Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 4/6  (Read 108230 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 4/6
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 07:01:15 AM »
I am excited about TC - while this year was rough at times, he was one that you saw grow every game - even as the game progressed like the Villanova game at home. 

I hope his attitude becomes the teams attitude next year. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 07:19:06 AM »
Carter became my favorite player in the loss in the Big East tournamnet. There was a point in the second half that he was in a stare down with a much bigger player. The camera shot showed him staring directly at the other player with no sign of fear. Maybe that is Philadelphia toughness, but I really liked what I saw. Even before that I believed he was going to have a big step up as a sophomore.
My prediction is that Carter and JJJ have big step ups, Wilson a better year and that Fischer and Cheatnam have a tougher going without Henry.The biggest unknown is what Heldt will do. He will get a lot more minutes next year. It is two bad he missed the end of the season with an injury, because he could of got some valuable experience.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 08:14:04 AM »
Sorry, headed out of country for a week. Ok a little extra tidbit. Talked to a Dad today in Peoria and his son will not be looking to be a grad transfer.

What'd a ya mean, Pops. Da internet reaches ta fookin' Uganda, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 08:15:59 AM »
Thanks as always BD! Scoop royalty

Seriously, make that man a shirt so I can buy it.  Big Daddy says we will win or something to that extent.  A+ all the way.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2016, 08:19:10 AM »
Carter became my favorite player in the loss in the Big East tournamnet. There was a point in the second half that he was in a stare down with a much bigger player. The camera shot showed him staring directly at the other player with no sign of fear. Maybe that is Philadelphia toughness, but I really liked what I saw. Even before that I believed he was going to have a big step up as a sophomore.
My prediction is that Carter and JJJ have big step ups, Wilson a better year and that Fischer and Cheatnam have a tougher going without Henry.The biggest unknown is what Heldt will do. He will get a lot more minutes next year. It is two bad he missed the end of the season with an injury, because he could of got some valuable experience.

My favorite TC moment was when he was kicking a little a$$ against Villanova and he went over to their bench and did some trash talking.  You couldn't tell what he said, but you know it was along the lines of "You should have recruited me!"

2nd favorite:  When he shot some clutch free throws (I forget which game) and turned around to gather high-fives from his teammates before the ball actually went through the hoop.

Confidence is not an issue with this one.
Have some patience, FFS.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2016, 08:40:25 AM »
Favorite player? Hand him the keys? Wha? This is a guy, a pg mind you, that has a turnover percentage at 29% and eFG% of 41%. He can't shoot the 3, has below average handles and can't defend without fouling...averages 5 fouls per 40 minutes. Those stats aren't just bad, they're downright awful. And then saluting him for acting like an idiot on the court? You actually like it when players mouth off to the bench? You can play with energy without getting in player's faces.

Howard didn't come to Marquette to sit behind Carter for 3 years, if he can't beat out Carter then he's way over-hyped.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2016, 08:48:04 AM »
Who else is leaving ?

Bailey might be going on a two year mission
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2016, 08:53:41 AM »
I have said it before and I will say it again, Traci will go down as Wojo's most important recruit.

IMO Howard was brought in here to score.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 08:55:18 AM »

He's always been going on it.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2016, 08:55:47 AM »
My favorite TC moment was when he was kicking a little a$$ against Villanova and he went over to their bench and did some trash talking.  You couldn't tell what he said, but you know it was along the lines of "You should have recruited me!"

2nd favorite:  When he shot some clutch free throws (I forget which game) and turned around to gather high-fives from his teammates before the ball actually went through the hoop.

Ummmm, someone better remind TC that 'nova just won the title without him. I would say they're doing just fine.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2016, 09:00:25 AM »

That was taken into account in determining that MU has just one more scholarship to give this year.  So, we're looking at either a high schooler or a grad transfer PF, not both, unless someone else leaves.

From what Big Daddy said, it sounds like Young won't come if Wojo tracks down a grad transfer at PF, so we're probably talking about one or the other anyway.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2016, 09:21:49 AM »
Carter became my favorite player in the loss in the Big East tournamnet. There was a point in the second half that he was in a stare down with a much bigger player. The camera shot showed him staring directly at the other player with no sign of fear.

You mean where he played 18 minutes, scored two points (free throws) had no assists and two turnovers?

Decent game there but he fouled out and his team lost by 15.

Look I have nothing against trash talking, celebrating and that stuff.  But really it doesn't mean anything to be "Philly tough" if the ball isn't going in the hoop or you're turning it over.  In fact that crap will get exceedingly old if he doesn't improve.

That said, I think he will improve.  Then that other stuff will mean something then.

My favorite game was when he went 5/7 at home v. Butler and by and large played in control.  And when he didn't, Wojo pulled him and put Haanif in, and he was still a leader on the bench.  That is what I want to see more of.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 09:23:27 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2016, 09:23:13 AM »
That was taken into account in determining that MU has just one more scholarship to give this year.  So, we're looking at either a high schooler or a grad transfer PF, not both, unless someone else leaves.

From what Big Daddy said, it sounds like Young won't come if Wojo tracks down a grad transfer at PF, so we're probably talking about one or the other anyway.

Agreed.

While I would welcome Reinhardt, he isn't a PF.  He's a G/SF, that doesn't rebound much.  We really need a PF.

Also not sure Kalif Young is the answer next year at PF - again, I'd take him, but not unless we have a grad transfer PF coming.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2016, 09:25:25 AM »
Man you guys like to whine a lot. 2 facts. TCH was a Frosh and made Frosh mistakes. He does not handle the ball poorly and yes he can shoot respectably. As to his confidence, that will become more positively focused as he matures.  Fact 2: As fantastic a recruit as Marcus is, he arrives on campus at 17. Give that a second or two to sink in. Seventeen. Give the kid a chance to settle in.

Anyway,  thanks for all the info BD. Guess Wojo does have a plan.  ::)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2016, 09:26:14 AM »
Do we dare bring up the fact that we have no transfers out of the program (yet)?  8-)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2016, 09:28:49 AM »
Man you guys like to whine a lot. 2 facts. TCH was a Frosh and made Frosh mistakes.

Who's "whining?"  No one.  People are pointing out statistical facts about his game and saying that if he doesn't improve, all that brashness doesn't matter.  Is that wrong?

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2016, 09:30:00 AM »
Do we dare bring up the fact that we have no transfers out of the program (yet)?  8-)

Dammit!! Do you understand the sh!tstorm you've just unleashed? That's like saying "Beetlejuice" three times.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2016, 09:37:14 AM »
Dammit!! Do you understand the sh!tstorm you've just unleashed? That's like saying "Beetlejuice" three times.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2016, 09:39:50 AM »

Figurin' Nova knew what they were doin' and got da last laugh, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2016, 09:40:52 AM »
Favorite player? Hand him the keys? Wha? This is a guy, a pg mind you, that has a turnover percentage at 29% and eFG% of 41%. He can't shoot the 3, has below average handles and can't defend without fouling...averages 5 fouls per 40 minutes. Those stats aren't just bad, they're downright awful. And then saluting him for acting like an idiot on the court? You actually like it when players mouth off to the bench? You can play with energy without getting in player's faces.

Howard didn't come to Marquette to sit behind Carter for 3 years, if he can't beat out Carter then he's way over-hyped.

Damn straight, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2016, 09:52:42 AM »

Who's "whining?"  No one.  People are pointing out statistical facts about his game and saying that if he doesn't improve, all that brashness doesn't matter.  Is that wrong?

I suppose what I'm suggesting is that BD makes a simple statement that probably almost directly from the coaching staff and all the armchairs start up like TC is some incompetent schlub and that a historically young player must almost certainly be an immediately better choice.  Back-up QB syndrome. But I suppose we're good at that around here.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2016, 09:54:02 AM »
I suppose what I'm suggesting is that BD makes a simple statement that probably almost directly from the coaching staff and all the armchairs start up like TC is some incompetent schlub and that a historically young player must almost certainly be an immediately better choice.  Back-up QB syndrome. But I suppose we're good at that around here.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree with that. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2016, 09:59:37 AM »
Wouldn't it be fantastic if Markus could learn and grow this year in a support role and if he sets the world on fire,  well even better.

So based on what BD said,  I wonder if we're even talking to Kostas anymore?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2016, 10:04:02 AM »
Wouldn't it be fantastic if Markus could learn and grow this year in a support role and if he sets the world on fire,  well even better.

I highly doubt it.  I believe that Wojo is looking for more immediate help.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2016, 10:05:26 AM »

Doubtful. I think it is Kalif or a grad transfer. That's it.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.