Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler game thread  (Read 11514 times)

Fred Garvin

• All American
Re: Butler game thread
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2017, 10:19:09 PM »
This team reminds me of the Packers,the offense has to carry the defense,if that don't happen,they don't win

tower912

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2017, 10:20:46 PM »
You blame the guy who went 9-14, 19 points, 13 rebounds, 2 assists , 1 steal,  and 4 blocks for the loss? That speaks volumes.

Yeah, no agenda there.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
You blame the guy who went 9-14, 19 points, 13 rebounds, 2 assists , 1 steal,  and 4 blocks for the loss? That speaks volumes.

Johnson, Cheatham, Reinhardt, and Rowsey had rough outings tonight. Any one of them has a slightly better outing and we win the game. If Howard doesn't get stuffed 5 times we win the game. If Rowsey doesn't get three soft fouls called on him we probably win the game.

+1....

Rowsey, KR and JJJ were 4 for 18 and some of those were just, well, terrible.  Heck one of the 4 was a 35 footer KR took with 20 seconds left on clock and actually went in.   

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2017, 10:23:10 PM »

Johnson, Cheatham, Reinhardt, and Rowsey had rough outings tonight. Any one of them has a slightly better outing and we win the game. If Howard doesn't get stuffed 5 times we win the game. If Rowsey doesn't get three soft fouls called on him we probably win the game.

Dont disagree but with that being said howard was trying to make a play.  did he miss uncontested layins or free throws or have rebounds land in his lap n drop out of bounds.  Winners make the winning plays during winning time
This team lacks winners in the senior class
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 10:25:51 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2017, 10:25:27 PM »
And Luke was trying to make a play.  And lead like a senior.  And you continue to be agenda driven.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2017, 10:27:39 PM »
And Luke was trying to make a play.  And lead like a senior.  And you continue to be agenda driven.

Dont disagree but certain players always make those plays n certain players rarely do.  Fine line between winning n losing, its unfortunate

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2017, 10:44:55 PM »
Dont disagree but with that being said howard was trying to make a play.  did he miss uncontested layins or free throws or have rebounds land in his lap n drop out of bounds.  Winners make the winning plays during winning time

Again, I'm not sure what uncontested layins you are talking about. You and I might just have different definitions of uncontested.

Missed FTs, yep, they happen. Big surprise a 6-11 center struggles hitting free throws. On the list of issues in this game, no where near close to the top.

I know the dropped rebound you are talking about. There was a scrum, two Butler players were bumping and clawing for it. It gets knocked loose and Fischer touches it last. Again, it happens.

You are focused on the couple of small mistakes the best player on the team tonight made rather than the much bigger and more numerous mistakes others made. Why?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2017, 10:47:42 PM »
We just have to play better defense

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2017, 10:51:19 PM »
We just have to play better defense

I really don't think defense was our problem tonight. For us this was elite level defense. We didn't achieve our normal offensive efficiency.
TAMU

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2017, 10:51:59 PM »
I really don't think defense was our problem tonight. For us this was elite level defense. We didn't achieve our normal offensive efficiency.
I said in another thread but some players have to drive more and attack the rim

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2017, 10:58:53 PM »
I said in another thread but some players have to drive more and attack the rim

We attacked the rim a lot more tonight than we usually did. The results just weren't good. Johnson 0/4, Markus 1/6, Cheatham 0/2, Rowsey 0/1. There were also some drives that didn't get shots off but resulted in turnovers.

Butler won because they ran us off the three point line. We only attempted 21 threes which is below our average. The attempts we got weren't good either resulting in 8/21. We were lucky to get that as Reinhardt made an atrocious shot and at least 2 of Markus' makes were contested.

I think Rowsey's fouls really hurt us. He needs the least amount of space of anyone to get the the three off.
TAMU

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2017, 11:09:41 PM »
We attacked the rim a lot more tonight than we usually did. The results just weren't good. Johnson 0/4, Markus 1/6, Cheatham 0/2, Rowsey 0/1. There were also some drives that didn't get shots off but resulted in turnovers.

Our smaller guys have to dish more on the drive.  One problem we have is that other than Fischer, our other guards rarely make themselves available for the dish when we drive.  We sometimes have Fischer and usually guys in the corners.  Not that hard to defend.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brandx

« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2017, 11:22:18 PM »
Defense wasn't bad in the second half our offense absolutely sucked

Huh?? Their slowest player took it to the hole whenever he wanted.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2017, 11:26:12 PM »
Defense wasnt good but wasnt terrible in the second half.  Game was lost in the last 10 minutes of the first half where butler scored about 25 of their 68 points

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2017, 11:42:33 PM »
Well at least Andrew "MU Killer" Chrabascz is gone next year
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2017, 07:41:31 AM »

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2017, 07:42:59 AM »
When the announcers call out MU for having zero clue defensively, something is wrong.
Was at the game. Guessing that was Steve Lappas. He knows the game and will say it.

leever

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2017, 08:27:41 AM »
Direct quote from Lappas -

"Luke Fischer cannot guard anyone off the bounce at all!"

Defense was horrible.

Other than that, he had a fantastic game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2017, 08:34:44 AM »
Direct quote from Lappas -

"Luke Fischer cannot guard anyone off the bounce at all!"

Defense was horrible.

Other than that, he had a fantastic game.

Good thing most centers, especially in college, can't go off the bounce.  He was scholarship player problem number 9 out of 9 scholarship players last night.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter