[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UWM fans think MU ran up the score, who cares?  (Read 8953 times)

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
Re: UWM fans think MU ran up the score, who cares?
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 10:27:47 AM »
I'm not sure what you're supposed to do when the other team completely stops playing defense. How many uncontested layups did we have in the last 10 minutes? This isn't CYO hoops, it's D1 basketball. I also remember that one of the main criticisms people have had of Tom Crean is that when we're leading a game late, he has a tendency to instruct the team to dribble out the clock and play for long possessions. A couple of times, like against Louisville at the BC in 2005, we ended up losing the game. Now, I don't think there was anyway for
UWM to get back into this game with under 5 minutes to go, but why risk it? And for those of you who slammed Crean in the past for taking the air out of the ball...well, who are you crapping? Don't crap me.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 10:30:07 AM »
Were we pressing Oklahoma State late in the game?

PRN, if Crean cured cancer and ended world poverty would you be ok with it?   ;D

That would be unbelievable, but I'm not sure it would increase his likability.

sigep80

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2007, 10:32:54 AM »
Let's look at this game in the bigger scheme of things.  MU's last game was a loss to Duke, their next game is against a ranked rival.  The team is nationally ranked and has high expectations for winning conference titles and playing late in March.  

Crean's biggest objective in the game should have been to get his team to play the best that they could.  He should have cared less about how well his oponent was (or was not) playing.  

It should have been all about getting his team to play better each and every game.  I would say that was accomplished Friday night.

Warriors Forever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 10:39:40 AM »
"I can't be bothered either way. There was no way this game would put MU in a positive light. "

Amen!! There was nothing to gain by playing this uw hyphen m team!!! I said it from the beginning. MU is 35-0 against them. The only thing this game has done is to shut up the kiddies for another year. But they will be back again and again and again. *yawn*

This game was about as boring as I can remember. Felt like an exhibition game, except louder.

chefrad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 11:28:25 AM »

>>Goes to show that the guerilla tactics started by Pearl and continued by Haidet have accomplished something in terms of perception.<<

Only because the delta-minus morons at the JS bought into it.

There never was a plus in it for Marquette.  Coaches are wise to Pearl; Texas sure as hell was.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 11:30:23 AM »

I don't recall us pressing much if any during the OkState game.  Probably meaning it wasn't in the game plan.  However, UWM has very weak guards and I'm sure ball pressure on the perimeter was in the gameplan. (Meaning the entire game not just for 1/2 the game...needed to get used to it as well as what kind of rotations we are good with when we play UW Madison seeing as how they have weak guard play also.)  Funny, you try to utilize every moment of a game of a practice to help improve your team.   :-\ How come people can't understand this?  Not only should players play 100% at all times, coaches need to continue to see how their team plays in different situations, combinations, tempos....I think our guards are very prepared for Saturday's game and gauging our inside game vs Wisconsin's front court we'll need to offset their strength as best we can.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
However, UWM has very weak guards and I'm sure ball pressure on the perimeter was in the gameplan. (Meaning the entire game not just for 1/2 the game...needed to get used to it as well as what kind of rotations we are good with when we play UW Madison seeing as how they have weak guard play also.)  Funny, you try to utilize every moment of a game of a practice to help improve your team. 

Could not have said it better.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2007, 01:46:40 PM »

PRN, if Crean cured cancer and ended world poverty would you be ok with it?   ;D

That would be unbelievable, but I'm not sure it would increase his likability.

You don't have to like the guy to respect the work he has done, or to be objective about his abilities.

I'm not sure if I think Crean is a great guy (I don't know him personally).

I do believe that he, and his teams, represent MU well by running a successful and entertaining program that all students and alumni can take pride in.

It's really that simple. Trust me.

Just sit back and enjoy. Whether its eagles or warriors, Al, Hank or Tom, it's just fun to be a fan and watch your team compete at the highest levels.

Enjoy it, guys.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2007, 04:12:02 PM »

>> Re: "This series is good for the city"
« Reply #35 on Dec 1, 2007, 12:37am » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I need to vent:

I am totally embarrassed and left the game in complete humiliation with 7 minutes left. UW-M (hyphen use intentional) was totally outclassed in every aspect. I now realize that UW-M will forever be a joke with a random good year thrown in for the evil teasing purposes of Satan for the rest of my natural life.

The MU band was bigger than the average UW-M student section, the presentation of the game was top flight and without any glitches, the students were organized and involved (read: actually watching the game), and the fans and alums were numerous, proud, and involved. In every single way UW-M is so far from this level that Waukesha North High School is actually closer to MU in each respect.

I am dejected and have lost almost all faith and desire. I may not renew my season tickets next year, nor will I donate, unless there are dramatic improvements in our AD and University Administration causing changes allowing the athletics program rise to the level of a real 30,000 student urban State University, not a large community college.

UW-M was a nice place to get a degree, but I now am coming to realize that I am one of about 16 people in the universe that want, and is willing, to work to make UW-M more than Super-MATC.

I should have gone to Madison, Marquette, Carroll College or Cardinal Stritch if I wanted to have an alma matter that took sports more seriously, with students with school pride, and to have hope for future success.

I am now more like all the other disinterested alums that went to UW-M, got my degree, and moved on, never to look back again.

I will never seek to put UW-M on a par with Marquette from this day forward.

I feel like a loved one was just brutally murdered in front of me and I was powerless to do anything about it.

I feel stupid. I feel used. I feel violated.

I will now light myself on fire.

I reserve the right to retract or modify any part of this post, as I am emotionally not well at this time.

Or am I just being "a pain in the ass" again?

[/quote]
__________________-

I was hoping that Crean would run up the score, but wow, did MU take the wind out of UWM's sails or what.  Just thought this was an amusing post by an UWM fan.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 04:17:45 PM by MUinCO »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2007, 04:20:22 PM »
5 minutes to go UW was up 53-37, 16 points.  UWM scored with just under 6 minutes left and then didn't score a single point the remainder of the game.

I looked at the play by play (see below).  Marquette was up by 35 at the 5:10 mark (91-56).  They won by 35 (100-65).  So we obviously didn't run up the score the last 5 minutes.  I guess they had a problem with the 10-5 minute mark?  Quite honestly... too bad.  If we had poured it on the last five minutes they may have something to gripe about....

http://www.ncaasports.com/basketball/mens/gamecenter/playbyplay/NCAAB_20071130_WISMIL@MARQET

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2007, 04:55:03 PM »
5 minutes to go UW was up 53-37, 16 points.  UWM scored with just under 6 minutes left and then didn't score a single point the remainder of the game.

I looked at the play by play (see below).  Marquette was up by 35 at the 5:10 mark (91-56).  They won by 35 (100-65).  So we obviously didn't run up the score the last 5 minutes.  I guess they had a problem with the 10-5 minute mark?  Quite honestly... too bad.  If we had poured it on the last five minutes they may have something to gripe about....

http://www.ncaasports.com/basketball/mens/gamecenter/playbyplay/NCAAB_20071130_WISMIL@MARQET

You're right. Looking at that link it's apparent that we could have scored more. I guess we got distracted and decided to just jack up three pointers in the last five minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2007, 05:23:11 PM »
Will somebody please explain why this matters with the real UW only 5 days away.   Marquette punked UWM.   End of story.   After all that has been said and done by the Milwaukee media about this game, who, other than PRN, can possibly blame TC if he ran it up?   Now, let it go and focus on something that matters.   Saturday's game, maybe?    Geez.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2007, 07:35:28 PM »
Will somebody please explain why this matters with the real UW only 5 days away.   Marquette punked UWM.   End of story.   After all that has been said and done by the Milwaukee media about this game, who, other than PRN, can possibly blame TC if he ran it up?   Now, let it go and focus on something that matters.   Saturday's game, maybe?    Geez.

HarveysWallbangers seems to spend alot of time here bitching about MU & Crean too.   ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

4everwarriors

• All American
Ziggy, Bro,...
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2007, 08:07:50 PM »
I'm insulted that you didn't think of me.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:09:48 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2007, 08:21:29 PM »

Amen.
Who would have thought MU fans would out-whine UWM fans (all 19 of them) on this topic?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Ziggy, Bro,...
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2007, 09:20:16 PM »
I'm insulted that you didn't think of me.

you've mellowed out too much, cat.  I think you actually sort of like the guy.   :o

Pardner

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2007, 10:48:05 PM »
Gents--TC lacks the killer instinct.  We could have been rated Top 5 ahead of Duke or Pittsburgh if we had a tougher schedule like these guys.  This is how to do it:

Duke 143-Shaw 55
Duke 105-Barton 44
Duke 121-NC Central Central 56
Pitt 103-Houston Baptist 62
Pitt 88-NC A&P 61
Duke 82-UW Rat Tails 58

Less garbage time treys next game and more pressing.  Scorched earth.  No letting up like against the bunnies in order to maintain our image.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2007, 08:48:02 AM »
Does anyone else like me want Marquette to run up the score against UWM the next 3 years as well? 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2007, 09:28:10 AM »
Since we beat them by 35 to go 35-0, how about beating them by 36 next year, 37 in '09  etcetera?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2007, 09:34:50 AM »
Great idea!

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2007, 01:57:32 PM »
I'd like to start our reserves, and still beat them by 35.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2007, 05:38:20 PM »
MU is a very deep team, so there is some truth to the above post. Frankly, complaining about the final score or in some cases referees is for losers. Hearing UWM whining about the final score is no differenet about us whining on Sunday about the refs at the UW game.

mcnaulty21

• Walk-On
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2007, 01:40:57 AM »
Since we beat them by 35 to go 35-0, how about beating them by 36 next year, 37 in '09  etcetera?
This fact was not lost on me. I was hoping for either us doubling their score or winning by 35.

I was in no way disappointed
Warrior 'til I die

feedback