'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] We are what we are?  (Read 9529 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] We are what we are?
« on: October 21, 2007, 07:45:05 PM »
We are what we are?
Recruiting for the freshman class of 2008 could not be more disappointing of late. After the fast start more than a year ago -- an early commitment from the talented Nick Williams -- MU has gone o-fer its top targets. The promise of landing a breakthrough, national recruiting class has quickly given way to doubt, frustration, and resignation about the appeal and status of the program.

The status quo remains. MU will continue to be a successful program built on the backs of the unheralded, the under-recruited, the ignored, the occasional recruiting coup, and the overachiever.

Not long ago a class of Frank Ben-Eze, Iman Shumpert, Jared Swopshire (or similar) and Nick Williams seemed plausible. After all, Crean was selling a starting center opportunity (but lost Ben-Eze), a likely starting PG slot (but lost Shumpert), and perhaps a starting SF slot (but lost Swopshire, among others).

As if on cue, when this class' bellwether target committed to Georgia Tech last week MU accepted a verbal from a player who previously pledged to a mediocre program in the Sun Belt Conference. Keep in mind, this is a player who has yet to visit MU, which is exceptionally odd since Crean has cooled on some players during official visits (as a commenter below pointed out). Obviously, Joseph Fulce fits the profile of this program.

There is clearly a recruiting ceiling at Marquette; it has been some two decades since the program lured a legitimate national top-25 player to campus. Sadly, Marquette is not a destination program for the nation's elite prospects. Meanwhile, MU fans watch as Georgetown, Syracuse, and Louisville reload with A-list talent as Crean scrambles for options C, D, E and F.

Some fans will take solace in noting that MU is getting closer on some of these big-time players, but college basketball is not darts. Close means nothing, recruiting is pass/fail. And while MU seems to offer more than a dozen kids in any given class and chases elite prospects all over the place, the payoff remains negligible.

The good news for MU fans is that Tom Crean has figured out how to build and sustain a strong program with these types of players. Crean is a master at finding diamonds in the rough, and has proven himself to be an outstanding evaluator and developer of backcourt talent. These traits will continue to serve MU well as the program matures under his stewardship. And frankly, despite these tough recruiting losses of late the program is still loaded with talent -- although its highest-ceiling talent are now upper classmen.

No offense, but you don't build a top 25 program by playing guys like Hazel, Burke or Cubillan for 30 minutes a night. It is time for a recruiting breakthrough or five. For the 2008 class, let's circle the wagons and hope for the best. Inking Tyshawn Taylor and Chris OTule would be a terrific recovery for MU -- and that is still possible.

Still, the incoming 2009 group just became the most important incoming freshman class since the impressive haul headed by the Three Amigos. Erik Williams seems like a good start, though you have to wonder what the recent overloading at the SF slot means for the uber-talented Jamil Wilson of Racine.

Time for a rebound on the recruiting trail. Maybe a breakthrough?

Well, hope springs eternal.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2007/10/we-are-what-we-are.html
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 07:46:20 PM by mu_hilltopper »

NotAnAlum

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] We are what we are?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 08:45:21 PM »
what can I say but ditto.  I agree 100%.  The problem with diamonds in the rough and betting on over achieving is that you are more likely to "run out of gas".  I think much of Crean's post season problems have been that the teams that go far are able to elevate their games over the reg season.  MU's guys may not be able to do that because they were already getting 100% out of their talent during the reg season.  The one final 4 season you had one guy, D Wade, who had that additional ceiling and used it the second weekend of the tounement.  Otherwise these early toune exits may be more the fault of insufficient talent than problems with Creans post season coaching.

4everwarriors

• All American
Cracked...
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:05:51 PM »
you're preachin' to the choir.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 09:43:04 PM »
It is super disappointing that we lost all three.  And I have to wonder why that is.  What makes these guys narrow it down to 3 schools including MU and then book for other programs?  What is it that makes them do that?

I think we have done well with what we have, and I think the remaining stars on our target list should be thinking even more seriously about coming here.  With a couple of polished diamonds, a and a few in the rough, we can soar with the big boys.

Taylor and OTule - come to MU!

tomcrean4pres

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 11:10:08 PM »
For some reason as previously stated TC has a problem sealing the deal... he can get us to the door step just not through it... i think we will get one of our top recruits in the next two years (either Jamil Wilson or Evan Anderson) just a hunch though...
***Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. ***

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 11:37:55 PM »
Good read.

Unfortunately for MU, historically winning programs mean jack crap to these guys. Look at St. John's. In the heart of NYC and they can't get recruits to come in and stay.

What also hurts is the tendency for High-Caliber players to gravitate toward each other...call it the "Fab Five" syndrome. Duke, UNC, Zona, UL, and I'm sure GTown now experience these clumps of recruits at one time. It's like when one goes, so goes the other.

I think Crean acknowledged this phenomenon as he has tried to recruit classmates of 5-star/high 4-star preps only to get the short stick and stuck with the lesser talent (read: Nick Williams).
SS Marquette

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 06:39:43 AM »
For some reason as previously stated TC has a problem sealing the deal... he can get us to the door step just not through it... i think we will get one of our top recruits in the next two years (either Jamil Wilson or Evan Anderson) just a hunch though...

sure hope so on Wilson and Anderson.  Either would be a tremendous addition to the program - and a shot in the arm for the program nationally.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 07:24:27 AM »
I really think part of the problem is not winning NCAA tournament games. We need to get to the sweet 16 this year.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 08:01:23 AM »
Ding ding, bilsu.

Indeed, when you look around, there's a lot of positives .. great facility, bball school only, NBA arena, top 15 attendance, BE conference = playing the big boys, ESPN, occasionally bump into DWade .. 3 NBA recent draftees .. big name coach, high academic standards = we graduate.

On the downside .. Milwaukee's climate and atmosphere, not all kids can handle TC's regimen, and .. lack of recent NCAA success (yikes.  one NCAA with at least one win in 11 seasons.  Heck, we're talking about 15-18 year olds.  Basically MU has had one good year in their eyes.)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 08:04:39 AM »
Ding ding, bilsu.

Indeed, when you look around, there's a lot of positives .. great facility, bball school only, NBA arena, top 15 attendance, BE conference = playing the big boys, ESPN, occasionally bump into DWade .. 3 NBA recent draftees .. big name coach, high academic standards = we graduate.

On the downside .. Milwaukee's climate and atmosphere, not all kids can handle TC's regimen, and .. lack of recent NCAA success (yikes.  one NCAA with at least one win in 11 seasons.  Heck, we're talking about 15-18 year olds.  Basically MU has had one good year in their eyes.)

nice.  I'll throw one more in ....... turnover on the assistant coaching staff.   Perhaps if TC had greater continuity on his staff, much of the angst over him possibly leaving -- and the negative recruiting that is built around that,  would be less of an issue.......at this point he's been there since the kids he's recruiting were like 8 yrs old - - incredible that its still an issue.  Having a longer tenured staff could help there.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 08:16:04 AM »
While I'm disappointed that MU didn't get it's top targets, I'm not terribly concerned (yet).

Obviously MU needs to bring in top talent in order to rise to the next level, however I really believe that in a larger sense some of recruiting is just a numbers game.

If MU heavily recruits 2 "top 25 type players" per class for the next 3 seasons (that's 6 top talent players), they are probably going to land 1 or 2.... which means they are going to miss out on 4 or more.

10 years ago, MU was recruiting against the likes of Dayton, DePaul, SLU, SIU, Bradley, etc. MU landed some guys, and lost some guys.

The past 3 years (and certainly the way next year is shaping up as well) MU has been competing with UNC, GT, UofL, UW, UF, MSU, etc.

Now, I know that there really aren't any "moral victories" in recruiting, but I do think that in order to get top recruits, MU is going to have to lose out on top recruits. It's a numbers game. Recruit 6 or so top 25 guys, and probably land 1 or 2. Obviously we would like to land them all, but that is not realistic (at this point).

Maybe I'm just too optimistic... but I just know that MU is going to keep recruiting top guys... and they are going to miss on the majority of them because that is simply what the numbers indicate.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 09:14:56 AM by 2002mualum »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 08:58:14 AM »
All good posts.  I guess I would ask the "next question"....could someone else out there do it better?  Would someone else come to MU, put in the time, stay, and do better than the current staff?

I don't see it.  I know some people believe John Wooden is waiting in the wings and biting at the bit to step in.  Others, 4ever being one of them, lists a bunch of has beens or potential up and comers that haven't proven a thing long term.

Yeah, we just lost 3 guys...that's the danger of recruiting so close to the Sun as it were.  Alvarez did the same thing at Madison years ago and kept finishing up bride's maid.

I think you have to keep going with the approach until you breakthrough...my only problem with this entire year is Crittle.  A kid that wanted to come here and "we cooled on him" per IWB and others.  Well, if the kid is good enough to go to Oregon he's good enough to come here.  That was my only problem with this attempt.

Hopefully we land some of the other kids we're recruiting.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 09:22:57 AM »
Can people please remember that MU isn't the easiest environment to sell? Bad weather and classes to attend are two things Pitino doesn't have to deal with. That's not letting TC off the hook completely; for $1.whatever million he's expected to pull in a few big fish.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 09:29:18 AM »
Great blog entry and solid points all the way around.  I was actually working on a separate post, but this seems like a good enough place as any to enter.

I would actually characterize what we are as "There is clearly a recruiting ceiling at Marquette right now"

Long ago, I read a book by George Leonard that was titled "Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment".  It's been ages since I read the book, but the one thing that stuck with me is the following graph.

The premise of the book is that mastery of any item is based upon long plateaus, followed by a sudden uptick and then a regression down.  Another long plateau then begins at a higher level than before.  The key point, as emphasized by the author, is to focus on the process and doing things the right way, even as what we as humans really desire is results.

This is sort of how I view building a basketball program.  Let's define an uptick as a "long NCAA run or sustainable NCAA success".  Right now, Marquette has already had the initial sudden uptick and regression downward, and now we are on the second, long plateau.  Hopefully, this year will be the year that we have another long, NCAA run or begin sustainable NCAA success.

Now, let's define an uptick as "higher quality recruits".  Again, Marquette has had a couple upticks (three amigos all RCSI top 100) and I would argue that we are sort of at a plateau in recruiting right now.  The loss of Shumpert hurts, because it would have almost certainly resulted in the next breakthrough or uptick.  My brother-in-law and I were practically salivating at the prospect of a lineup with Shumpert in the mix.  Unfortunately, at least from the recruiting perspective, we are still at the plateau.  All we can do is hope that Crean really keeps at the next wave of high level recruits for the eventual uptick in results.

A few final comments.  Recruiting is precisely a results-oriented industry.  A good process counts for sh*t if you can't get the job done.  However, you can't get the job done if you don't have a good process. 

Also, co-sign on the idea that recruiting level is highly correlated with NCAA success.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 09:36:53 AM »
I'd say we define an uptick as winning game(s) in the NCAAs. 

Recruiting is just a lagging indicator of what's to come for the end-goal: NCAA wins.

(Admittedly, a weak lagging indicator, but certainly a factor, combined with coaching.)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 10:06:56 AM »
Recruiting is just a lagging indicator of what's to come for the end-goal: NCAA wins.

(Admittedly, a weak lagging indicator, but certainly a factor, combined with coaching.)

Splitting hairs, but I disagree.  I think that recruiting upticks are separate from NCAA win upticks.  I think that they're two separate factors that are fairly highly correlated.

Totally agree that this all boils down to the end goal of NCAA wins.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 10:08:06 AM »
Can people please remember that MU isn't the easiest environment to sell? Bad weather and classes to attend are two things Pitino doesn't have to deal with. That's not letting TC off the hook completely; for $1.whatever million he's expected to pull in a few big fish.

No doubt.......its just incredibly frustrating to miss on your top targets across the board, regardless of national ranking.   Ben-Eze, while not as highly ranked as Shumpert, was a much bigger loss IMHO. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 10:08:49 AM »
Part of what makes Crean a successful coach, I believe, is what makes him an average (at best) recruiter. His personality. After a lot of hard work to get on these guys' short lists, they end up weighing playing for Crean vs. playing for Paul Hewitt, Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, even Bob Huggins.

It's not Milwaukee they're rejecting.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 10:18:03 AM »
Part of what makes Crean a successful coach, I believe, is what makes him an average (at best) recruiter. His personality. After a lot of hard work to get on these guys' short lists, they end up weighing playing for Crean vs. playing for Paul Hewitt, Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, even Bob Huggins.

Perhaps. I just don't see why a kid would keep MU in his top 3 for months only to reject Crean at the end. It's not like Crean can hide the enthusiasm. If a kid is not rejecting Milwaukee and in fact rejecting Crean (inferring from your sentence) why not do it straight away and save the hassle rather then keep interest until the end? I can't imagine after all that time knowing Crean that FBE, Shumpert, Swopshire, et al. would suddenly at the end decide against him. They would do it before it got to that point.

As for the assistant coach turnover this is an important issue. However, I also think it's bloated for MU people. Louisville has had much uproar over their coaching ranks and recruiting seems on the same level. Georgetown just lost their entire staff in the last 6 months and JTIII landed the best prospect in the country. AC turnover didn't seem to hurt that one.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 10:32:48 AM »

You might be right, but we really don't know why they aren't coming to MU, and it's probably a combination of things.

Could be campus, city, facilities, classes, teammates, dorms, food, school colors, girls, etc.

These are 18yr old kids and their parents that you are dealing with, so you never know what the wild card really is. Where to go to school is a very personal decision.

The poll you performed before was interesting, but also stated: "All things being equal". In the real world, not all things are equal for any given recruit, and that is why we don't really know why MU has missed on some of these kids (could be Crean as you stated, but it's most likely the entire mix of things at MU)

At the end of the day, we are obviously looking for results, but I really like Henry Sugar's post with the graph. I think that is right on with where MU is at.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 10:34:45 AM by 2002mualum »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 11:19:35 AM »

I'm not really sure what this means.  He has closed the deal on plenty of top 100 kids

Merritt
Diener
James
Matthews
Mkwabe
McNeal
Novak
etc

Certainly some that he hasn't.

I'm going to enjoy this upcoming season because we should have a terrific club, as deep as we have been in arguably 2 decades.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 11:23:54 AM »

Again, I ask you to talk to Diener, Wade, Novak, etc to see if you know what you are talking about.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 11:42:26 AM »
I may get banded for saying this but as long as we are brainstorming for a reason as to why we get so close but not all the way could it have anything to do with the fact that we don't have a black coach or promenent first assistant?  I've got to believe that has something to do with Thompson's success at G-town.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 11:46:35 AM »

Again, I ask you to talk to Diener, Wade, Novak, etc to see if you know what you are talking about.

Not sure I see your reasoning. Are you saying Diener, Wade and Novak would be familiar with the reasons our top target recruits are rejecting us to play elsewhere?

I fully understand that those three came to MU and enjoyed success. The question is, why aren't other recruits? Why are we losing players so consistently? Why are we being forced to accept marginal students, JC transfers and players our head coach has never even seen play?

Really, the only player we've signed recently where we honestly had to beat out a top notch competitor was Matthews, and much of his decision was based on the desire to separate himself from his father's legacy. Heck, even Notre Dame has outrecruited us recently and I think MU has a much better basketball program.

Chicos -- there's a reason these kids are saying no. I obviously don't know why, but
I have suspicions.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 11:53:47 AM »
Quote from: SIGMUND FREUDlink=topic=4119.msg34379#msg34379 date=1193065729

It's not Milwaukee they're rejecting.  This is called projecting.

Sigmund Freud'd again'd

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2007, 12:07:58 PM »
James had an offer from Purdue (they really wanted him) and I beleive Lazar was offered by U-Conn along with Wes who as you said was offered by WI so its not like we always lose.  However, it seems we've had more than our share of disappointment.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 12:22:22 PM »
wow, great posts, and I couldn't agree more re loss of FBE being much more painful than loss of IS in terms of need, however, IS had an aura as a top 15 (concensus) player that can't be duplicated.  A true 'coup' for us would be to land a top 25 center (obviously).  Then I think, building on him, we could recruit power forwards and so on.  As far as the list of recent sucesses, few of them were actually concensus top 100 recruits- some were 3 star-rated for one reason or another.  As we all know, team chemistry is vital to wins, and many 5 stars fail to perform as expected.  With that caveat in mind, I assume we can salvage the class, but I don't want another year of 'pissing on my leg and telling me it's raining.'

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2007, 12:47:52 PM »
We ARE a concensus pre-season top 15 school.   We ARE a team with 20 conference wins in two years in the BE.   We ARE as deep a team as MU has had since the Carter administration.   We ARE going to have our best team and probably best season since the FF year.
Guys, we lost out on two of our top targets.   The school didn't close down, the plane didn't crash, TC wasn't found in bed with PRN or Murf.    The program is in good hands.    We will continue to get quality recruits and miss out on others.    We AREN'T Duke, KU, UNC.   We can't just show up and have the kids fling themselves at us like an asian carp in the Mississippi river.    In through the nose, hold, out through the mouth.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 01:00:30 PM »
TC's only exceptional recruiting classes were his first class and the first BE/McGuire Center class. I could be wrong on this, but he might be spreading himself to thin by having too many recruits on the radar at any one time----Al was just the opposite as he targeted just a couple guys each year and spent all his time (when he wasn't playing gin rummey with his cronies) on them.

It seems to me that when you target oodles of recruits at the same time you spread yourself pretty thin and would also seem to me like the old Abbott & Costello sitcom joke where Lou Costello is confused about who is on first base, who is on 2nd base, and who is on 3rd!

Focus is very important in recruiting!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2007, 01:34:28 PM »
Really, the only player we've signed recently where we honestly had to beat out a top notch competitor was Matthews, and much of his decision was based on the desire to separate himself from his father's legacy. Heck, even Notre Dame has outrecruited us recently and I think MU has a much better basketball program.

Chicos -- there's a reason these kids are saying no. I obviously don't know why, but
I have suspicions.

When Shumpert chose GT over UNC, was it Roy Williams' fault? Was it Roy's Huckleberry Hound appearance that turned him off? How about when Kevin Love chose UCLA over Duke and Kansas? Was he saying "yes" to Howland, or was it "No" to Coach K and Bill Self?
These kids aren't saying 'No' to Marquette. They're saying 'Yes' to other schools, likely for a variety of reasons ranging from playing time to the campus to the weather to, perhaps even the coach. But it's extremely unlikely MU is a finalist for Shumpert or any of these other kids they've lost out on if the player had a problem with Crean. If Crean's personality were as off-putting as you claim, Marquette wouldn't get very far with these kids. It's not as if kids are beating down the door to come to Marquette like they are with Duke, UNC, Kansas and a few others. If MU gets to be a finalist qith a top-flite player, it's largely because of Tom Crean.
Why the heck would Shumpert have ranked Marquette in his top 3 if he found Tom Crean to be so distasteful? He wouldn't.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2007, 02:34:15 PM »
James had an offer from Purdue (they really wanted him) and I beleive Lazar was offered by U-Conn along with Wes who as you said was offered by WI so its not like we always lose

We've actually beat out a lot of top notch programs for  lot of guys heres a list of offers that they got according to rivals

Mbakwe- Wisconsin, Florida, Georgetown, Illinois
Chistopherson- Wisconsin, Washington State
Hayward- Pitt, Virginia (It says no offer by Uconn)
James- Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue, Iowa
Matthews- Wisconsin, Georgia Tech
Amo- Minnesota, Iowa State
Novak- Illinois, Florida

Thats just a sampling of some of the players and big names we beat out, all in all we close on some guys we dont on others, its an individual basis. You can't sign everyone

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2007, 03:26:36 PM »
All good posts.  I guess I would ask the "next question"....could someone else out there do it better?  Would someone else come to MU, put in the time, stay, and do better than the current staff?

If I had to pick a name out of the hat it would be Steve Alford; he has done a bang up job at New Mexico assembling something close to 6...8 ranked class (Yes, the coaching part is still TBD).  Indecently, doing precisely what TC has been trying to do as of late...by showing Texas (Houston to be exact) a little extra recruiting love. 

I know he was a little up and down at Iowa, but if TC were to leave in 6-8 years and Alford has the Lobos hitting on all cylinders at the same time he would be a solid choice for Marquette.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2007, 03:27:11 PM »
James had an offer from Purdue (they really wanted him) and I beleive Lazar was offered by U-Conn along with Wes who as you said was offered by WI so its not like we always lose.  However, it seems we've had more than our share of disappointment.

Hayward didn't have an offer from UConn, but they were heavily involved with him.  The thought at the time was that they would offer when he had his official visit at Midnight Madness.  But his visit to MU was a week before that, and he committed to MU 4 days after that visit.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2007, 03:47:16 PM »

If I had to pick a name out of the hat it would be Steve Alford; he has done a bang up job at New Mexico assembling something close to 6...8 ranked class (Yes, the coaching part is still TBD).  Indecently, doing precisely what TC has been trying to do as of late...by showing Texas (Houston to be exact) a little extra recruiting love. 

I know he was a little up and down at Iowa, but if TC were to leave in 6-8 years and Alford has the Lobos hitting on all cylinders at the same time he would be a solid choice for Marquette.

I'd rather finish at the bottom of the Big East annually than have a person like Steve Alford associated with Marquette basketball.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2007, 04:18:30 PM »
James had an offer from Purdue (they really wanted him) and I beleive Lazar was offered by U-Conn along with Wes who as you said was offered by WI so its not like we always lose

We've actually beat out a lot of top notch programs for  lot of guys heres a list of offers that they got according to rivals

Mbakwe- Wisconsin, Florida, Georgetown, Illinois
Chistopherson- Wisconsin, Washington State
Hayward- Pitt, Virginia (It says no offer by Uconn)
James- Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue, Iowa
Matthews- Wisconsin, Georgia Tech
Amo- Minnesota, Iowa State
Novak- Illinois, Florida

Thats just a sampling of some of the players and big names we beat out, all in all we close on some guys we dont on others, its an individual basis. You can't sign everyone

A few more according to Scout:

Brandon Bell: Pittsburgh, West Virginia
James Matthews: Texas A&M, USC
Ousmane Barro: Auburn, Depaul, Iowa State
Mbakwe: Minnesota, Iowa State

Also I'm pretty sure DJ had an offer from Notre Dame, but they backed off when he wouldn't commit early.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2007, 04:26:02 PM »
Murf: Focus is very important in recruiting!

Agreed wholeheartedly. I think some recruits see how many other kids Crean has an interest in (not to mention recruits like Fulce that nobody knew about) and it brings into question the seriousness with which the coaching staff is approaching each recruit. Not to say they did that with Shumpert, but it seems like they have too many recruits on their plate at a time to sometimes give each recruit enough attention.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2007, 05:10:46 PM »
PRN....I gave you those three names as players that came to MU because of CREAN and they were top players.  INcluding the kids on the team now.

You can't have it both ways yet you are trying.  You are stating why kids aren't coming here and saying it's Crean when all one has to do is look at the damn roster to see plenty of top 100 kids now and past that came because of him, yet you ignore that entirely.  I just don't get it.

Yeah, we lost 3 kids to Ga. Tech, Louisville and wherever.  We're losing kids to some fantastic basketball programs, that's the way it goes.

I said months ago I didn't think we would land all these kids and thought the expectations for this class were too high.  A lot of winks and nods from folks on the other board that indicated they were done deals didn't happen in reality.  Recruiting is a tough situation.

I remember watching Ben Howland's first two classes and how he missed out on all these top kids and Bruins fans were beside themselves, then the kids he did get ended up being coachable and extremely productive.

Now let's see how things shake out here at MU. 

4everwarriors

• All American
Natives...
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2007, 07:39:15 PM »
Are you getting restless too? PRN and I were just years ahead of our time or had the foresight.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Natives...
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2007, 07:50:22 PM »
Are you getting restless too? PRN and I were just years ahead of our time or had the foresight.

Yep, a couple of guys who continue to obsess over a long-dead nickname are way ahead of their time.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Breaking news
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2007, 10:55:04 PM »
Duke and UNC having problems recruiting...
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/unc/story/744287.html
I wonder what's wrong with Roy and Coach K ??? Lol...

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2007, 08:14:40 AM »
Gotta go with Pakuni on this one...I want no part of Steve Alford coaching MU.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2007, 08:21:06 AM »
Gotta go with Pakuni on this one...I want no part of Steve Alford coaching MU.

Oh man, NFW on Alford.

MU's in very good hands.  no need to rush this along imho

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2007, 09:30:10 AM »
Aside to Murff: Anyone who compares recruiting now to recruiting in Al's day is foolish. It's a TOTALLY diferent ballgame.

chefrad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2007, 02:22:04 PM »

What we are in ranked in the top 12. Wow, what a disgrace!

Coobeys Oil Depot

Re: Natives...
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2007, 05:22:13 PM »

Yep, a couple of guys who continue to obsess over a long-dead nickname are way ahead of their time.

Lol. That's pretty unnatural carnal knowledgeing funny.

Dry White Toast

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2007, 10:59:36 AM »
Don't want to sound facist, but can we ban anyone who ever mentions Alford at MU?  He is an a-hole and a horrible coach.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2007, 03:30:08 PM »
Don't want to sound facist, but can we ban anyone who ever mentions Alford at MU?  He is an a-hole and a horrible coach.

Never suggested that Marquette SHOULD get Alford...just that he could be a potential in the future given a lot of caveats.  I don't know enough about the guy to say whether or not he's a bad coach; all I know is that he was very up and down at Iowa, had a couple of conference championships and nothing but early exits from the tourney.  He had one year to turn it around at Iowa and instead chose to escape to New Mexico...for $975K.  Not sure why anyone on this board would feel so strongly about the guy, a-hole or not.

Anyway, being a UNM fan as well, I was actually a little upset at the choice of 'what's his face' particularly at that salary.  I will say that he's definitely turned some heads in the Mountain West putting together a solid recruiting class (I heard 6 or 8?) doing the very thing TC is trying to do, recruit Texas.  My point is, if he happens to turn a program mired in mediocrity like UNM after a few short years, go deep into the tourney, given his background (IU, Bobby Knight, NBA, ect.) he could actually become a hot commodity on the coaching market. 

Maybe Crean stays at MU till he retires at 80, maybe not; but getting away from, you know who...what's his name, what kind of coaches make inviting targets 5-10 years down the line should TC leave?  Latest up-in-comer assistant from Izzo's staff?  An established, and very expensive, winner from a successful program?  Getting back to the title of this post, "We are what we are," I say what we are has been changing drastically since TC got here and a whole new set of tradition and standard of success is being established right now. 

I would like to think that what MU is and will become means competing with the nation's top programs for recruits (and winning some), being mentioned in the same breath as KU and Duke, and yes...becoming one of the most desirable coaching destinations in D-1 ball. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 03:34:41 PM by MUinCO »

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2007, 04:03:15 PM »
MU's athletic department is so lacking in self confidence that they'd probably let Crean hand-pick his successor.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2007, 04:17:36 PM »

Never suggested that Marquette SHOULD get Alford...just that he could be a potential in the future given a lot of caveats. should never ever be considered as a candidate for Marquette.  I don't know enough about the guy to say whether or not he's a bad coach; all I know is that he was very up and down at Iowa, had a couple of conference championships and nothing but early exits from the tourney.  kept a rapist on his team and tried to intimidate the rape victim.

Pierre Pierce'd

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2007, 04:20:10 PM »
MU's athletic department is so lacking in self confidence that they'd probably let Crean hand-pick his successor.

I agree, that would probably be a mistake...unless of course, his successor also happens to be a point guard.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 05:04:08 PM by MUinCO »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2007, 04:23:31 PM »

I don't even know what this means.

The bunny with the pancake bit seems applicable here.

Do you know something we don't?