[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kendrick Nunn a DJO play-alike  (Read 12949 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Kendrick Nunn a DJO play-alike
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 07:18:11 AM »
I would start Nunn over Blue.
Heck, I would start Nunn over Mayo.

Blue was higher rated coming out of high school....at least per Scout for his position.

Now I am not using this as an excuse for why Blue should start, but rather to put a damper on what we could realistically expect from Nunn should he come to MU.  We were saying the same things ("one and done") about Blue when he came here.  And those unrealistic expectations have been part of his issue on this board since he started.

By 2013, Blue will likely be coming off of two years starting on a high level, Big East team.  Buzz loves the guy because of his versatility.  And you honestly think that Buzz is going to move that guy to the bench to make room for a freshman???

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 08:34:09 AM »

Blue was higher rated coming out of high school....at least per Scout for his position.

Now I am not using this as an excuse for why Blue should start, but rather to put a damper on what we could realistically expect from Nunn should he come to MU.  We were saying the same things ("one and done") about Blue when he came here.  And those unrealistic expectations have been part of his issue on this board since he started.

By 2013, Blue will likely be coming off of two years starting on a high level, Big East team.  Buzz loves the guy because of his versatility.  And you honestly think that Buzz is going to move that guy to the bench to make room for a freshman???
+1

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 09:28:53 AM »

Not to mention its a high school mix tape! Good grief.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 09:30:56 AM »

As you said, unrealistic expectations have dogged Blue since he was recruited. There is no way an incoming freshman would take his job. Even if they play the same position, I'm confident Blue would slide over to either the 1 or 3 as a senior.

For all the crap he takes, Blue gets to the rack and draws contact, finished the season shooting the best free throw percentage on the team (including Ox and Mayo), is an excellent defender, and is one of the best rebounding guards in college. He may have some deficits as well, but I fully expect him to start every game he is eligible for over the next two years.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 10:06:34 AM »
I would start Nunn over Blue.
Heck, I would start Nunn over Mayo.

That is, if he is up to Buzz's defensive and team standards.

This kid would be a two-and-done at MU.

I can only imagine the Heat visiting Chicago for a game and Wade bring LeBron and DRose tags along to watch a Marquette game with Nunn and Taylor. That right there is called MU Swag.

Nope.

AND, this is the kind of attitude that ultimately leads to topics like "Is Kendrick Nunn underachieving?" if the kid isn't all-conf. as a frosh.

Regardless of Vander, predicting X frosh. will come in and be a 2 year player is silly. I hope Buzz isn't trying to sell that idea.

These are kids. Let them play. Let them develop. Enjoy the entertainment.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 11:20:29 AM »
Nunn will trim list down to 3-5 schools today. If have a feeling it will be Marquette, Ohio State, UCLA, Illinois, Memphis.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 11:31:33 AM »
Nunn will trim list down to 3-5 schools today. If have a feeling it will be Marquette, Ohio State, UCLA, Illinois, Memphis.

WARRIOR's sources also stated that it is Kendrick's birthday today.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 12:42:41 PM »
Illinois, Marquette, Memphis, Ohio State and UCLA

Lock it up, Chewy.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 12:54:04 PM »

Now I am not using this as an excuse for why Blue should start, but rather to put a damper on what we could realistically expect from Nunn should he come to MU.  We were saying the same things ("one and done") about Blue when he came here.  And those unrealistic expectations have been part of his issue on this board since he started.

By 2013, Blue will likely be coming off of two years starting on a high level, Big East team.  Buzz loves the guy because of his versatility.  And you honestly think that Buzz is going to move that guy to the bench to make room for a freshman???

While I agree generally, I don't know who was really putting up unrealistic expectations on Blue. I generally remember people being worried about parts of his game, saying he isn't going to be a complete game-changer right away. Not saying there weren't a few already getting on the "one-and-done" train (as there still seems to be today with people thinking he's probably leaving early for some unjustified reason)  but I remember everyone's expectations on him being more tempered and realistic.

He just didn't come to MU with the "OMG, he's a 5-star, one-&-done" type enthusiasm and pressure - because, well, he wasn't.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 12:55:56 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
Kendrick is expected to narrow it down to 2-3 schools before making an official decision.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsreport/2012/08/kendrick_nunns_final_five.html

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2012, 01:58:42 PM »
So I guess you can eliminate Illinois, based on criteria 4. There's no guarantee at all they are going to win. Same could be said of UCLA, especially as Nunn would likely never play with Shabazz Muhammad, who'll almost certainly be a one-and-done.

Looking at that list, I think it's probably between us and Ohio State.

MUMBA

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2012, 02:16:19 PM »
Per his father... "The relationship we have with Buzz is platinum," Melvin said. "He loves the way Buzz coaches and gives attention to his players. I think he fell in love with Marquette the game we attended. He likes the way Buzz coaches. They're in a great place to continue to win. Coming from a winning program like Simeon, you want to keep that going."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/story/_/id/8230814/simeon-kendrick-nunn-narrows-illinois-marquette-memphis-ohio-state-ucla

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2012, 02:21:32 PM »
And from Scout...

"Another program that gets a lot of talk with Nunn is Marquette. The Golden Eagles landed a prospect, Steve Taylor, from Simeon last year, and now are hoping to do it again with Nunn.

“What stands out about Marquette is definitely the style of play,” he said of the Golden Eagles. “It fits Kendrick’s game well, and the staff fits Kendrick perfectly. They have a track record of developing guys to a higher level ever since Buzz Williams became a part of that program. Also they are winning right now, and have pieces in place to win now and later.”

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2012, 02:41:15 PM »
Per his father... "The relationship we have with Buzz is platinum," Melvin said. "He loves the way Buzz coaches and gives attention to his players. I think he fell in love with Marquette the game we attended. He likes the way Buzz coaches. They're in a great place to continue to win. Coming from a winning program like Simeon, you want to keep that going."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/story/_/id/8230814/simeon-kendrick-nunn-narrows-illinois-marquette-memphis-ohio-state-ucla

Seems like if Mr. Nunn had his druthers, Kendrick would be suiting up in blue & gold, and it has seemed that way for a while.  Let's just hope Kendrick eventually sees things the same way.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2012, 02:49:27 PM »
Also, really gotta hope DJO makes the Lakers roster, the chances of which weren't looking all that great during summer leagues.  When your play-alike is balling in the association coming from a program 1.5 hours away, it certainly makes things that much more enticing.  Plus, I really wanna see DJO in an NBA uniform. 

A recruit this big on top of the current class would really open up the floodgates.  It would solidify 2013 as a top 5 class, cause us to not skip a beat on the winning side, and give Looney and Stone something to ponder in terms of the pieces they would get to play and win with immediately.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2012, 02:49:34 PM »
WARRIOR's sources also stated that it is Kendrick's birthday today.
PTM continues to be the biggest douche on the internet.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2012, 02:50:29 PM »
So I guess you can eliminate Illinois, based on criteria 4. There's no guarantee at all they are going to win. Same could be said of UCLA, especially as Nunn would likely never play with Shabazz Muhammad, who'll almost certainly be a one-and-done.

Looking at that list, I think it's probably between us and Ohio State.

Really? A recruit is going to eliminate UCLA off his list because he doesn't think they will win enough?

You know it's UCLA, right?

Ben Howland is 201-94 since he arrived. 3 final 4's in 9 years. 3 conf. championships, finished 2nd twice.

Nunn might end up at MU, but he's not crossing UCLA off his list "because they don't win enough".

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »
Really? A recruit is going to eliminate UCLA off his list because he doesn't think they will win enough?

You know it's UCLA, right?

Ben Howland is 201-94 since he arrived. 3 final 4's in 9 years. 3 conf. championships, finished 2nd twice.

Nunn might end up at MU, but he's not crossing UCLA off his list "because they don't win enough".

Success is fleeting these days. If Howland doesn't land Muhammad and a great recruiting class, there was a very real possibility he may have been fired this past offseason. They are also 56-43 over the past 3 years with only one NCAA appearance.

UCLA is a blueblood, but there's no guarantee that a Kentucky-like recruiting class will deliver Kentucky-like results. And 2-3 of those guys could end up one-and-done. Not saying they can't win again, but Howland is still on thin ice if he doesn't have immediate success. If you're ranking the five teams on recent and short-term success, I'd put UCLA behind Ohio State, Marquette, and maybe even Memphis. Sure, they have a great incoming class, but how many of them will still be there when Nunn would arrive?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2012, 05:05:16 PM »
Success is fleeting these days. If Howland doesn't land Muhammad and a great recruiting class, there was a very real possibility he may have been fired this past offseason. They are also 56-43 over the past 3 years with only one NCAA appearance.

UCLA is a blueblood, but there's no guarantee that a Kentucky-like recruiting class will deliver Kentucky-like results. And 2-3 of those guys could end up one-and-done. Not saying they can't win again, but Howland is still on thin ice if he doesn't have immediate success. If you're ranking the five teams on recent and short-term success, I'd put UCLA behind Ohio State, Marquette, and maybe even Memphis. Sure, they have a great incoming class, but how many of them will still be there when Nunn would arrive?

We'll agree to disagree.

I love Buzz, and I think MU is going to be awesome in 2013, but I can't imagine anybody eliminating UCLA for not winning enough.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2012, 05:37:44 PM »
While I agree generally, I don't know who was really putting up unrealistic expectations on Blue. I generally remember people being worried about parts of his game, saying he isn't going to be a complete game-changer right away. Not saying there weren't a few already getting on the "one-and-done" train (as there still seems to be today with people thinking he's probably leaving early for some unjustified reason)  but I remember everyone's expectations on him being more tempered and realistic.

He just didn't come to MU with the "OMG, he's a 5-star, one-&-done" type enthusiasm and pressure - because, well, he wasn't.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=18551.0;all

There were others....

🏀

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2012, 06:17:50 PM »
I wouldn't eliminate UCLA because it's fricking UCLA. Nunn would be tapping ass like beer kegs at a Hegarty's double your dough night.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2012, 09:05:09 AM »
If he ends up at UCLA he's clearly folllwing the same PAC 12 to MU route Jamil Wilson took. A year at the low mid-major conference level followed by a year to study under Buzz would do anybody wonders. Kind of the non-traditional JUCO route to MU, if you will. I highly recommend.

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2012, 06:42:12 PM »
I wouldn't eliminate UCLA because it's fricking UCLA. Nunn would be tapping ass like beer kegs at a Hegarty's double your dough night.

Did you know they closed Hegarty's last year? No more double your dough. Now I think MU owns the building. Damn shame eh?

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2012, 07:53:05 PM »
Did you know they closed Hegarty's last year? No more double your dough. Now I think MU owns the building. Damn shame eh?

You can still double your dough at Caf's, but it just isn't the same.  :-[

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2012, 10:00:28 PM »

There is no building anymore, just a vacant lot.

feedback