[Today at 11:29:24 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 10:38:12 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:31:55 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by lawdog77
[Today at 07:08:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Seton Hall jumps 8 spots  (Read 6503 times)

mug644

• All American
Seton Hall jumps 8 spots
« on: January 08, 2018, 01:02:57 PM »
Seton Hall matched the biggest one-week jump in the AP Top 25 in its history. Well, that'll give them great big bloated heads that will surely make them vulnerable when they arrive in Milwaukee.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22003986/villanova-wildcats-back-no-1-spot-reshuffled-ap-men-basketball-poll

We got this.

GoldenZebra

• All American
Re: Seton Hall jumps 8 spots
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 01:21:50 PM »
Seton Hall is a terrible matchup for MU, it may not be pretty tomorrow.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 01:27:49 PM »

Could it also be that MU is a terrible matchup for SHU? How is their perimeter defense?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 01:33:41 PM »
Well, Seton Hall has big guards, size everywhere, experience, a double/double big man in Delgado.    Perfect match up for MU. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 01:34:27 PM »
#1 Villanova
#5 (tie) Purdue
#5 (tie) Wichita State
#10 Xavier
#13 Seton Hall

By Wednesday, Marquette will have played half of the current top 6, 4 of the current top 10, and 5 of the current top 13 teams in the country.

Anyone wondering why J5 and I keep saying that 9-9 Big East gets Marquette in...dis is a big reason why. Really tough schedule this season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 01:35:35 PM »

Oh, well there is that. But we've got Markus who beat out Delgado for BEast Player of the Week! We got this. Don't we?

(Seriously, I could see it being a blowout for Seton Hall, but I'm expecting a tight game (since it is at the Bradley Center). I want to believe we got this, but I'm not that confident.)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 01:55:01 PM »
Seton Hall has a big four, Carrington, Delgado, Powell, and Rodriguez. The rest of their team is their for defense/warm bodying. In their win against St. John's, all players outside of the big four combined for 0 points, 12 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals, and 1 block.

Shut down one of the four and you have a chance. Butler did a good job bothering Myles Powell into a 1/4 night and they only lost by three (with Delgado and Carrington having monster nights). Shut down two and you will win.

I don't see anything about our defense that leads me to believe that we can shut down two of their big four. But I think we can shut down one of them and with our offense that could be enough.

I'm very glad Froling is eligible. We will need all the fouls we can get in this one.
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 01:57:33 PM »
Seton Hall has a big four, Carrington, Delgado, Powell, and Rodriguez. The rest of their team is their for defense/warm bodying. In their win against St. John's, all players outside of the big four combined for 0 points, 12 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals, and 1 block.

Shut down one of the four and you have a chance. Butler did a good job bothering Myles Powell into a 1/4 night and they only lost by three (with Delgado and Carrington having monster nights). Shut down two and you will win.

I don't see anything about our defense that leads me to believe that we can shut down two of their big four. But I think we can shut down one of them and with our offense that could be enough.

I'm very glad Froling is eligible. We will need all the fouls we can get in this one.

This.  Our best chance is getting Delgado and one of Carrington/Rodriguez is foul trouble.  They're going to eat us alive in the paint. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 02:14:56 PM »
This.  Our best chance is getting Delgado and one of Carrington/Rodriguez is foul trouble.  They're going to eat us alive in the paint.

Was also thinking of a no-layups rule for the PF/C's. Their bigs suck at FTs (I know.. FTs no matter) but if they're hitting 50% from the line vs. a sure-fire 2 points, use all the big man fouls we got!

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 02:16:33 PM »

Maybe he give us more than 5 Fouls in this game and starts hitting his shots.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 02:17:40 PM »
Was also thinking of a no-layups rule for the PF/C's. Their bigs suck at FTs (I know.. FTs no matter) but if they're hitting 50% from the line vs. a sure-fire 2 points, use all the big man fouls we got!

At least if you're gonna foul, foul hard.  Make it worth it.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 02:19:32 PM »
Delgado might dominate our bigs..

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 02:20:49 PM »
At least if you're gonna foul, foul hard.  Make it worth it.

Agreed!

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 02:43:47 PM »
No way we should lose to the likes of Seton Hall....especially not on our home court.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 02:56:29 PM »
No way we should lose to the likes of Seton Hall....especially not on our home court.

I know you look down on Seton Hall,  but they are good this season. Don't worry you only have to endure it for one more season. They should be near the bottom next year with Delgado,  Rodriguez, Carrington,  and Sanogo all graduating.
TAMU

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 02:58:50 PM »

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 03:04:11 PM »
Could it also be that MU is a terrible matchup for SHU? How is their perimeter defense?

Yes, I supposed the vice versa is somewhat true, SHU does not have good perimeter defense, but then again, MUs defense is bad, particularly in the paint.
KenPom doesnt think its too much of a stretch for a MU victory, so hopefully they can win.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 03:05:26 PM »
#1 Villanova
#5 (tie) Purdue
#5 (tie) Wichita State
#10 Xavier
#13 Seton Hall

By Wednesday, Marquette will have played half of the current top 6, 4 of the current top 10, and 5 of the current top 13 teams in the country.

Anyone wondering why J5 and I keep saying that 9-9 Big East gets Marquette in...dis is a big reason why. Really tough schedule this season.

According to ESPN our RPI went up 7 spots just by losing to Nova

I think we of yesterday we were at 36 with a SOS of 15.

Snag a couple big wins and we are just fine
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 03:08:27 PM »

With all the fouls we generally rack up. I don't see it improving tonight. Pretty sure last year at home was a foul fest too.

Luckily, unlike Xavier they are not good at the line
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

onepost

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 03:22:52 PM »
SHU opens as a 1-point favorite, about what I was expecting (SHU -2).  I like us tomorrow, especially since it's an 8:00 tip and an additional couple thousand people should be able to make it.  Would be a HUGE win on all accounts.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 03:25:26 PM »
SHU opens as a 1-point favorite, about what I was expecting (SHU -2).  I like us tomorrow, especially since it's an 8:00 tip and an additional couple thousand people should be able to make it.  Would be a HUGE win on all accounts.

Love 8pm tips.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 03:47:28 PM »
While I understand the terrible match-up view point, I don't really buy in. There were a terrible match-up for us last year and we went 1-2 against them last year, and if we were able to rebound off of a missed FT it would've been 2-1. Both teams return almost everyone. I expect a competitive game.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 03:49:53 PM »
With all the fouls we generally rack up. I don't see it improving tonight. Pretty sure last year at home was a foul fest too.

Luckily, unlike Xavier they are not good at the line

I'm not worried at all about foul trouble tonight. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 03:51:10 PM »
While I understand the terrible match-up view point, I don't really buy in. There were a terrible match-up for us last year and we went 1-2 against them last year, and if we were able to rebound off of a missed FT it would've been 2-1. Both teams return almost everyone. I expect a competitive game.

Marquette lost quite a bit to graduation and transfer..

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 03:58:51 PM »
Marquette lost quite a bit to graduation and transfer..

Meh, I guess that's true, but the MU roster structure is basically the same as it was last year from a match-up perspective. It's not like Luke was some sort of force that was able to contain Delgado.

Also -- just looked at the boxscore from the loss @ Seton Hall last year. Cheatham played 29 min, 0-5 fg, 2 reb, 2 asst, 0 pts. Woof.

feedback