'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Miami  (Read 13631 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Miami
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 12:10:58 PM »
I could see Mayo being glued to Larkin

The way he has played recently I'd prefer to see Mayo glued to the bench.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 12:24:44 PM »
We don't need our best defender on Larkin. We need our best defenders preventing Larkin from making passes.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 12:27:21 PM »
We don't need our best defender on Larkin. We need our best defenders preventing Larkin from making passes.

I dont know.  Larkin seemed to be the only guy to go to the rack somewhat consistently.  All the rest of them seemed content to throw up the contested 3 ball.

Retire54

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 12:31:36 PM »
I haven't watched Miami a lot but Larkin really is their big playmaker. I think if you can take him out, they will have serious trouble. If that means face guarding him or not allowing him to make passes, we just can't get beat by one guy like Clarke tried to do last game.

Our bigs are good enough to go against theirs, jamil and vander can matchup with their 2 and 3, we just have to take away Larkin's playmaking ability

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 12:32:59 PM »
I'll feel a lot better if we are trailing most of the game!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 12:46:34 PM »
Our bigs are good enough to go against theirs, jamil and vander can matchup with their 2 and 3, we just have to take away Larkin's playmaking ability

Agreed. The team that did the best containing Miami was Clemson, who shut him down twice. Granted, Clemson lost both games, but Marquette is a lot better than Clemson. Take away Larkin's playmaking and you take him out of his game.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

omni77

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »
Looking forward to the 2 fat guys going at it: Davante vs. #42

MarquetteMAN

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 02:01:27 PM »
Weaknesses I see that we could exploit:

• Bench play: Miami only goes 7 deep. This is another game where waves of players will wear the opposition out.
  • Pace of play: They play at a slower pace than we do. I think in spurts putting Jamil in at center could work. Play Junior, Vander, Mayo, Taylor, and Jamil. It's a little unconventional but if we can get in transition their bigs won't be able to keep up.
  • No unforced errors: Just like Davidson and Butler, Miami sucks at turning teams over. If we don't give it to them, they probably won't force it.
  • Ball screen defense: Clemson shut Larkin down twice with ball screens. Play Larkin tight and hedge the passing lanes. I'm fine with Junior guarding Larkin as long as we have length on the other players to create turnovers. Make him beat you alone.

I completely agree. They're not deep and not overly fast. wearing this team down will be key to beating them.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 02:04:16 PM by MarquetteMAN »
You'll know when you are in trouble. You'll know when you've messed up, because you'll hear a chant of three words. We Are Marquette. And when you hear that...Pray.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 02:52:45 PM »
As was the case with Vander vs. Davidson, Larkin last night showed part of what makes him great.

He had a rough game, was frustrated and couldn't get anything going. And then, when the game was on the line, he came up huge. Takes a serious pair.

I haven't seen a better PG this season than Larkin, obviously an NBA player. We need to contain him as well as Temple did ... and then hope he doesn't win the game for them anyway.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 03:56:48 PM »
Play very tight D on Larkin, by giving D Wilson some good minutes on him. Pressure Miami just like we did in the 2nd half vs Butler, trying to cause turnovers.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 04:04:01 PM »
As was the case with Vander vs. Davidson, Larkin last night showed part of what makes him great.

He had a rough game, was frustrated and couldn't get anything going. And then, when the game was on the line, he came up huge. Takes a serious pair.

I haven't seen a better PG this season than Larkin, obviously an NBA player. We need to contain him as well as Temple did ... and then hope he doesn't win the game for them anyway.

I agree Larkin's been amazing but he's 5-11 and weighs in the 170s he's just not physically gifted.  He's not gonna be able to get into the NBA. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 04:18:06 PM »
The U's scouting report on us (according to their board)

- Vander Blue is one of the better guards we will face all year. Very similar in terms of size and build to Brandon Paul but only a 30 percent three point shooter. Streaky scorer but can go off if he's right.

- Not a lot of size or rebounding (163rd in the country in rebounds per game). Wilson and Gardner are their best but they are 6'7 and 6'8 respectively and average below 5 a game. Both could be matchup issues as we have had trouble at times with the undersized, scrappier bigs.

- They really don't shoot the three very well. Wilson is actually their best at 36 percent and then Lockett at 34%

other guy says

Marquette plays with a lineup very similar to ours. Gardner and Otule are big bodies that play the center and Wilson/Anderson are stretch 4s. Gardner is a beast inside and plays like the Reggie Johnson of last season.

Their backcourt is pretty talented and can all handle the ball. Blue is very athletic but doesn't have much range. Will be interesting to see how he does against the ACC defensive player of the year. Larkin is too athletic for Cadougan, but their backup pg Wilson is one of the best defensive pg's in the country. Their other guard Trent Lockett is a transfer from Arizona State where he was all Pac-12 but is more of a glue guy for them rather than a scorer. Similar to Mckinney-Jones except with a much better ability to get to the basket but not as good of a shooter.

They play 10 deep and constantly sub every whistle. They match up pretty well with us talent wise, but the fact that they can't shoot 3s will be the difference IMO. I don't think any team in the nation beats us without hitting a bunch of 3s.

I only found two boards.  The scout board and CanesInsider and this was all there was.  This "scouting MU" thread was created at noon EST and there have only been 2 replies.  If this is a good proxy for enthusiasm, I don't see their fans traveling very well.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
The Simple Reason Why We Will Beat Miami!!!
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 04:36:23 PM »
It's simple, we are not satisfied and they are.

Here is Buzz talking to his players after the Butler win:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALRZlZBB24M

Now contrast Buzz to Jim Larranaga talking to his players after the Illinois win.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHeX5rsmUw4

Which team is hungry and which team is satisfied?

Satisfied teams go home.  Hungry teams move on.

Also, the Canes players made a rap video about their win over Illinois yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFESJUHXUlQ

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:39:56 PM by AnotherMU84 »

muguru

• All American
Re: The Simple Reason Why We Will Beat Miami!!!
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2013, 04:39:01 PM »
I said this earlier....this is business for MU. As Buzz says "it's time to pass the next test". These guys have been here done that with the Sweet 16. No one for Miami has...the stage will be to big for them.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

JD

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2013, 04:41:36 PM »
F**k Miami..

That's all.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2013, 04:43:45 PM »
It's simple, we are not satisfied and they are.

Here is Buzz talking to his players after the Butler win:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALRZlZBB24M

Now contrast Buzz to Jim Larranaga talking to his players after the Illinois win.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHeX5rsmUw4

Which team is hungry and which team is satisfied?

Satisfied teams go home.  Hungry teams move on.

Also, the Canes players made a rap video about their win over Illinois yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFESJUHXUlQ

they said they were going to the hotel to sleep then flying home in the morning?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

MauraDay

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2013, 04:45:27 PM »
good call. it's clear our players / coach believe the job is far from finished.

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2013, 04:46:59 PM »
I said this earlier....this is business for MU. As Buzz says "it's time to pass the next test". These guys have been here done that with the Sweet 16. No one for Miami has...the stage will be to big for them.

I think Miami will be prepared.  They did win the ACC and all that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2013, 05:01:11 PM »
A reasonable assessment by the one fan who cares.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2013, 05:14:37 PM »
I think Miami will be prepared.  They did win the ACC and all that.

They'll be prepared. We'll be ready to beat them.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »
Lauranaga (sp) seems like a very good coach.   He's got experience in the tourney, has made it to a Final Four with less talent then this year.  I don't think these are some chumps we're up against from a coaching standpoint. 

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2013, 05:18:10 PM »
Good point. We've been there, done that. We want more.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2013, 05:34:46 PM »
We have not been the underdog since we played Syracuse.  Its good to be back in that role.  To have a chance we've got to play "like our hair is on fire". 

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2013, 05:36:08 PM »
Becasuse Mr. Blue is not ready to go home yet

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2013, 05:46:18 PM »