[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NHL Thread  (Read 79984 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: 2013 NHL Thread
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2013, 03:35:58 AM »
Koivu and Parise a -17. Nuff said. Not worth the contract. Hawks taking the cup again this year.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2013, 07:57:29 PM »
GO SHARKS!

THIS IS THE YEAR!
SS Marquette

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2013, 10:38:29 PM »
Wow, too bad I just found this thread; I would have posted earlier.

Pretty stoked about my Wings!!! (sorry Chicos) I don't know how they are able to survive with so many suspect dmen, but I'll take it.

BTW, this first season without Lidstrom is what I imagine it feels like when your first kid goes away to college.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2013, 12:34:38 AM »
Wow, too bad I just found this thread; I would have posted earlier.

Pretty stoked about my Wings!!! (sorry Chicos) I don't know how they are able to survive with so many suspect dmen, but I'll take it.

BTW, this first season without Lidstrom is what I imagine it feels like when your first kid goes away to college.

You were the one team I didn't want to play and I said that before the playoffs started.  We owned the Blackhawks this year, we did just fine against everyone except the Red Wings.  I was at game 7...we were terrible.  Game 6 had me furious...it had been 10 years and 8 days since the last time a NHL playoff game went without a penalty called on one team.  WTF.  Oh well, congratulations, I'm hardly surprised.

My son is a huge Kings fan so we'll be there tomorrow night and a few additional games through the rest of the playoffs.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2013, 07:09:32 AM »
Always have your victory dance ready.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV5ofg0Q878

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2013, 09:33:23 PM »
You were the one team I didn't want to play and I said that before the playoffs started.  We owned the Blackhawks this year, we did just fine against everyone except the Red Wings.  I was at game 7...we were terrible.  Game 6 had me furious...it had been 10 years and 8 days since the last time a NHL playoff game went without a penalty called on one team.  WTF.  Oh well, congratulations, I'm hardly surprised.

My son is a huge Kings fan so we'll be there tomorrow night and a few additional games through the rest of the playoffs.

Yeah, I hear you about the penalties, but the wings have a lot of wily vets that no how to do the crime without doing the time. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Franzen are masters. Plus, the Wings in Joe Louis get calls like the Badgers in the Kohl Center.

The one team that scares me is the Blackhawks. They owned the Wings this season. I expect Detroit to steal one or two games, but I'll be shocked if they pull out the series.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2013, 08:21:11 AM »
I wouldn't say the Hawks owned the Wings. Yeah they swept us but 3 of the 4 went to OT with 2 of those 3 being a shootout, and then the 4th when they smoked us we had just come off 4 games in 7 days on the west coast. I think it'll no doubt be a good series, but I'm pretty confident that the boys will pull it off.

Hey Hey Hockeytown
Bring back FFP!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2013, 10:16:27 AM »
I went to the Kings Sharks game last night...Kings are notching it up again for another run.  Don't know if they are good enough this year, but playing with a lot of confidence.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #158 on: May 15, 2013, 08:37:50 PM »
I wouldn't say the Hawks owned the Wings. Yeah they swept us but 3 of the 4 went to OT with 2 of those 3 being a shootout, and then the 4th when they smoked us we had just come off 4 games in 7 days on the west coast. I think it'll no doubt be a good series, but I'm pretty confident that the boys will pull it off.

Hey Hey Hockeytown

Maybe not, but I would still rather see the Wings against the Sharks or Kings. I like your optimism, but I definitely don't share it. I guess you never know.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #159 on: May 15, 2013, 09:00:51 PM »

Wow. No fear of the best team in the league but afraid (justifiably so) as a 2 against a 7. Sounds like those best of 7 NHL playoffs are a real crapshoot

🏀

• All American
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2013, 09:43:17 PM »
That was a beat down.

Hats off to Howard, kept that game for really getting ridiculous.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2013, 09:58:22 PM »
Wow. No fear of the best team in the league but afraid (justifiably so) as a 2 against a 7. Sounds like those best of 7 NHL playoffs are a real crapshoot

Matchups Lenny, like anything else.  We match up well against the Blackhawks, that's how we went 3-0 against them.  Detroit, we have struggled for the last few years against them, this year no exception.  Some teams have another's number.  I'm sure you can understand that.  It's also why I stated it here before the playoffs even started.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:03:55 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2013, 10:39:25 PM »
Pens - hawks would be a great final.  Soo many weapons.

Time for Pittsburgh to dispatch Canada's last hope.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2013, 10:47:03 PM »
That was a beat down.

+1 My thoughts exactly. Hawks absolutely dominated and kept the puck in the offensive zone all night. Howard kept that game from getting out of hand. Easily could have been 6-1.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2013, 09:19:46 AM »
Pittsburgh is ready to clean house. Give them the "Chip" now!

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #165 on: May 16, 2013, 10:27:36 AM »
So the Wings flew home last night and then are coming back to Chicago tomorrow afternoon. I was arguing about this with my buddies; I said it was a bad idea and they should set up shop in Chicago to get comfortable, they said it was smart so they could sleep in their own beds etc, what do you guys think?
Bring back FFP!!!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2013, 10:59:54 AM »
Matchups Lenny, like anything else.  We match up well against the Blackhawks, that's how we went 3-0 against them.  Detroit, we have struggled for the last few years against them, this year no exception.  Some teams have another's number.  I'm sure you can understand that.  It's also why I stated it here before the playoffs even started.

Oh, I understand. When the inferior team in the NHL (or MLB, NFL or NBA) wins a series it's because of "match ups" but when an inferior team teams wins in the NCAA tournament it's because it's a "crapshoot". LOL.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2013, 02:37:06 PM »
Oh, I understand. When the inferior team in the NHL (or MLB, NFL or NBA) wins a series it's because of "match ups" but when an inferior team teams wins in the NCAA tournament it's because it's a "crapshoot". LOL.

::)    Nope.  Good try, but way off as usual.   

I'll remember it though next time when MU loses despite being a better team and you and others come back with the "they were just a bad matchup for us".  LOL

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #168 on: May 16, 2013, 03:09:47 PM »

Spot on as usual. The NCAA tourney isn't any more of a crapshoot than other playoffs/tournaments and it's been proven statistically. 

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2013, 09:03:26 AM »
That was a beat down.

Exactly what I was afraid of. I think today will be better, but I doubt the Wings win.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2013, 03:21:32 PM »
Exactly what I was afraid of. I think today will be better, but I doubt the Wings win.

You have a hot team, hot goalie...you are more than capable as you showed today with the beat down of the Hawks.  Don't sell your team short.  Hockey is different than most other team sports.  Home ice means very little, a hot goalie can win you the Cup (see LA Kings last year). 

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2013, 03:50:20 PM »
The Wings absoluteloy dominated that game- every aspect.  didn't even need much from Howard today (though they will going forward).  Hawks generated very few opportunities.  I expect the Hawks to bounce back with a split or sweep in Detroit and end it in 6.  But, sheeeesh, Detroit has a bunch of really good skill players (duh).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #172 on: May 18, 2013, 07:44:30 PM »
The Wings absoluteloy dominated that game- every aspect.  didn't even need much from Howard today (though they will going forward).  Hawks generated very few opportunities.  I expect the Hawks to bounce back with a split or sweep in Detroit and end it in 6.  But, sheeeesh, Detroit has a bunch of really good skill players (duh).

Yup, and they are really young for the most part, which is both a hindrance and an advantage.  I'm more than happy to see them go to the Eastern conference after this year.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2013, 09:02:23 AM »

You have a hot team, hot goalie...you are more than capable as you showed today with the beat down of the Hawks.  Don't sell your team short.  Hockey is different than most other team sports.  Home ice means very little, a hot goalie can win you the Cup (see LA Kings last year). 

Sort of. We have a hot goalie and a talented, but inconsistent team. Did you see game one? That defense was horrible, especially Brendan Smith. Howard didn't have a chance on two of those goals because his defense completely failed him. If they play like that the rest of the way, they'll lose in 5.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the ride. It's often more fun to be a fan when you have little to no expectations. I was just happy to see them keep the consecutive playoff appearance streak alive.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2013, 05:08:26 PM »

No disagreement. The better team (that day) won each of the first two games, but in hockey or baseball where one player (goalie or pitcher) can dominate a series, the weaker team often wins. Wild card teams frequently win the World Series and just last year the LOWEST seeded team in the playoffs won the Stanley Cup. Conversely, the last teams to make the NCAA tournament have NEVER won even one game. So which is the bigger crapshoot? (rhetorical  question that is evident through just glancing at the data)

feedback