[Today at 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[Today at 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Erik Williams reaffirms commitment to MU  (Read 9120 times)

Coobeys Oil Depot

Re: Erik Williams affirms committment
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2008, 04:03:36 PM »
It's always funny when the people who accuse others of overreaction fall victim to the very same trait.

This is very good news. But it's also expected news. [snip]

With the Taylor news and the Williams news we're beginning the process of filling out the scorecard.

Wait....wasn't the TT and NW news also expected?  You've been one of the biggest critics of continuity - but keeping the entire team (well, the important cogs, less SC) seems to offer a lot of continuity. Add in keeping a few recruits, including one that hasn't even signed a LOI, and one that is 6'10" (or taller by the time he gets on campus), and things seems like things are going OK.

The sky is not falling.  Buzz is not going to end MU hoops as we know it.

I'm not going to guarantee he's going to be successful (though many seem to be willing to guarantee we're going to be in the toilets).  But I just don't think it's as bad of a hire as most people have been harping about.

NW was expected. When we're told that Taylor had a better relationship with Buzz and the Buzz supporters last week claimed credit for Taylor when discussing Buzz' recruiting triumphs I think it's fair to criticize a bit in not being able to firm up Taylor's pledge. I will admit it was an uphill battle but with Buzz being credited as the man who worked to get the initial commit he should also get a little flak for it falling through.

Also, the continuity argument still falls flat for me. We've lost our top 2 2008 recruits. We will lose DJ, JM, DB, and WM in 12 months. We lose the core of Buzz' first team and lost a part of the core for the years that follow.
Buzz may be able to land the talent needed for a softer fall but we will need some serious coaching in Year II and Year III and no one has yet to sell me on Buzz' coaching style.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2008, 04:11:53 PM »
Also, the continuity argument still falls flat for me. We've lost our top 2 2008 recruits. We will lose DJ, JM, DB, and WM in 12 months.

What if you were told that some of this core would have been lost a lot sooner without Buzz?  I have no sources but there seems to be some insinuation out there that Buzz being hired kept several current players on the roster......thats continuity isn't?  Point is we don't know whats going on behind the scenes there very well might be less disaster because of Buzz instead of more.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

RawdogDX

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Erik Williams reaffirms commitment to MU
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2008, 04:14:55 PM »
clap your hands if you beleive in faries... or buzz  ;D

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2008, 04:20:19 PM »

NW was expected. When we're told that Taylor had a better relationship with Buzz and the Buzz supporters last week claimed credit for Taylor when discussing Buzz' recruiting triumphs I think it's fair to criticize a bit in not being able to firm up Taylor's pledge. I will admit it was an uphill battle but with Buzz being credited as the man who worked to get the initial commit he should also get a little flak for it falling through.

I think you're being a little disingenuous here. Taylor asked for his release within hours of Crean taking the IU job and Hurley was quoted as saying "Yes, he liked the school but there's no doubt that the decision was based on Tom Crean." Hurley that night also said "I'm going to have to really know this guy (the new coach) well" in regards to MU's new coach for Tyshawn to reconsider MU. In other words, Buzz had almost no chance from the start. He neither is a) Tom Crean or b) someone Hurley knows well.
I understand Tyshawn made a remark about Buzz being the guy who recruited him, but it's pretty apparent that given the circumstances of Friday's meeting and Hurley being dead-set against Taylor going to MU from the moment Crean left, Buzz was in an impossible situation. I'm not going to give him a little flak for not succeeding when success was close to impossible.

Also, the continuity argument still falls flat for me. We've lost our top 2 2008 recruits. We will lose DJ, JM, DB, and WM in 12 months. We lose the core of Buzz' first team and lost a part of the core for the years that follow.

There you go again. Remind me, which coaching candidate would have gotten DJ, JM, DB and WM a fifth year of eligibility? It's a ridiculous point you're making.

Basically, MU lost one transfer and one recruit who were gone the moment Crean said adieu and a second recruit who gave MU a slim-to-none chance or re-recruiting him. These are things that would have occurred regardless. On the other hand, hiring Buzz increased the chances of DJ and JM returning, lessened the chance of a Mbakwe transfer (perhaps even eliminated them) and saved three recruits from bailing.  Nobody said there wouldn't be any losses if Buzz was hired. The argument would be that there would be fewer, and by all accounts that argument appears is holding true.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2008, 04:32:45 PM »

I think you're being a little disingenuous here. Taylor asked for his release within hours of Crean taking the IU job and Hurley was quoted as saying "Yes, he liked the school but there's no doubt that the decision was based on Tom Crean." Hurley that night also said "I'm going to have to really know this guy (the new coach) well" in regards to MU's new coach for Tyshawn to reconsider MU. In other words, Buzz had almost no chance from the start. He neither is a) Tom Crean or b) someone Hurley knows well.
I understand Tyshawn made a remark about Buzz being the guy who recruited him, but it's pretty apparent that given the circumstances of Friday's meeting and Hurley being dead-set against Taylor going to MU from the moment Crean left, Buzz was in an impossible situation. I'm not going to give him a little flak for not succeeding when success was close to impossible.

There you go again. Remind me, which coaching candidate would have gotten DJ, JM, DB and WM a fifth year of eligibility? It's a ridiculous point you're making.

Basically, MU lost one transfer and one recruit who were gone the moment Crean said adieu and a second recruit who gave MU a slim-to-none chance or re-recruiting him. These are things that would have occurred regardless. On the other hand, hiring Buzz increased the chances of DJ and JM returning, lessened the chance of a Mbakwe transfer (perhaps even eliminated them) and saved three recruits from bailing.  Nobody said there wouldn't be any losses if Buzz was hired. The argument would be that there would be fewer, and by all accounts that argument appears is holding true.

Does it really matter anymore?  Many of us were upset by the hire.  Now that we are past that can't we all just get along with cheering buzzes wins and being patient with him.  Just because we weren't hapy with the hire doesn't mean we have a problem with him.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2008, 04:48:41 PM »
It's always funny when the people who accuse others of overreaction fall victim to the very same trait.

This is very good news. But it's also expected news. [snip]

With the Taylor news and the Williams news we're beginning the process of filling out the scorecard.

Wait....wasn't the TT and NW news also expected?  You've been one of the biggest critics of continuity - but keeping the entire team (well, the important cogs, less SC) seems to offer a lot of continuity. Add in keeping a few recruits, including one that hasn't even signed a LOI, and one that is 6'10" (or taller by the time he gets on campus), and things seems like things are going OK.

The sky is not falling.  Buzz is not going to end MU hoops as we know it.

I'm not going to guarantee he's going to be successful (though many seem to be willing to guarantee we're going to be in the toilets).  But I just don't think it's as bad of a hire as most people have been harping about.

Buzz may be able to land the talent needed for a softer fall but we will need some serious coaching in Year II and Year III and no one has yet to sell me on Buzz' coaching style.

Continuity has more to do with it than missing out on 2 recruits and losing 4 players the following year.  Buzz probably gives us the best chance to be successful next year.  Why?  In all likelihood the big 3 are back which was not a given if another coach was hired.  The current players know Buzz and workouts in the offseason will be similar.  The offensive and defensive philosophies probably won't be dramatic changes.  All of that leads to continuity.  Add to the fact that we don't lose all 4 recruits.  Eric Williams still wants to come to MU and I say that is pretty good. 

Also the administration didn't rush into a hire.  They actually had 9 months to evaluate Buzz to determine he was on their short list.