Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Erik Williams reaffirms commitment to MU  (Read 9162 times)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: "His parents are really big on the Jesuit education."
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 01:54:19 PM »
"His parents are really big on the Jesuit education."

yes, this was wonderful to read.....a kid who values the university and its mission, not to mention hoops.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Erik Williams reaffirms commitment to MU
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 01:55:58 PM »
I love the JEsuits and all the Good work they have done. But I dont' think many of us are jumping on there.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 02:00:03 PM »
I just didn't want my school to have to make such a risky hire

I understand that.  But why post it in every thread?

I'm not anti-Buzz, I'm anti-process and thought they acted way to quickly.  He was there to be had further down the process. 

They're not anti-Buzz, they're dumbfounded at how the process went down, the reasons for said process, etc.

Fair enough?

Fair enough... but the process is over. No amount of posts are going to change that now.

Let's move on.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 02:03:28 PM »

Because when I'm called out as anti-Buzz they are wrong so apparently I need to keep saying it.  I'm not anti-Buzz, I'm anti-process and thought they acted way to quickly.  He was there to be had further down the process. 

So I'll tell you what, I'll stop saying it's a risky hire if some of the folks stop implying people are anti-Buzz.  They're not anti-Buzz, they're dumbfounded at how the process went down, the reasons for said process, etc.

Fair enough?

Would you be as "anti-process" if MU had hired Tony Bennett or Sean Miller withing 24 hours of Crean's resignation and without first contacting and/or interviewing Brad Brownell, Jim Les and Keno Davis?
If not, then you're not as anti-process as you claim. Rather, you're "anti the process than led to Buzz Williams" which, in short, makes you "anti-Buzz." That doesn't mean you dislike the guy or wish bad things upon him, but clearly you're more unhappy about who the process led to and not the process itself.

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Erik Williams reaffirms commitment to MU
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2008, 02:15:04 PM »
Erik Williams reaffirms commitment to MU

Written by: Todd Rosiak

Erik Williams, a fast-rising junior from Cypress Springs (Tex.) High School has reaffirmed his oral commitment to MU.

"With everything that's been going on, I'm just going to decide to stay with Marquette," said Williams, who is currently ranked as the 44th-best overall player in the Class of 2009 by Scout.com and the seventh-best small forward. "Based on my opionion before, and what I saw when I went up there, I just remembered all the things I liked up there and I just decided to stay with it."

Williams, a 6-foot-7 forward, gave an oral commitment last fall but hadn't been heard from publicly since Tom Crean left MU for Indiana two weeks ago.

Interestingly, had MU not hired Williams to replace Crean, Williams might very well have wound up at Indiana with Crean. He and his coach at Cypress Springs, John Harmatuk, decided to wait MU's hiring process out before ultimately making a decision.

"The reason we weren't in a hurry is because it was going to be Indiana or Marquette," said Harmatuk. "He was never going to open it up to anybody else. He never wavered from Marquette. His parents are really big on the Jesuit education. That was the No. 1 priority for his family. Then No. 2, Erik was comfortable with Coach Buzz and comfortable with the kids that play at Marquette."

"If you're going to do recruiting right, you're going to do it on relationships because you're going to spend 24 hours a day, seven days a week with these guys for four years, and that's what it was all about. Erik had a good relationship with two people -- Coach Buzz and Coach Crean. That's why he wasn't in a hurry. He knew he had two good choices. It was never not going to be Marquette.

"There was that four- or five-day period when no head coach was named. As soon as Coach Buzz was named...it was easy."

Williams said his relationship with MU's new coach is a strong one. 

"I know that I can trust him as my head coach, and he's a great guy off the court also," Williams said. "But I know he's going to push me 110% on the court, too. We have a real good relationship."

Williams also said that he keeps in contact with Chris Otule, one of three remaining signees for next season, and Otule told him he will also honor his commitment to MU.

Williams, who averaged 19.1 points, 8.4 rebounds and 4.7 blocks in 22 games last season, continues to recover from a broken left foot he suffered in practice on Jan. 1. Williams had a screw inserted into the bone to promote healing two weeks after suffering the injury, and is getting closer to be given the all-clear to resume full activity.

"I'm starting to work out and get in the gym a little bit," Williams said. "I'm off the crutches, but I'm still wearing a boot. But I can still work out. Hopefully this will be my last month (of recovery)."

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/04/15/erik-williams-reaffirms-commitment-to-mu.aspx

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2008, 02:15:04 PM »

Because when I'm called out as anti-Buzz they are wrong so apparently I need to keep saying it.  I'm not anti-Buzz, I'm anti-process and thought they acted way to quickly.  He was there to be had further down the process. 

So I'll tell you what, I'll stop saying it's a risky hire if some of the folks stop implying people are anti-Buzz.  They're not anti-Buzz, they're dumbfounded at how the process went down, the reasons for said process, etc.

Fair enough?

Would you be as "anti-process" if MU had hired Tony Bennett or Sean Miller withing 24 hours of Crean's resignation and without first contacting and/or interviewing Brad Brownell, Jim Les and Keno Davis?
If not, then you're not as anti-process as you claim. Rather, you're "anti the process than led to Buzz Williams" which, in short, makes you "anti-Buzz." That doesn't mean you dislike the guy or wish bad things upon him, but clearly you're more unhappy about who the process led to and not the process itself.

Nice try again Pakuni, and we've been down this road before.  The process changed after the first two strikes...it went into plan B before it had too.  So once the process/plan changed, yes I was against that plan.  Why take a 4th round draft choice in the 2nd round when you can still get him in the 4th round?

Think of this way Pakuni....I support Buzz but not the administration or it's decision....much like people "support the troops but not the war".   :o

MarkMiller

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2008, 02:19:16 PM »
Chicos: The people who made the hire do not view Buzz Williams as a fourth-round draft choice.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2008, 02:19:35 PM »

Fair enough?

Nice try again Pakuni, and we've been down this road before.  The process changed after the first two strikes...it went into plan B before it had too.  So once the process/plan changed, yes I was against that plan.  Why take a 4th round draft choice in the 2nd round when you can still get him in the 4th round?

Think of this way Pakuni....I support Buzz but not the administration or it's decision....much like people "support the troops but not the war".   :o
Can we call that pulling a Maurice Clarett
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2008, 02:20:38 PM »
No commentary from PRN or Chicos yet?

I think this is great news. Glad to hear it. Hopefully he can continue to land recruits on his own merit.

But it's still a terrible, unnecessarily risky hire. Nothing is going to change that. Winning $25K playing blackjack doesn't mean playing cards is a good career move.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2008, 02:22:14 PM »

As long as we're mixing sports metaphors ... You may have had Buzz as a fourth-round value on your draft board, but clearly the administration did not. A lot of people thought the Colts reached when they took the less proven early-entry candidate Edgerrin James over four-year starter and Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams.
The more established guy isn't always the best guy.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:26:46 PM by Pakuni »

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2008, 02:25:15 PM »
Chicos: The people who made the hire do not view Buzz Williams as a fourth-round draft choice.

And there's the problem.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2008, 02:29:59 PM »
Several great quotes from IWB's story on Sports Bubbler:

http://www.sportsbubbler.com/DisplayTopic.aspx?topicID=1453

“Despite everything that has gone on, I remain strongly committed to Marquette University,” Erik Williams said. “Coach Crean is a great person and coach, but the more I thought about it, I committed to Marquette because of everything that it stands for and has to offer. In the south, everything is football. At Marquette, basketball is the main focus.”

Williams said his relationship with Buzz Williams also played a large role in his decision to remain committed to Marquette.

“Buzz Williams is a great guy and he really built a strong relationship with me,” Erik Williams said. “I have spoken to Chris Otule and we both feel the same way, we are 100 percent confident that Buzz Williams will do a great job as the head coach at Marquette.”

Cypress Springs coach John Harmatuk believes Erik Williams remained committed to Marquette because of his comfort level with Buzz Williams.

“When Erik found out Buzz got the job, it didn’t take long for him to make a decision,” Harmatuk said. “It’s all about relationships because you are going to spend 24 hours a day, seven days a week with the guy. For Erik, Marquette and Buzz Williams was a comfort decision.

“Marquette is getting a tireless worker in Buzz Williams. He is just like Tom Crean in that respect. Buzz does a great job of building relationships with kids and they trust him.”

“Marquette is getting a 6-7 wing -- a true two or three guard type – who can handle the ball and really shoot it,” Harmatuk said. “Erik is one of the two or three best players in Texas and a top fifty player nationally. He’s also a great shot blocker.”

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2008, 02:36:34 PM »
as a side note, I love the picture of Buzz on the sportsbubbler page. kind of reminds of a Third Reich speech. ;D

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:39:07 PM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2008, 02:46:49 PM »

And there's the problem.

Or the problem is a bunch of jock sniffing armchair quarterbacks who have never met any of the potential candidates think they know more than those who have had interactions, or are close with those who have.

But that is the beauty of a message board.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2008, 02:49:01 PM »

Mark, I understand that and that is obviously the case.  I believe they thought him to be option 3 and based on how aggressively they stopped the search after their top 2 were out, that seems to be the case.  

This administration also viewed Gold as a tangible nickname so I have less confidence then you do in them.

The great news is that next year this team should do nothing short of an NCAA bid and probably a top 5 Big East pre-season (maybe top 6) pick barring anything disasterous from happening.  That, hopefully, will go a long way to helping Buzz out in recruiting and quelling any questions (even the following year will probably be the first where he will really have to dig deep into his coaching skills).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2008, 02:55:34 PM »

And there's the problem.

Or the problem is a bunch of jock sniffing armchair quarterbacks who have never met any of the potential candidates think they know more than those who have had interactions, or are close with those who have.

But that is the beauty of a message board.

Of course, wouldn't it be sad if the jock sniffing armchair qb's were right...what would that say about the people in power and their close interactions?   ;)

Or an equally interesting question would be, why are all those folks at UNO (the AD, etc) that had day to day interactions and were close to the process saying something totally different?  Could be those folks are just jock sniffing armchair qb's as well as being the AD, etc....serving two roles.  Which is nice.

Interesting....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2008, 03:03:32 PM »

Or an equally interesting question would be, why are all those folks at UNO (the AD, etc) that had day to day interactions and were close to the process saying something totally different?  Could be those folks are just jock sniffing armchair qb's as well as being the AD, etc....serving two roles.  Which is nice.

Who are "all those folks" you speak of? A few message board denizens unhappy with how he left? What about the other message board denizens who praised Williams' coaching ability? New Orleans AD has said things to indicate his displeasure with the way Buzz departed, but I've yet to read anything from the school that negative about his ability to coach and recruit players. Quite the opposite, in fact, here's what the AD, Jim Miller, in regards to the job Buzz did down there:

"He has made giant strides at improving our program, for which we are grateful, and I pledge that those positive strides will continue with a new head coach."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2928349

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2008, 03:13:15 PM »
No Pakuni, not posters on a message board.  I'm talking about folks in that department.  And I know this will shock you, but not everything makes the papers but folks in the industry can pick up a phone and find out info rather easily.

My point was rather simple, there are people close to the situation at UNO and close to the situation at MU....doesn't make them infallible nor does it make them experts on the hiring process.  Both are DI athletic departments and both have differing views....and they don't even have to be arm-chair jock sniffing types either.   ;)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2008, 03:18:35 PM »
No Pakuni, not posters on a message board.  I'm talking about folks in that department.  And I know this will shock you, but not everything makes the papers but folks in the industry can pick up a phone and find out info rather easily.

My point was rather simple, there are people close to the situation at UNO and close to the situation at MU....doesn't make them infallible nor does it make them experts on the hiring process.  Both are DI athletic departments and both have differing views....and they don't even have to be arm-chair jock sniffing types either.   ;)

Oh boy. "The things that I know" routine.
Whatever. If you want to share with us information from your vast array of contacts at the University of New Orleans, please do. Otherwise, the I-have-a-secret bit is tiring.

Though I've got to ask, if the people at UNO thought so poorly of Buzz, why were they upset when he left?
Oh wait ... they weren't upset that he left, they were upset over how he left. Seems to be a common theme.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2008, 03:26:48 PM »
Yes, definitely upset with how he left, no one can deny that. One year into a deal and he's gone, yes that's troubling for any department.  I'm sure you would agree that makes it tough on the department and of course they feel jilted.  We would feel the same way as would any department....especially because it happened so late as well.  It's not like it happened right after the season ended which only added to much of the jilted feelings.

I have no secrets, I'm just saying two different departments view things differently despite being close to the process.  The assertion by another poster was that because someone wasn't there day to day that their opinions must not be valid.  I disagree with that assertion.  It's just an opinion like any other...some will be right, some will be wrong.

No different then some of the recruiting reports by "recruiting gurus" and coaches over the years for MU.  One would have thought we would have won 3 national titles based on the glowing remarks on some of those recruits over the years, it's strange that some turned out to be total flops despite how "close" they were to the process.   ;)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2008, 03:33:17 PM »
Yes, definitely upset with how he left, no one can deny that. One year into a deal and he's gone, yes that's troubling for any department.  I'm sure you would agree that makes it tough on the department and of course they feel jilted.  We would feel the same way as would any department....especially because it happened so late as well.  It's not like it happened right after the season ended which only added to much of the jilted feelings.

I have no secrets, I'm just saying two different departments view things differently despite being close to the process. 

I have no doubt that the UNO people think poorly of Buzz. I wouldn't expect otherwise, given the timing and circumstances of his departure. They have good reason for feeling burned cause that's what happened to them. Buzz, IMO, probably could make the argument that he was burned first, but it really doesn't matter at this point.
That said, unless their criticisms relate to his coaching ability, his recruiting ability or the manner in which he ran the program (i.e. making kids go to class, no violations, recruiting good kids) then it's irrelevant to me. Their ill will over how Buzz left doesn't matter, as far as I'm concerned, because I really don't believe Williams would bail on MU after a year or two over whether or not the university is committed to running a competitive basketball program. I think that issue is pretty well established.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2008, 03:40:51 PM »

No different then some of the recruiting reports by "recruiting gurus" and coaches over the years for MU.  One would have thought we would have won 3 national titles based on the glowing remarks on some of those recruits over the years, it's strange that some turned out to be total flops despite how "close" they were to the process.   ;)

Chicos,

I don't want to argue with you because I think we are all really feeling the same way... but expressing it differently.

However, your point about recruiting is interesting because couldn't we say/think that Buzz is a diamond in the rough like our best player ever?

Now, before everybody blasts me for comparing him to Wade... I just want to be clear that I'm not saying it's the same thing... I'm just saying that taking a chance on a person is not always a bad thing.

Again, your point about not taking an unnecessary risk is valid and duly noted... I'm just optimistic that maybe we got Buzz before he is really a known quantity... so maybe it's a good thing.

And, for full disclosure... if Buzz tanks, I will admit that I am/was wrong.

jos7287

• Walk-On
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2008, 03:42:23 PM »
I like the fact that although buzz has not proven himself yet, he doesn't have to start with a crap team.  If he is behind the learning curve he should be able to catch up fast while a strong 08-09 team carries him a bit.  Never hurts to get some help at the start.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
my point was this
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2008, 03:42:42 PM »
It wasn't necessarily directed at you Chicos, but at quite a few people who have no idea about:

1) Buzz's coaching ability
2) Buzz's interviewing skills
3) Buzz's recruiting skills
4) Buzz's offensive and defensive game plan

as well as having no idea about these same issues on potential coaches such as Lowery, Brownell, et al.

But yet seem to think our process was flawed because we "quickly settled" on a guy with one year of head coaching experience, despite the fact that he is well known in the coaching community as one of the best recruiters, by far the most important aspect in building a quality team.

And I love the fact that people keep bringing up the "Gold" fiasco.  Big difference in hiring a basketball coach and picking a stupid nickname.

Edit:  Woohoo I am on scholarship now!!!  Does that mean no room for Butler?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 03:44:55 PM by indeelaw90 »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2008, 03:59:33 PM »
+2 for Buzz.  This is very nice news.  Hopefully it's just the start.

feedback