'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Board Note about Coach Hurley  (Read 4691 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Board Note about Coach Hurley
« on: April 15, 2008, 07:14:02 AM »
New Rule: Vulgar criticism of Coach Bob Hurley will not be tolerated.

Why?

1. Anger at him is misdirected anger at Crean.  Hurley is simply advising his player to guide him into the right situation.  If any of us were in his place, we would do the same.  Marquette's next 4 years is a far different than it was on March 31st.

2. The vulgar criticism is self-defeating.  Marquette lost Taylor.  It's over.   Making one of the top HS coaches in the nation pissed off at Marquette (fans) is incredibly un-productive for future recruiting, to say the least.

Vulgar criticism of Tom Crean is okie dokie, though.   :-X

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Board Note about Coach Hurley
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 07:52:24 AM »
Well put.

If you think that TT was the last decent recruit out of "St. Tony" than rip Hurley.  But if Buzz handles himself with class and leadership, he has a real opportunity to open a pipeline to this program.

Or, how many coaches elevated from the assistant ranks get this much attention from the #1 high school b-ball program in the country?  Handle this correctly and it will pay long-term dividends.

That means, let him out of his LOI, keep the scholie open.  Let TT have every opportunity to make the decision that is best for him.  If for some reason he does decide to come to MU, it's voluntary and not because he was forced.  He's 18 years old and confused.  Do not force him. 

Show class and it will be rewarded down the road by a guy like Hurley.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 07:52:52 AM »
thanks hilltopper

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 08:01:28 AM »
I applaud Hurley. I have zero clue why anybody would disagree with what he's doing.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 08:32:45 AM »
I don't see what vulgar criticism of Crean's going to do either.

Like Hurley, if anyone of us were offered IU over MU we'd take IU...or at least, if we had any hoops IQ we would. How Crean bolted, that's another story and worth being upset about.

But to hold all this animosity towards Crean now? It's over. He moved on to a better job. MU is the one that didn't take advantage of where he took the program and made a panic hire.

You want to be angry, be angry w/Wild for hiring an inexperienced coach and A.D.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 08:49:56 AM »
I applaud Hurley. I have zero clue why anybody would disagree with what he's doing.

Simple, there's a right way to do things and a wrong way, Hurley has chosen the wrong way.  Look at Nick Williams' coach Otis Hughley.  He came out the first day and said Williams wanted a release, and then he shut up and kept everything out of the press, but worked with MU behind the scenes.  MU didn't waste any time releasing NW.  Hurley OTOH has been out there talking to reporters every other day, and saying all sorts of things that don't need to be said just to blast MU. 

I don't disagree with his premise, but he's gone about it the wrong way.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 09:07:35 AM »
I'm not a fan of vulgar criticism of Hurley, but I doubt very much he's cruising MU Scoop or any other fan site to gauge how his actions are playing among the Marquette faithful.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 09:24:55 AM »
Hurley loves the limelight, as do most high school coaches who are basically gym teachers. He is in this for his 15 minutes of fame. Good luck to TT whereever he winds up.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 09:35:27 AM »
Hurley loves the limelight, as do most high school coaches who are basically gym teachers. He is in this for his 15 minutes of fame. Good luck to TT whereever he winds up.

After 30 years of coaching with one son starring at a national powerhouse in college and another son building a national powerhouse prep team, I'm not sure the 15 minutes of fame argument really works.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 09:47:16 AM »
Hurley is just watching out for his players.  I don't have any warm fuzzies about Crean these days, but if MU program goes in decline as the current negativity suggests, I won't blame it on Crean leaving.  I'll blame it on Cottingham and the administration for botching this hire when it was in position to hire a more qualified and experienced coach.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 10:00:06 AM »
I posted this on the other board, so apologies if I'm being redundant. 

Normally I'm for letting the recruits out of their LOI when a head coach leaves before they get to school.  But this one is a little dicey.  TT has repeatedly said that he had a better relationship with Buzz and would come to Marquette if Williams was the head coach.  Now Hurley is being a jag and pushing MU to let TT visit other schools.  Nick Williams flat out said he didn't want to come here after Crean left and was decisive about it.  Fine I respect that, Buzz really didn't recruit him and it's not fair that NW is put in a situation he doesn't want to be in.  But this "maybe" attitude by Hurley and Taylor is bs.  They're trying to use Crean leaving, and the fact that Taylor's stock rose drastically from the start of his senior year to the end, as leverage to get Taylor into a bigger name school that didn't offer him a scholarship originally.  And if they don't offer him one now well then we'll come back to you Marquette.  So I say in Taylor's case, you signed the LOI we're holding you to it.  See you in Milwaukee TT.  He has a great opportunity to start his sophomore year and if he ends up doing well, then all will be forgiven with Hurley and the relationship restored.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 10:05:15 AM »
I hope this is not considered "vulgar" but when Hurley publicly stated that after hours of talking with Buzz he was still a guy with one year of head coaching experience (I paraphrase) that's a cheap shot and a self-aggrandizing statement if I ever heard one.  No need to diss us.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 10:12:07 AM »
How is that a cheap shot?  It's entirely accurate.   

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 10:13:46 AM »

Was just going to post that we as fans have to figure out what's a "diss" or a "cheap shot" or an "accurate statement" as we go ahead into this recruiting cycle.

I imagine it will depend on who says it, whether we land the player, or if people are being defensive.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 10:30:13 AM »

Again, look at the way Hughley and Williams handled it on their side.  They simply said, Buzz is a great guy but NW signed up to play for Crean, and still wants out.  That's all that needs to be said.  There's no need to talk about his history or qualificiations, because then it just looks like you're bashing the guy.  All he had to say was, we talked to Buzz and still want to be let out of the LOI.  No other details need to be given unless you are trying to make someone look bad.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 10:36:39 AM »
agreed, bma. 

Even if you think we are currently the ugly stepsister, and even if you think it is accurate why not take the high road and use a little tact?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 10:39:43 AM »
"No other details need to be given unless you are trying to make someone look bad." .. I disagree.  Hurley is being asked a question.  Instead of giving a fluffy answer that doesn't indicate his real opinion, he's giving a straight one.    He gets blamed for that?  Please.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 11:16:50 AM »
"No other details need to be given unless you are trying to make someone look bad." .. I disagree.  Hurley is being asked a question.  Instead of giving a fluffy answer that doesn't indicate his real opinion, he's giving a straight one.    He gets blamed for that?  Please.

Wouldn't we rather have Hurley be straight with MU's chances then dance around and make us think we still have a shot with Taylor? This way we can move on and Buzz can start landing those studs from Texas.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 11:23:43 AM »
He can be straight about MU's chances in his private meeting with Buzz.  There is no need to worsen the situation by making public statements designed to be inflammatory.  What comes around goes around Coach Hurley.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 11:31:30 AM »
If Hurley's big concern was Buzz's inexperience, why did he bother meeting with him?  It's not like Buzz was going to have any more experience after the meeting than he walked in with.  That excuse is just a smokescreen.  Hurley had his mind made up, probably before TC left.  The kid was getting interest from bigger name schools.  TC's leaving just gave him an excuse.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 11:32:47 AM »
See, that's the difference.  You think saying "Buzz has 1 year of coaching experience" is "inflammatory".  I do not.  It's a statement of fact which explains his and TT's reasoning.   Hurley didn't sit back and think, gosh, how can I screw Marquette?   He simply answered a question with a straight, factual answer.     -- And surprise, guys.  That's going to be going through the head of EVERY recruit and coach for the next several years, not because Hurley DARED mention it, but because of its factual nature.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 11:37:36 AM »

Wouldn't we rather have Hurley be straight with MU's chances then dance around and make us think we still have a shot with Taylor? This way we can move on and Buzz can start landing those studs from Texas.

There's a way to be straight about it while still showing class.  Hurley didn't do that.  Again, and I can't believe I'm actually using him as an example of class, but Otis Hughley was very classy when discussing Nick Williams future and getting Nick out of his LOI.  Hurley on the other hand, even before Buzz was hired made disparaging remarks about the way MU was handling it, while not blaming Crean for a thing when there is nothing MU could have done.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 11:37:52 AM »
Anyone know when we will hear about a release of TT?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 11:39:22 AM »
you are absolutely right.....nothing but the passage of time will add to Buzz's experience.  My objection is to the public way in which Hurley chose to comment.  Criticize in private, praise in public.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 11:45:53 AM »
So then, to Hurley's line of thinking, no one should have played for a first-year Jim Boeheim, or a first-year John Wooden, or a first-year Coach K. I'm not saying Buzz is any of those people, but...
Hurley is living his life through his players. He is a high-school coach; nothing more, nothing less.

jce

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 11:49:32 AM »
I posted this on the other board, so apologies if I'm being redundant. 

Normally I'm for letting the recruits out of their LOI when a head coach leaves before they get to school.  But this one is a little dicey.  TT has repeatedly said that he had a better relationship with Buzz and would come to Marquette if Williams was the head coach.  Now Hurley is being a jag and pushing MU to let TT visit other schools.  Nick Williams flat out said he didn't want to come here after Crean left and was decisive about it.  Fine I respect that, Buzz really didn't recruit him and it's not fair that NW is put in a situation he doesn't want to be in.  But this "maybe" attitude by Hurley and Taylor is bs.  They're trying to use Crean leaving, and the fact that Taylor's stock rose drastically from the start of his senior year to the end, as leverage to get Taylor into a bigger name school that didn't offer him a scholarship originally.  And if they don't offer him one now well then we'll come back to you Marquette.  So I say in Taylor's case, you signed the LOI we're holding you to it.  See you in Milwaukee TT.  He has a great opportunity to start his sophomore year and if he ends up doing well, then all will be forgiven with Hurley and the relationship restored.

No way.  If TT really doesn't want to be here, it does no one really any good to have him here.  For instance, if I hired someone who signed a contract, and before he even started here called me and said "You know, I've been thinking about this and I really don't want to move," I would let him out of the deal.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 11:50:15 AM »
Yep agreed.  Burn no bridges.  We may need to cross that way again . . . soon.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 03:07:23 PM »
Vulgar criticism of Tom Crean is okie dokie, though.   :-X

That's enough for me.  ;)
SS Marquette

MUPig

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 03:23:01 PM »
Hmmm.....maybe we should have just hired Hurley instead!  (Just kidding)