[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA moving towards allowing NIL  (Read 22055 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: NCAA moving towards allowing NIL
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2020, 04:54:23 PM »
Okay, now that is dumb. So college athletics run for free and the schools keep all the revenue? Your just being obtuse or have some huge ax to grind because of something personal.

Unless you have some proof that schools like UAB or Northern Iowa, Montana State, NJIT, etc. are pocketing huge (or any)  amounts of money from athletics; then we'll agree to disagree on the ethics of American colleges and universities.

Then eliminate athletic scholarships and adopt the Ivy League model if ethics is your concern
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2020, 04:58:54 PM »
It’s abhorrent I believe in student athletes to be able to earn of their name, image and likeness?

Your constant slander of me is sad and says far more about you.

It's not slander Rico..your posts on things scream loud and clear about the things you believe in, what you think etc. I'm hoping that as you get older and learn more about the world around you, your mindset will change. You're continual smart ass ways WILL catch up to you at some point.

What's abhorrent are the things you believe in that have nothing to do with sports(which is obvious from posts on other boards), THOSE things are abhorrent and you're completely misguided and ill informed. I'm not saying that believing student athletes should be able to earn off name, image and likeness is ABHORRENT, but given the other things you stand for and believe in(non sports related) that are abhorrent, it doesn't surprise me that you would also support something like this.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2020, 05:04:38 PM »
It's not slander Rico..your posts on things scream loud and clear about the things you believe in, what you think etc. I'm hoping that as you get older and learn more about the world around you, your mindset will change. You're continual smart ass ways WILL catch up to you at some point.

What's abhorrent are the things you believe in that have nothing to do with sports(which is obvious from posts on other boards), THOSE things are abhorrent and you're completely misguided and ill informed. I'm not saying that believing student athletes should be able to earn off name, image and likeness is ABHORRENT, but given the other things you stand for and believe in(non sports related) that are abhorrent, it doesn't surprise me that you would also support something like this.

You are so out of your depth and wrong about everything you just posted. 

Also, what other boards do I post on?  That’s news to me
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 05:07:03 PM by Uncle Rico »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2020, 05:09:10 PM »
Okay, now that is dumb. So college athletics run for free and the schools keep all the revenue? Your just being obtuse or have some huge ax to grind because of something personal.

Unless you have some proof that schools like UAB or Northern Iowa, Montana State, NJIT, etc. are pocketing huge (or any)  amounts of money from athletics; then we'll agree to disagree on the ethics of American colleges and universities.

Bingo! This is Rico in a nutshell. He is vehemently engaged in NIL and wanting it, and many times when I have asked what is deal with the NCAA is, and why he despises them so much, he just dodges it, or gives a "canned" answer like "I don't like the athletes being treated like cattle". Point being, he has no real reason to hate them, but he "just does" because it seems like an en vogue thing to do. I would have FAR more respect for his position(or anyone's for that matter) and why they find the NCAA so loathsome if they were willing to spell out exactly why they are against them.Was there one particular event that made them hate them so much?? Did they do something to them personally?? A detailed response and reason other than the standard canned answers people give "Greedy ad's etc) would go a long way. usually when people get asked many times as to why they do or don't believe this or that and dodge it all the time or can't give a clear, concise response..they are the type that just like to be confrontational and had something put in their head by someone else at some point, without really researching it on their own, and making their own decisions. there's a lot of that in this world, people see or hear something from someone/something and believe that it's true, without even really researching it to find out if it really is or not. "Oh, so and so said it so it has to be true". 99% of the time, it isn't. It's a false narrative people create

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2020, 05:18:01 PM »
You are so out of your depth and wrong about everything you just posted. 

Also, what other boards do I post on?  That’s news to me

No I'm not, you post frequently on the Covid-19 board and have made your beliefs, and your agendas abundantly clear. If you want to try to say I'm wrong about everything I posted, that would be incorrect..the proof is in those posts. The things you believe in and support are all right there. You don't hide it that's for sure. It's not just you, many others support the same abhorrent things you do Rico. People have been influenced  by the wrong people for many years, and are completely misguided. It honestly makes me sad.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2020, 05:19:25 PM »
No I'm not, you post frequently on the Covid-19 board and have made your beliefs, and your agendas abundantly clear. If you want to try to say I'm wrong about everything I posted, that would be incorrect..the proof is in those posts. The things you believe in and support are all right there. You don't hide it that's for sure. It's not just you, many others support the same abhorrent things you do Rico. People have been influenced  by the wrong people for many years, and are completely misguided. It honestly makes me sad.

I know people that have been influenced by Rush Limbaugh.  That makes me sad.  People that can’t write complete sentences make me sad, too.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2020, 05:22:49 PM »
The real issue here is people continuing to issue statements using center justify.  The man runs supposedly successful athletic department but he issues a statement that looks like a eighth grader designed it.  Who types like that?
 Why does everyone continue to do it? 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2020, 06:56:04 PM »
I know no one cares(specifically Rico who will chime in with his youthful, smart ass response), but I think it's important to note the concerns the student athletes themselves have..So if it's about the kids(which is what Rico and others constantly say they support), then don't these Student athletes voices deserve to be heard?? Or don't there's matter??

If they don't want to monetize their name and likeness, they don'thave to.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2020, 07:04:15 PM »

If they don't want to monetize their name and likeness, they don'thave to.

I will ask the question again, are we certain that a vast majority of college athletes even want this?? I haven't seen any comments from any that suggest they do. I haven't seen any that suggest they don't either. but if this is such a big thing, and so many athletes want it, why hasn't there been any talk of it whatsoever by them??

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2020, 07:08:39 PM »
I will ask the question again, are we certain that a vast majority of college athletes even want this?? I haven't seen any comments from any that suggest they do. I haven't seen any that suggest they don't either. but if this is such a big thing, and so many athletes want it, why hasn't there been any talk of it whatsoever by them??

Why does it have to be a vast majority?  Why can't it be a few?  My guess is that most of them don't really care because they aren't going to be able to monetize their image much anyway.

I mean, why are you against it?  Why have you asked hundreds of questions with thousands of question marks, even though most of them have been repeatedly answered?

It's a mystery.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2020, 07:35:36 PM »

Why does it have to be a vast majority?  Why can't it be a few?  My guess is that most of them don't really care because they aren't going to be able to monetize their image much anyway.

I mean, why are you against it?  Why have you asked hundreds of questions with thousands of question marks, even though most of them have been repeatedly answered?

It's a mystery.

Well why do only those few opinions matter the most? This is the real problem we are having everywhere in this country right now.  We are catering to the "few" at the expense of the majority. That's not the way it's supposed to work. Here's a novel idea..why don't they have a vote of the student athletes( in every sport), you know the one's that this is supposed to benefit. Majority rules, like how a democracy is supposed to work. If more vote for it, than implement it(and even then I would come around to it), if they vote against it, then it's dropped and doesn't get implemented. Easy peasy. If it's all about the kids that so many hypocritical people say it is, then let them decide.  College campuses are making a push to get SA's to register to vote etc and learn about voting. This would be a perfect way to get them to learn more about democracy. And, this might be a lot more impartial and as opposed to the upcoming election, I'm sure with this, there wouldn't be Coaches, administrators, etc trying to influence them to vote a certain way. They'd let them think for themselves with this.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2020, 07:41:27 PM »
Well why do only those few opinions matter the most? This is the real problem we are having everywhere in this country right now.  We are catering to the "few" at the expense of the majority. That's not the way it's supposed to work. Here's a novel idea..why don't they have a vote of the student athletes( in every sport), you know the one's that this is supposed to benefit. Majority rules, like how a democracy is supposed to work. If more vote for it, than implement it(and even then I would come around to it), if they vote against it, then it's dropped and doesn't get implemented. Easy peasy. If it's all about the kids that so many hypocritical people say it is, then let them decide.  College campuses are making a push to get SA's to register to vote etc and learn about voting. This would be a perfect way to get them to learn more about democracy. And, this might be a lot more impartial and as opposed to the upcoming election, I'm sure with this, there wouldn't be Coaches, administrators, etc trying to influence them to vote a certain way. They'd let them think for themselves with this.

Majority rule is a good idea.  Too bad it didn’t work for the presidency

panda

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2020, 07:50:31 PM »

Here’s an idea - Those who can profit off their likeness can and will do so and those who can’t still get a pretty sweet deal in a  scholarship to play d1 athletics.

What’s wrong with that?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2020, 07:53:03 PM »

:) Triggered. It did work though, EXACTLY the way it's supposed to..the electoral college determines the winner and loser of elections in this country. Now go rail against that too because "it's dumb" and shouldn't be that way, simply because you aren't getting your way. 

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2020, 07:53:31 PM »

How is this rule "at the expense" of the many?  How are those "many" harmed? 

And again, you are offering no proof at all that a significant number of student athletes are against this.  So your entire premise is might be faulty to begin with. 

But I guess this going to be your new reason not to be for something because you simply don't like change.

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2020, 07:53:55 PM »
Here’s an idea - Those who can profit off their likeness can and will do so and those who can’t still get a pretty sweet deal in a  scholarship to play d1 athletics.

What’s wrong with that?

Exactly.  It's not hard.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2020, 07:54:51 PM »
Yep we are not a real democracy
Goal is National Championship

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2020, 07:58:09 PM »
:) Triggered. It did work though, EXACTLY the way it's supposed to..the electoral college determines the winner and loser of elections in this country. Now go rail against that too because "it's dumb" and shouldn't be that way, simply because you aren't getting your way.

So, the majority doesn’t rule? 

And “it’s dumb” and shouldn’t be that way is an argument, huh?

That’s a lot of self-owning

muguru

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2020, 08:04:51 PM »

What’s wrong with that?

Well...but wait a minute now..all we have been hearing about on TV and social media lately is that we are supposed to treat people equally(which is common sense), and so now you're pushing something that doesn't treat everyone equally. Hmmm..isn't that incredibly hypocritical?? Answer: yes.  You and Rico and everyone else on this side are going to have to take the "L" here panda.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2020, 08:06:22 PM »
Well...but wait a minute now..all we have been hearing about on TV and social media lately is that we are supposed to treat people equally(which is common sense), and so now you're pushing something that doesn't treat everyone equally. Hmmm..isn't that incredibly hypocritical?? Answer: yes.  You and Rico and everyone else on this side are going to have to take the "L" here panda.

You’ve already lost.  They will be treated equally.  They will be able to earn what the market offers them. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2020, 08:13:31 PM »
That is not one man one vote which is democracy. Electoral college was done to apease certain states but I'll leave it at that.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2020, 08:15:14 PM »

Definition of irony

panda

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2020, 08:16:34 PM »

You’re comparing racial equality to college athletes doing some Instagram ads? And you’re saying I’m taking the L???? C’mon man

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2020, 08:20:10 PM »

Allowing people to earn what they are worth is treating them fairly.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2020, 08:20:20 PM »

How is this rule "at the expense" of the many?  How are those "many" harmed? 

And again, you are offering no proof at all that a significant number of student athletes are against this.  So your entire premise is might be faulty to begin with. 

But I guess this going to be your new reason not to be for something because you simply don't like change.

You're also not offering any proof at all that a significant number are for it either, you'll agree with that right?? Just because fans want it doesn't mean the student athletes do..all I'm asking in all seriousness is, what if the vast majority don't?? Isn't it supposed to be about the kids? Why isn't anyone seemingly not caring what they might think or want?? I mean there is at least some proof that not as many SA's want this as some may think, given the Student Athlete Advisory committee(who are the voice of student athletes) have many concerns about it. Shouldn't that at least warrant some pause and concern amongst the rank and file?? Look, I can and will get on board with NIL IF I was convinced or had proof a majority of SA's were for it. Right now, I'm not convinced(and haven't seen anything to change my mind yet) that this is the case. THEY should be the one's deciding on this, don't you think??

We have seen too many instances in this country in the last decade or so of "change" being made by people because they THINK it's best for everyone (when actually they are changing things because of some loud voices(and fear of those particular voices) and ignoring the even louder voices against it). Many times, it isn't for the best, and the people that make the decisions are deciding on change for some that want it, but ignoring the one's that don't. I can handle change, what I cannot handle, and shouldn't have to is being told how I HAVE to think or feel about said change and having it "crammed" down my throat. Change is not always for the best and as the last decade or so has shown, it's actually been bad in a lot of instances, and should have never been changed.

feedback