'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Does MU still accept JUCOs?  (Read 2114 times)

goldeneagle91114

• All American
Does MU still accept JUCOs?
« on: February 11, 2017, 05:06:48 PM »
Buzz did great with Jucos. Is it true that the administration changed their internal rules to make it so players, like Crowder, can no longer play at MU (they need to have enough juco credits, to graduate in the years of basketball eligibility they have left.)

If so, is this rule still in place? Looking at this soft team i think we need some players that come in with a chip on their shoulder.

tower912

• All American
Re: Does MU still accept JUCOs?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 05:11:21 PM »
Many claim yes.    With two caveat's.    1.   They have to be able to graduate on time.   2.   They have to say 'yes.'
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GE911

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 05:23:35 PM »
Anyway MU would reconsider? We need to look under every rock for talent. Save this higher accidemic cr@p for the Ivey league and get some ball players.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 05:24:38 PM »
Wojo has recruited a few JUCOs. Not as many as Buzz, but a few. Maurice O'Field visited and had us as a finalist. There were a couple others early on, not so of late.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 05:26:33 PM »
Anyway MU would reconsider? We need to look under every rock for talent. Save this higher accidemic cr@p for the Ivey league and get some ball players.

That's where I fall, but the powers that be disagree.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 06:35:30 PM »
We've been over this. We got spoiled by Buzz with JUCOs. A vast majority of JUCOs are not high major material. There have been maybe 10 JUCOs in the last three years that would have gotten starters minutes here. 1 of them we recruited heavily, even had him visit, but he decided to go elsewhere. The administration has not held Marquette back with JUCOs....they just aren't very many good ones.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 06:37:51 PM »
TAMU

You dismiss Juco's way too quickly. Say it to you often that you know the game well but sometimes you go to much by the book. Love you as fan but hope you never take over the program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 09:23:46 PM »
TAMU

You dismiss Juco's way too quickly. Say it to you often that you know the game well but sometimes you go to much by the book. Love you as fan but hope you never take over the program.

Feel the same about you Goose.

I wasn't talking out my butt about JUCOs. I actually went a did the research. Here you go.

The myth of the fertile recruiting grounds of JUCO has been greatly exaggerated. We were absolutely spoiled with the quality of JUCOs we got from Buzz. Crowder, JFB, DJO, and Buycks were four of the best JUCOs not just of their time period, but of all time. Most JUCOs don't pan out at the high major level. What JUCOs was Wojo supposed to land?

Over the past two years, 247 has ranked 99 players as the top JUCOs in the country.

1 was accused of sexual assault multiple times and as such wouldn't have been welcomed at Marquette. (2015 #1 Dominic Artis, went to UTEP). 98 Left.

Of those 98, 66 have yet to average more than 20 minutes in a game. An admittedly arbitrary stat but you would think to be an impact player at Marquette that you would have averaged around 20 minutes at most programs. 32 left.

Of those 32, 4 went to low major programs (South Alabama, Eastern Illinois, Lipscomb, and Grand Canyon). Definitely not at Marquette's level, down to 28.

Of those 28, 11 went to mid major programs (Murray State, Little Rock, UTEP, Houston, Western Kentucky, Fresno State, Central Florida, Iona, Missouri State, Tulsa, and Middle Tennessee State). A couple of those might have cracked Marquette's roster and some might have even started. But most would be role players at best. Down to 17.

Of those 17, 7 went to high major programs currently ranked outside of the top 100 per KenPom (St. John's, LSU, Auburn, Washington, Rutgers, Missouri, and Washington State). Again, some might have cracked the roster, and some may have earned a starting spot, but most would be role players at Marquette, if that. 10 Left.

Here are the 10 remaining JUCOs:
2015 #11 Chris Boucher (Oregon): 25.3 minutes, 14.1 points, 7.3 rebounds, 2.9 blocks
2015 #13 Justin Leon (Florida): 21.7 minutes, 7.2 points, 3.4 rebounds, .455 3P%
2015 #23 Vladimir Brodziansky (TCU): 20.3 minutes, 11.4 points, 5.2 rebounds, .590 FG%
2015 #34 Devon Thomas (Texas Tech): 25.5 minutes, 4.9 points, 3.8 assists, 1.3 steals
2015 #50 Rasheed Brooks (Ole Miss): 23.9 minutes, 8.8 points, 3.1 rebounds, 1.1 steals
2016 #1 Jaylen Barford (Arkansas): 22.1 minutes, 10.2 points, 3.3 rebounds, .286 3P%
2016 #5 Daryl Macon (Arkansas): 24.9 minutes, 14.1 points, 2.5 assists, .391 3P%
2016 #14 Tyler Rawson (Utah): 23.5 minutes, 7.7 points, 5.2 rebounds, 0.9 blocks
2016 #22 JoJo Zamora (Utah): 25.3 minutes, 10.6 points, 1.5 assists, .434 3P%
2016 #26 Justas Furmanavicius (Ole Miss): 23.6 minutes, 6.0 points, 5.4 rebounds, 1.5 blocks

All 10 would at least be rotation players for Marquette. I would say only Boucher and Macon would be definite starters. Others might have started, really can't say. Boucher is for sure the only true impact player that was the level of JUCO that Buzz was bringing in.

Oh and all these are assuming that none of the 99 had any disciplinary or academic issues that would have kept them out (besides Artis whose case I happened to know)

This is far from a science. There is a juco or two at the mid major level that I think could have competed at Marquette, Rob Gray at Houston comes to mind, but the main point still stands. Most JUCOs are JUCOs because they aren't very good at basketball. The pool of JUCOs capable of stepping in and starting for a high major is EXTREMELY shallow. In most cases, I would rather get a freshman who has four years to develop into a starter. I would rather have Howard and Hauser than any JUCO from last year's class. There were a couple of JUCOs in the 2015 class I would have rather had than say Heldt or Anim, but only a couple.

Buzz spoiled us with JUCOs. He didn't just get great JUCOs, he got some of the best ever.
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 09:24:37 PM »
Feel the same about you Goose.

I wasn't talking out my butt about JUCOs. I actually went a did the research. Here you go.

Buzz spoiled us with JUCOs. He didn't just get great JUCOs, he got some of the best ever.

The fact that FOUR of them made the NBA is downright miraculous. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 08:30:40 AM »
TAMU

My point is simple, we could use a couple high end Juco's over next couple of years. Not looking to add 2 a year. In addition, you never know how a kid will do in different environment. I doubt McKay would have same success at MU as he did at ISU. The program needs some toughness and experience next season.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 10:21:07 AM »
TAMU

My point is simple, we could use a couple high end Juco's over next couple of years. Not looking to add 2 a year. In addition, you never know how a kid will do in different environment. I doubt McKay would have same success at MU as he did at ISU. The program needs some toughness and experience next season.

We could. A JFB would work wonders for us. I would gladly take one and so would MU. Which is why Wojo has recruited some. My point is that there are maybe 5 -10 a year who are even high major worthy and maybe 1-2 who are true impact players. Many here seem to have the belief that there are juco studs everywhere and Wojo has been purposefully ignoring them. Simply not the case.
TAMU

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 11:21:09 AM »
They don't need a star from a JUCO. I'd take a body that wouldn't get tossed around like a rag doll.

There's enough scoring out there, where all they'd need is a 4 who could score on dump offs and putbacks.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 12:48:59 PM »
I have posted this in a few other threads: The best Jucos from this year are already committed.  Forget about Jucos.  Unless you want the next Jamil Lott.  But there is no magic bullet.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 09:05:32 PM »
I would like to see an emphasis on conventional proven transfers . On kids who have actually had success and maybe want a bigger stage or a new environment .  The benefit is they sit out a year get stronger , work on their game and build relationships with the team . Maurice Watson obviously a great example , also Foster at Creighton , Kethan Savage etc. Rowsey has been a good addition of this type. Gave Levin was ideal and it is too bad he didn't stay. I would like to see a steady stream of these proven transfers.

I am not a big fan of the grad transfers unless they fill a very specific role like Lockett. Also not a fan of guys who transfer because they felt entitled to great things without working hard . 

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 09:21:45 PM »
Again, people need to realize that their Juco experience is biased based on what Buzz did.  Most Jucos aren't very good at basketball.  Most don't play with a chip on their shoulder.  Most aren't overly physical.