[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Jay Bee
[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sandy Cohen Update - Post Any Updates Here  (Read 15733 times)

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
Re: Sandy Cohen Update - Post Any Updates Here
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2014, 12:31:41 PM »
I think Wojo should just try to keep Cohen and Hill. Let the others go and save the schollies  for more of the players he wants in his program. If we were able to keep these 2 and with next years seniors graduating, we would have 5 open scholarships for 2015. He would be able to really go after kids he wants and start to put his imprint on the team rather quickly. The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. There aren't very many unsigned kids left in 2014 that I think are worth going after...maybe a Josh Cunningham from Chicago, he's 6'7"" and is still unsigned as a 4 star.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2014, 12:39:59 PM »
pretty sure Harris already said he was going to VT

Death on call

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2014, 12:44:49 PM »
I think Wojo should just try to keep Cohen and Hill. Let the others go and save the schollies  for more of the players he wants in his program. If we were able to keep these 2 and with next years seniors graduating, we would have 5 open scholarships for 2015. He would be able to really go after kids he wants and start to put his imprint on the team rather quickly. The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. There aren't very many unsigned kids left in 2014 that I think are worth going after...maybe a Josh Cunningham from Chicago, he's 6'7"" and is still unsigned as a 4 star.

The problem is that he is already behind the 8-ball with this class as well.  This is part of the reason Buzz relied so heavily on JUCOs his first few years. It takes a couple years to cultivate the necessary relationships to get a solid class.

I hope that at least one of his assistants is a former head coach that might already have some irons in the fire.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2014, 12:46:11 PM »

OK. He and Buzz deserve each other and can out together.
Hope Derrick goes, but likely Buzz has not asked him. He wants guys that can play for 30 plus minutes a game.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2014, 12:49:21 PM »
pretty sure Harris already said he was going to VT

I haven't seen anything with him saying that. It could very well happen, but I haven't seen any confirmation yet.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2014, 12:53:27 PM »
I haven't seen anything with him saying that. It could very well happen, but I haven't seen any confirmation yet.
It would be helpful if he did go there. He was a verbal and we are in an awkward situation. If he truly wants to come here we don't want to start setting precedent that our word is not good. If he leaves it frees up a space we can use on someone else.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2014, 01:11:40 PM »
It would be helpful if he did go there. He was a verbal and we are in an awkward situation. If he truly wants to come here we don't want to start setting precedent that our word is not good. If he leaves it frees up a space we can use on someone else.

I don't think many would think "our word is not good" if we rescind the offer to Harris given the circumstances. Harris put himself in an awkward position with some of the issues he's had.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2014, 01:14:06 PM »

If everyone came and no one transferred, we were full for next year.  Harris needed someone to leave to make a spot for him.

If Buzz stayed that would not have been a problem because judging by the players comments, we would have had many transfers.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2014, 03:07:06 PM »
I have seen him play a handful of times, as I have seen Cohen as well. Ahmed Hill has a very good feel for the game, as does Cohen. The game seems to come more naturally to Hill in my opinion. He is a elite scorer and also sees the floor very well. I think besides shooting guard, he could also run the point if needed. He has the ability to take over games and be a true "game changer." He also seems fairly engaged playing D...at least for the high school level. I know you are being sarcastic, that's why I said my opinions. I also think Cohen is a good player, but see him more in the complimentary role. His level of weak competition makes him stand out more than he would if he played in a bigger basketball hotbed. We were fortunate to get commits from both guys, but to me Hill is far more valuable to keep on board going forward.

I don't live in Wisconsin nor in Georgia so I've never seen either Cohen or Hill play and I don't really trust highlight tapes and/or hype reports but it seems you've been able to watch both kids in person at their schools so it provides more context to their commitments.

Thanks for elaborating on their games.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2014, 03:20:23 PM »
Dude, quit trying to make 'the goods' happen

Hey Buzz, I know thats you hiding behind this screen name...... #Troll

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2014, 03:24:02 PM »
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=42843.0

this is were i saw the harris to VT thing FYI

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2014, 04:54:24 PM »
The problem is that he is already behind the 8-ball with this class as well.  This is part of the reason Buzz relied so heavily on JUCOs his first few years. It takes a couple years to cultivate the necessary relationships to get a solid class.

I hope that at least one of his assistants is a former head coach that might already have some irons in the fire.

Agree that assembling much of a 2014 class - minus the guys who may stay committed - will be difficult.
Don't think it'll be too difficult to get a solid 2015.
Crean's first class was Wade, ODB, Merritt and Sanders.
KO's first class was Mac, Key, Logterman and Brakes.
A solid 2015 class is definitely possible.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2014, 04:57:30 PM »
Agree that assembling much of a 2014 class - minus the guys who may stay committed - will be difficult.
Don't think it'll be too difficult to get a solid 2015.
Crean's first class was Wade, ODB, Merritt and Sanders.
KO's first class was Mac, Key, Logterman and Brakes.
A solid 2015 class is definitely possible.

I think at this point I would rather bank the schollies, then sign someone just for the sake of signing them. We have enough returning talent that we will be fine for next year.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2014, 08:29:30 PM »
he can already shoot better than anyone we have on the team. 

Well, of course, now that 'The Sniper' will be graduated...

Death on call

raul

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2014, 09:41:20 PM »
We sorely need an offense minded guard which Hill is. But there is something to be said of keeping a talented WI. kid coming to MU as well. That being said if push comes to shove Hill would be my choice if it came down to one or the other.