[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: College Basketball Commission issues their report. End one and done.  (Read 20509 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: College Basketball Commission issues their report. End one and done.
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2018, 04:16:34 PM »
Whether she knows more or less than Sultan is an irrelevant cheap shot (and thanks for politicizing the thread!).

1.Politicizing the thread had already been taken care of by Sultan and babybluejeans.

2.Sultan clearly insulted Rice saying she didn't know squat about the subject being addressed by the committee she was chairing. That is, plain and simple, a cheap shot. And Sultan has no way of knowing whether it's true or not. What's your best guess on why (without any basis in fact) he holds that opinion?

3.Since he unfairly and without any facts belittled Rice's knowledge on the subject, I brought up the FACT that Rice may or may not know more than him (or you or me or anyone) on the subject. Because he brought it up it's not irrelevant. It's a simple fact, not a cheap shot.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2018, 04:21:30 PM »
1.Politicizing the thread had already been taken care of by Sultan and babybluejeans.

Where did I politicize this?  Are you having reading problems again?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2018, 04:23:08 PM »

So if you think that the only reason I am coming out against this report is because of Condi, you'd be wrong.  Very wrong.  I think she is the head of a group of people who don't want to fundamentally fix the problem.  They just want to add another layer of regulation and bureaucracy to an organization that has way to much of it.

I have no objection to you disagreeing with her or the committee's conclusions. That's fair. Demonizing them with with "They don't know squat" because they disagree is what I have a problem with.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2018, 04:25:05 PM »
I have no objection to you disagreeing with her or the committee's conclusions. That's fair. Demonizing them with with "They don't know squat" because they disagree is what I have a problem with.

I'm sure Condi can handle it.

Regardless, are you still sticking with the allegation that I only said that because of politics?

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2018, 04:27:47 PM »
The NCAA has already set aside $13 million to implement these changes. That leaves about $500 after the members of the college basketball commission are paid for their services.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2018, 04:34:22 PM »

I'm sure Condi can handle it.

Regardless, are you still sticking with the allegation that I only said that because of politics?

Well, I thought I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you fail safe to assuming anyone who doesn't agree with you "doesn't know squat". To me that's more dangerous than a knee jerk political comment, though.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2018, 04:35:16 PM »

Babyblue made a joke. I don't see where Sultan said anything political.

2.Sultan clearly insulted Rice saying she didn't know squat about the subject being addressed by the committee she was chairing. That is, plain and simple, a cheap shot. And Sultan has no way of knowing whether it's true or not. What's your best guess on why (without any basis in fact) he holds that opinion?

He said he didn't think she knows about the issues facing college basketball. Is that an unreasonable opinion to have for someone who has zero background in college basketball? Of course he doesn't know whether it's true or not. That's why he stated it as an opinion.
But from now on I'm sure you'll voice your point of view only on matters you know for certain. Please don't address MU's defensive game plan until Wojo has met with you to discuss it.

3.Since he unfairly and without any facts belittled Rice's knowledge on the subject, I brought up the FACT that Rice may or may not know more than him (or you or me or anyone) on the subject. Because he brought it up it's not irrelevant. It's a simple fact, not a cheap shot.

It's not unfair, and it's not without facts. Again, it's not unreasonable to question the college basketball credentials of someone with zero college basketball experience.
Now please stop ruining the thread with your knee-jerk defense of a like-minded politician.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2018, 04:57:32 PM »
  " Again, it's not unreasonable to question the college basketball credentials of someone with zero college basketball experience."

by that measure, there are about 4-5 others on that board with questionable basketball experience.  but that is beside the point.  that's why i believe this board was formed, and rightly so, to try to recapture the true meaning of the "student-athlete".  we are losing too many good young people to a false narrative of success in sports after college.  they are wasting an opportunity to get a pretty good post high school education due to their unique athletic abilities.  that is why i don't think a prerequisite to be on this board is basketball experience
don't...don't don't don't don't

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2018, 05:04:50 PM »
  " Again, it's not unreasonable to question the college basketball credentials of someone with zero college basketball experience."

by that measure, there are about 4-5 others on that board with questionable basketball experience.
I agree.

but that is beside the point.  that's why i believe this board was formed, and rightly so, to try to recapture the true meaning of the "student-athlete".  we are losing too many good young people to a false narrative of success in sports after college.  they are wasting an opportunity to get a pretty good post high school education due to their unique athletic abilities.  that is why i don't think a prerequisite to be on this board is basketball experience

Way more non-athletes drop out of school early to pursue other avenues. Where's the concern - much less multi-million dollar study - for them?
And why the paternalistic attitudes toward college basketball players but not athletes in hockey, soccer, golf or baseball, all of whom also leave college early to pursue professional sports careers with mixed results?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 05:07:25 PM by Pakuni »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2018, 05:40:52 PM »
Why do people keep going on about amateurism here? The ncaa is about as professional as possible except for paying the players. (which would cut into profits)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2018, 05:59:23 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2018, 06:13:03 PM »
   "(and thanks for politicizing the thread!)"

you can thank your buddy smith for this
Nope, you have me confused with your closest bud Chicos.  Please don't confuse us again.  Thank you.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2018, 06:57:00 PM »
Nope, you have me confused with your closest bud Chicos.  Please don't confuse us again.  Thank you.

"Chico's needed to be sure everyone knew Rice was the Chair."

this is where it went down hill-own it!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2018, 07:06:32 PM »
"Chico's needed to be sure everyone knew Rice was the Chair."

this is where it went down hill-own it!
You’ll note I did not opine on Rice, nor did I opine on her qualifications to head the panel, nor for that matter did I opine on the recommendations.

I only noted that Chico’s so wanted us to know that Rice chaired the effort that he mentioned it twice.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2018, 07:06:48 PM »
I agree.

Way more non-athletes drop out of school early to pursue other avenues. Where's the concern - much less multi-million dollar study - for them?
And why the paternalistic attitudes toward college basketball players but not athletes in hockey, soccer, golf or baseball, all of whom also leave college early to pursue professional sports careers with mixed results?

wait...this was about a college basketball commission formed to deal with "one and done's" within NCAA basketball, right?

i'm just saying it's a noble effort and kudos to all of them for doing this.  now, if you want to help set up a committee to do the same for hockey, soccer, golf and baseball, i will stand by the same.  yes, i realize some of this is met with a wink and some skepticism, but let's not demonize the commission, the people, and the mission before any results are realized or not. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2018, 07:08:11 PM »
You’ll note I did not opine on Rice, nor did I opine on her qualifications to head the panel, nor for that matter did I opine on the recommendations.

I only noted that Chico’s so wanted us to know that Rice chaired the effort that he mentioned it twice.

you know that was about as provocative as you can get without saying...

just own it buddy-have a good one!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2018, 07:29:58 PM »
Well, I thought I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you fail safe to assuming anyone who doesn't agree with you "doesn't know squat". To me that's more dangerous than a knee jerk political comment, though.

I think anyone who is the head of a committee that authors such a tone-deaf report clearly doesn't know squat.

Is she your mother or something?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2018, 07:34:00 PM »
you know that was about as provocative as you can get without saying...

just own it buddy-have a good one!
This makes as much sense as the guy who, when getting called out as intolerant, tries to then turn it around and say intolerant to call them out for their views.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2018, 07:58:38 PM »

If memory serves, you are a pay the players guy so it doesn't surprise me that it may not touch on your priorities.

Ultimately this is a committee from various leadership areas asked to put a recommendation together.  They acknowledge one and done cannot be changed by the NCAA.  They are saying to improve college basketball, it needs to be changed.  They advised between the NCAA and USA Basketball to pressure the NBA into changes for the betterment of the game.  It is true that they cannot force that, which is why it is a recommendation.  Some of the other recommendations can be done, others are reliant on other parties and even government enforcement.

So the NCAA put together a committee that concluded that not only should players not be paid by the NCAA, but that the NBA should refuse to let players play professionally until the NCAA is done making money from them.  Truly surprising.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2018, 08:30:48 PM »
wait...this was about a college basketball commission formed to deal with "one and done's" within NCAA basketball, right?

Wrong

i'm just saying it's a noble effort and kudos to all of them for doing this.  now, if you want to help set up a committee to do the same for hockey, soccer, golf and baseball, i will stand by the same.  yes, i realize some of this is met with a wink and some skepticism, but let's not demonize the commission, the people, and the mission before any results are realized or not.

I'm simply wondering why you and others feel basketball players must be protected from making a bad decision about when to turn pro, but no there's no such hand-wringing about athletes in other sports. Any thoughts?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2018, 08:31:31 PM »

I think anyone who is the head of a committee that authors such a tone-deaf report clearly doesn't know squat.

Is she your mother or something?

Classy as always. Thanks for making my point.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2018, 08:34:48 PM »
Classy as always. Thanks for making my point.

LOL.  I'm classy with people who deserve class.  You make accusations that you can't back up then change the argument entirely.

I mean, you've been arguing so much with Chicos over the years that you've actually become him.  Congrats???

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2018, 08:48:21 PM »

LOL.  I'm classy with people who deserve class.  You make accusations that you can't back up then change the argument entirely.

I mean, you've been arguing so much with Chicos over the years that you've actually become him.  Congrats???

Total BS. No matter the topic (even the baseball thread, for godsakes) you can't wait to tell people you have no respect for them or their opinions.

Truth is I agree with your opinions more often than not (I think you're a smart guy), but that doesn't give you license to be a pr#ck.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2018, 09:16:45 PM »
Why does sultan hate successful black women?

Also, I had to drive through the booming metropolis of South Wayne this morning. Wow! You came from there?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2018, 09:24:46 PM »
Why does sultan hate successful black women?

Also, I had to drive through the booming metropolis of South Wayne this morning. Wow! You came from there?

No.