Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: College Basketball Commission issues their report. End one and done.  (Read 20691 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: College Basketball Commission issues their report. End one and done.
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 12:57:46 PM »

Is this supposed to be impressive?

Isn't Condy one of the top basketball minds in the country?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 01:05:49 PM »
Recommendations from Condoleezza Rice have not turned out well historically.

I literally laughed out loud.

Thanks for brightening my day!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 01:10:22 PM »
Let's ignore the glaring underlying issue and try to fix the amateur system that's already broken beyond repair.

It’s how people in power typically make decisions. Self-preservation before actual solutions.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2018, 01:39:41 PM »
Mixed emotions: it's definitely the right thing to do, but I'm gonna miss watching those players.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2018, 02:09:42 PM »
Here's a decent breakdown from Matt Norlander: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/commission-on-college-basketball-proposes-major-changes-to-ncaa-to-fix-the-sports-problems/

On a related note, I listened to this podcast recently with Yahoo! Sports Dan Wetzel and one of his three fixes to college hoops was particularly interesting. Basically allow drafted players to return to school, much like the way the Spurs and others stock talent overseas (i.e., Popovich thinks it would be good for you to stay and get coached by Bill Self for another year) and retain rights to players. This is how it apparently works in Hockey.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-program/dan-wetzel-1

Better yet, why not adopt the hockey rules? Allow players to be drafted out of high school, but let them maintain their college eligibility until they sign a professional contract.
This is a win for the players, who can develop at a pace of their own choosing and get an education, while also serving some long-term professional interests; and the NCAA, which will benefit by having drafted players in their ranks while not losing talented but unprepared players to NBA benches and the G League.
And, unless they're serious about making the G League a true developmental league, it benefits the NBA by allowing them to draft young players, but not be on the hook for paying them until they've had more time to develop and proven they're worth signing.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2018, 02:25:47 PM »
Profit which will be a back door for payment.

I guess this committee of experts in academia and basketball don't know what they are talking about or are just dumb.  Feel free to ignore their recommendations I guess. 

Not all of their suggestions do I agree with, but the most important principle to keep college basketball as an amateur endeavor is key for me.  There are plenty of professional options out there, the NCAA isn't here to be a professional league nor should it.  Commend the committee for that key point in my view.

Amateur endeavor?  Okay, get rid of scholarships, pay coaches like faculty and don’t take TV money. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2018, 02:34:24 PM »
Profit which will be a back door for payment.

I guess this committee of experts in academia and basketball don't know what they are talking about or are just dumb.  Feel free to ignore their recommendations I guess. 

Not all of their suggestions do I agree with, but the most important principle to keep college basketball as an amateur endeavor is key for me.  There are plenty of professional options out there, the NCAA isn't here to be a professional league nor should it.  Commend the committee for that key point in my view.

Just to be clear, you only want it to be an amateur endeavor for the teenage/young adult laborers, right?
You're not advocating for amateur coaches, athletic directors, trainers, etc. You're OK with them profiting from their efforts. Just not the kids.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 02:59:25 PM »
Chico's needed to be sure everyone knew Rice was the Chair.

we had condi speak at our dental convention in san francisco a number of years ago-absolutely apolitical-if you've ever heard her speak and knew her background, where she's come from, you would be impressed.  but i see how many of you have trouble distinguishing between condi politics and condi as a person with impressive life experiences

and if you disagree with her position on this board, you're a racist-see, we can play that game too
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2018, 03:09:29 PM »
we had condi speak at our dental convention in san francisco a number of years ago-absolutely apolitical-if you've ever heard her speak and knew her background, where she's come from, you would be impressed.  but i see how many of you have trouble distinguishing between condi politics and condi as a person with impressive life experiences

and if you disagree with her position on this board, you're a racist-see, we can play that game too

That's all fine and good.  I don't think she knows squat about the issues facing college basketball however.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 03:26:28 PM »

That's all fine and good.  I don't think she knows squat about the issues facing college basketball however.

She may not know squat about the issues facing college basketball.Or she may know a lot, quite possibly way more than you do.

But you don't like her politics and that's all that really matters.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2018, 03:29:46 PM »
She may not know squat about the issues facing college basketball.Or she may know a lot, quite possibly way more than you do.

No, I'm pretty sure what Sultan doesn't like is that she probably doesn't know a whole lot about the college basketball landscape, ya know like he did...Pretty sure he (and I) would say the same thing if Obama was head of the commission.

Here's a novel concept how about get a former player who has been a college athlete to head up the commission and fill the rest of the spots with fellow athletes and coaches who know what student athletes have been through.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 03:34:50 PM »
Just to be clear, you only want it to be an amateur endeavor for the teenage/young adult laborers, right?
You're not advocating for amateur coaches, athletic directors, trainers, etc. You're OK with them profiting from their efforts. Just not the kids.

This.

Because anybody really for amateur endeavors can't possibly want everybody getting wildly wealthy except the competitors, right?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2018, 03:38:57 PM »
Isn't Condy one of the top basketball minds in the country?

this has more to do than basketball.  this has to do, among other things, believe it or not, education of our utes

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2018, 03:39:31 PM »

BINGO! 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2018, 03:40:40 PM »

Whether she knows more or less than Sultan is an irrelevant cheap shot (and thanks for politicizing the thread!).

The question is whether a politician/academician with no background in college basketball - outside of, perhaps, being a fan - should be leading a panel purportedly created to improve college basketball.
It's a fair, apolitical question. She no doubt is an intelligent person. That does not make her well-suited to this role. My physician also is a very smart person. But I wouldn't put him in charge of rewiring my home.

More concerning to me than Rice's position, though, is the number of commission members who are well established as outspoken advocates for the status quo in college sports, i.e. Gene Smith, Mark Emmert, John Jenkins. I don't see how one can expect a serious examination of potential reforms with guys who are happy to change nothing in charge.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:49:40 PM by Pakuni »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2018, 03:41:39 PM »

i guess she didn't know "squat" about football either, but she was one of a few always mentioned in the same sentence for NFL commish as well as many other leadership roles

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2018, 03:42:41 PM »
this has more to do than basketball.  this has to do, among other things, believe it or not, education of our utes

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2018, 03:44:26 PM »
   "(and thanks for politicizing the thread!)"

you can thank your buddy smith for this

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2018, 03:50:48 PM »

so you don't think this has ANYTHING to do with giving these guys a chance at getting a better education?  come on pak-man!  you're better than that...there are so many of these guys all thinking they're NBA because that's what their parents, friends, AAU coaches, adidas reps tell them. 

it may not appear to be an attempt to emphasize education, but in all reality, looking at the people in the commision, i'm sure it is on their top 2-3

someone has to start telling them otherwise

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2018, 03:58:20 PM »

^^^ racists & sexist. Ban dis guy

#bansultan
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2018, 04:00:13 PM »

No actually I think the report is rubbish.  My thoughts on this topic have been pretty clear for awhile now - that this odd desire for amateaurism is the root of all the problems the NCAA is facing now.  That the NCAA is an overly-regulated, overly-bureaucratic organization that needs a complete re-imaging to progress into the future.

So if you think that the only reason I am coming out against this report is because of Condi, you'd be wrong.  Very wrong.  I think she is the head of a group of people who don't want to fundamentally fix the problem.  They just want to add another layer of regulation and bureaucracy to an organization that has way to much of it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2018, 04:04:07 PM »
BINGO! 

If by "BINGO!" you mean "completely inaccurate" then you are right.

But you don't and you're wrong.  Again.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2018, 04:08:02 PM »
so you don't think this has ANYTHING to do with giving these guys a chance at getting a better education?  come on pak-man!  you're better than that...there are so many of these guys all thinking they're NBA because that's what their parents, friends, AAU coaches, adidas reps tell them. 

it may not appear to be an attempt to emphasize education, but in all reality, looking at the people in the commision, i'm sure it is on their top 2-3

someone has to start telling them otherwise

Have you actually read the report? They're far more concerned with reining in the AAU circuit and agents.
I'll believe the NCAA is serious about education when it stops scheduling football games on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2018, 04:09:09 PM »
^^^ racists & sexist. Ban dis guy

#bansultan

Look who's back

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2018, 04:12:23 PM »
Have you actually read the report? They're far more concerned with reining in the AAU circuit and agents.
I'll believe the NCAA is serious about education when it stops scheduling football games on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights.

I mean, the idea that the NCAA is now going to run these tournament is foolhardy.  Do they realize the size and scope of what they are talking about?  I mean, there are a ton of these things going on all over the place, and most of them are just fine. 

JB and others would know more than I do, but I just can't believe the NCAA is going to be able to pull this off.