[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Draft  (Read 14647 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: NBA Draft
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2020, 11:59:13 AM »
Supermaxing Giannis is the easiest move in franchise history.  Hell, he's going to get ANOTHER monster deal after this one.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2020, 12:00:47 PM »
Also, the CBA is going to change, and if the one and done rule is eliminated, it makes future draft picks more valuable. The financial ramifications of the salary cap structure are too unknown right now due to Covid (there’s a scenario where signing Holiday to an extension now helps the Bucks down the road).

It’s a really interesting trade, I personally don’t like it from a Bucks standpoint, but no question they are a legit title contender again in ‘21. In the end it’s about winning a title.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2020, 12:17:24 PM »
Also, the CBA is going to change, and if the one and done rule is eliminated, it makes future draft picks more valuable

Why?
To me, it seems that if anything, it's going to create more draft misses.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2020, 12:29:08 PM »
Why?
To me, it seems that if anything, it's going to create more draft misses.

I don’t disagree with you on the misses, but if high school players were eligible this draft, high schoolers would be at worst the top 4 picks this year easily. More supply = higher demand.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2020, 12:33:54 PM »
Back up C too.

If they want a rim protector and decent rebounder with a limited offensive game, as well as a very good team guy, they could do a lot worse than Biyombo. On the open market. Probably pretty cheap.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2020, 12:37:13 PM »
I don’t disagree with you on the misses, but if high school players were eligible this draft, high schoolers would be at worst the top 4 picks this year easily. More supply = higher demand.

I get what you're saying but isn't that just a one-time shift forward of talent redounding to a single draft? After that initial change it's still the same yearly pools more or less, with more variance on outcomes based on worse evaluation comps (I'm in favor of letting players declare out of high school regardless).

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2020, 12:39:46 PM »

If I have the math right, the Bucks are still about $17M under the $138M hard cap they will have this year.

They are going to need a back up PG with both Hill and Dante gone.  Jeff Teague?  Brandin Knight?  Back up C too.

I know a guy that would come cheap, is familiar with the Fiserv, and could can open threes off the spacing & gravity Giannis creates...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2020, 12:39:49 PM »

But wouldn't that added supply last for just one year? The draft pool would have an additional class in it for the first year high schools are eligible (let's say 2022). But those same high schoolers won't be the one-and-dones of 2023. There are a finite number of kids who will qualify for either group. If there are 10 high school-to-pro kids in the 2022 Draft, that's 10 fewer potential one-and-dones in 2023.
Not trying to be argumentative, but what am I missing?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2020, 12:40:23 PM »
Bucks could probably do worse than adding Jamil Wilson.

I love this idea

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2020, 12:41:05 PM »
I know a guy that would come cheap, is familiar with the Fiserv, and could can open threes off the spacing & gravity Giannis creates...

I actually think that might be a possibility. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2020, 12:48:24 PM »

If I have the math right, the Bucks are still about $17M under the $138M hard cap they will have this year.

They are going to need a back up PG with both Hill and Dante gone.  Jeff Teague?  Brandin Knight?  Back up C too.

Could just ask Larry Sanders to earn the salary they're still paying him, eh?

I think you watch the old Bud connections, which include Teague (Bucks were in on him a couple contracts ago too) and Millsap. It won't happen, but I would LOVE to see the Bucks chase Dragic with a multi-year deal under the MLE. I read the Heat are offering him a one year 15M deal, but he could make more in total with a multi-year. He is also comfortable off the bench.

I think there is an outside chance the Bucks get Wes back for a bit more per year and multiple years. And if I were fashioning my ideal lineup, it still has Wes starting at the 2 with Bogdonovic as your heater off the bench. I think we underestimate what Wes' defense did for Middleton's offense.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 12:49:56 PM by GB Warrior »

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2020, 12:51:55 PM »
They're paying Jon Leuer twice as much as they are paying Sanders. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2020, 12:55:02 PM »
But wouldn't that added supply last for just one year? The draft pool would have an additional class in it for the first year high schools are eligible (let's say 2022). But those same high schoolers won't be the one-and-dones of 2023. There are a finite number of kids who will qualify for either group. If there are 10 high school-to-pro kids in the 2022 Draft, that's 10 fewer potential one-and-dones in 2023.

Yeah, I think where I was coming from is more kids will take chances in coming out early to add to the top of the draft pool. But you are absolutely right, the net net is those kids are in the draft pool at some point. In my head, I think it made sense, but yes, you are absolutely correct.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2020, 01:59:35 PM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2020, 02:50:50 PM »
Everyone knew the Bucks had to make a move, so they were going to make them pay.

And by the time the bad part of the trade comes back to haunt the franchise, Horst will be President of the Knicks or something like that.

Everything is irrelevant if they don't sign GA. So, if they do, then those 1st round picks are fairly unimportant as they will all be in the 25-30 range.

There was almost zero chance the Bucks could ever win a title with the backcourt that they had the last couple years. I think these moves make them the favorite to win the East next year. I also think it makes Markus Howard a strong possibility to stay in Milwaukee. Late 2nd round will be used on the best 3 point shooter available.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2020, 05:06:00 PM »
Wouldn’t be surprised to see them take Tyshon Alexander at 42.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2020, 05:14:19 PM »

Diener? Markus? Novak? Rowsey?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2020, 05:19:41 PM »
Bring Sam Dekkker home
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2020, 06:09:52 PM »
Hmmm...

Jake @jakeweingarten
The Bucks acquired two second-round selections from the Pelicans.
One source told @stockrisers that Marquette’s Markus Howard is one of the prospects they’re interested in.
Can the Bucks snag him in the second-round and keep him close to his alma mater?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2020, 06:38:40 PM »
Wouldn’t be surprised to see them take Tyshon Alexander at 42.

I would be absolutely stunned if they took Tyshon at 42 or at 60.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2020, 08:08:37 PM »
Hmmm...

Jake @jakeweingarten
The Bucks acquired two second-round selections from the Pelicans.
One source told @stockrisers that Marquette’s Markus Howard is one of the prospects they’re interested in.
Can the Bucks snag him in the second-round and keep him close to his alma mater?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2020, 09:44:43 AM »

The NBA scaled back to 2 rounds in 1989.  At the time the NBA had 3-4 foreign players, now they have 100+.  You could argue that draft picks are less valuable bc more supply equals greater chance of finding talent in free agency.  Does Wesley go undrafted in 1986?   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2020, 04:28:27 PM »
Sixers managed to dump Al Horford's very bad contract ($81 million over next three seasons) on OKC, but it cost them a first and a second to do it.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2020, 04:58:44 PM »
Sixers managed to dump Al Horford's very bad contract ($81 million over next three seasons) on OKC, but it cost them a first and a second to do it.

Is this part of trusting The Process?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2020, 05:25:07 PM »
Is this part of trusting The Process?

The process was fired four years ago.

feedback