collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Daylight Savings Time  (Read 3163 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Daylight Savings Time
« on: March 15, 2021, 09:27:28 AM »
Is stupid. Does anyone actually enjoy losing an hour? It's cool when you're young for an extra hour of bar time once a year that's it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
Re: Daylight Savings Time
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 09:36:46 AM »
Love it.   Baseball practice can go later.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 09:46:04 AM »
I feel like a politician could runaway with victory strictly running on getting rid of changing the hours and making the Monday after the Super Bowl a federal holiday.

What is the point of Daylights Savings time now? Was it originally farming related?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 09:48:27 AM »
I feel like a politician could runaway with victory strictly running on getting rid of changing the hours and making the Monday after the Super Bowl a federal holiday.

What is the point of Daylights Savings time now? Was it originally farming related?

Apparently modern Daylight savings time was not actively related to farmers and instead was a fuel saving measure the Germans implemented in WW1 additionally there's a 1% energy increase across the board due to it so that's a lobby fighting it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 09:49:42 AM »
Saving fuel during WW1.   Reinvigorated during the fuel embargo of the 70s.   Manipulating the work and school days for maximum daylight, allowing lights to be used less.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 09:52:10 AM »
Saving fuel during WW1.   Reinvigorated during the fuel embargo of the 70s.   Manipulating the work and school days for maximum daylight, allowing lights to be used less.

It made sense back when the majority of Americans were outside for work but now I'd much rather get home with some daylight to grill or workout.

Plus there's the increase in car accidents the week after both of them
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 10:02:10 AM »
I guess I am lucky.  My internal clock, sleep patterns, etc, are unaffected.  For me, no different than spending a weekend in Chicago/Milwaukee.   It is an hour.   Go to bed a little early and be done.

bucksandy34

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 10:12:24 AM »
It made sense back when the majority of Americans were outside for work but now I'd much rather get home with some daylight to grill or workout.

That's what we get with DST. If we stayed on Standard Time, the sun would be coming up at an earlier hour and setting at an earlier hour in the summer months.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 10:17:14 AM »
If we didn't have DST, the sun would rise in late June in Milwaukee at about 4:15 in the morning. 

If we went to permanent DST, the sun would rise at about 9:15 in Grand Rapids in late December.

Neither of these seem ideal to me - which is why we have our current system.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 10:26:36 AM »
I love Fall Backwards .. an extra hour on a Sunday in Fall is delicious.

As for Spring Forward, I tried ignoring it until today.  I had a full 24 hour Sunday.  My Monday will be short and that's a good thing.

This article is great, great maps .. we should be on DST permanently.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2015/11/19/9762276/daylight-saving-time-bad-mapped

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 10:33:47 AM »
DST is the attempt to split the difference on sunrise/sunset in conjunction with the working world hours, and the time schools start.

There is a discussion out east to make DST permanent, as it's preferred over normal time as we're only in normal time for 4 months to begin with.
States would move to Atlantic Time but if and only if multiple number of states approve the same.

It's a wasted discussion, as I don't think it's it's even possible as Congress controls weights and measures, etc.  Congress would have to pass.

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 10:39:32 AM »

As for Spring Forward, I tried ignoring it until today.  I had a full 24 hour Sunday.  My Monday will be short and that's a good thing.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2015/11/19/9762276/daylight-saving-time-bad-mapped

I don't think the sun rising before 5:00 AM is "reasonable."  It's a waste of daylight that is better used in the evening.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 10:39:35 AM »

Interesting maps. They illustrate that it is often dark here when I get up on the morning. Over the last couple weeks, it had finally gotten to the point where it was fairly light in the morning. And then there was today...  It's always hard to wake up on the first day of DST.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 11:46:07 AM »

On Veep, Jonah Ryan's main presidential campaign issue was the elimination of DST.

http://veepism.com/veep-quote.php?id=565

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyWr7XRiyVM
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 01:24:00 PM »
I have always felt like DST was a solution looking for a problem.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 01:35:37 PM »

I don't think the sun rising before 5:00 AM is "reasonable."  It's a waste of daylight that is better used in the evening.

You might have read that wrong .. it was sun rising at 7am, sun setting at 5pm = reasonable.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 01:48:03 PM »
You might have read that wrong .. it was sun rising at 7am, sun setting at 5pm = reasonable.

No I read it right.  It said that any sunrise before 7:00 is "reasonable."  I don't think the sun rising at 4:15 AM, which it would do in Milwaukee in late June with no DST, is "reasonable."  It's too damn early.

Furthermore, I think the sun should set long after 7:35 in summer - and that would be the latest sunset time in summer in Milwaukee with no DST.

I get that people hate moving their clocks.  But when you are far east in a time zone, standard time sucks in summer.  When you are far west in a time zone, daylight savings would suck in the winter.  It seems like a reasonable compromise.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 02:14:00 PM »

No I read it right.  It said that any sunrise before 7:00 is "reasonable."  I don't think the sun rising at 4:15 AM, which it would do in Milwaukee in late June with no DST, is "reasonable."  It's too damn early.

Furthermore, I think the sun should set long after 7:35 in summer - and that would be the latest sunset time in summer in Milwaukee with no DST.

I get that people hate moving their clocks.  But when you are far east in a time zone, standard time sucks in summer.  When you are far west in a time zone, daylight savings would suck in the winter.  It seems like a reasonable compromise.

In Milwaukee, without DST, you would have a sunrise rise prior to 5 a.m. from April 21 - August 17. Unless you're a farmer, fisherman or golfer, really a waste of daylight in today's society.

I think there's a stronger argument to make DST permanent than to remove it all together. But, I agree with you, the current system works fairly well.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 03:17:48 PM »

If any sunrise before 7:00 is unreasonable, then you should agree that DST doesn't actually fix the "problem."

No half measures
- Mike Ehrmantraut

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 05:26:59 PM »
Heard a report on the radio that the proper terminology is Daylight Saving Time. No plurals.

Now you can take that knowledge and act intellectually superior to everyone you come across (like Panda and Silent Verbal).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 06:21:45 PM by Jables1604 »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 07:25:36 PM »
Heard a report on the radio that the proper terminology is Daylight Saving Time. No plurals.

Now you can take that knowledge and act intellectually superior to everyone you come across (like Panda and Silent Verbal).

Yet you’re the one calling out people who haven’t even posted in the topic  ::)

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2021, 08:06:51 PM »
Yet you’re the one calling out people who haven’t even posted in the topic  ::)
Their respective bodies of work speak for themselves.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2021, 08:31:15 PM »
Keep it the way it is.  I can't stand it when the sun comes up at 515am in the summer.

People complaining about 1 hour change... my God.  Get on an airplane.  Acting like one hour is jet lag... sheesh.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2021, 09:52:26 PM »
Keep it the way it is.  I can't stand it when the sun comes up at 515am in the summer.

People complaining about 1 hour change... my God.  Get on an airplane.  Acting like one hour is jet lag... sheesh.

I’ve always found complaints about an hour hilarious. I had friends that came to Chicago from Cleveland complain they were tired. My GF would act like she flew across the world when coming from NYC. Im biased cause I travel so much that I can compare the nuance of jet lag going to Asia depending on the route or direction, but even before that, I remember not being affected much going to the West Coast. And adjusted going to Europe within a day. 

When you’re going out in your 20s, you change up your sleep schedule every weekend. You build up some immunity
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 10:18:37 PM by JWags85 »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2021, 10:10:22 PM »
Their respective bodies of work speak for themselves.

You seem like a miserable person. Need a hug?

feedback