'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who is MU's "Most Famous" Alum?  (Read 17435 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Who is MU's "Most Famous" Alum?
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2012, 08:27:40 PM »
Webster says: a person who has attended or has graduated from a particular school, college, or university

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2012, 08:30:59 PM »
D. Wade. End of discussion.
Wade makes sense to people on this board, people in Miami-Dade and Lexington, KY.  If you're not into basketball, though, he's just another guy who went to Marquette.  Oh wait.  My Dad (MU Grad) asked me about Wade when Wade's messy divorce was on the nightly news a few moons ago.  So there is some added exposure.  But it's nearsighted to think the current > past notables.

Now, I wasn't alive for McCarthy.  But i'm led to believe that is someone everyone looked over their shoulder for.  

MUSig54

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2012, 09:28:02 PM »
And that detracts from Wade how? Good on you for watching the news I guess.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2012, 09:37:08 PM »
Nothing detracts from Wade.  But Wade is only as popular as your interest in basketball allows.   He doesn't transcend the sport... except when on the news for baby mama troubles.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2012, 10:44:25 PM »
Nothing detracts from Wade.  But Wade is only as popular as your interest in basketball allows.   He doesn't transcend the sport... except when on the news for baby mama troubles.

Quite honestly...you're living in a sad bubble if you believe that.  Here's a couple examples where a few non-basketball fans might have "seen" him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2012, 10:44:56 PM »
For some reason, I thought I had read that Wade went back and got his degree. (Not that it matters for his life, but just for discussion here.) I know Farley graduated. And I know Walker didn't.

I also know that most dictionary definitions say one only must be a former student to be considered an alum. In my esteemed view, however, there somehow is a difference between a guy who went to a school for one semester and one who got his/her degree.

And what could possibly be more authoritative than my esteemed view? After all, I have a Marquette degree!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2012, 06:18:21 AM »
For some reason, I thought I had read that Wade went back and got his degree. (Not that it matters for his life, but just for discussion here.) I know Farley graduated. And I know Walker didn't.

I also know that most dictionary definitions say one only must be a former student to be considered an alum. In my esteemed view, however, there somehow is a difference between a guy who went to a school for one semester and one who got his/her degree.

And what could possibly be more authoritative than my esteemed view? After all, I have a Marquette degree!
Tom Snyder did not graduate either.  Your definition is definitely different than what the actual definition of Alumni. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2012, 06:44:43 AM »
his lack of a degree will likely cap him at VPOTUS or a Cabinet position.

I'm pretty sure he is capped at being a 1/2 term Governor of Wisconsin.  The man is toxic right now.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2012, 08:41:04 AM »
Reminder .. no politics.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2012, 08:58:59 AM »
Reminder .. no politics.

YEAH! Stop mentioning McCarthy!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2012, 09:20:48 AM »
Quite honestly...you're living in a sad bubble if you believe that.  Here's a couple examples where a few non-basketball fans might have "seen" him.

Yep, D. Wade is a very stylish guy...and as such, he should do his buddy LeBron a favor and tell him the Amish beard is not working for him.  He apparently wasted the opportunity last night to tell Joakim Noah to lose the Man Bun.

Have some patience, FFS.