[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

New 2024 Committment According to Ben Steele: Joshua Clark by tower912
[May 12, 2024, 08:23:11 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 12, 2024, 03:17:45 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by We R Final Four
[May 12, 2024, 12:18:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: When our current newcomers verballed to MU  (Read 12685 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: When our current newcomers verballed to MU
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 07:11:56 AM »
I heartily disagree. I think Tom Crean fully intended to leave MU from the moment he signed his first contract. How you say, steppingstone?

Fine.  Who cares?  It was a mutually beneficial relationship while it lasted.  Can we move on now???

I don't view as the job I have now as my final one either.  Am I a bad person because of that??

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 09:03:04 AM »

I don't even know what this means.  All I was doing is pointing out that we have plenty of time before our freshman class for 2011 is settled so people should stop panicking.

It means that recruiting to the 2010 class was much different then recruiting to the 2011 class. Different priorities. Different strategies. Different obstacles to overcome. Considering almost everything is different between 2010 and 2011 the commit dates from last year have no bearing on what is taking place this year (nor will 2011's commit dates have any bearing on 2012, etc.).

As we've learned quite a bit in his first two years, the Freshman class is rarely ever set once the recruiting windows close. There will be changes in June, July, and August. As a result, I don't think anyone "panics" about finding recruits -- they will show up eventually.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 09:16:25 AM »
Jamail Jones:  August 2009
Vander Blue:  October 2009
Reggie Smith:  November 2009
Jae Crowder:  February 2010
Davante Gardner:  May 2010

So at this time last year, we had one signee.  (Aaron Bowen verballed in November 2008, but backed out in September 2009.)  Since we only have three scholies to fill, we have plenty of time to fill our slots.
So we all can relax, it's only September.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

TJ

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 09:21:33 AM »
So we all can relax, it's only September.
See you in two days...

OMG IT'S OCTOBER AND WE HAVE NO RECRUITS!!!1!!%!

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 10:57:15 AM »
It means that recruiting to the 2010 class was much different then recruiting to the 2011 class. Different priorities. Different strategies. Different obstacles to overcome. Considering almost everything is different between 2010 and 2011 the commit dates from last year have no bearing on what is taking place this year (nor will 2011's commit dates have any bearing on 2012, etc.).

As we've learned quite a bit in his first two years, the Freshman class is rarely ever set once the recruiting windows close. There will be changes in June, July, and August. As a result, I don't think anyone "panics" about finding recruits -- they will show up eventually.

Instead of just dismissing offhand some good research by Sultan, would you care to explain what is so "different" about this year's class? I don't mean to argue that this year's situation is exactly the same as last year's, but overall kids commit at generally the same time--i.e. about half the top kids are verballed by the end of the spring spring period, the rest wait until fall, while a few late-bloomers don't sign until spring their senior year. And as Sultan and RJax55 showed, the vast majority of our high school recruits under Buzz have verballed about this time of year.

Last year what were our needs and targets? primarily, size inside and lengthy wing players. What are our needs/targets this year? size inside and lengthy wing players. In both classes, Buzz could offer a lot of time to incoming bigmen. I don't really see how our priorities are any different. Other than a slightly more established guard rotation this on this year's team, what is so different?

Just saying "everything is different" isn't really saying anything at all.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »

On the last point I agree...and that was my point.  People on this board are clearly concerned that we have no verbals.  However, that is in line with what has happened here previously, and happens at other schools regularly.  I think some scoopers see that Madison has already wrapped up their class and start to worry...without understanding that Bo always does this...and it isn't really normal.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 11:11:06 AM »
Some of you people need to have a little more faith in the process. 

Plus, Buzz is going to eventually have a down recruiting year.  Name a head coach that went his entire career at D-I majors with nothing less than a top 15 class every year.

I'm sure Buzz & Co aren't just sitting at home watching football highlights all week.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »
New rule: Do not mention the word "Crean," in any and all variations and forms, if you want the thread to stay on-topic.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 11:33:18 AM »
See you in two days...

OMG IT'S OCTOBER AND WE HAVE NO RECRUITS!!!1!!%!
Wait untill the end of October.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 12:31:05 PM »
I think Tom Crean is about to get bolted himself. Paybacks are a bitch.

I'm a big fan of irony.   ;D
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 01:19:15 PM »
How you say, steppingstone?

Ask Kevin O'Neill....he has the definition down pat.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2010, 01:20:19 PM »
Buzz will be fine, he'll sign a good class this year.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2010, 01:54:30 PM »

I think some scoopers see that Madison has already wrapped up their class and start to worry...without understanding that Bo always does this...and it isn't really normal.

High risk, high reward.  Bo's gig is pretty sweet when you think about it.  Instead of working his way down from the top of the Recruit List, he starts near the middle. He gets on guys early who have relatively few big schools on them by the time Bo shows up in their living room.  these guys would be great gets for schools that had missed on a guy or two during the first couple stages, but Bo has already gotten 3 of them by that point.  One of the benefits of his system - a lot less turbulent recruiting process.  And it all plays right into his fanbase who can cite the stability as a benefit of the program. 

feedback