Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who Does UNC Play In Wisconsin  (Read 4033 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Who Does UNC Play In Wisconsin
« on: March 04, 2011, 07:10:06 AM »
Duke and UNC typical schedule a game in the area of their recruits.  For Example Duke Senior Kyle Singler is from Medford Oregon and this past November Duke Played Oregon in the Rose Garden in Portland (home of the Trailblazers).

So, will UNC schedule a November/December game in Milwaukee when Tokoto is a junior or senior?

MU
UWM
UW in the BC
UWGB in the BC

Thoughts?

groove

Re: Who Does UNC Play In Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 07:19:51 AM »
cardinal stritch

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 07:22:10 AM »
Does UNC request a return game at Chapel Hill or is it a one time away deal?

If not, I say UW, but they would request the Kohl Center.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 07:24:26 AM »
My guess is they do not request a return game as they are doing it as a favor for Tokoto

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 08:21:13 AM »
I think Duke does this more often than UNC.  I'd be cool with MU vs. UNC at the United Center.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 08:21:49 AM »
No way will they go to UW @ Madison because of the bad blood.

This past December, they went to Evansville for Zeller so they are not opposed to going to a small school like UWGB or UWM.  

Would Buzz/MU take a one game home game and would UNC be willing to go play a program like ours in Milw.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:23:17 AM »
I think Duke does this more often than UNC.  I'd be cool with MU vs. UNC at the United Center.

Tokoto is not from Chicago.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 08:24:50 AM »
No way will they go to UW @ Madison because of the bad blood.

This past December, they went to Evansville for Zeller so they are not opposed to going to a small school like UWGB or UWM. 

Would Buzz/MU take a one game home game and would UNC be willing to go play a program like ours in Milw.

Hell, I'd do a home and home with UNC. 

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 08:31:12 AM »
Seriously? and Singler isn't from Portland.  Menomonee Falls to Chicago is less than half the distance than from Medford, OR to Portland.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 08:36:31 AM »
Thanksgiving weekend ... MU v UNC in Miller Park (roof closed).

Can Miller do this?  Because if they can, than they can submit to host the NCAA finals.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 08:42:51 AM »

Can Miller do this?  Because if they can, than they can submit to host the NCAA finals.

That would be awesome. If they could do that, I think they'd be better off trying to put together a non-con tournament, though that wouldn't guarantee Tokoto playing against a hometown team. But if UNC did come a-calling, I'd take a home and home in a heartbeat.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 08:50:09 AM »

For what it's worth, Tokoto said when asked what his hometown is, he says Rockford, IL.

"Although Tokoto lives in Menomonee Falls and has played his entire high school basketball career there, he is originally from Rockford, Ill. He moved to Wisconsin at age 10.

'Rockford will always be my home town,' he said. 'When people ask me where I'm from, I usually say 'Rockford, Illinois.' I say I live in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin. I'm never going to forget where I came from and where I was born.'"

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/03/04/11/JP-Tokoto-says-committing-to-UNC-a-no-br/landing_badgers.html?blockID=432950&feedID=5068

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 08:52:07 AM »

Why would we want to lose home court and do this?  By opening it up to Miller Park, you're inviting the prospect of basically a huge UNC or apathetic crowd.

UNC owes us a return game in my book anyway.  They ducked out of our deal with them in Crean's 2nd year if I recall...maybe third year.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 08:54:20 AM »
UNC won't play anywhere near WI.

It would be a PR disaster, just like last night.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 09:07:24 AM »
Although recruiting is a good side effect, I believe the reason that Duke plays those games is because that was a way for Coach K to say 'thank you' to his seniors for playing for him (all four years). He gives them the opportunity to play in front of their 'home town'. At least that is what I heard about the medford/portland (you all can discuss proximity) game.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 09:14:39 AM »

I don't think so. If they play at the Kohl Center, I'd agree. But I think if you played the game at the BC, you'd get a heavily pro-Marquette (65-70%) crowd with a strong (maybe 20-25%) UNC minority. Maybe a few (5% or less) UW troll boo-birds and a few MF people (again 5% or less) there to see their boy one more time. Is anyone from Marquette feeling bitter that we didn't land JPT? I haven't seen anything here at all similar to what is currently going on the Badger boards.

Personally, I think the difference is Buzz. They feel like JPT was their only real shot at a big-time player. They get their top-100 kids, they get solid recruits, and Bo does a helluva job with them, but they feel they need an athletic wing to put them over the top. We look at JP and say "too bad, but we've got Wilson, Jones, Anderson, and Ferguson all coming down the pipeline". They don't have a single kid like that. They're over there trying to convince themselves that Sam Dekker is a better prospect than Tokoto simply because they don't have anyone else to fall back on. But with Buzz, that's not a worry here. For all his deficiencies, you certainly can't fault Buzz's ability to recruit the athletic wing.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 09:21:51 AM »

They played in Michigan last year.  I would say that's somewhere near WI.

And don't forget the Big 10 - ACC "Challenge to see who's better than the other at not being as good as the Big East"... you could very well see UNC at the Kohl Center next year.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu1977

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 10:02:07 AM »
"Personally, I think the difference is Buzz. They feel like JPT was their only real shot at a big-time player. They get their top-100 kids, they get solid recruits, and Bo does a helluva job with them, but they feel they need an athletic wing to put them over the top."

Very frustrating that the Badgers have been a much better program than us over the past 15 years with the less athletic teams.  I'm wondering if our collection of "athletic wings" is not the way to go.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 10:15:44 AM »
"Personally, I think the difference is Buzz. They feel like JPT was their only real shot at a big-time player. They get their top-100 kids, they get solid recruits, and Bo does a helluva job with them, but they feel they need an athletic wing to put them over the top."

Very frustrating that the Badgers have been a much better program than us over the past 15 years with the less athletic teams.  I'm wondering if our collection of "athletic wings" is not the way to go.

Bo's done an excellent job of maintaining a system and finding the right players to plug into it.
That said, it's silly to think that MU, or anyone else, needs to mimic what he's done in order to succeed. I'd suggest there's a lot more programs out there that win by recruiting the best athletes available than by recruiting for a system. It's a credit to Bo that he's been able to succeed at a high level running his program the way he does, but he's much more the exception than the rule.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 10:20:33 AM »
I think Duke does this more often than UNC.  I'd be cool with MU vs. UNC at the United Center.

Actually, no...when Duke does this they ALWAYS schedule on a neutral floor.....UNC will play on the other team's home court as long as the venue is big enough....they'd have no problem playing MU but UWM's home floor is too small. Don't get me wrong they've played in small venues like College of Charleston but that was just Roy trying to help Cremins build his program there.

UNC also schedules home and homes on somewhat neutral sites...they played Texas at Cowboy Stadium last year and then again this year in the Greensboro Coliseum. The "thank you" games for out of state recruited players that Roy always schedules are usually as close to the home town as possible and in the biggest venue available....but unlike K, Roy doesn't duck playing a true road game.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:27:45 AM by texaswarrior74 »

GoPanthers33

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 10:25:59 AM »

A few years back Miller Park was in line to be a potential host of the final four.

Unfortunately they decided that the Milwaukee area does not have enough Hotels to accommodate a final four.  :-\

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 10:29:56 AM »
Hell, I'd do a home and home with UNC. 

We played a home and home with UNC in '86 (Mecca) and '87 (UNC) because Dean Smith scheduled those games because of some guy named Joe Wolf.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 10:33:27 AM »
We played a home and home with UNC in '86 (Mecca) and '87 (UNC) because Dean Smith scheduled those games because of some guy named Joe Wolf.

... and we had a coach named Dukiet

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 10:34:27 AM »
Bo's done an excellent job of maintaining a system and finding the right players to plug into it.
That said, it's silly to think that MU, or anyone else, needs to mimic what he's done in order to succeed. I'd suggest there's a lot more programs out there that win by recruiting the best athletes available than by recruiting for a system. It's a credit to Bo that he's been able to succeed at a high level running his program the way he does, but he's much more the exception than the rule.

Were either of last year's final two teams (Duke and Butler) substantially more "athletic" than this year's Wisconsin team?  I don't think so.  You can win with Bo's system, and this year's team is a match-up nightmare.  The only problem I think they have is their depth at guard.  But their front-line is big, skilled and all seniors.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 10:34:45 AM »
I believe Majerus was the coach for the game at MECCA.