Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who Does UNC Play In Wisconsin  (Read 4055 times)

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
Re: Who Does UNC Play In Wisconsin
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 10:47:14 AM »
... and we had a coach named Dukiet

Dukiet was not the coach when the games were scheduled nor was the coach for the 2 point loss to #1 UNC at the MECCA.....Dukiet inherited the schedule his first year as coach, road game at UNC.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 10:55:15 AM »

Were either of last year's final two teams (Duke and Butler) substantially more "athletic" than this year's Wisconsin team?  I don't think so.  You can win with Bo's system, and this year's team is a match-up nightmare.  The only problem I think they have is their depth at guard.  But their front-line is big, skilled and all seniors.

Yes, last year's Duke team was substantially more athletic than this year's Wisconsin team. Only Taylor and, perhaps Nankivil, would match up athletically with their counterparts (although Plumlee actually started more games than Zoubek last year, and he is definitely more of an athlete than Nankivil). Singler is way more athletic than Breusewitz. Nolan Smith is way, way more athletic than Gasser. And as good a player as Leuer is, athletically speaking he doesn't match up to Lance Thomas. the respctive benches? Not even close.

Butler was a bit of fluke team that rode one really hot player (who is more athletic than any current Badger) to the finals. How would this year's UW team match up, athletically, to any other Final Four team of the past decade? Or, better yet, how many Final Four teams of the past decade have relied more on a system than the athletic gifts of its players?

Yes, you can win with Bo's system. Especially in the regular season. He's yet it can consistently match up with high-quality, athletic teams in the postseason.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 11:19:04 AM »
Actually, no...when Duke does this they ALWAYS schedule on a neutral floor.....UNC will play on the other team's home court as long as the venue is big enough....they'd have no problem playing MU but UWM's home floor is too small. Don't get me wrong they've played in small venues like College of Charleston but that was just Roy trying to help Cremins build his program there.

UNC also schedules home and homes on somewhat neutral sites...they played Texas at Cowboy Stadium last year and then again this year in the Greensboro Coliseum. The "thank you" games for out of state recruited players that Roy always schedules are usually as close to the home town as possible and in the biggest venue available....but unlike K, Roy doesn't duck playing a true road game.

Not sure your comment about UWM's court being too small is correct.

2007-08: UNC played @UPenn at the Palestra (cap. 8700). 
2008-09: UNC played @UCSB at the Thunderdome (cap 6000)
Current capacity of UWM's home (UC Cellular arena) listed at 10,783.

Where it comes down for me is against which opponent does UNC feel they have the best shot at winning?  I think there is a reason why that 2007-08 game was scheduled against Penn and not Villanova or Temple. 

I think UNC plays at UWM. 

--First, the chances of beating UWM will be significantly better than beating MU.
--Second, MU will fill the house with a mostly hostile audience.  UWM won't.  They couldn't fill the place for MU--their supposed rival.
--Third, UWM will agree to a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 return, helping UNC on their scheduling over the next few years.  At best MU would agree to a home-and-home.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 12:17:01 PM »
'Rockford will always be my home town,' he said. 'When people ask me where I'm from, I usually say 'Rockford, Illinois.' I say I live in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin. I'm never going to forget where I came from and where I was born.'"

I have said that same phrase.  I have lived in WI since my junior year at Marquette 20 years ago, but if someone asks my hometown, I say I am from Rockford, IL, but live in WI.  Not sure why.  I always forget Tokoto is from Rockford originally.  Too bad he did track me down and ask about MU.

Okay, I am quite sure none of you care... back to the topic...

feedback