[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Jay Bee
[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MBOA MIGHT BE LEAVING THE PROGRAM  (Read 33358 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: MBOA MIGHT BE LEAVING THE PROGRAM
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 03:45:15 PM »
The biggest problem with the whole situation (not just Mbao, but creaning in general) is that the player is punished and has to sit out a year for something that he could have had no say in.  If athletic scholarships are indeed 1 year renewable scholarships, then there really needs to be a distinction made between players decision to transfer (sit out a year) and scholarship not renewed (free transfer).

So if this were to happen, is it still Creaning or does it become Buzzing?  Or can we all grow up and accept that fact that this happens everywhere and happened long before Crean or Buzz came on campus at Marquette.

For the K.O. lovers, you guys should have seen what he did to John Leurck and a few other players.

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 03:46:20 PM »
Mbao needs time, a lot of time to develop.  A true redshirt season would be the best thing for his development.  That happens naturely if a transfer is in his future.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 04:50:05 PM »
Mbao needs time, a lot of time to develop.  A true redshirt season would be the best thing for his development.  That happens naturely if a transfer is in his future.
Agreed.  Yous needs a lot of time not only to develop hais skills and body.  equally important is that he simply needs to learn how basketball is played.  His lack of knowledge was painfully obvious when the coaches pointed out where he should stand guarding an inbounds play.  He definitely needs a redhirt season and then continue to progress and hopefully contribute solidly as a redshirt junior/senior in his 4th and 5th seasons. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 06:10:06 PM »
Mbao is gonna get Markolf-ed?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 06:14:44 PM »
Agreed.  Yous needs a lot of time not only to develop hais skills and body.  equally important is that he simply needs to learn how basketball is played.  His lack of knowledge was painfully obvious when the coaches pointed out where he should stand guarding an inbounds play.  He definitely needs a redhirt season and then continue to progress and hopefully contribute solidly as a redshirt junior/senior in his 4th and 5th seasons. 

Is it worth tying up a scholarship for another year so Mbao can be redshirted?   Does he have that much of an upside?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2010, 06:16:46 PM »
Yeah, that Liam and his heart issue. What a bust. Buzz should have called three cardiologists before signing him.

How bout we think before we post?

I am thinking right now. I thought
 this board is for opinions and dialogue and not slams. But you have the right to insult. By the way, since you missed the point of the post that we are not connecting on big men, maybe you did not engage the old brain before posting. Just asking. But I am sure that your IQ is superior.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2010, 06:24:43 PM »

Hope it works out well for the young man if he leaves, but I'd say the landing of "stud" big men hasn't gotten any better under Buzz so far.  Hopefully that will change, but as has always been stated, bigs are hard to find and you can't just go down to the local high school and pick them up.

What has gotten better under Buzz is our ability to string together back to back nationally rated recruiting classes.  And, lets not be too premature to jump to the conclusion that landing a stud big man isn't something Buzz is capable of doing, or might do - possibly this spring, or perhaps in the 2011 recruiting class.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

TJ

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2010, 07:11:11 PM »
Well, yes and no. Assuming the player lands another schollie elsewhere, he still is getting a free ride at a university and can practice, get his academics in order, etc.
If the athlete has pro potential, this is a non-issue since it's not likely that he gets creaned to begin with.
So punishing someone for a decision made by their coach that they weren't good enough only matters if the player has pro potential?

The player might not be thrust into the worst situation in the world, but it's still an unfair punishment put upon someone who doesn't deserve it.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2010, 07:14:21 PM »
So if this were to happen, is it still Creaning or does it become Buzzing?  Or can we all grow up and accept that fact that this happens everywhere and happened long before Crean or Buzz came on campus at Marquette.

For the K.O. lovers, you guys should have seen what he did to John Leurck and a few other players.
Sorry, just using a term rather than typing out a long description.  I wasn't even really thinking about it as I did it.  Crean is obviously not the only coach to have done this.  I should have known some would be sensitive to my statement.  I certainly didn't mean for this whole thing to devolve into what everything here devolves into on my behalf.

In fact I modified my first post on the subject.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2010, 07:39:53 PM »
I am thinking right now. I thought
 this board is for opinions and dialogue and not slams. But you have the right to insult. By the way, since you missed the point of the post that we are not connecting on big men, maybe you did not engage the old brain before posting. Just asking. But I am sure that your IQ is superior.

I get your point, but adding McMorrow to that group was dumb. That was beyond anyone's control. You can make reasonable arguments about the others being misses.

The kid has a heart condition for crying out loud. No amount of talent evaluation/screening/etc can forecast that.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2010, 07:59:57 PM »
So if this were to happen, is it still Creaning or does it become Buzzing?  Or can we all grow up and accept that fact that this happens everywhere and happened long before Crean or Buzz came on campus at Marquette.

No one brought up Crean. Then you bring him up twice. Do what I say not what I do much? Quit being such a hypocrite Chicos. It's getting really old.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2010, 08:07:04 PM »
No one brought up Crean. Then you bring him up twice. Do what I say not what I do much? Quit being such a hypocrite Chicos. It's getting really old.

Funny, you might want to go back and read the posts in this thread...I'm not sure how "Creaning" is NOT bringing him up, and that came up well before I chipped in any offering in this post.  Please, feel free to start from post one of this thread.  Thanks  (here's a hint....TJ)

With love and kisses always....feel free to get on other folks, I'm sure you will.   ::)

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2010, 08:09:23 PM »

Yeah, totally the first person to bring up Crean in this thread, at least if you take away all the people that used the term Creaning before he did.

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2010, 08:11:45 PM »
I'm not trying to sound like a douche, but I'm kind of hoping that Mbao decides to leave the program.  He really doesn't seem like he has any idea what he is doing when he is on the court.  I know he hasn't been playing basketball very long but I highly doubt he can develop into even a decent player.  He was SO bad that in the combined 60 minutes he played last season he scored 1pt, and grabbed 7 rebounds, and he only attempted 1 shot from the field.  That is PATHETIC.  Also, is anyone else wondering how the hell this dude was playing on a professional team at one point???

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2010, 08:19:37 PM »
So if this were to happen, is it still Creaning or does it become Buzzing?  Or can we all grow up and accept that fact that this happens everywhere and happened long before Crean or Buzz came on campus at Marquette.

"Buzzcut" might be an alternative. :D

I seem to remember an awful lot of hand-wringing on the board over the years regarding the high number of transfers under Crean--hence the adoption of the term "creaning."  

Yet under Buzz, the number of departures is running more than twice Crean's average.

If there was legitimate concern over the number of transfers under Crean, those same people ought to be screaming bloody murder right now.  Their silence now speaks volumes.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2010, 08:41:27 PM »
I'm not trying to sound like a douche, but I'm kind of hoping that Mbao decides to leave the program.... is anyone else wondering how the hell this dude was playing on a professional team at one point???

You have failed at trying to not sound like a douche. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2010, 08:49:34 PM »
"Buzzcut" might be an alternative. :D

I seem to remember an awful lot of hand-wringing on the board over the years regarding the high number of transfers under Crean--hence the adoption of the term "creaning."  

Yet under Buzz, the number of departures is running more than twice Crean's average.

If there was legitimate concern over the number of transfers under Crean, those same people ought to be screaming bloody murder right now.  Their silence now speaks volumes.

I think your memory is incorrect...the hand wringing was over two facts.  1.  the fact that Crean apart from about 6-7 players his last 6-7  years brought in a dozen or more players that had absolutely no business playing high major D1 ball  then they would turnover at a very high rate and Mu was perpetually young becuase of it.  Then Crean would use the "were young excuse" all day long.  2.  Crean had alot of good players that we actually wanted leave and good assitants.  When you are not signing many good players and then some good ones leaveit makes things tough on the fans

So far Buzz has had the 12th man  or so not come back in Roseboro and HAzel and Mbao if true. Different story than ODb and MAson
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:47:14 PM by Canadian Dimes »

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2010, 09:08:46 PM »
Buzz didn't recruit Hazel.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2010, 09:15:28 PM »

I think your memory is incorrect...the hand wringing was over two facts.  1.  the fact that Crean apart from about 6-7 players his last 6-7  years brought in a dozen or more players that had absolutely no business playing high major D1 ball  then they would turnover at a very high rate and Mu was perpetually young becuase of it.  Then Crean would use the "were young excuse" all day long.  2.  Crean had alot of good players that we actually wanted and goos assitants.  When you are not signing many good players and then some good ones leaveit makes things tough on the fans

So far Buzz has had the 12th man  or so not come back in Roseboro and HAzel and Mbao if true. Different story than ODb and MAson

Ahh, our Mr Hayward has changed his tune.  In the old days (say last month), it was that these players had NO BUSINESS PLAYING DI...they weren't DI players.  Now, it's that they aren't HIGH MAJOR DI players (like Roseboro or Mbao...  ::)  ).  It's funny to watch you change your tune.

Good to see the spelling is still a disaster regardless of what username you have.

Now, back to your argument...how did Mason do after he left MU?  For ODB, was that Crean's fault or ODB's handlers?  ODB will tell you it was his handlers, nevertheless we got to a Final Four the next year.  Hope Buzz can pull that off some day, that would be killer fun.

And now you're dissing Mbao?  YOU?  The same Mr. Hayward that stood tall here to tell us if he added just 25 lbs or so he would be all Big East.  Now you turn on him.  Tsk tsk, shame shame. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2010, 09:30:45 PM »
ODB will tell you it was his handlers, nevertheless we got to a Final Four the next year.

This is a load of crap. When did Blankson EVER say this? Just because you have formed this opinion, does not make it true. He may have regretted not being part of the FF run, but he had a nice last couple years at UNLV.

How often will Buzz lose starters like Blankson and Mason to transfer? I'm going to wager that that will not happen anytime soon. For chrissakes, Mason was one of Crean's most highly touted recruits. It doesn't matter at all what he did after he left. The kid was a starter...or at least playing starters minutes...and he still decided he'd rather live in Baton Rouge than play for a horse' ass. Crean is still losing starters...including former MU recruit Nick Williams last year.

I don't know why you keep defending transfers under Crean. It's obvious that one of the main reasons for leaving for many of these players is because Crean is a douche bag. You've admitted as much. Why keep defending him when you admit he's an assh*le? That's what I don't get.

Shanunu

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2010, 09:35:15 PM »
I would like to nominate mumike22 for the POTD award.

Well played Michael.  Well played.

+1

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2010, 09:46:07 PM »
I had a chat with MBOA last night and he was'nt too sure if he was coming back next year. So as everyone has speculated, MBAO indeed maybe the one to leave if another recruit in signed...

Can you please elaborate on your post? 

Was he saying "I don't think I want to be on the team next year, so I may not be coming back"?

Or was he saying "I don't think I will be allowed to be on the team next year, so I may not be coming back"?

Thank you.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: MBAO MIGHT BE LEAVING THE PROGRAM
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2010, 09:50:05 PM »
Three things:
1. Chicos we get it, you believe Mr. Hayward changed his name or signed up for a new account.  Frankly , I'm not sure that really bothers me.  It seems to bother you as it dominates many of your posts.

2. Why as a collective fan base, do we consistently misspell Mbao's name?

3. I cannot wait for the signing period to be over so we can discuss who is on the team and next year's lineup rather than guessing and judging people who may or may not be on the team.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:52:50 PM by DLange_MU »

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2010, 09:55:48 PM »
I agree with PRN when we start losing starters and team captains and players that will be gretly counted on to play big roles the following year under Buzz hten I will begin to have the same problem with Buzz that I had with Crean.  99% of kids transferr due to playing time that was not and continues to not be the case with Crean.  i had a problem with it becuase his Jack Assishness was hurting the MU program.  I hope it continues for him at Iu as it did last year.

I have no problem when the Menards or the Hazels leave a program they simply were not cut out for this level both the coach and the player gave it a try and it did not work out.  They usually have the choice to stay and finish their degree, most choose to do what they love and play basketball at a level whereby they can actullay get playing time.

cheebs09

• All American
Re: MBAO MIGHT BE LEAVING THE PROGRAM
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2010, 11:20:03 PM »
I don't know why so many people are getting on Yous in this thread. Sure he didn't show a ton, but as with most big guys, it takes them a little while. Our problem is we don't have the upperclass big man to take pressure off the young guys and allow them time to develop. We have a soph and a freshman as our only height. I think Yous has a lot of potential and hope he stays. He is very fast and seems to have good hands. Get a little meat on him and I think he could be pretty good as a junior and could be a huge asset his senior year.