collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Florida, Florida, Florida  (Read 87463 times)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Florida, Florida, Florida
« on: July 19, 2013, 09:41:02 AM »
Jim Brown is a bigoted animal unworthy of respect. His savagery crosses 5 decades. I am not sure what he has done for the black community other than beat senseless numerous black women. Musial, on the other hand, was the consummate gentleman. While both are at the pinnacle of accomplishment in their respective sports the character factor eliminates Brown from any "Greatest Ever" conversation.

I would write more but I need to get my hoodie out of the dryer and head down to the Outrage March taking place in downtown Seattle. Evidently our judicial system does not measure up in the eyes of some.
Jesus.  What if it was your kid who got killed?  And the guy who murdered him got off scott free?  Would outrage be justified then?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:46:09 AM »
nm.

Don't want to turn this thread into THAT discussion.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 10:18:22 AM »
Back to the thread topic,

GQ's blog is critical of both JFB and Nick Young. I think JFB nailed the fit, but the everything put together is meh. GQ points out that a more stark contrast to the white jacket would have been more visually appealing (blue, black, red pants) Hell, I think a darker jacket and white pants would have been an improvement. Treading in the right direction.
http://www.gq.com/style/profiles/201307/the-best-and-worst-dressed-men-at-the-2013-espys#slide=2

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 10:26:54 AM »
The worst kind of racists are the ones that think that they aren't.  I'm sure he'd be great buddies with Pat Buchanan.

Now this is an ironic post.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 10:40:52 AM »
Jesus.  What if it was your kid who got killed?  And the guy who murdered him got off scott free?  Would outrage be justified then?

Tragic? Yes. Heartbreaking? Absolutely. Was Zimmerman responsible for the death of a young man? No doubt. Murder? Not based on the evidence. And to say that Zimmerman got off "scott free" is a stretch. His life is forever altered in a most definite way. IMHO, had the prosecution charged him more reasonably the result (1-3 years in prison?) would have been better for everyone, including him. As it stands neither he nor the Martin family has a chance to put this tragedy behind them. Ever.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 10:52:40 AM »
Tragic? Yes. Heartbreaking? Absolutely. Was Zimmerman responsible for the death of a young man? No doubt. Murder? Not based on the evidence. And to say that Zimmerman got off "scott free" is a stretch. His life is forever altered in a most definite way. IMHO, had the prosecution charged him more reasonably the result (1-3 years in prison?) would have been better for everyone, including him. As it stands neither he nor the Martin family has a chance to put this tragedy behind them. Ever.

Pretty much how I feel.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 10:59:20 AM »

But he still has a life. The same can't be said for the victim he gunned down.

brandx

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 11:00:06 AM »
Jim Brown is a bigoted animal unworthy of respect. His savagery crosses 5 decades. I am not sure what he has done for the black community other than beat senseless numerous black women. Musial, on the other hand, was the consummate gentleman. While both are at the pinnacle of accomplishment in their respective sports the character factor eliminates Brown from any "Greatest Ever" conversation.

I would write more but I need to get my hoodie out of the dryer and head down to the Outrage March taking place in downtown Seattle. Evidently our judicial system does not measure up in the eyes of some.

Apparently you didn't miss ANY of Fox News' coverage.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 11:00:11 AM »
Yes...you are correct in everything you say here.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 11:02:07 AM »

I agree, and I understand why Zimmerman wasn't convicted. But, I think some of the outrage is based upon the law being wrong, or at least written/interpreted poorly. People are mad because they can't understand how this is "legal".

Personally, I'm still not comfortable with citizens following (and ultimately engaging) other citizens while carrying firearms. It's just a bad idea all around.

This isn't a Charles Bronson movie.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 11:21:36 AM »
I agree, and I understand why Zimmerman wasn't convicted. But, I think some of the outrage regarding the verdict is based upon the law being wrong, or at least written/interpreted poorly. People are mad because they can't don't understand how our this is "legal" system works.

Personally, I'm still not comfortable with undereducated citizens following (and ultimately engaging) other citizens while carrying firearms. It's just a bad idea all around.

This isn't a Charles Bronson Jeff Daniels movie.

FIFY
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

leever

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 11:23:12 AM »
Apparently you didn't miss ANY of Fox News' coverage.

How do you feel about Nancy Grace's coverage on CNN?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 11:31:40 AM »
FIFY

I understand how the legal system works completely.

But, I don't want armed citizens following me or my kids around my own neighborhood.

Therefore, I'm not sure I'm in favor of the current laws, or interpretation of those laws. 

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 11:52:09 AM »
I understand how the legal system works completely.

But, I don't want armed citizens following me or my kids around my own neighborhood.

Therefore, I'm not sure I'm in favor of the current laws, or interpretation of those laws.  

Put an end to gun culture and change your username. It influences me to purchase multiple firearms and ammunition. I am helpless against puns.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 11:58:17 AM »

If ever my neighborhood watch officer is following me and my kids around, he damn well better have a gun.... because it's not me he's following, it's the guy who's following me that he's following.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »

Yep.  And the problem is with this well reasoned line of thinking is that it gets the nuts on either end of the spectrum mad at you.  Seriously, I said this same basic thing in response to a friend's Facebook post, and another friend of his called me a racist.  OK...

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »
Guys, guys, take it to another message board. This is the last thing we need to be discussing here.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 12:56:25 PM »
Thibs said JFB is starting at SG next year.  What are the chances Jimmy has a better year than D Wade?  Pretty good I think.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 01:05:59 PM »
Yep.  And the problem is with this well reasoned line of thinking is that it gets the nuts on either end of the spectrum mad at you.  Seriously, I said this same basic thing in response to a friend's Facebook post, and another friend of his called me a racist.  OK...

People on (either) fringe are pretty much always angry and looking to get angrier. And once they've run the facts through their personal filters, the bigots on the other side appear obvious. the ones on their own side, not so much.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 01:07:03 PM »
Thibs said JFB is starting at SG next year.  What are the chances Jimmy has a better year than D Wade?  Pretty good I think.

What is this post doin' in this thread?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 01:08:03 PM »

Slim to none.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 01:11:26 PM »

No chance. Wade had a "down" season last year and still went for 21-5-5 on 52% shooting. Wade should put up a similar line this season and while Butler's production will go up, I don't see him reaching All-Star level numbers.

That said, 2013-14 NBA Most Improved Player: Jimmy Butler

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 01:30:42 PM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 01:43:53 PM »
Really Keefe?

I was taking the piss out of Chico there. But I do stand by my comments about Jim Brown. The man is a brutal savage.

People in the States manufacture drama over events that would never register in other parts of the world. The whole Zimmerman-Martin circus is perhaps tragic but wholly unworthy of the attention it has received.

A sister and her husband are physicians and do a Médecins Sans Frontières gig every 5 years. As I was returning to the USAF they had just completed a stint at a refugee camp in Eritrea. Since I was in transition I took three months to work as an unpaid volunteer flying relief supplies from Europe to refugee camps in the Horn of Africa (Somalia, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya) for Oxfam. I have never seen such impoverishment and desperation. Every day in those camps dozens of children under the age of 10 die from lack of clean water. Malnourishment. Disease. Exposure.

I ask where is the anguish for the thousands of young African children dying every year? There is genuine tragedy of a far more horrific and greater scale than what happened in Florida. It is easy to pontificate while sipping chardonnay. Those with genuine concern about injustice would be in Somalia, Mumbai, the West Bank, or Nepal trying to right the wrongs rather than shaking one's fist at their 60" HDTV screen or seething with fury at how the pundits on Fox/CNN are so woefully ignorant.  

My wife visited me during those 100 days and traveled to the camps. Her experience there led her eventually to the Gates Foundation where she worked clean water initiatives in the developing world (work that our daughter has continued.) It is easy to be an evangelical dogmatic from the comfort of suburban America. It is profoundly different to actually do something about it.

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 01:53:05 PM »
I was taking the piss out of Chico there. But I do stand by my comments about Jim Brown. The man is a brutal savage.

People in the States manufacture drama over events that would never register in other parts of the world. The whole Zimmerman-Martin circus is perhaps tragic but wholly unworthy of the attention it has received.

A sister and her husband are physicians and do a Médecins Sans Frontières gig every 5 years. As I was returning to the USAF they had just completed a stint at a refugee camp in Eritrea. Since I was in transition I took three months to work as an unpaid volunteer flying relief supplies from Europe to refugee camps in the Horn of Africa (Somalia, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya) for Oxfam. I have never seen such impoverishment and desperation. Every day in those camps dozens of children under the age of 10 die from lack of clean water. Malnourishment. Disease. Exposure.

I ask where is the anguish for the thousands of young African children dying every year? There is genuine tragedy of a far more horrific and greater scale than what happened in Florida. It is easy to pontificate while sipping chardonnay. Those with genuine concern about injustice would be in Somalia, Mumbai, the West Bank, or Nepal trying to right the wrongs rather than shaking one's fist at their 60" HDTV screen or seething with fury at how the pundits on Fox/CNN are so woefully ignorant.  

My wife visited me during those 100 days and traveled to the camps. Her experience there led her eventually to the Gates Foundation where she worked clean water initiatives in the developing world (work that our daughter has continued.) It is easy to be an evangelical dogmatic from the comfort of suburban America. It is profoundly different to actually do something about it.

Your life experiences and your intellect invariably add needed perspective.