[Today at 11:29:24 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 10:38:12 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:31:55 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by lawdog77
[Today at 07:08:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Seve Ballesteros dead--a great golf champion.  (Read 1084 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Seve Ballesteros dead--a great golf champion.
« on: May 07, 2011, 05:48:09 AM »
A great inventive, shot maker and Masters champ, winner of 5 majors, Ryder cup star, and captain, pioneer golfer from the continent,,,,Seve dies at age 54. Brain cancer. RIP.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=6498364
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
Re: Seve Ballesteros dead--a great golf champion.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 07:36:23 AM »
wow!  didn't know he was ill...was a good guy and an excellant steward for the game

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 07:21:50 PM »
Sad day for golfers. Remember cheering against him when I was younger, but really respect his body of work. Always sad to see anyone die at 54. R.I.P. Seve!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 09:38:35 AM »
The Ryder Cup was literally NOTHING until Seve Ballesteros came along. He was the aptly nicknamed "Arnold Palmer of European golf." A giant

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 02:22:51 PM »
The Ryder Cup was literally NOTHING until Seve Ballesteros came along. He was the aptly nicknamed "Arnold Palmer of European golf." A giant
Great point-- folks forget the Ryder was just British players before he came along, and they opened their team to Europeans, largely to get him on it. All of the excitement of the Ryder matches...USA vs. Europe post dates his putting this tourney on the TV map. He still holds the all time best match play record in the Ryder's history...He and Olazabal teamed up to kick  the USA, more times than we care to remember.

He did more for the progress to prominence of the European tour, than any single player...thereby broadening pro tourney play to beyond USA and GB.

Its very apt to give him the Arnold Palmer moniker, as Arny did for the US PGA tour, what Seve did for the European Tour....and like Arny he grew up in humble surroundings, but still had the same class, and winning smile/personality., as Arny.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

feedback