[Today at 09:14:48 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How concerned Are you About Haanif?  (Read 16686 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
How concerned Are you About Haanif?
« on: January 09, 2017, 09:40:48 AM »
Coming into the season I thought he would be our best player.  He has not been.  He has not been "bad" just not the best.

To be clear, I still have faith in him and when looking at the season this April, he could still be considered our best player.

Questions,

* Was it fair of me to think of him as our preseason pick for best player?

* How concerned are you about his progression from last year to this year?  Are you concerned?  (Recall that Buzz believes that players make their biggest jump from Freshman to Sophomore year.  I believe this to be correct.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:35:12 PM by Yukon Cornelius »

🏀

• All American
Re: How concerned Are you About Hannif?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 09:42:05 AM »
Not concerned.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 09:45:14 AM »
In three BE games he has a total of 10 points on 3 for 19 from the field.  Sure just a little slump, but must come out for MU to win.  Lets see Weds.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 09:50:09 AM »
Believe it or not, but Haanif has been more efficient this year (112 vs 101) on about the same usage (20%). It's not from a shooting perspective, but more because he's protecting the ball a lot better (14% vs 24%). Defensive rebounding is better this year too.

However, in three games of conference play, he has struggled significantly. I chalk that up to sample size and believe his struggles reflect recency bias more than anything.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 09:53:43 AM »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 09:54:30 AM »
He  needs to work on his right hand a lot this offseason.  I do think his offensive game, at least recently against stronger opponents, has become more predictable. 

He also seems to be forcing things about when going to the hoop.  He has a good shot but has passed up open mid-range shots which have led to some out of control drives. 

I'm not worried at all long-term but if we are going to have a shot at a bid this year he needs to turn it around. 

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 10:02:21 AM »
Who?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 10:13:23 AM »
I'm concerned you couldn't get his name correct.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 10:32:51 AM »
About a 3 on a scale of 10. I think Buzz is wrong about that freshman to sophomore jump. Guys like Blue, Junior, and Jajuan saw their biggest improvements going into their junior years.

Last year, Cheatham exceeded expectations because the first three things on opponents scout sheets were Ellenson, Ellenson, and Ellenson and no one was worried about Wally. This year defenses have figured him out, but he's still contributing on the boards and defensively while making some nice passes and limiting turnovers.

Give him an offseason to diversify his game and I think he'll be fine.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 10:51:43 AM »
At the present time, I am a little worried.  Long term, I think he'll be fine.  But this team badly needs HC to hit an open shot, and to make layups - neither of which he has done in BE play.  I feel like he needs a good game against a creampuff to get him out of his funk.  Run the offense through him and let him score 25+...get some confidence back.  Hopefully we can let him do that on Saturday.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 10:54:13 AM »
About a 3 on a scale of 10. I think Buzz is wrong about that freshman to sophomore jump. Guys like Blue, Junior, and Jajuan saw their biggest improvements going into their junior years.

Last year, Cheatham exceeded expectations because the first three things on opponents scout sheets were Ellenson, Ellenson, and Ellenson and no one was worried about Wally. This year defenses have figured him out, but he's still contributing on the boards and defensively while making some nice passes and limiting turnovers.

I think the Frosh to Soph comment is valid on Defense but agree with you 100% on Offense.  So many guards that are really good but not NBA level elite seem to not really come on until Jr year. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 10:55:30 AM »
Who?   Now, if you mean Haanif, then on a scale of 1-10, I would say 2.    Shooting slump, other teams are taking away his best move.   He is still playing well defensively and not turning the ball over.    He made a 3 on Saturday.   One breakaway lay up and he can find his groove. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 11:08:50 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 11:03:38 AM »
I think the Frosh to Soph comment is valid on Defense but agree with you 100% on Offense.  So many guards that are really good but not NBA level elite seem to not really come on until Jr year.

I'll agree with you there. Defensively you have a good idea by sophomore year what a guy will be.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 11:19:01 AM »
Believe it or not, but Haanif has been more efficient this year (112 vs 101) on about the same usage (20%). It's not from a shooting perspective, but more because he's protecting the ball a lot better (14% vs 24%). Defensive rebounding is better this year too.

However, in three games of conference play, he has struggled significantly. I chalk that up to sample size and believe his struggles reflect recency bias more than anything.

Again, Top 100 Orating:

This season:  87.8
Last season:  86.5

He is not in a slump per se, he has been scouted.  In the Nova game, their defenders were anticipating his next move before he made it (same to a degree with Luke and Jj).  The kid has the talent to dimensionalize his game.  All he needs is the realization to what he needs to do to adjust (like nailing that three pointer they were sagging on him the other night, pull up, pass out of the dribble drive, right hand).

Every action needs to be countered with a reaction.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 11:22:07 AM »
Not concerned at all, his turnovers are way down and he is by far our best defender.  Haanif is the least of this teams problems
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

jesmu84

• All American

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 11:58:30 AM »
Not concerned but he isn't taking shots that he should be taking. A couple times against Nova he had a couple wide open shots and didn't shoot

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 01:08:33 PM »
Coming into the season I thought he would be our best player.  He has not been.  He has not been "bad" just not the best.

To be clear, I still have faith in him and when looking at the season this April, he could still be considered our best player.

Questions,

* Was it fair of me to think of him as our preseason pick for best player?

* How concerned are you about his progression from last year to this year?  Are you concerned?  (Recall that Buzz believes that players make their biggest jump from Freshman to Sophomore year.  I believe this to be correct.)

Not concerned about Cheatham, he will be fine

Who is Buzz?
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 01:25:29 PM »
Moderately. Playing good D and I hadn't realized the improvement in TO%.

Offensively, needs to develop the right hand, and find a mid-rage game (floater or short J).

Still appears to be very much engaged, so here's hoping he works through it.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: How concerned Are you About Haanif?
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 02:39:36 PM »
Let me ask about my other question that no one has yet addressed ...

Do you think/expect him to be our best player, as the roster is currently configured. 

I understand "best" as a term that can mean different things to different people.

I think "best" means he is the most important player on the team.  So goes Haanif, so goes the team. (That is more than anyone else.)

Agree?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 02:40:49 PM »

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 02:57:55 PM »
Again, Top 100 Orating:

This season:  87.8
Last season:  86.5

He is not in a slump per se, he has been scouted.  In the Nova game, their defenders were anticipating his next move before he made it (same to a degree with Luke and Jj).  The kid has the talent to dimensionalize his game.  All he needs is the realization to what he needs to do to adjust (like nailing that three pointer they were sagging on him the other night, pull up, pass out of the dribble drive, right hand).

Every action needs to be countered with a reaction.

A fair point that's he's been scouted, but I think this season's rating for A+B is being weighted down by the three conference games where he's shooting 18% eFG%.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 03:13:30 PM »
As long as Wojo recruits over his heine, it don't matta, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Folks,,,

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 03:30:45 PM »
Let me ask about my other question that no one has yet addressed ...

Do you think/expect him to be our best most important player, as the roster is currently configured. 

I understand "best" as a term that can mean different things to different people.

I think "best" means he is the most important player on the team.  So goes Haanif, so goes the team. (That is more than anyone else.)

Agree?

I like the question but you don't need to redefine a word...just phrase the question appropriately.  The best and most important players on a team can be different.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 03:34:09 PM »
Do you think/expect him to be our best player, as the roster is currently configured. 

Agree?

Personally I never thought this. 

I believe it is possible he becomes a 'go-to' guy Jr or Sr year - but young Marcus is looking pretty darn tough to beat at this point.

feedback