'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Current Teams Downfall ...  (Read 5730 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: The Current Teams Downfall ...
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2015, 03:09:21 PM »
Right, but Car3no is clearly our best player and we're clearly a much better team with him than without him.

But the equivalency isn't there.  Wade was the best player on that team, but in another universe compared to MC.   Carlino is the best player on this team, but I don't see the separation at all compared to Wade.  We're a better team with Carlino in the short term, but not by a country mile.  Carlino is one of those guys IMO that is good enough to keep you in games because of his shooting, but just a touch NOT good enough that we overly relied on him in games we could have won and lost by too much MC.  There are guys like this. Not his fault.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2015, 03:52:50 PM »
But the equivalency isn't there.  Wade was the best player on that team, but in another universe compared to MC.   Carlino is the best player on this team, but I don't see the separation at all compared to Wade.  We're a better team with Carlino in the short term, but not by a country mile.  Carlino is one of those guys IMO that is good enough to keep you in games because of his shooting, but just a touch NOT good enough that we overly relied on him in games we could have won and lost by too much MC.  There are guys like this. Not his fault.

I can see what you're saying and I can see the problem with Carlino if we had other talent around him, but we really don't.  In my opinion, with this team, there is no such thing as too much Carlino.  I would rather have Carlino shooting a contested 3 pointer than I would have Juan, Derrick, JJJ, Steve, or Luke shoot an uncontested jumper/3 pointer.  I'd take an uncontested Sandy and Duane jumper over a well contested Carlino jumper.  But in my opinion Carlino's shot selection has been pretty dang good this year.  Of course there have been some poor shots/decisions, but that happens with every basketball player at every level.  Carlino and Duane are the only 2 guys who I have confidence in making a play on this team.  I do have confidence that JJJ can finish at the rim when he's coming off of a screen and not simply trying to break down a defender off the bounce from the top of the key.  I do have confidence that Luke can finish in the post when he catches it in good position.  But in my mind, if Carlino sees an opening to shoot, I hope he takes it.  This team simply doesn't have other scorers around to justify looking for better shots.  A contested Carlino 3 is oftentimes the best shot we'll get on our offense.  We truly lack that much talent on this team right now, unfortunately.

Carlino and Duane are the only 2 guys who are currently able to be offensive difference makers at the high major division 1 level.  Luke can certainly get there, Sandy shows some flashes, JJJ has some moments.  But at the moment there are very few shots that I don't like coming from Duane and Carlino.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 03:57:42 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Class71

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2015, 04:01:36 PM »
I thought it started when the Japanese invaded Poland?

I thought Poland invaded Japan after they conquered Fiji on horseback?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2015, 07:02:07 PM »
It will be a difficult transition from Brent's dysfunctional style with dysfunctional or "chip on shoulder" kids to Wojo's style of stable kids from stable backgrounds.  Brent did a good job of finding some pearls within his recruitment pool.  So will Wojo.  Unfortunately, there's very little crossover. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."