collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: US Economy thread  (Read 18224 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: US Economy thread
« Reply #725 on: May 14, 2024, 11:08:03 AM »
Ha! True. All of the good property will be bought up by the Californians by the time I am ready to retire anyway.

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/study-tracks-californians-moving-to-montana

Tracks.  Bringing the crime with them!  SMDH
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #726 on: May 14, 2024, 11:37:20 AM »
Yes, I have.. Did it for over 10 years. When I retire, I will probably retire to Montana.  It was a good experience. Sorry you had such a bad experience. Sounds like a you problem. Know-it-alls sometimes get ostracized in rural settings.

Golly. Touched a nerve, I guess.
Anyhow, I had a fine time in small-town America. Made some lifelong friends, got some good life and work experience, and was happy to leave.
Feel bad for those I left behind. Lack of career options. Shuttered factories. Vacant storefronts. Few dining/shopping options within an hour. Young people leaving in droves. Lots of poverty and substance abuse issues.
And the racism. Oh my, the racism. True story ... one town where I lived removed the basketball hoops from their central park because city leaders thought they were attracting too many black people.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 11:39:13 AM by Pakuni »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #727 on: May 14, 2024, 11:51:38 AM »
Golly. Touched a nerve, I guess.
Anyhow, I had a fine time in small-town America. Made some lifelong friends, got some good life and work experience, and was happy to leave.
Feel bad for those I left behind. Lack of career options. Shuttered factories. Vacant storefronts. Few dining/shopping options within an hour. Young people leaving in droves. Lots of poverty and substance abuse issues.
And the racism.
Oh my, the racism. True story ... one town where I lived removed the basketball hoops from their central park because city leaders thought they were attracting too many black people.
Nice edit.
Yes, there's no poverty, substance abuse or racism in the urban areas.
You didn't touch a nerve.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #728 on: May 14, 2024, 12:03:36 PM »
Nice edit.
Yes, there's no poverty, substance abuse or racism in the urban areas.
You didn't touch a nerve.

Thanks. I chose generosity.
And no, you're not at all touchy about this.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #729 on: May 14, 2024, 12:20:05 PM »
Thanks. I chose generosity.
And no, you're not at all touchy about this.
Not the least bit.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #730 on: May 14, 2024, 03:38:03 PM »
https://twitter.com/econliberties/status/1790467874374475935?t=P8Zf_KgzOvYugwQ2NGq_TQ&s=19

Ho hum. Another example of private collusion screwing everyday Americans.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #731 on: May 14, 2024, 04:09:17 PM »
that can't be, it's un-American ...oh wait

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #732 on: May 14, 2024, 04:20:17 PM »
https://twitter.com/econliberties/status/1790467874374475935?t=P8Zf_KgzOvYugwQ2NGq_TQ&s=19

Ho hum. Another example of private collusion screwing everyday Americans.
I don't have access to this article but I would be curious to know how they are going to spin this.
https://www.wsj.com/finance/commodities-futures/ftc-oil-prices-market-collusion-aa7f2de9
Title:What’s So Bad About Fixing Oil Prices?
A U.S. oil CEO’s alleged collusion with OPEC isn’t as alarming or evil as it seems

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #733 on: May 14, 2024, 06:40:11 PM »
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-years-ago-renters-needed-182321562.html

5 years ago renters needed to make less than $60,000 a year to afford the typical rent; now they need to make almost $80,000

Average US salary (based on Google results): $64,000

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #734 on: Today at 07:23:34 AM »
In six months do you all believe that inflation will be flat, up, or down?

I'm expecting flat, but I figured I'd ask the experts.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #735 on: Today at 08:10:43 AM »
In six months do you all believe that inflation will be flat, up, or down?

I'm expecting flat, but I figured I'd ask the experts.
I’m expecting up, maybe not across the board, but led by fuel costs.  That industry will do whatever they can to influence the election towards Rs and $4+ a gallon gas will go a long way towards that goal.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #736 on: Today at 09:19:41 AM »
No expert here. I'd guess flattish just because it makes sense to me that it will go neither up nor down much.

There was a new CPI report today, showing a very slight cooling to 3.4% in April. It's been in that range month after month, give or take a .1%, for awhile now, and I see no reason why there would be a greater variation, up or down, for the next 6 months. FWIW, crude oil is down about 1% today as I write this, but that's very volatile and who knows where it will go.

So I'm expressing no "confidence" either way, just trying to be pragmatic.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #737 on: Today at 12:40:52 PM »
FWIW, one of our larger clients who is someone I track closely for our biz, and the general economy, just requested canceling or pushing out delivery on orders scheduled to arrive the USA in Aug-October. They supply parts to the big AG guys and auto industry, and they normally extremely sharp on their forecasting.  We have worked with this client since 2005 and this is the third time we have seen this type of request. The first time was in spring of 2008 and second time during the pandemic.

For the record, I am not saying this is doomsday on the economy by any stretch. Thought it was interesting because in the 19 years of working them only two times have suppliers not shipped them goods in a given month. Prior to these cancelations they have good shipped twelve months a year 16 out of the last 18 years. Will add, the request was made due to slowdowns with their customers.