* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bo Ryan retiring end of semester  (Read 76487 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Bo Ryan retiring end of semester
« Reply #150 on: December 16, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »

I wasn't saying it was a great school.  I was saying that they don't make the same types of admissions exceptions for athletes like they used to.

They definitely still make exceptions for students they just don't make as many exceptions.  John Clay is a perfect example of exceptions being granted and I know that as a stone cold lock.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #151 on: December 16, 2015, 03:08:47 PM »
It is expected that people will claim that his career was a paean to nobility but I think the guy was a sore loser and nasty sonuvabitch.

His presser after losing to Duke or what he did to that Uthoff kid is all one needs to know about the character of one Bo Ryan.

Adios Mother F#cker. College basketball is a better place without your toxic personality.

I couldn't have said it better myself.  This is it.  Exactly.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

connie

• All American
« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2015, 03:15:28 PM »
While certainly Bo's objective, I don't think Barry is in a corner at all.  He'll do a comprehensive search.
I don't think Barry plans to lose this measuring contest.  My bet is Barry triples his efforts to find someone besides Gard.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

connie

• All American
« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2015, 03:20:34 PM »

How the donors react is going to be interesting.  Bo did a great job cultivating a cadre of boosters to the basketball program.  Do those boosters have a loyalty to Bo's guy?
Funny, one of those boosters was just telling my daughter (now at UW--sigh) in October "not to worry--Bo will be around for a few more years."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #154 on: December 16, 2015, 03:21:43 PM »
Why have academic requirements when you don't bother graduating players anyway?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #155 on: December 16, 2015, 03:29:15 PM »
Why have academic requirements when you don't bother graduating players anyway?

AMEN
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #156 on: December 16, 2015, 03:30:16 PM »
Congratulations are due to Bo Ryan on an illustrious career at Wisconsin, including such accomplishments as:

*** Zero National Championships despite having a bottomless well of taxpayer dollars

*** A history of NCAA Tournament success, including a 4-7 record against teams seeded 1-4.

But oh man, who could forget those legendary NCAA Tournament victories over:
9th-seeded St. John's
12th-seeded Weber State
13th-seeded Tulsa
11th-seeded Richmond
11th-seeded Northern Iowa
14th-seeded Bucknell
10th-seeded NC State
15th-seeded Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
14th-seeded Cal State Fullerton
11th-seeded Kansas State
5th-seeded Florida State (Hey! Look at that! A higher seed! It only took 8 years.)
13th-seeded Wofford
13th-seeded Belmont
5th-seeded Kansas State
13th-seeded Montana
5th-seeded Vanderbilt
15th-seeded American
7th-seeded Oregon
6th-seeded Baylor
16th-seeded Coastal Carolina
8th-seeded Oregon

A regular giant-slayer that Bo Ryan is, what with his TWO career NCAA Tournament victories over higher-seeded opponents. You can count them on two hands if you love playing with fireworks.

*** Being such a great developer of talent that he had a whole FOUR players drafted by NBA teams in 14+ seasons. Way to go, Bo!
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

connie

• All American
« Reply #157 on: December 16, 2015, 03:41:14 PM »

I am curious. I never really tried to understand Bo's "system" that he mentored throughout the state for decades. Is UW married to keeping the "Bo" system? Do they slip back to pre Bo mediocrity? Does the era end with him? Does UW keep recruiting its "system" style kids? If not....How will they change, and how might this affect our recruiting profile/competitiveness?
While I respect the coaching ability that squeezed as much as Bo did out of the players he recruited, I think that business model is really hard to follow and get consistent good results. I can't see the difference makers at UW trying to catch lightning in a bottle again when all they do is rave about how "unique" Bo is (even though his real success came with actual NBA talent), but let's hope they do.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #158 on: December 16, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »
Congratulations are due to Bo Ryan on an illustrious career at Wisconsin, including such accomplishments as:

*** Zero National Championships despite having a bottomless well of taxpayer dollars

UW Athletics does not have a "bottomless well of taxpayer dollars." 

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #159 on: December 16, 2015, 06:34:23 PM »
I have heard the rumors from credible sources…if true…I trust they will come out in the media in time as there are some fairly serious offshoot events tied to some bad decisions…just don't want to jump on gossip as I remember that feeling a few years ago with Buzz and trying not to judge until the rumors were replaced by credible allegations (i.e. the Chicago Tribune story)….hopefully the truth comes out…in the meantime, let the man run away in peace.   (but if the rumors are true…it is complicated and ugly and I can totally see why Bo would leave right now to spare the program from embarrassment and scandal on top of the retirement/unretirement power play).  That being said…the dude could coach.

So, I chose to celebrate the taming of the grinch by rewatching his last loss…last Saturday in Madison to our beloved Warriors.   He did not look his obnoxious grinch self on the sideline so something was possibly weighty on his mind.   But, beyond that….my God...Henry, Luke and Cheatham were studs!   And DWill, JJJ and Sandy all had way higher positives than not in the game….and I love our last meeting with him at the Kohl Hole is a W.  Wojo had a brilliant game plan and in the face of adversity after blowing a big lead…we nailed those rodents (and frankly, after rewatching it…it could have been so much worse for UW…although both Happ and Showalter were really impressive).    Bo took UW to the top….probably destined to fall back…but MU looks without question on the rise!   I raise my glass to UW for they last few years but i can not wait to drink in all the success that I feel is on our way.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #160 on: December 16, 2015, 06:51:51 PM »
I have heard the rumors from credible sources…if true…I trust they will come out in the media in time as there are some fairly serious offshoot events tied to some bad decisions…just don't want to jump on gossip as I remember that feeling a few years ago with Buzz and trying not to judge until the rumors were replaced by credible allegations (i.e. the Chicago Tribune story)….hopefully the truth comes out…in the meantime, let the man run away in peace.   (but if the rumors are true…it is complicated and ugly and I can totally see why Bo would leave right now to spare the program from embarrassment and scandal on top of the retirement/unretirement power play).  That being said…the dude could coach.

So, I chose to celebrate the taming of the grinch by rewatching his last loss…last Saturday in Madison to our beloved Warriors.   He did not look his obnoxious grinch self on the sideline so something was possibly weighty on his mind.   But, beyond that….my God...Henry, Luke and Cheatham were studs!   And DWill, JJJ and Sandy all had way higher positives than not in the game….and I love our last meeting with him at the Kohl Hole is a W.  Wojo had a brilliant game plan and in the face of adversity after blowing a big lead…we nailed those rodents (and frankly, after rewatching it…it could have been so much worse for UW…although both Happ and Showalter were really impressive).    Bo took UW to the top….probably destined to fall back…but MU looks without question on the rise!   I raise my glass to UW for they last few years but i can not wait to drink in all the success that I feel is on our way.

Come on everyone, out with it

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #161 on: December 16, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »

That's a 500 word humble brag amounting to "i know more than you do".  No offense but if you meant the last 250 words you would've 'swallowed' the first 250.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2015, 06:59:04 PM »
There may be more to this story than what currently meets the eye. I heard a rumor about this late last week and not willing to share it, but if true, makes this a very interesting story.

if it's potentially about some alleged shenanigans re: fidelity, i know a guy connected to wisco sports-hints-i didn't press any further so....
don't...don't don't don't don't

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2015, 07:09:37 PM »
That's a 500 word humble brag amounting to "i know more than you do".  No offense but if you meant the last 250 words you would've 'swallowed' the first 250.

So, this is not the Associated Press and I'm not saying this is the truth…but…the rumor is in this neighborhood:

1.  Bo had inappropriate relationship with a younger woman
2.  Younger woman had some loose associations with very sketchy characters
3.  Very sketchy characters made Bo and his family's life hell (which is sad)
4.  Things got potentially escalated in the last week
5.  One of said sketchy characters was murdered in Madison last Friday night/Saturday morning.
6.  Nothing incriminating at all toward Bo but bad decisions led to peripheral attachment to an ugly situation which would bring embarrassment, shame and distraction to the University and program.
7.  On top of an already odd and tense situation…well…you can see the timing issue.

There, I said  (or wrote) it.   BTW, the person who told me this has the absolute utmost respect and like for Bo and considers him a man with integrity and ethics who potentially made some bad decisions.

Just saying what everyone is alluding to….not saying it is true…the internet may be a wonderful tool of hyping speculation, rumor and gossip…but, his timing on all this is odd to say the least….if he was doing this to secure the long term prospects for Gard…could not have been more poorly orchestrated.    Let's see if more comes out….if not…I'm guilty of fueling horrible character assassination through speculation…but, eff it…it is a message board and it is not like I have to protect my self or my "sources."   

Again…did not mean to sound like a pseudo-insider….now I sound like a wild rumor monger….I am neither….or both…but happy where our program is heading.

More scotch anyone?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 08:01:06 PM by murobrob »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2015, 07:25:56 PM »
So you are saying the Grinch was putting it to Cindy Lou Who?

Have some patience, FFS.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2015, 07:35:04 PM »

*** A history of NCAA Tournament success, including a 4-7 record against teams seeded 1-4.

Can you put together TC, Buzz or even Als record against top 4 seeds? That's not a horrible record considering 2 of those losses were in the final last year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2015, 07:41:13 PM »
So you are saying the Grinch was putting it to Cindy Lou Who?

Oh my...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2015, 07:46:05 PM »
nm

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2015, 08:10:39 PM »
Sorry…that really was not my intent…truly…while watching the rewind of the game I also had a few drinks which maybe skews my language…
I was being WAY too antagonistic --- long couple o weeks of the naginiF household being sick.

Fantastic response!  Pretty much summarizes everything i've read today except I don't believe that the Olive Garden breadstick theory is 100% true. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2015, 08:19:11 PM »
So, this is not the Associated Press and I'm not saying this is the truth…but…the rumor is in this neighborhood:

5.  One of said sketchy characters was murdered in Madison last Friday night/Saturday morning.
6.  Nothing incriminating at all toward Bo but bad decisions led to peripheral attachment to an ugly situation which would bring embarrassment, shame and distraction to the University and program.
7.  On top of an already odd and tense situation…well…you can see the timing issue.

There, I said  (or wrote) it.   BTW, the person who told me this has the absolute utmost respect and like for Bo and considers him a man with integrity and ethics who potentially made some bad decisions.

Just saying what everyone is alluding to….not saying it is true…the internet may be a wonderful tool of hyping speculation, rumor and gossip…but, his timing on all this is odd to say the least….if he was doing this to secure the long term prospects for Gard…could not have been more poorly orchestrated.    Let's see if more comes out….if not…I'm guilty of fueling horrible character assassination through speculation…but, eff it…it is a message board and it is not like I have to protect my self or my "sources."   

Again…did not mean to sound like a pseudo-insider….now I sound like a wild rumor monger….I am neither….or both…but happy where our program is heading.

More scotch anyone?

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2015, 08:22:57 PM »
I was being WAY too antagonistic --- long couple o weeks of the naginiF household being sick.

Fantastic response!  Pretty much summarizes everything i've read today except I don't believe that the Olive Garden breadstick theory is 100% true.

All good my friend….I reread my post and I did sound like that and I did not mean to…I take feedback well….and learn from it :)    Also changed my response a bit to just stop sounding douchey and get to the point…again…may or may not be true but lots of smoke….and, I agree...The Olive Garden Breadstick has to be rumor…has to be...

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2015, 08:23:34 PM »

This is a great gif!! Gave me a good laugh as it was exactly my reaction.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2015, 08:25:08 PM »
Heard a similar story from someone "involved" in Madison.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2015, 08:34:51 PM »

More scotch anyone?

And here I thought it was just that the people in Madison finally got sick of Bo not graduating his players  :)  I thought that was embarrassing enough.

Seriously, there have been a lot of hints something was going on over the last few weeks.  I'm glad someone finally spilled the rumor beans in enough detail to get it out in the open in full.

Olive Garden?  What?  Breadsticks?  Now we have a new rumor to fuel the fire. 

connie

• All American
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2015, 08:49:23 PM »
I heard it was Famous Daves and a corn muffin.