Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jimmy Butler Question: time for us to act like he's been there before?  (Read 9104 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Jimmy Butler Question: time for us to act like he's been there before?
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 02:46:30 PM »
Speaking of history, I totally forgot that JFBs first season was the same as the last season of James/McNeal/Matthews. Not to mention Lazar as a junior, then Burke/Cubillan/Acker.

Did people even really talk much about Jimmy his first year? Between he and Pat Hazel, they were the only underclassmen on a well established roster. Not to mention the storyline of how Buzz got hired (cough), and then the team started off 12-2 in conference before James got injured. All during the year that the BE had three #1 seeds. Personally, Jimmy didn't really sneak much onto my consciousness until later in the season when he was solidly contributing. It was after the season that the quality of his season sunk in, and people started to realize that he was the fourth most efficient player in the nation.

Also, before his senior season, Cracked Sidewalks wrote that he deserved to be in contention for BE POY.

Back to the question, I am enjoying the Butler posts. Thanks for putting in the updates!

I remember Butler getting some love towards the very end of the season.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 03:03:47 PM »
Butler was close to a 20 mpg guy as a sophomore and played in 35 games. I remember him getting more and more play as the season went on, especially once DJ went down. He was almost always first off the bench and was a huge beneficiary as Hazel became less effective and started getting DNPs.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 03:16:53 PM »
JFB was Burke's backup and increasingly got more minutes.   But he did look bad at first.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 07:10:42 PM »
I don't know why Jimmy is a cautionary tale for first year "this guy sucks" people. Butler was awesome the second he set foot on the court as a sophomore. Played almost 20 minutes a game and was the 4th most efficient scorer in the whole NCAA. Was the 6th man that got a lot of burn on a team stacked at his position (lazar, wes).

Sorry, but you are way off on that one. During the start of his first (soph) season, there were lots of people were writing him off on here and acting like he wouldn't get a schollie for his jr year.  Granted it was only the first month or two he played hoops for MU, but there plenty of brutal posts on here from some impatient posters.  By the end of his first year though, JFB showed everyone that he could ball, draw contact, and finish at the FT line.

Overall, JFB is such a great success story... he's a hard working guy who has improved his game every year he's played.  Really great to see him get the national press now.  JFB deserves all the accolades and has plenty more to come in the NBA.

AZWarrior

• All American
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 11:56:24 PM »
I did some mad Hoopin and came up with this gem.

"7) Butler seems to be over his head and unless he develops a lot he will be a waste, completely lost on offense and not great on D." -http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=10156.msg89595#msg89595

It seems once people actually saw him play they came around to him rather early.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=10451.msg0#new

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 12:07:51 AM »
I did some mad Hoopin and came up with this gem.

"7) Butler seems to be over his head and unless he develops a lot he will be a waste, completely lost on offense and not great on D." -http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=10156.msg89595#msg89595

Glad Jimmy made me look smart...  ;)

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 09:55:58 AM »

That get's gold medal for the douchiest comment of the day. 

So what are we supposed to act like? And why? Who are we trying to impress? Its an internet message board. If someone is pumped about Jimmy putting up 18/9, then so be it. You, on the other hand, can play it cool and act like you expected it. That'll show 'em

I love Jimmy Butler. Couldn't be happier for him and happy for all of his success.

My comment was more about how some Marquette fans continue to be "surprised" by our program's success.

So for the record, let the applause for Jimmy be loud and strong. Love that kid.
We Are Marquette

codonnell

• Walk-On
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 11:47:04 AM »
My cousin owns a clothing company in Chicago and just released a JFB t-shirt. He's thinking of doing a mock up in gold too, for MU alumni if there's enough interest.

http://chitownclothing.bigcartel.com/product/jimmy-butler-t-shirt

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 10:15:02 PM »
Congrats to Jimmy tonight, notching his first double-double as a Bull. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 11:04:47 PM »
Like many, I wasn't overly impressed with Jimmy the first half of his sophomore year. But as his playing time increased and he became more comfortable with his role, and as he provided the rebounding and defense we so desperately needed, I wanted him in the game. I remember on more than one occasion actually yelling at the TV and begging Buzz to get Burke out and put Jimmy in.

Going into his junior year, I thought we had a nice frontcourt player to complement Lazar. It quickly became apparent that he was a superb player in his own right. Going into his senior year, I expected him to be a stud and he was. The single most surprising thing that happened his senior year was Quincy Pondexter going right by him for that bucket in the NCAAs; if only Jimmy had made believe Pondexter was Kobe!

I will admit, I didn't expect him to be as good an NBA player as he has become. It was cool listening to Marv Albert and Steve Kerr gushing over him the other night.

Obviously, Deng will get his starting job back when he's healthy, but Jimmy has proven worthy of the huge minutes he has received and Thibs will have a very pleasant problem trying to get Jimmy the playing time he deserves.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 11:19:35 PM »
Funny twitter back and forth between Butler and Juan after a fan sent a pic of her sign. Jimmy, the nice guy that he is, retweeted it without noticing.

♒Joo-lee™ ‏@JuJuuBeans
@mr_2eight1 made you a sign tonight but the camera never panned to me:( just thought you should see it. http://lockerz.com/s/279397104
 View photo

32m J. Anderson ‏@juanonjuan10
@mr_2eight1 why she spell your name wrong yo
Expand

24m Jimmy Butler ‏@mr_2eight1
@juanonjuan10 << I just saw it. Lol that's hilaious
 Hide conversation   Reply  Retweet  Favorite  More
11:51 PM - 25 Jan 13 · Details
Tweet text
Reply to @mr_2eight1 @juanonjuan10
Image will appear as a link
22m J. Anderson ‏@juanonjuan10
@mr_2eight1 lol thats OD!!!

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 02:43:50 AM »
Double-double tonight for Jimmy. Was that the first of his career?