'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SOTG  (Read 7625 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: SOTG
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2016, 09:13:19 AM »
I think HE might have been a little awestruck last night at the start.  But he corralled that nicely and put together a great second half.  I'm expecting a big game from him tonight.

Tonight's key might be Traci stopping Sumner without fouling.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2016, 09:26:30 AM »
That surprised me. I do not necessarily think they picked the wrong person, but I did think there were arguments for Wilson, Haanif, JJJ and Carter. Also, Ellenson turned the ball over in the last couple of minutes and missed a drive to the basket that he should of made.

I agree with all the arguments, but at game end there was only 18 hours left to recognize the stud.  So I crowned Henry.

BlindboyPatSmith

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2016, 09:38:14 AM »
Stunned Wilson's new 'do' didn't get any consideration

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2016, 10:04:23 AM »
This board can drive me crazy.  Henry plays 37 minutes.  Goes 27/14.  Zero fouls.  9/10 from the line.  50% shooting, 67% from 3. And people are obsessing over his four turnovers?  And that he looked bad the first 6-8 minutes of the game?  Who the f*ck cares?

Do you people realize how good this guy is?  I will take yesterday's performance every day of the week from Hank.  If he plays like that, we have a chance to win this thing. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2016, 10:22:38 AM »
This board can drive me crazy.  Henry plays 37 minutes.  Goes 27/14.  Zero fouls.  9/10 from the line.  50% shooting, 67% from 3. And people are obsessing over his four turnovers?  And that he looked bad the first 6-8 minutes of the game?  Who the f*ck cares?

Do you people realize how good this guy is?  I will take yesterday's performance every day of the week from Hank.  If he plays like that, we have a chance to win this thing.

Couldn't agree more. Henry has been transcendent as a Freshman to the tune of being one of the greatest the entire history of the Big East conference has ever seen. Yet it may be people in his own fanbase who have shown some of the strongest shrugging of shoulders regarding his performances.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2016, 10:29:10 AM »

For those giving props to Duane, once again his defense was so bad it negates everything he did on offense.  It is befuddling that a guy with his quickness can't keep anyone in front of him-- blow by after blow by.

Maybe it's late game fatigue, when it's easier to use the arms rather than the feet??
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2016, 10:31:40 AM »

+1000

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2016, 10:45:41 AM »

Amen brother Sultan. Amen
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2016, 10:49:55 AM »
Henry was great last night, but anyone saying he hasn't had some downs is stuck in old-timey statistics. His turnovers last night weren't an issue. You can parse whether he or JJ deserved it more, but the kid was efficient, good on the glass, and simply played a great game. What really encourages me, however, is his improvement since the start of Big East play.

Leaving out the non-conference Stetson game (where he was terrible despite a 12 points/11 rebounds double-double), looking at Henry's growth from the first eight conference games to the last 11 is stunning.
  • In the first 8 conference games, Henry had an offensive rating over 100 only once (Xavier).
  • In the last 11 conference games, Henry has had an offensive rating over 100 eight times.
  • In the first 8 conference games, Henry had an eFG% of 42.2%.
  • In the last 11 conference games, Henry has an eFG% of 55.0%.
  • In the first 8 conference games, Henry had a 3PFG% of 23.1%.
  • In the last 11 conference games, Henry has a 3PFG% of 38.2%.
  • Henry is also getting more total rebounds (10.0 to 9.8) so he is improving his efficiency without costing himself effectiveness on the boards.
  • Henry is getting more assists (1.6 to 1.2) so he is sharing the ball better.
He's still racking up double-doubles and doing all the things the basic stat lovers appreciated, but he has vastly improved when it comes to efficiency, shot selection, and doing all the little things that make those of us who enjoy advanced statistics happy. Basically, his game should be making every fan of Marquette basketball happy in the past 11 games.

Right now, Henry is playing at an All-American level. Granted, his poor performances rarely cost us wins (DePaul definitely, Georgetown and Creighton maybe, the rest we were just bad as a team and he didn't help) but going forward, we can beat almost anyone when he is on top of his game as he has been of late.

I don't expect a win tonight, but Henry has been good against Xavier already twice this season. If he can channel that again and we play good team ball, maybe our season and NCAA dreams keep going a little longer.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2016, 11:24:30 AM »

Right on!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2016, 03:13:19 PM »
HE and no doubt in my mind. I am very glad that after seeing him play early that I made to point to myself, and anyone who would listen, not to take him for granted. Too lazy to look back but I remember a poll on projected numbers for Henry and he blew by the poll.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 05:54:00 PM by Goose »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2016, 04:26:55 PM »
HE and no doubt in my mind. I am very that after seeing him player early that I made to point to myself, and anyone who would listen, not to take him for granted. Too lazy to look back but I remember a poll on projected numbers for Henry and he blew by the poll.

We had people predicting 6 and 3.

He even exceeded my expectations and I think I was looking for about 15 and 6 from him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback