Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's contract extended through 2021-2022 season per ESPN  (Read 17672 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Wojo's contract extended through 2021-2022 season per ESPN
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2015, 06:03:45 PM »
I agree his intent was to be 1 year and done, but I have been told that when the hip became an issue and he dropped out of the lottery projections his camp was reconsidering.  But they knew that he would have to sit out this year either way, because of the hip. Plus they had assurances that if he fell to GS at 30 they would take him. Still there was more than a little nervousness when the 1st rd was ending and he had not yet been picked.  He may be activated in January but I think we agree he wont see the court unless in garbage time. I do wish him the best.  My limited interaction with him was very positive.

Looney worked out for 14 teams, but not Golden State. Yes, he fell from the lottery based on team's apprehension with the hip, yet his agent got very encouraging feedback from Toronto, Portland, Boston, Phoenix, and Atlanta after the workouts prior to the draft. Of course, getting guaranteed money in the first rd. is huge. He has a very nice 3 year guaranteed deal with a team option on year 4. The hip injury essentially delayed him getting a shoe contract at this time. Floor time will be limited, certainly. Having said that, Kevon loves the environment he's in and the coaching staff loves his skill set. Remember, he won't turn 20 until February. As Draymond Green said, "I can work with this kid."
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2015, 07:01:34 PM »

Looney worked out for 14 teams, but not Golden State. Yes, he fell from the lottery based on team's apprehension with the hip, yet his agent got very encouraging feedback from Toronto, Portland, Boston, Phoenix, and Atlanta after the workouts prior to the draft. Of course, getting guaranteed money in the first rd. is huge. He has a very nice 3 year guaranteed deal with a team option on year 4. The hip injury essentially delayed him getting a shoe contract at this time. Floor time will be limited, certainly. Having said that, Kevon loves the environment he's in and the coaching staff loves his skill set. Remember, he won't turn 20 until February. As Draymond Green said, "I can work with this kid."

Does his family have any plans of moving out to NoCal?  You could do a lot worse than living out there, especially if when you aren't right in downtown SF but have an easy commute into it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2015, 07:15:08 PM »
Dang, I'm thinking of getting the bad word filter to replace Amin with the corrected Anim.
how about replacing Amin with OToule?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2015, 07:17:28 PM »
Good question, man. Actually, Mr. and Mrs. moved to Walnut Creek in Sept. While they don't live with Kevon, they're out there to look after things and join in livin' the dream. Their original plan was to spend his rookie season there. We'll see if that changes. Looney's older brother and sister still reside here, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2015, 11:35:39 PM »
I'm  happy with where the team is and yes, contracts don't mean much, but doesn't it make MUBB kind of look like a joke when we dole out the contract rewards for a half-season of success eating cupcakes?
Yes it reflects poorly on management.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2015, 03:15:02 PM »
Yes it reflects poorly on management.

4-15 in conference play & he gets the extension. Not sure what I make of it, makes sense for Wojo to jump on it though.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2015, 03:23:08 PM »
4-15 in conference play & he gets the extension. Not sure what I make of it, makes sense for Wojo to jump on it though.

I like to compare basketball contracts of head coaches with college football coaches. Th difference between the two sports is staggering. Clearly, the stakes are higher in football. The interesting thing is that firing a HC in football after year three and four is normal. Wojo gets many more years than that despite not achieving much. Les Miles was picked up by his players and walked off the field. They thought he was getting fired. The guy won a Championship and is bringing in a top recruiting class. Amazing. Basketball coaches get so much more leeway despite not having to manage 85 scholarships and 9 assistants. I just dont understand it.

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2015, 04:37:01 PM »
I like to compare basketball contracts of head coaches with college football coaches. Th difference between the two sports is staggering. Clearly, the stakes are higher in football. The interesting thing is that firing a HC in football after year three and four is normal. Wojo gets many more years than that despite not achieving much. Les Miles was picked up by his players and walked off the field. They thought he was getting fired. The guy won a Championship and is bringing in a top recruiting class. Amazing. Basketball coaches get so much more leeway despite not having to manage 85 scholarships and 9 assistants. I just dont understand it.

I disagree. There's a long list of college basketball coaches fired after 3-4 years.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2015, 05:41:14 PM »
I disagree. There's a long list of college basketball coaches fired after 3-4 years.

Name them. Cover that last 4 years. Start with P5 plus BE.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2015, 05:43:23 PM »
Cuonzo Martin - TN

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2015, 05:45:57 PM »
Zaire Wade?
Just saw him in a Gatorade commercial with his dad ---- > amateur status blown, going straight to the show (after a quick stop in China)

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2015, 06:03:39 PM »

I'm sure I'm missing some but these are within the last 7 or 8 years:

Dave Leitao - Virginia
Jeff Bzdelik - Wake Forest
James Johnson - Virginia Tech
Steve Donahue - Boston College
Greg McDermott - Iowa St.
Wayne Morgan - Iowa St.
Pat Knight - Texas Tech
Sean Sutton - Oklahoma St.
Tim Floyd - USC (cheated)
Kevin O'Neill - USC
Jim Boylen - Utah
Todd Lickliter - Iowa
Fred Hill - Rutgers
Mike Rice - Rutgers (player abuse)
Keno Davis - Providence
Bobby Gonzalez - Seton Hall
Billy Gillispie - Kentucky
Darrin Horn - South Carolina
John Pelphrey - Arkansas
Rick Ray - Mississippi St.
Tony Barbee - Auburn
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:37:20 PM by CornMeehl »

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2016, 08:51:23 AM »
Still waiting for win #1 under the new contract...
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2016, 08:59:10 AM »
I guess I don't understand the hang up with the contract.  Marquette is playing the long game with Wojo and feel he is doing a good job.  As Matt V. said, part of this is pretty routine stuff - extending him for recruiting reasons.  If Wojo doesn't improve, he will be bought out and everyone moves on.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2016, 09:29:16 AM »
And clearly they have boosters who are OK with this.  It's not like the money is coming out of the student activity fee.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2016, 09:53:38 AM »
One other thing.  This administration has generally been viewed very positively both in the President's office and in the AD's office.  I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt that this was the right thing to do.  If in retrospect it wasn't, well that may be one bad mark against the university leadership that has a number of good ones.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2016, 09:59:03 AM »
The timing of the contract extension was just absolutely ridiculous. Plus, why the rush to extend him at all? It’s not like his contract was expiring after this season and some recruits wanted more stability. The man hasn’t done squat for Marquette basketball yet and we’re already crowning him. Now if you want to crown his a$$ then crown his a$$!!!

Just win baby.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2016, 10:03:25 AM »
I guess I don't understand the hang up with the contract.  Marquette is playing the long game with Wojo and feel he is doing a good job.  As Matt V. said, part of this is pretty routine stuff - extending him for recruiting reasons.  If Wojo doesn't improve, he will be bought out and everyone moves on.

A coach's contract doesn't mean a whole lot. It's all about the perception. A coach in the last year of his deal is going to have a harder time recruiting than someone signed thru the entirety of a recruit's 4 years on campus (despite the fact that a coach can leave whenever he wants).

Isn't it also likely that MU increased Wojo's buyout in case another school comes calling before 2022?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2016, 10:10:32 AM »
The timing of the contract extension was just absolutely ridiculous. Plus, why the rush to extend him at all? It’s not like his contract was expiring after this season and some recruits wanted more stability. The man hasn’t done squat for Marquette basketball yet and we’re already crowning him. Now if you want to crown his a$$ then crown his a$$!!!

Just win baby.

In my mind this makes the contract a non-issue for recruiting and sets Wojo up to have no barriers to get the next wave of players.  Recruiting performance is clear of any excuse (or tactics by others) and the ability to dismiss him is not impacted. 

So to turn it around on you - it's not like we can't fire him in two years if things don't improve.  The powers that be are happy with the risk reward on the buy-outs.  So who cares.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2016, 05:30:27 PM »
I agree his intent was to be 1 year and done, but I have been told that when the hip became an issue and he dropped out of the lottery projections his camp was reconsidering.  But they knew that he would have to sit out this year either way, because of the hip. Plus they had assurances that if he fell to GS at 30 they would take him. Still there was more than a little nervousness when the 1st rd was ending and he had not yet been picked.  He may be activated in January but I think we agree he wont see the court unless in garbage time. I do wish him the best.  My limited interaction with him was very positive.

I guess I don't see the comparison. If Kevon fell out of the lottery due to his hip, he would come back to show he was healthy and truly a lottery pick. If HE falls out of the lottery as a frosh, I think it says more about his long-term prospects than how he actually performed. He would have a much harder time moving up the lottery as a sophomore since his potential goes down each year. Looney had a ton more incentive to come back if he thought he could get healthy.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2016, 08:13:08 PM »
This is why he was extended.  The players respond to him after tough losses.

The folks in a position to evaluate this see him every day.

feedback