Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's contract extended through 2021-2022 season per ESPN  (Read 17802 times)

slack00

• Starter
Re: Wojo's contract extended through 2021-2022 season per ESPN
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2015, 08:22:57 AM »
My guess is this is just a PR move more than anything. Looks good for potential recruits that Wojo will be around, comes on the heels of a 9-game winning streak so spirits around the program are high, and as many have mentioned, there's no real downside (he can still leave if he wants, he can still be fired if MU wants).

More than anything, though, I think it does reinforce that Wojo has a good relationship with the powers-that-be at Marquette. When Buzz was rolling, he signed a "new" deal annually. I'd be perfectly fine with Wojo doing the exact same thing. When you can walk into a recruit's house every year and say "you know I'll be there, I just signed a new contract" it gives the right impression.

Bingo.  Especially when recruits have no idea who will be the coach in Madison in even a couple of months.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2015, 08:47:35 AM »
Any idea of length of original contract?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2015, 08:50:53 AM »
True..... I'm also guessing Wojo wasn't pulling anything near what Buzz was (and still isn't), but this would represent a nice raise for him. I wonder if we even signed him for $1m/year initially.

I can guarantee we paid him well over $1M/year on his original contract.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2015, 09:04:41 AM »
Any idea of length of original contract?

I believe this added two years. Pretty sure he was signed through 2019-20, which would have been an initial 6-year deal.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2015, 09:08:24 AM »
I believe this added two years. Pretty sure he was signed through 2019-20, which would have been an initial 6-year deal.

Thanks. So sounds like Marquette is happy with hm and way things are going.  So not a big change adding back the tw years.  And contracts are....contracts.  This protects Wojo more than Marquette of course. But that's ok.  Great coach for us

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2015, 09:45:03 AM »
Bingo.  Especially when recruits have no idea who will be the coach in Madison in even a couple of months.

Picturing Wojo showing up at the Hauser's to see Sam and the new contract "accidentally" falls out of his briefcase in front of Joey.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2015, 09:50:21 AM »
If he wouldn't have played mind games with so many guys, he'd have gotten a 3-year extension.

Funny how the Fire Wojo a$$wipes have fallen silent. It's effen sad when a supposed "fan" can only come into a forum like this only when he/she wants to tear down the team.

The day I can't enjoy a young, improving team on a 9-game winning streak -- not to mention one that represents my alma mater with class -- is the day I stop watching sports.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2015, 09:52:19 AM »
I can guarantee we paid him well over $1M/year on his original contract.

That would make him one of the highest paid coaches with a 0 and 0 record in college basketball history.

Wojo did not sit on the Duke bench for 15 years waiting to get paid with his first contract as a head coach.  He took the MU job because he thought he could succeed.  The money comes later.

I think he made around $500k in his first contract.  Much more starting yesterday.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2015, 09:58:49 AM »
If he wouldn't have played mind games with so many guys, he'd have gotten a 3-year extension.

Huh?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2015, 10:01:06 AM »
My guess is this is just a PR move more than anything. Looks good for potential recruits that Wojo will be around, comes on the heels of a 9-game winning streak so spirits around the program are high, and as many have mentioned, there's no real downside (he can still leave if he wants, he can still be fired if MU wants).

More than anything, though, I think it does reinforce that Wojo has a good relationship with the powers-that-be at Marquette. When Buzz was rolling, he signed a "new" deal annually. I'd be perfectly fine with Wojo doing the exact same thing. When you can walk into a recruit's house every year and say "you know I'll be there, I just signed a new contract" it gives the right impression.

Especially 2 weeks after the only other good program in the state had their coach let go. UW-Madison isn't signing Gard, and they haven't announced a coaching search yet. Wojo extending his contract can serve to drive that point home with recruits.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2015, 10:02:43 AM »
That would make him one of the highest paid coaches with a 0 and 0 record in college basketball history.

Wojo did not sit on the Duke bench for 15 years waiting to get paid with his first contract as a head coach.  He took the MU job because he thought he could succeed.  The money comes later.

I think he made around $500k in his first contract.  Much more starting yesterday.

So you think we paid our new head basketball coach only $45K more than we paid an assistant coach the year before?

:o

Wojo was probably making roughly $500K as an assistant at Duke.  At one point (not sure what it currently is) we spent more on our basketball program than any other program in the country not named Duke.  We were not paying our head basketball coach $500K/year.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:08:09 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2015, 10:24:29 AM »
So you think we paid our new head basketball coach only $45K more than we paid an assistant coach the year before?

:o

Wojo was probably making roughly $500K as an assistant at Duke.  At one point (not sure what it currently is) we spent more on our basketball program than any other program in the country not named Duke.  We were not paying our head basketball coach $500K/year.
That would put him right between the Georgia St. and UAB coaches in the ranking of all NCAA tourney coaches pay from last year.
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

There's no way Wojo's not at $1M.  BTW - i'm surprised Mack was at $1.1 last year - assume X took care of that in his extension last April.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2015, 10:56:47 AM »

The difference between Buzz and Wojo is that Buzz always initiated the new deal. MU offered this without Wojo asking.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2015, 01:17:37 PM »
Huh?

I guess you missed the whole deal with several posters claiming Wojo played "mind games" with JJJ, Deonte and others.

This was me being hilarious. You can stop laughing hysterically any time you want.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2015, 01:25:42 PM »
Picturing Wojo showing up at the Hauser's to see Sam and the new contract "accidentally" falls out of his briefcase in front of Joey.
"Excuse me, sir, you dropped...waiiiiit, what's this?" [Wojo pretends to try to get it back before he starts reading it, but it's too late]

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2015, 02:59:07 PM »

I dunno. Doubt ya buy a $1,325,000 home in The Quon's Columbia Reserve on a mere $500k salary, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

79Warrior

• All American

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2015, 03:27:40 PM »

I dunno. Doubt ya buy a $1,325,000 home in The Quon's Columbia Reserve on a mere $500k salary, ai na?

Sure you can

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2015, 04:10:05 PM »
It was a good deal for both sides.  I wont share details because I don't have permission. But this was something both parties wanted.  Yes Wojo gets raise and well deserved and MU knows it will have the coach they (we) want  for next several years.   

By the way Amin is not disgruntled. Disappointed, but not frustrated.  He knows exactly what he needs to do, but increased playing time this season is not likely.  Playing a different role each year in HS has limited his ability to excel at one specific postion. Look for 7 players to get 95% of minutes.  Wally is 8Th, Heldt and Amin are 9-10 based on need/foul trouble.

If MU can land a graduate transfer Big man for next year look for MH to RS, especially if HE comes back.  I give HE 50/50 for next year.  Scouts are a little weary because HE is viewed as not being an uber athlete and want to see more games against higher competition.  If not a likely lottery pick I think it goes to 75/25.

Looney had to go because of his hip otherwise I think he stays one more year at UCLA.   Although getting a championship ring your rookie season and not playing wouldn't be that bad.

Go warriors.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2015, 04:17:22 PM »
If MU can land a graduate transfer Big man for next year look for MH to RS, especially if HE comes back.

I would have loved him to redshirt this year, if the roster would have allowed it.

On Henry, the concern is his ability to defend at the next level. But with a thin draft, a guy with his skill set is still likely a top 10 pick.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2015, 04:34:21 PM »
It was a good deal for both sides.  I wont share details because I don't have permission. But this was something both parties wanted.  Yes Wojo gets raise and well deserved and MU knows it will have the coach they (we) want  for next several years.   

By the way Amin is not disgruntled. Disappointed, but not frustrated.  He knows exactly what he needs to do, but increased playing time this season is not likely.  Playing a different role each year in HS has limited his ability to excel at one specific postion. Look for 7 players to get 95% of minutes.  Wally is 8Th, Heldt and Amin are 9-10 based on need/foul trouble.

If MU can land a graduate transfer Big man for next year look for MH to RS, especially if HE comes back.  I give HE 50/50 for next year.  Scouts are a little weary because HE is viewed as not being an uber athlete and want to see more games against higher competition.  If not a likely lottery pick I think it goes to 75/25.

Looney had to go because of his hip otherwise I think he stays one more year at UCLA.   Although getting a championship ring your rookie season and not playing wouldn't be that bad.

Go warriors.

Good info, but not entirely on da mark with Kevon. Hip was a non-issue in his decision. He went to college with the intent to declare after 1 year.
Rehab goin' well. Should be activated sometime in January, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorgnp

• Walk-On
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2015, 04:40:41 PM »

Go warriors.

Curious if you comment on how the overall relationship between Wojo and the university?  Still a great match 1.5 years in to it?  Is there a lot of behind the scenes momentum for the new athletic research facility and the like?  Future looking bright, in your view?

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2015, 05:04:51 PM »

Good info, but not entirely on da mark with Kevon. Hip was a non-issue in his decision. He went to college with the intent to declare after 1 year.
Rehab goin' well. Should be activated sometime in January, hey?

I agree his intent was to be 1 year and done, but I have been told that when the hip became an issue and he dropped out of the lottery projections his camp was reconsidering.  But they knew that he would have to sit out this year either way, because of the hip. Plus they had assurances that if he fell to GS at 30 they would take him. Still there was more than a little nervousness when the 1st rd was ending and he had not yet been picked.  He may be activated in January but I think we agree he wont see the court unless in garbage time. I do wish him the best.  My limited interaction with him was very positive.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2015, 05:11:49 PM »

Dang, I'm thinking of getting the bad word filter to replace Amin with the corrected Anim. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2015, 05:29:27 PM »

I don't mean this the wrong way, but you're out of your mind on this one.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.