'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dieng down to Marquette & Louisville  (Read 17764 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Dieng down to Marquette & Louisville
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2010, 02:19:24 PM »
One year ago .....

http://nathanblue.blogspot.com/2008/11/national-prep-showcase-day-three.html

Stoneridge's center Youssoupha Mbao has only been in the United States for around two months but numerous schools are beginning to actively recruit him. According to Coach Sy, Connecticut, Kentucky and USC is the short list, but the list will get longer before it gets shorter.

Plus this tidbit from July 2008.

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/2008/07/las-vegas-day-one.html

The French Hoops team is loaded with talent, most of the players coming from Africa. Youssoupha Mbao is a 7-foot-2 center who looked like the best of the bunch. He is ranked No. 10 among international players of his age by Draftexpress.com.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2010, 02:22:46 PM »
Completely different players in completely different situations.  If Samuels stays in the draft, that opens up a ton of PT at the 5 for L'ville.  E-Will was fighting for minutes last year with Lazar, Butler, and Fulce.  To use rankings and say that Williams was ranked higher and only played 2 min/game at MU last year which means that Dieng will play the same amount at L'ville next year is some deeply flawed logic.

Nice rationalization about Ewill.  This is not what we were saying about Ewill a year ago ...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=4011.0

Bingo. He is a player, and has the right combination of size, skill, and athleticism for the NBA game.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=9564.0

STUD.   Best player we've had at MU in half a decade. 

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=15791.0

I expect Erik Williams to play a "Jimmy Butler-type" role this year. I think he will struggle early on, and eventually find his niche as a scrapper down low, getting rebounds and scoring on put backs.

I think his minutes will be very matchup-based.  He (and Fulce) could prove very valuable with their versatility--if EWill can play quick enough, he could give 2guards in the conference fits. 
EWill may not get big minutes this season, and he may only contribute Butler-type D and rebounds, but he's going to be a good player in a season or two. 

I think he has the best skills out of all the freshmen to take it to the next level, the NBA.  I also believe that the JC and DJO injuries have opened up playing time for Williams and if DJO is not healthy enough to play major minutes until the Big East conference slate, that could be enough time for Williams to carve out a niche and get consistent minutes the whole year.  Much like how injuries allowed Butler to grow as a player but with much greater upside as Williams has way more raw talent than Butler.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=14703.0

I see good things for him, and very athletic and talented in the video!

The thing I'm most excited about him is his wingspan. Those arms are ridiculous.

If he hits threes at a 35 - 40% clip he'll be unguardable.

I have a feeling that he will be the most productive out of him, maymon, and cadougan. Just seems that he works harder and has more talent based upon what I have heard.

I've been thinking the same thing as I've seen highlights from the incoming class.  He just seems like the most complete recruit coming in.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=11738.0

I don't see how Williams doesn't get 20 minutes a game next year.  We will be young and green.  I think it will be fun watching the next generation thrown into the fire... EWill, Maymon, June... People keep saying Buycks is the real deal... hope so!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2010, 02:25:44 PM »
Let me be clear in what I'm saying above.  With the exception of Cothron (and I'm still not sure about him) I do not see Deing, Noreen or Gardner as big additions to next year's team.  They are all marginal recruits that would see limited playing time.  Maybe in two or three years they could develop, but we could also recruit over them next year as well.

Deing is no loss, Louisville has their Mbao.  Let's see how they develop him for the 2013 season.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2010, 02:32:09 PM »
Deing is no loss, Louisville has their Mbao.  Let's see how they develop him for the 2013 season.
I hope you're right but I envision another scenario where DJO or Buycks or (insert one of our guards here) takes the ball to the hoop only to have it rammed back down their throat by Mr. Dieng...just like any number of occasions over the last 4-5 years. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2010, 02:39:35 PM »
Let me be clear in what I'm saying above.  With the exception of Cothron (and I'm still not sure about him) I do not see Deing, Noreen or Gardner as big additions to next year's team.  They are all marginal recruits that would see limited playing time.  Maybe in two or three years they could develop, but we could also recruit over them next year as well.

Deing is no loss.

We disagree on Dieng.  I don't see prognostications from Draftexpress and interest from solid programs, and a comment that he caused Fitzgerald (admittedly a 2009 top 100 type) some trouble scoring around the rim as being comparable to the game Dieng had against some of the best of 2010's recruits.  He'll be very good, very soon in my opinion.  In fact, I think he might be a good reason for Samuels to stay in the NBA draft.  Dieng isn't going to put Samuels on the bench, but I think that he might be getting more minutes per game than Samuels by the end of the season which would not help Samuels draft position next year.

I can see Noreen having a Novak type first year, not starting being more of a situational scorer off the bench.  He will be a different type of player than anyone currently on the team, and that would provide Buzz with the chance to provide a different look on occasion.

I see Gardner having a Mbao type year 1, making little contribution while he gets his body prepared for the rigors of the BE.  Down the road should he and Mbao both be here I can see them both contributing at the center position in different ways.  Mbao defending when you need a shot blocker, Gardner when you need that big body down low.  I don't foresee Mbao ever providing anything more than a very occasional junk basket and offensive rebounds on offense.  Gardner, however, seems to me to have some nifty footwork and the ability to score with all kinds of off balance shots near the basket.  I think he'll (eventually) be the type of player that causes teams to pack defenders down low.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:42:43 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2010, 02:54:19 PM »
Perhaps he saw Otule in the scrimmage and decided his playing time would be limited here.  (just being optimistic)
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

TJ

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »
He'll be very good, very soon in my opinion.  In fact, I think he might be a good reason for Samuels to stay in the NBA draft.  Dieng isn't going to put Samuels on the bench, but I think that he might be getting more minutes per game than Samuels by the end of the season which would not help Samuels draft position next year.
See 84 - the unknown is always better than a known quantity.  It seems Louisville's top rebounder and scorer isn't going to be able to beat out a freshman by mid-season, so the best place for him is obviously in the NBA.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2010, 03:09:36 PM »
See 84 - the unknown is always better than a known quantity.  It seems Louisville's top rebounder and scorer isn't going to be able to beat out a freshman by mid-season, so the best place for him is obviously in the NBA.

Did I get carried away?  Probably, especially since Dieng and Samuels should be able to play together with Samuels (I'd think) moving over to the power forward position.  By February, I see Dieng getting 20 minutes a game.  My experience with this board leads me to believe that if he doesn't, I will be reminded of my prediction.  If he does, I probably won't hear a peep.

BTW, when I say "by February" I mean that starting in February he'll be getting his 20 minutes for the remainder of the season. 

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2010, 03:26:13 PM »
Did I get carried away?  Probably, especially since Dieng and Samuels should be able to play together with Samuels (I'd think) moving over to the power forward position.  By February, I see Dieng getting 20 minutes a game.  My experience with this board leads me to believe that if he doesn't, I will be reminded of my prediction.  If he does, I probably won't hear a peep.

BTW, when I say "by February" I mean that starting in February he'll be getting his 20 minutes for the remainder of the season. 

I think you seriously overestimate the kid.  Could he be good?  Yes.  Did he have one great game which you are judging him on?  Yes.

I just don't see this as a big loss at all.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2010, 04:21:33 PM »
By February, I see Dieng getting 20 minutes a game.  My experience with this board leads me to believe that if he doesn't, I will be reminded of my prediction.

How many Freshman big men get 20+ minutes in the Big East?  Further, how many get more than 20+ minutes that are not McDonald's AA?  You have any idea how incredibly rare it is for an unknown foreign player to step in to a program like Louisville and get 20 minutes/game by February.  Other than Andrew Gaze 21 years ago for Seton Hall, tell me how many foreign big men were playing 20+ minutes a game by February of their freshmen year?  I don't believe Greg Monroe got 20 minutes/game last year (not foreign but a McDonald AA and arguably a top 5 recruit).  Thabeet certainly did not, Mutombo did not at G-town his freshmen year.  

Deing is not Patrick Ewing.  To suggest he can produce Ewing type numbers means you think he would have been the greatest recruit signed in MU history.  You think he has more upside than Lucas, Lee or Rivers.

3 minutes a game ... 5 when he stop embarrassing himself on the court.   He'll be a decent player his senior year.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 04:33:36 PM by AnotherMU84 »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2010, 04:32:12 PM »
How many Freshman big men get 20+ minutes in the Big East?  Further, how many get more than 20+ minutes that are not McDonald's AA?  You have any idea how incredibly rare it is for an unknown foreign player to step in to a program like Louisville and get 20 minutes/game by February.  Other than Andrew Gaze 21 years ago for Seton Hall, tell me how many foreign big men were playing 20+ minutes a game by February of their freshmen year?  I don't believe Greg Monroe got 20 minutes/game last year (not foreign but a McDonald AA and arguably a top 5 recruit).  Thabeet certainly did not, Mutombo did not at G-town his freshmen year.  

Deing is not Patrick Ewing.  To suggest he can produce Ewing type numbers means you think he would have been the greatest recruit signed in MU history.  You think he has more upside than Lucas, Lee or Rivers.

Who is Patrick Ewing?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2010, 10:35:41 PM »
If Samuels stays in the draft, that opens up a ton of PT at the 5 for L'ville.  

I wonder if Deing is having buyers remorse.

Should I stay or should I go?
With so many early entries, the math just doesn't add up

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/columns/story?columnist=gottlieb_doug&id=5150960

Return to school

Samardo Samuels, So., Louisville: Samuels is a good scorer who does not pass and is undersized down low. His game is still coming around, and Pitino generally makes his posts better all-around players by the end of their careers. Stay at Louisville and get your "Yum" on.

---
If Samardo follows this advice, Deing better get use to sitting.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2010, 11:42:58 AM »
"How many Freshman big men get 20+ minutes in the Big East? ...  Thabeet certainly did not"

Thabeet actually did get some meaningful PT as a freshman.  Although he was very raw his entire freshman season, and only averaged 6 points and 6 rebounds a game, he played over 24 minutes a game.

http://connecticut.rivals.com/bviewplayer.asp?Player=76556
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:56:23 AM by oldwarrior81 »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2010, 05:47:41 PM »
Who is Patrick Ewing?

Was this meant to be teal?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2010, 01:13:43 PM »
Was this meant to be teal?

It was meant to be a smoke screen to allow me to flee from a discussion I had completely lost interest in.