Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN Some info on NBC offer BE and insight into a 14 member conference, C-7 +7  (Read 8570 times)

Pakuni

• All American
I stand by a Holy Cross suggestion, if they committed to hoops. Boston TV market.

Holy Cross gets the Boston TV market like Pepperdine gets the LA market, i. e. it doesn't.

Avenue Commons

• All American
Holy Cross gets the Boston TV market like Pepperdine gets the LA market, i. e. it doesn't.
Understood. My point was (and is) that they could commit to hoops a la SLU, Creighton, Dayton, etc and make a mark. They've chosen not too, so they can't possibly fit. But I really believe they could if they wanted to.

No less than Bill Simmons agrees. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070328
We Are Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Understood. My point was (and is) that they could commit to hoops a la SLU, Creighton, Dayton, etc and make a mark. They've chosen not too, so they can't possibly fit. But I really believe they could if they wanted to.

No less than Bill Simmons agrees. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070328

Holy Cross was an original invitee to the Big East when it was being formed, and turned it down.  They made the decision then to be who they are now, and I don't think that they have looked back.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Benny B

• All American
Wow... some potentially big news - yes, bigger than who and how many - that would have a huge impact on the C7, and we're discussing who and how many?  (My apologies in advance if there's another thread on this already.)

Riddle me this... what happens if ESPN matches NBC's offer?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

shoothoops

• All American
Actually, they're second, but that totally convinces me to ignore the fact they've had two tournament appearances and one tourney win since 2000.

I'm just having some fun here.  I'll say that first, it's just a discussion.  But if you go back 20 years, a nice round number, it's interesting what you will find.  In the past 20 years:

SLU has 5 NCAA appearances.  That is more than DePaul (2), Seton Hall (4), Providence (4), and it is one less than St. John's.  It's more than both Dayton (4), Richmond (4), slightly less than VCU (6) and Creighton (8).

SLU has an NCAA caliber team this year and next year as well.  
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:10:19 PM by shoothoops »

🏀

• All American
I'm just having some fun here.  I'll say that first, it's just a discussion.  But if you go back 20 years, a nice round number, it's interesting what you will find.  In the past 20 years:

SLU has 5 NCAA appearances.  That is more than DePaul (2), Seton Hall (4), Providence (4), and it is one less than St. John's.  It's more than both Dayton (4), Richmond (4), slightly less than VCU (6) and Creighton (8).

Fixed. That isn't relevant, they are already in the league.

Pakuni

• All American

I could live with St. Louis over Dayton or Richmond, but I was replying to a post that put St. Louis on par with Butler, Xavier and Creighton.
And, a PTM points out, what anyone is to DePaul, Seton Hall, Providence and St. John's is irrelevant.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:32:19 PM by Pakuni »

We R Final Four

• All American

SHU, Prov, SJU and DeP havent done squat (even collectively) for many years but no one criticizes their inclusion into the new conference.

Little Murs did--well, kinda.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=35563.msg440982#msg440982

shoothoops

• All American
I could live with St. Louis over Dayton or Richmond, but I was replying to a post than put St. Louis on par with Butler, Xavier and Creighton.
And, a PTM points out, what anyone is to DePaul, Seton Hall, Providence and St. John's is irrelevant.

I agree that the results have been better for VCU and Creighton than SLU, but it appears based on your posts that I wouldn't put the distance as great as you do.  Creighton hasn't made it to the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tournament in the past 20 years.  VCU has done it once. (a big once) There's also plenty of value analyzing where a team, in this example SLU fits in with the current 7.  I don't say these xyz teams are already in, and therefore are not part of the discussion.  If anything it shows the perhaps not so great strength of some of the C7.  I understand that those 7 are in for better or worse.  I'm all for the C7 getting the best teams and programs possible, regardless of geography, religious affiliation, and/or public/private.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:39:25 PM by shoothoops »

feedback