Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How to lose Seton Hall  (Read 8499 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
How to lose Seton Hall
« on: January 18, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
Many have spoken about not being excited about having Seton Hall in the conference.  If Seton Hall is ever not going to be in our conference, now is the time to do it, since it much easier to not invite someone to join you then to push them out once they are in your conference.  Not inviting them, however, comes at a cost.  Not bringing along seven teams from the old conference is required to get the automatic NCAA invite, for example.

Here's another possibility.  Why not listen to UConn's request to join the new conference?  That would solve the seven members from the old conference problem, and the profile of men's and women's basketball in the new conference would be much higher.  Also, UConn is less likely to jump to the ACC than other football schools due to the apparent opposition of Boston College to UConn's joining the ACC.  The TV viewership of the new league would be vastly improved, as well.  Having a public institution will make the new league seem less, well, parochial.

New conferences aren't built every day, let's put some creative thinking into making this one.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
Re: How to lose Seton Hall
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 01:26:33 PM »
Never going to happen.  And UConn has completely denied having interest in the C7.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 01:30:10 PM »
Interesting idea if you want to get rid of Seton Hall. Although, UCONN would only be here short term and would eventually leave. The last three invites would be Dayton, VCU, and SLU with one of them replacing Seton Hall's spot. So, the only thing that would be different long term is the new conference would include SLU and not Seton Hall. I'm not sure that's worth it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 01:32:51 PM »
I'd much rather get rid of DePaul than Seton Hall.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »

Both schools are in strong recruiting areas. They just need to bring in shady coaches and they'll be competitive again. I say that only about 25% in jest.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
Never going to happen.  And UConn has completely denied having interest in the C7.

A lot of schools have denied rumors in the era of realignment.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 01:48:53 PM »

+1

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 01:51:19 PM »
A Jersey Guy just published an update 5 minutes ago.  He mentioned this:

"Cincinnati and UConn are still hopeful they get calls from other BCS conferences, but the odds of joining the Catholic 7 are fading as long as the current Big East football remains solvent."

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 01:52:07 PM »

Just like Chip Kelly denied any interest in the Eagles. Denial is the new "I'm looking at all of my options"
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 01:53:17 PM »
Just like Chip Kelly denied any interest in the Eagles. Denial is the new "I'm looking at all of my options"

I don't either side wants it to happen...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 05:21:20 PM »
You would drop DePaul before you drop Seton Hall. We are 4-0 this year and if you want some perspective on that, DePaul may not of won more than four games total in the four most recent years. Seton Hall is not the problem. They probably also have a better record than Providence over the last four years and last year won more games than Villanova did.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 05:25:22 PM »
No one is kicking anybody out. Loyalty in a conference is nice to have..
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 05:33:19 PM »
Many have spoken about not being excited about having Seton Hall in the conference.  If Seton Hall is ever not going to be in our conference, now is the time to do it, since it much easier to not invite someone to join you then to push them out once they are in your conference.  Not inviting them, however, comes at a cost.  Not bringing along seven teams from the old conference is required to get the automatic NCAA invite, for example.

Here's another possibility.  Why not listen to UConn's request to join the new conference?  That would solve the seven members from the old conference problem, and the profile of men's and women's basketball in the new conference would be much higher.  Also, UConn is less likely to jump to the ACC than other football schools due to the apparent opposition of Boston College to UConn's joining the ACC.  The TV viewership of the new league would be vastly improved, as well.  Having a public institution will make the new league seem less, well, parochial.

New conferences aren't built every day, let's put some creative thinking into making this one.

horrible post.

Not sure what "many people" means. I haven't heard any. I'm a big fan of the Hall.  There are many people in South Orange who could care less about MU and Milwaukee

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 05:36:27 PM »
Yeah, well the world needs ditch diggers too. --Judge Smails

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 05:37:13 PM »
Anybody who wants DePaul out of the conference is a RumDumb.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 06:22:05 PM »
Anybody who wants DePaul out of the conference is a RumDumb.

Yeah.  Don't be silly heads. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 06:52:46 PM »
Yeah.  Don't be silly heads. 

Could care less they are in Chicago or anything of that ilk. I look strictly at on the court results. DePaul has been at best a low major the last several years. I personally have no room for garbage like that being associated with MU. It just drags them down, and hurts MU's image. DePaul needs to drop down top a conference they can legitimately compete in...like the WIAC or something. Then again, UW-Whitewater would probably take them behind the woodshed.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 06:59:53 PM »
I fail to see the benefit of inviting members that we know have absolutely no interest in staying, unless you are going to demand a $50 million exit fee and 5 year waiting period.  Why start a conference with schools of that nature which could lead to more instability right from the start?  Talk about getting off on the wrong foot.  It's bad for the television angle, it's bad from league credibility angle, it's bad (very bad) perception wise.

What is the upside?  I'm sure someone will say they bring great basketball, tradition, brand, etc.  OK, and when that leaves, which it will, don't they take those things with them?  If I'm brokering the deal from a TV side, why am I going to give a bunch of money to a conference that has members looking to leave minute one due to their football programs?  If I'm going to invest all this money into a conference to help be an anchor for my programming, I don't want that conference diluted, even if I get a rebate on what I spent if they bolt.  I need this conference not only strong, but stable.

Sorry, from where I sit and the people I've spoken to, we don't get the UCONN or UC thing at all from both a tv or conference angle.  It would have a short term benefit only which could easily be drowned out by negative aspects of one or two of them leaving.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:20:23 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 07:01:25 PM »
Could care less they are in Chicago or anything of that ilk. I look strictly at on the court results. DePaul has been at best a low major the last several years. I personally have no room for garbage like that being associated with MU. It just drags them down, and hurts MU's image. DePaul needs to drop down top a conference they can legitimately compete in...like the WIAC or something. Then again, UW-Whitewater would probably take them behind the woodshed.

I think that calling DePaul low major overstates things.  Their record is hurt by being in the Big East, as high a conference as any since they joined it.  I remember being at a Marquette - DePaul game in Chicago two years or so ago that DePaul won.  More to the point, I can't remember anytime since they've been in the league that DePaul has dropped below 150 in RPI.  (or risen above 100 RPI)  That doesn't sound low major to me.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 07:05:26 PM »
Why would you want to kick a team out from the 3rd largest media market in the US? This new conference needs this market and the New Jersey area. The more markets we are in the better it is for recruiting.

So by some people's reasoning almost everyone should be kicked out of the SEC because they bring down Kentucky. So ridiculous.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 07:13:06 PM »
I fail to see the benefit of inviting members that we know have absolutely no interest in staying, unless you are going to demand a $50 million exit fee and 5 year waiting period.  Why start a conference with schools of that nature which could lead to more instability right from the start?  Talk about getting off on the wrong foot.  It's bad for the television angle, it's bad from league credibility angle, it's bad (very bad) perception wise.

What is the upside?  I'm sure someone will say they bring great basketball, tradition, brand, etc.  OK, and when that leaves, which it will, don't they take those things with them?  If I'm brokering the deal from a TV side, why am I going to give a bunch of money to a conference that has members looking to leave minute one due to their football programs?  If I'm going to invest all this money into a conference to help be an anchor or programming, I don't want that conference diluted, even if I get a rebate on what I spent.  I need this conference not only strong, but stable.

Sorry, from where I sit and the people I've spoken to, we don't get the UCONN or UC thing at all from both a tv or conference angle.  It would have a short term benefit only which could easily be drowned out by negative aspects of one or two of them leaving.

I was trying to think of a sneaky way to keep Seton Hall out of the league.  I'd much rather have VCU.  But, not inviting Seton Hall in favor of VCU had the problem of leaving the new league without seven members from the old league being involved in the new one.  When UConn left which I'm beginning to believe would be a long way down the road -not because they won't want to, but because they won't get an invite to somewhere else anytime soon- then they could be replaced with VCU at a time when maintaining the an original seven from the old league would no longer be a concern.

Pragmatically, I am well aware that the chance this idea has is only slightly better than DePaul's chances of winning the NCAA title this year.  I just thought it would be an interesting thought to float out there.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 07:23:12 PM »
My comment really wasn't specifically to you LittleMurs.  Several others posted thoughts about adding them and there was a poll on here last week about UCONN and UC.  I just fail to see the benefit unless there is a major major set of strings attached to it.

Understand you on DePaul and Seton Hall.  Those guys are going to have to take the money they get from this deal and make statement hires most likely.  They have got to make commitments that are worthy of the tv money that has been talked about.  If not, they could be relegating themselves to doldrums for another 10 year cycle if not longer.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 07:44:22 PM »
Why would you want to kick a team out from the 3rd largest media market in the US? This new conference needs this market and the New Jersey area. The more markets we are in the better it is for recruiting.

So by some people's reasoning almost everyone should be kicked out of the SEC because they bring down Kentucky. So ridiculous.

The reason that I'd want to kick them out is because I doubt their commitment to making their men's basketball team first rate.  They are in one of the elite areas for recruiting talent as well as a top league and they are still patching their team together with transfers and foreign players.  I figured that another plus of replacing them with UConn would be east coast and specifically New York area market coverage.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 07:48:45 PM »
People need to stop trying to dump conference members. We're in this together. Everything runs in cycles. There were many long stretches where we would have been voted off the island had we been in the Big East. DePaul has been great, not so good, very good, passable and not good again. Seton Hall played for a national title 12 years more recently than we did. Seton Hall, DePaul and Providence are the least of our problems.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 07:53:26 PM »
horrible post.

Not sure what "many people" means. I haven't heard any. I'm a big fan of the Hall.  There are many people in South Orange who could care less about MU and Milwaukee

"I'm a big fan of the Hall."

Can you elaborate?  It would be reassuring to hear some positives about the Hall.

"There are many people in South Orange who could care less about MU and Milwaukee"

No hurt feelings here.  Judging by the Hall's average home attendance of 6,941 last year (in an unusually good year for the team), they feel the same way about the Hall.  Hopefully, South Orange residents could get excited about the league having St. John's and UConn.

feedback