[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane Wilson Tweet  (Read 111727 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Duane Wilson Tweet
« Reply #225 on: April 21, 2016, 11:02:07 AM »
When he signed, Henry promised Wojo that he'd be in school for both of Wally's remaining seasons of eligibility. When Henry had a big season and saw the dollar signs, Wojo told Wally to talk some sense into him and remind him of the promise he had made to both of them. Instead, Wally encouraged Henry to follow his dream so Henry went back on his word, bolted for the NBA and now Wojo is telling Wally to take a hike too.

Keep in mind that this is only one account of a story that I just completely fabricated so take that for what it's worth.

I won't believe it until it's on Twitter.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #226 on: April 21, 2016, 11:04:14 AM »
Reinhardt or Rowsey.  Not saying that they won't be good players, or better than Wally, but neither of those guys play a position of need on this team and I hate the idea of taking a guy that will necessitate that you Pole-axe someone else.

So you would take an inferior player because promises may or may not have been made?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #227 on: April 21, 2016, 11:04:31 AM »
When he signed, Henry promised Wojo that he'd be in school for both of Wally's remaining seasons of eligibility. When Henry had a big season and saw the dollar signs, Wojo told Wally to talk some sense into him and remind him of the promise he had made to both of them. Instead, Wally encouraged Henry to follow his dream so Henry went back on his word, bolted for the NBA and now Wojo is telling Wally to take a hike too.

Keep in mind that this is only one account of a story that I just completely fabricated so take that for what it's worth.

I don't think there's any evidence of your scenario.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #228 on: April 21, 2016, 11:07:12 AM »

The evidence is right there in his post....someone on a message board said it = true
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: What's really fair?
« Reply #229 on: April 21, 2016, 11:13:02 AM »
I think this is where I am at on this issue. If it does end up being Wally leaving, it's hard to blame Wojo to ask for 100% focus. If some of you forgot, various members of the board were asking for Wojo's head only a month or so ago for team performance. You want 100% from Wojo...why is it unfair for him to ask the same from his players?

Again, it's speculation. But if that's the issue, I side with the program first.

I am not saying necessarily that it is the wrong business decision. But it certainly makes the Wally play look very cynical.

Death on call

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #230 on: April 21, 2016, 11:16:37 AM »
The evidence is right there in his post....someone on a message board said it = true

Right.  So serious question eng, I suspect you and Joe try to take your journalistic responsibility seriously. You and I have discussed rumors that never made the podcast.  That's good I think.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #231 on: April 21, 2016, 11:16:42 AM »
Just win, baby!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #232 on: April 21, 2016, 11:23:04 AM »

SOMEONE NEED TO ALERT PAINT TOUCHES!!!!

What did Mike Lovell Tweet and when did he Tweet it???

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #233 on: April 21, 2016, 11:23:20 AM »
Keefe

I agree on how things look if Wally is shown the door. I understand the long term plan and my gut says Wojo is to clean to not do things the right way. Only way that would happen, IMO, is if he is feeling heat to win. At this point the only pressure would be his own competitive pressure I would think.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #234 on: April 21, 2016, 11:31:52 AM »
I won't believe it until it's on MIKE LOVELL'S Twitter.

Death on call

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #235 on: April 21, 2016, 11:32:12 AM »

You're right. There's not...or is there?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #236 on: April 21, 2016, 11:33:11 AM »
Reinhardt or Rowsey.  Not saying that they won't be good players, or better than Wally, but neither of those guys play a position of need on this team and I hate the idea of taking a guy that will necessitate that you Pole-axe someone else.

I can understand that for Reinhardt, but why Rowsey.  It's better to cut a kid who you also offered a scholarship to? 

Not directed at you specifically, but I can understand not liking this practice in college bball (both the kids leaving more often and the cutting), but I just don't understand why a WE situation is somehow worse.  If you really don't like this, you probably should have been outraged and stopped following MU Bball in the early to mid 2000s

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #237 on: April 21, 2016, 11:35:26 AM »
Keefe

I agree on how things look if Wally is shown the door. I understand the long term plan and my gut says Wojo is to clean to not do things the right way. Only way that would happen, IMO, is if he is feeling heat to win. At this point the only pressure would be his own competitive pressure I would think.

Roger that, Goose. Wojo isn't under any pressure today from the people who cut his checks.

There is more to this story - if there is a story. As I said, Wojo is running a business and this would be a correct business decision. But he better be prepared for the PR sh1t storm.

Death on call

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #238 on: April 21, 2016, 11:38:18 AM »
Roger that, Goose. Wojo isn't under any pressure today from the people who cut his checks.

There is more to this story - if there is a story. As I said, Wojo is running a business and this would be a correct business decision. But he better be prepared for the PR sh1t storm.

I think he is under more pressure this year than last...and it only gets worse the further you get from the tourney....Wojo knows this for sure.

You never know what is going to happen - kids leave | get injured | bad luck -- whatever. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #239 on: April 21, 2016, 11:40:59 AM »
Not directed at you specifically, but I can understand not liking this practice in college bball (both the kids leaving more often and the cutting), but I just don't understand why a WE situation is somehow worse.  If you really don't like this, you probably should have been outraged and stopped following MU Bball in the early to mid 2000s

For me, the reason the WE situation would hypothetically be worse is strictly because of Henry. If the worst-case scenario here proves to be true, it feels like Wally was brought in strictly as a carrot to dangle in front of Henry, then as soon as he was no longer useful (read: Henry left), he was tossed aside.

That isn't the same as simply inching a player out on their own merits. If Henry had instead declared he would be staying at Marquette for his senior season, does anyone think Wally would possibly be in this situation? Had Henry stayed, we'd have two Ellensons on the team next year and this entire discussion would be non-existent.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #240 on: April 21, 2016, 11:46:34 AM »
For me, the reason the WE situation would hypothetically be worse is strictly because of Henry. If the worst-case scenario here proves to be true, it feels like Wally was brought in strictly as a carrot to dangle in front of Henry, then as soon as he was no longer useful (read: Henry left), he was tossed aside.

That isn't the same as simply inching a player out on their own merits. If Henry had instead declared he would be staying at Marquette for his senior season, does anyone think Wally would possibly be in this situation? Had Henry stayed, we'd have two Ellensons on the team next year and this entire discussion would be non-existent.

So instead of subtly reminding you of what CBBall is all about, it is more in your face... I get it.   Just remember this is issue we are discussing is far from the real crimes of the sport (fake classes, paying players, paying handlers, prostitutes).  Look I get the uneasiness, but this is the sport....if this is the event that makes you angry you may want another sport to follow or be more of an advocate to change the way it is managed.

Edit: also, I think the scenario you paint is the worse case scenario of what potentially happened.  We Don't know. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:50:17 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

onepost

• All American
« Reply #241 on: April 21, 2016, 11:49:43 AM »
I think it's a truly fascinating, delicate scenario.  With a ton of questions to consider.  Are people more (potentially) upset that, morally, Wojo would shamelessly cut Wally when the sole reason he's here jumped ship 2 weeks prior or just about the backlash an upset Ellenson family (re: Henry) would have on recruiting?  I personally would answer the latter.  We've seen how engaged MUBB alumni have been awesome for the program, and you would hope that the best player since Wade would have much outward love for the program and coach.  And you don't want to be viewed as a shady salesman that could be used against you from other coaches when you haven't built a cache like Cal.

But from strictly a basketball standpoint it's a no brainer.  Gill or Young would be a certain upgrade over Wally and as has been said on here ad nauseum, Wojo is in win now mode.  So in that regard I don't blame Wojo one bit, especially when said player has marginal talent and other interests that keep him from improving at basketball for months at a time.  He's coaching for his job and sees the best way to succeed.  Is 1 year of Gill and/or 4 years of Young and having some backlash more important than 1 year of Wally while keeping your prized NBA product and his family happy?  At this point can Wojo afford to be seen as a great guy at the expense of bringing in talent to help us win?  That's something many would truly go back and forth on, myself included.

If it is Sandy getting axed (with 2 prospects, who knows) does anyone even bat an eye?  Or just because he's Henry's brother do people care about how his tenure here is handled and how people perceive it.  Personally I agree that I would have passed on Reinhardt and just focused on bringing in a big at that point, but Wojo is doing all he can to assemble the best team possible and I am 100% behind him for that.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:53:07 AM by onepostwarrior »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2016, 11:51:36 AM »
So instead of subtly reminding you of what CBBall is all about, it is more in your face... I get it.   Just remember this is issue we are discussing is far from the real crimes of the sport (fake classes, paying players, paying handlers, prostitutes).  Look I get the uneasiness, but this is the sport....if this is the event that makes you angry you may want another sport to follow.

Edit: also, I think the scenario you paint is the worse case scenario of what potentially happened.  We Don't know.

It absolutely is, and I'm withholding judgment until we have a better picture of what is going down. But I would definitely take issue with using a kid as a catspaw just to land his brother.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »
I think it's a truly fascinating, delicate scenario.  With a ton of questions to consider.  Are people more (potentially) upset that, morally, Wojo would shamelessly cut Wally when the sole reason he's here jumped ship 2 weeks prior or just about the backlash an upset Ellenson family (re: Henry) would have on recruiting?  I personally would answer the latter.  We've seen how engaged MUBB alumni have been awesome for the program, and you would hope that the best player since Wade would have much outward love for the program and coach.  And you don't want to be viewed as a shady salesman that could be used against you from other coaches when you haven't built a cache like Cal.

But from strictly a basketball standpoint it's a no brainer.  Gill or Young would be a certain upgrade over Wally and as has been said on here ad nauseum, Wojo is in win now mode.  So in that regard I don't blame Wojo one bit, especially when said player has marginal talent and other interests that keep him from improving at basketball for months at a time.  He's coaching for his job and sees the best way to succeed.  Is 1 year of Gill and/or 4 years of Young and having some backlash more important than 1 year of Wally while keeping your prized NBA product and his family happy?  That's something many would truly go back and forth on, myself included.

If it is Sandy getting axed (with 2 prospects, who knows) does anyone even bat an eye?  Or just because he's Henry's brother do people care about how his tenure here is handled and how people perceive it.  Personally I agree that I would have passed on Reinhardt and just focused on bringing in a big at that point, but Wojo is doing all he can to assemble the best team possible and I am 100% behind him for that.

Difference is I think Cohen has options/eligibility. Does Wally have that?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2016, 11:57:42 AM »
And if Wojo "coaching for his job" means "pulling a scholarship from a senior," then I hope he fails at his job.

But as others have said, it is very likely not a black and white scenario.  We will just have to see how it plays out.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2016, 12:03:22 PM »
I can understand that for Reinhardt, but why Rowsey.  It's better to cut a kid who you also offered a scholarship to? 

You're correct and specifically in this instance Reinhardt is the guy that makes the least sense to me.  My point was to not take them (Rowsey or Reinhardt) in the first place if it meant you were going to have to dump one of your current players.  The point was not to dump one current player vs. another.  Especially don't do that if you're bringing in guys where you don't have a specific need.  We created a shortage of bigs by signing redundant wings and I hate the fact that we're addressing it by dumping one of those wings.

I have no idea how Wally feels about all of this or even if it is Wally leaving.  I only have a problem if we are forcing out someone who has done all that is asked of him and wants to stay and play because we may be marginally improved with yet another wing.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2016, 12:04:01 PM »
Difference is I think Cohen has options/eligibility. Does Wally have that?

Depends on if Wally can get enough credits together to graduate. As a grad transfer, he could find himself with a nice starting gig at a mid major somewhere. As a traditional transfer? Nope, would probably have to drop a level. Of course he has ton of options as a track athlete.

But to answer onepost's question, no. No one would bat an eye if it was Sacar or Sandy. This is all about fear of backlash from the Ellensons. There might be some, but I think its impact would be very short lived.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2016, 12:05:24 PM »
This thread is an all-timer. Even for Scoop.

Bravo!

Bravo to the speculators, the story-tellers, the outraged, the mock outraged, the memers, the read-between-the-liners, the twitterers, the worst-case-scenario presenters, all those who used the word "if" at least a half-dozen times in their posts, and especially to my fellow sarcasm spewers.

Bravo, boys and girls, bravo!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2016, 12:08:47 PM »
I have no idea how Wally feels about all of this or even if it is Wally leaving.  I only have a problem if we are forcing out someone who has done all that is asked of him and wants to stay and play because we may be marginally improved with yet another wing.

This may be cold, but if Wally is cut in favor of another player, than my view is that he didn't do all that is asked of him. In order to earn a basketball scholarship at Marquette you need to be one of the best 13 players who is interested in being on the roster. If you didn't do that, than you didn't earn the scholarship. Regular students compete for scholarships and grants all the time. In the end only the most deserving will get them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2016, 12:11:16 PM »

We are 10 pages in on a thread about a twitter post. This whole thing started because one person said wally got cut on this thread. His stater is literally the same as everyone has been arguing for the last couple days.

feedback