[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane Wilson Tweet  (Read 112001 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Duane Wilson Tweet
« Reply #200 on: April 21, 2016, 10:01:06 AM »
If someone else is coming in someone besides Wally has to leave as well. Howard toke Henry's scholarship, so already have 14 for 13 spots. If Wally leaves that only gets us to 13.

Bailey is on a 2 year mission and will not count against our scholarship count.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2016, 10:02:08 AM »
If there is now bad blood between MU and the Ellensons, imagine the impact that it would have on MU's relationship with Wisconsin hs coaches and potential WI recruits. Bad, bad, bad PR for the program and just a lose in the long run.  We have 13 - just go with what we've already got.  Not a good sign with those unfollows - sounds petty, but the way of the 21st century digital world.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2016, 10:02:28 AM »
If someone else is coming in someone besides Wally has to leave as well. Howard toke Henry's scholarship, so already have 14 for 13 spots. If Wally leaves that only gets us to 13.

Wrong. Right now we are 13
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2016, 10:05:36 AM »
 Was this not suppose to get out until after the 2 visits?  What effect is there if Gill and Young decline?
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #204 on: April 21, 2016, 10:08:28 AM »

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #205 on: April 21, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
How many people here seriously want Wally for one more year instead of a 6'9 bruiser for four years?

You are exaggerating it. Wally only takes up 1 more year, and honestly at this point I would expect the guy we could get for next year will be better than anyone at this point this year. It's just we want the immediate impact. So it's more of Wally versus a 1 year transfer or 1 year of a late freshmen recruit. I'm more concerned with wojo making promises he didn't keep. If he told Wally he would have 3 years of scholarship here and he is rescinding, that is a problem. It isn't like Henry suddenly left and the situation changed. This should have been planned better not to burn bridges. Then again, who knows what really is going down.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #206 on: April 21, 2016, 10:16:28 AM »
Was this not suppose to get out until after the 2 visits?  What effect is there if Gill and Young decline?

Hiroshima.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
What's really fair?
« Reply #207 on: April 21, 2016, 10:18:56 AM »
It's impress when an athlete can play multiple sports in college, both in terms of sheer athleticism and handling the academic load that comes with school. That said a high level division one program needs players who can commitment totally to their team. Wojo knew going in that Wally wanted to compete in track as well as basketball. Was that dual sport agreement limited? Right now during this off season Marquette needs every player on the team to be all -- in the weight room and on the practice court. WE can't do that and follow his dream to the Olympics and beyond. Is it fair to the basketball team to give less than 100%? What was the understanding on his arrival at Marquette? Can circumstances change where neither party is at fault? What is more selfish -- a basketball coach who wants you as a full-time student and member of the team or a player who wants to split his time giving the most attention to a goal that many would view as strictly personal? These are all questions and I don't have the answers. It wouldn't be fair of me to judge either Wojo or WE until we have more information. The one thing I do agree on that is out there in the public is the "family first" comment on Twitter. That I support unconditionally and that is why I'm happy for Henry and the Ellenson Family that He is pursuing his dream of an NBA career.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #208 on: April 21, 2016, 10:25:09 AM »
I don't think there is a direct influence on recruiting but IF this was a blind side on Wally and Henry is on his side there is going to be a lot of indirect influence. Henry will be less likely to show up on campus/at MU events while Wojo is here, Wisconsin coaches will see how Wojo was a snake with the Ellenson's, and other coaches will point out how Wojo and Ellenson don't get along when recruiting big-time recruits. There are a lot of negatives to treating your player's like trash. For now, I'm going to assume Wojo didn't screw the Ellenson family and there is more to the story like Wally originally stating he only wanted to have 2 years of schollie and then focus on track but now wants a third year.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #209 on: April 21, 2016, 10:25:47 AM »

The Frozena Effect.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #210 on: April 21, 2016, 10:26:32 AM »
No, but I don't think he'll be wearing his Marquette jersey during a post game media interview either.

The video of Ellenson putting on the uniform 33 times is worth more in recruiting then if we dressed him head to toe in Marquette gear every day for the next year.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2016, 10:30:51 AM »
The Frozena Effect.

Where's Waldo ...er Wally?
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: What's really fair?
« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2016, 10:31:47 AM »
It's impress when an athlete can play multiple sports in college, both in terms of sheer athleticism and handling the academic load that comes with school. That said a high level division one program needs players who can commitment totally to their team. Wojo knew going in that Wally wanted to compete in track as well as basketball. Was that dual sport agreement limited? Right now during this off season Marquette needs every player on the team to be all -- in the weight room and on the practice court. WE can't do that and follow his dream to the Olympics and beyond. Is it fair to the basketball team to give less than 100%? What was the understanding on his arrival at Marquette? Can circumstances change where neither party is at fault? What is more selfish -- a basketball coach who wants you as a full-time student and member of the team or a player who wants to split his time giving the most attention to a goal that many would view as strictly personal? These are all questions and I don't have the answers. It wouldn't be fair of me to judge either Wojo or WE until we have more information. The one thing I do agree on that is out there in the public is the "family first" comment on Twitter. That I support unconditionally and that is why I'm happy for Henry and the Ellenson Family that He is pursuing his dream of an NBA career.

I think this is where I am at on this issue. If it does end up being Wally leaving, it's hard to blame Wojo to ask for 100% focus. If some of you forgot, various members of the board were asking for Wojo's head only a month or so ago for team performance. You want 100% from Wojo...why is it unfair for him to ask the same from his players?

Again, it's speculation. But if that's the issue, I side with the program first.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #213 on: April 21, 2016, 10:33:26 AM »
The video of Ellenson putting on the uniform 33 times is worth more in recruiting then if we dressed him head to toe in Marquette gear every day for the next year.

The concern regarding recruiting isn't really about Henry dressed in MU gear at all.  It is potential of negative recruiting that other schools can use against MU, especially when it comes to some in-state recruits that we are trying to land.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #214 on: April 21, 2016, 10:34:14 AM »
Indeed...I have trouble keeping up with scholarship counts, but I thought they had enough even with Wally on the team. This moves tells me there is a commitment coming, but I could be off on my math.
Your Math is correct. I suspect--like glow--that a commitment is forthcoming. At that time, we will hear who is gone.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #215 on: April 21, 2016, 10:36:33 AM »
Kaitlin Jenner is taking Walter's spot?  No wonder the Ellensons are hurting.

Ha--whoops
#buckleupbuckaroos

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #216 on: April 21, 2016, 10:42:12 AM »
Is in state talent going to continue to be what it has been in the last 10 years? Duke has not made their success off of local players, UK hasn't-Programs we want to be....Wojo is opening up the west coast with Stan...We can't have the Wisco Pipeline dry up but if he is going to poison the well he is doing it with a more national focus for our recruits. Buzz only had a small number of local guys and he had great success.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #217 on: April 21, 2016, 10:47:43 AM »
How many people here seriously want Wally for one more year instead of a 6'9 bruiser for four years?

I want both and would rather we not have taken so many redundant guards/wings that we find ourselves in this situation.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #218 on: April 21, 2016, 10:49:17 AM »
And for those concerned about the Hauser brothers....pending how their actual college careers turn out, while neither is rated/projected as high as Henry Ellenson both are individually rated/projected to be better than Wally. If Wally was Henry bait, that scenario wouldn't really be in play with the Hausers because I suspect we would want either one and both is just a bonus.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #219 on: April 21, 2016, 10:49:37 AM »
I want both and would rather we not have taken so many redundant guards/wings that we find ourselves in this situation.

So which guard/wing would you get rid of to keep Wally?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #220 on: April 21, 2016, 10:51:30 AM »
When he signed, Henry promised Wojo that he'd be in school for both of Wally's remaining seasons of eligibility. When Henry had a big season and saw the dollar signs, Wojo told Wally to talk some sense into him and remind him of the promise he had made to both of them. Instead, Wally encouraged Henry to follow his dream so Henry went back on his word, bolted for the NBA and now Wojo is telling Wally to take a hike too.

Keep in mind that this is only one account of a story that I just completely fabricated so take that for what it's worth.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #221 on: April 21, 2016, 10:55:06 AM »
Keep in mind that this is only one account of a story that I just completely fabricated so take that for what it's worth.

I'm so conflicted - your tale doesn't let me know if I should be outraged at the Ellensons or Wojo. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #222 on: April 21, 2016, 10:56:06 AM »
Wally got a scholarship to Marquette because his brother is Henry. If Henry decided to come back for his sophomore year Wally would still have that scholarship and still be on the team. Henry went pro so Wally was cut.

If Buzz pulled this Chico would be screaming squirmy and bemoaning the "Just win, baby" culture of our program. Because it's Wojo he and his ilk will instead preach patience.

Bad optics? Sure. Real fallout? Maybe. But Wojo (like all our other coaches) is trying to WIN NOW and let the "future" work itself out. This is big boy, just win, baby basketball so I can't fault him for that.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #223 on: April 21, 2016, 10:58:01 AM »
So which guard/wing would you get rid of to keep Wally?

Reinhardt or Rowsey.  Not saying that they won't be good players, or better than Wally, but neither of those guys play a position of need on this team and I hate the idea of taking a guy that will necessitate that you Pole-axe someone else.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #224 on: April 21, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
When he signed, Henry promised Wojo that he'd be in school for both of Wally's remaining seasons of eligibility. When Henry had a big season and saw the dollar signs, Wojo told Wally to talk some sense into him and remind him of the promise he had made to both of them. Instead, Wally encouraged Henry to follow his dream so Henry went back on his word, bolted for the NBA and now Wojo is telling Wally to take a hike too.

SOMEONE NEED TO ALERT PAINT TOUCHES!!!!

feedback