'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jerseys Retired  (Read 14740 times)

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
Jerseys Retired
« on: August 24, 2013, 12:53:39 PM »
With the passing of Dean,I started to think of the great players at Marquette.I hope in the near future that Jim Chones jersey is retired.I believe he deserves it.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Jerseys Retired
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 01:20:53 PM »
Thanks for postin', Jim.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 08:18:51 AM »
Left in middle of season, so I would say no way.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 08:43:26 AM »
Al told him to leave and take the money.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 10:31:26 AM »

That's doesnt suddenly mean its ok and he should have his jersey retired. My understanding is that if he doesn't leave that was very likely a championship team. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 06:26:31 PM »
Al went to his house and there was nothing in the ice box.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 07:15:06 PM »
No Dam Way! We were undefeated or had one loss at the time. Team was awesome.
McNeill had to play center. Weighed around 195. We were out boarded and had no real presence in the middle
after he left. I don't care what Al said. He left the team. Admittingly, He was one of our great players.
 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 07:46:25 PM »
Besides that ( and maybe he came back and got it), I do not think they should retire a players number unless he has an MU degree.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 07:57:44 PM »

I credit Al for making a decision that was best for the athlete.  I can't imagine ever being in such a hard situation.  He did what was necessary, that doesn't detract from anything he did while out at MU. 

If he had stayed and they didn't win a NC, people would still retire his jersey.  Punishing a MU great for doing what Al agreed he had to do, based on a 'could have happened' is tough.

Retire his jersey. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 08:00:08 PM »
Besides that ( and maybe he came back and got it), I do not think they should retire a players number unless he has an MU degree.

+1

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 08:41:50 PM »
Let me get this right.He can be inducted into The M Club Hall of Fame in 2004 but can't have his jersey retired.This looks very bad.Marquette do the right thing and retire his jersey.Many of us would have made the same decision he did if we were in the situation he was.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 08:51:08 PM »
Let me get this right.He can be inducted into The M Club Hall of Fame in 2004 but can't have his jersey retired.This looks very bad.Marquette do the right thing and retire his jersey.Many of us would have made the same decision he did if we were in the situation he was.

Not really.  Just differing opinions.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 10:53:02 PM »
Retire the jersey.

The only centers we have had even close were Jerome Whitehead and JimmyMac. I don't care if he left early. He didn't do a Vander Blue on us. He left after consultation with his coach and to take care of his family. The latter is the best of the Jesuit tradition.

RETIRE CHONES' Jersey

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 07:25:43 AM »
Retire the jersey.

The only centers we have had even close were Jerome Whitehead and JimmyMac. I don't care if he left early. He didn't do a Vander Blue on us. He left after consultation with his coach and to take care of his family. The latter is the best of the Jesuit tradition.

RETIRE CHONES' Jersey

He didn't do a Vander Blue on us?  He left in the middle of the season!  100 times worse.

Look, if he needed the money I don't blame the guy either.  (And I don't blame Vander for leaving...he had a right to.)  But I can see why leaving mid-year prevents him from getting his jersey retired.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:25:09 AM by Terror Skink »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »

He didn't do a Vander Blue on us?  He left in the middle of the season!  100 times worse.
+1

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 08:58:36 AM »
If Blue or Wade could've left in the middle of the season, Buzz/Crean would've found out on ESPN. It was a different time and player's had fewer options. The support of college athletes is no where near where it is today. He made a major impact at Marquette, he made a major impact after his time at Marquette, he improved the MU brand even when he left because it made AL look like a saint, and he continues to rep MU positively. He did more for Marquette in 50 games than others did in four years (minus guys already retired).

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 09:35:50 AM »
The latter is the best of the Jesuit tradition.

LOL

I don't begrudge a guy for doing what he has to do, but let's not get carried away here. He left for big bucks, plain and simple. It might have been the right decision for him, but let's not act like he was taking up a cross or something by leaving MU.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 09:55:38 AM »
Ok here's what I don't understand and maybe you guys can fill the blanks for me. Chones was drafted in 73 but left in 72 so that left time where he couldve stayed at MU anyways.  Next he was drafted in the second round so wasnt guaranteed anything and wasnt a top pick so not like leaving suddenly got him commercial deals and the like, perhaps if he finished out his year he couldve been a first rounder. I guess all I'm trying to say is did he do anything significant in those what 6 months for his family that he couldn't have while being at MU?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 10:01:07 AM »
Ok here's what I don't understand and maybe you guys can fill the blanks for me. Chones was drafted in 73 but left in 72 so that left time where he couldve stayed at MU anyways.  Next he was drafted in the second round so wasnt guaranteed anything and wasnt a top pick so not like leaving suddenly got him commercial deals and the like, perhaps if he finished out his year he couldve been a first rounder. I guess all I'm trying to say is did he do anything significant in those what 6 months for his family that he couldn't have while being at MU?

You are imposing 2013 draft rules on the 1973 draft.  The rules were a lot different back then, not to mention two different leagues with different sets of rules.  I don't know the specifics of why he could do what he did, but what Chones did was completely within the rules of the ABA.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 10:06:14 AM »

Jim Chones Left MU to play immediately in the ABA (an alternative to the NBA for you youngsters) in 1972.  He was drafted by the NBA Laker's in 73, but was already earning a paycheck from the ABA.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 10:09:24 AM »
By the way, this was not uncommon when there were two leagues.  IIRC, Dr. J played originally in the ABA, but I believe two different NBA teams (Bucks and 76'ers?) drafted his NBA rights.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 10:13:21 AM »
I get it now.  Thank you for clarifying that.  And I know enough about Bball history Archie to know what the ABA is didn't know that it wasn't uncommon though. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 10:26:36 AM »
I believe the ABA team was allowed to sign him and forfeit their first rounder. Equivalent to the Sup Draft in the NFL?

Like I said earlier if Blue or Wade could've signed a contract in Feb, we would have 1 less final four run and one less elite 8 run.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 10:36:51 AM »
Alternative scenario for those holding this against Chones:

Would you be as bitter if we had a starting PG who led the team deep in the tourney the previous year and was an engineering prodigy who got offered his dream job at a prestigious and well-paying engineering firm?

The whole point of college is to enhance your employment opportunities and grow as a person. I'm sure Chones got more job training and experiences in 2.5 years than most of us in 4.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 10:49:43 AM »
Alternative scenario for those holding this against Chones:

Would you be as bitter if we had a starting PG who led the team deep in the tourney the previous year and was an engineering prodigy who got offered his dream job at a prestigious and well-paying engineering firm?

The whole point of college is to enhance your employment opportunities and grow as a person. I'm sure Chones got more job training and experiences in 2.5 years than most of us in 4.

Different situation, in engineering you'd likely be replaceable and the job wouldn't wait.  In basketball the draft was still going to be there at the end of the year and he had an opportunity to up his stock in the draft. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback