Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Field of 68 Podcast MU Debacle Discussion  (Read 5684 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Field of 68 Podcast MU Debacle Discussion
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2021, 07:25:25 PM »
That is good good stuff.

Now let’s do Wades, Rocky, and Tower.

Not that they need permission from you, me or anybody else, but they can come to their own conclusions in their own time. And it doesn't really matter that you and I (and maybe eventually they) want him gone; I know that I have no power over it, and I'm pretty sure you and they don't either.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2021, 10:24:27 PM »
A couple months ago, Wojo wasn't on the hot seat. None of the national pundits put him on any of their hot-seat lists. If you know otherwise, please provide evidence.

A couple months ago, for me personally, Wojo was "on probation." After the collapses of the previous two seasons, I said I needed to see progress this season, and no collapse. Well, after a promising start, there was no progress. And the collapse started early. I've been saying since Jan. 25 that he should be fired immediately; not after the season but now.

But yes, I fully admit that I probably was too patient. And those who wanted him fired last year or the year before or the year before that or before he ever was hired get to say, "I told you so."

I sure hope he's on the hot seat now. He deserves to be.

That, however, doesn't change the fact that he wasn't on the hot seat a couple months ago, as you smugly are suggesting.

For what it's worth, my comment wasn't directed at you, even though I know you posted some "hot seat" lists recently that did not include Wojo.  Projo or Nojo, you've been very clear as to where you stand, and I appreciate that, even though I didn't always agree with what you said.

You're right, in the eyes of the administration and the national media, Wojo wasn't on the hot seat a few months ago.  Personally, I thought his butt should've been simmering after all the BS at the end of the 2019 season, which is what's made the past two years so frustrating.  But I'm rational enough to know that we would never have fired him after the collapse and Hausergate.  It's just not something that would ever happen.

Now that we're collapsing again and it's obvious beyond the shadow of a doubt that Wojo must go, there's sort of a "Rashomon" thing going on where everyone has a different story about when they first knew Wojo wasn't the guy, what the first red flags were, etc.  I've been a Nojo since I started posting here, and am not really sure when I stopped liking him.  The first time something seemed a little off for me was when we lost to Belmont at home in Henry Ellenson's debut.  I wasn't furious about it because that Belmont team was experienced and coming off an NCAA Tournament birth, but we're Marquette.  That's a game we should've won.  And then a few weeks later Iowa came into our house and completely destroyed us.  From there the "Nojo" seed had officially been incepted into my brain, and grew like a weed in the coming months and years.

I guess what I'm saying is, I've thought Wojo should've been on the hot seat the last two seasons, but what I think doesn't matter.  He wasn't.  And even though I haven't liked him for quite some time, there's no glory in, "I told you so" in this instance.  I just wish we were a better basketball team.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2021, 10:28:50 PM »
A couple months ago, Wojo wasn't on the hot seat. None of the national pundits put him on any of their hot-seat lists. If you know otherwise, please provide evidence.

A couple months ago, for me personally, Wojo was "on probation." After the collapses of the previous two seasons, I said I needed to see progress this season, and no collapse. Well, after a promising start, there was no progress. And the collapse started early. I've been saying since Jan. 25 that he should be fired immediately; not after the season but now.

But yes, I fully admit that I probably was too patient. And those who wanted him fired last year or the year before or the year before that or before he ever was hired get to say, "I told you so."

I sure hope he's on the hot seat now. He deserves to be.

That, however, doesn't change the fact that he wasn't on the hot seat a couple months ago, as you smugly are suggesting.

I feel the same way. I was excited and enthusiastic this year not because I was expecting us to be a tournament team, but because we had so much youth (Dawson, Justin, Osa) and new players to watch (Carton, Perez).  I was looking forward  to watch a different brand of basketball.  The Wisconsin game was incredible and I had so much hope. Since the Creighton win, we have steadily and solidly regressed, with many of the prior year’s concerns revealing their ugly heads (the turnovers, the lack of identity on offense, the struggles on defense, the losing streaks, etc.).  With each passing game, the team struggles more and more, and the talent gap with other teams becomes more apparent. 

It’s not about being right or wrong. Today, if anyone has any doubts about Wojo SHOULD remain (not will he) MU HC, they are simply compromised by personal involvement.  Wojo has failed to meet expectations and the trajectory for next year and beyond simply does not meet expectations.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2021, 10:35:25 PM »
Wojos next excuse: "We always lose on national television"

It would explain the March Madness results, at least.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2021, 10:37:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/thefieldof68/status/1359954609519886339?s=21

Nothing earth shaking here but hotseat talk getting hotter.

Thank You. Saw this earlier today too. Agree Proud Tradition, spends the most on basketball in The Big East. TOP 10 NATIONAL ATTENDANCE last 2 Years! Should have a better team record. 0 NCAA Tourney Wins Since joining The New Big East 8 Years Ago.  Should have a Tourney Win.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:02:30 PM by MarquetteMike1977 »

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2021, 10:46:51 PM »
https://twitter.com/thefieldof68/status/1359954609519886339?s=21

Nothing earth shaking here but hotseat talk getting hotter.
Thank You again for posting. I wash my hands of this as I wanted to take ESPN’s crappy deal 8 to 10 Years ago and remain in control of the conference. That said a big part of it is coaching too. Is Nate Oates of Alabama from Watertown, WI available or the Catholic John Beilein or even Wardle or Chapman available.  Am for MU winning.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2021, 11:05:02 PM »
This season: First time through conference: 5-5
Second time through: 0-4

Last Season: First time through 5-4
2nd time:  3-6

Two seasons ago: First time: 8-1
Second time: 4-5

Conclusion: A finesse system coach who doesn't make adjustments in a round robin league. Wojo has been read after 7 years.

I have been barked at here for my critiques of his defensive system but no adjustments in a tough-nosed, well-coached league earn you losses the 2nd time through. Wojo needs to earn his pay here and try to pull some rabbits out of his hat. Worst case: MU loses by 33?

Lots of reasonable takes the last several posts from many Scoopers, but this one from you, Dr. B, really resonates with me.

It’s quite an indictment, a sign that for several years we have played at a coaching deficit. Not a good feeling as an alum and fan. Well done, though painful to read.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2021, 06:29:56 AM »
According to bracketmatrix, we were in 97 out of 97 brackets, with us likely a 9-seed. So it takes a lot of imagination (or an ulterior motive) to say we wouldn't have been in the 2020 NCAAs.

http://bracketmatrix.com/matrix_2020.html

Otherwise, mostly a lot of cold, hard truth in there. Wojo needs to go.

Had Marquette lost in the canceled round of the big east tournament they would be out. No one is giving a tournament bid to a team that collapsed that hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2021, 07:29:18 AM »
Had Marquette lost in the canceled round of the big east tournament they would be out. No one is giving a tournament bid to a team that collapsed that hard.

Untrue. Losing on a neutral court to Seton Hall wouldn't have knocked them down more than a spot or two on the s curve. Momentum isn't considered by the committee anymore
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2021, 07:41:36 AM »

This is absolutely wrong. Marquette was a lock. Anyone saying otherwise is either lying or ignorant to the resumes behind Marquette.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2021, 08:03:33 AM »

Yeah you don't know how the selection process works.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2021, 08:07:23 AM »
Could we imagine had Marquette lost that first round game to Hall and then got blown out in the first round of the NCAAs again?  Or, worse, got blown out in both games?  The team would have, again, lost eight of its final nine games.  Yikes.

(MU was a lock for the tournament last year, yes.  They were not on the bubble, the last four in, the first four out or the next four out. 

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2021, 01:33:46 PM »
Marquette’s Final NET Ranking last year I believe was 26 we were in The Big Dance.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2021, 07:28:18 PM »
That is good good stuff.

Now let’s do Wades, Rocky, and Tower.
Never happen with those guys
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.