'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We need to start over  (Read 9289 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
We need to start over
« on: February 10, 2021, 10:22:18 PM »
It's truly a dumpster fire.  Yes we have 3 talented players, and some talent coming in, but this isn't close to being a quick fix.  There is zero team cohesion or an identity of any kind. 

The lack of basic fundamentals and poise on this ball club is extremely disturbing.  Our lack of improvement towards the homestretch of the season, seemingly year after year, is equally disastrous.   

Right now we are playing the worst basketball in this conference and may not be a top 150 team.  This is not hyperbole, facts are facts. 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: We need to start over
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 10:23:56 PM »
Agreed 100%.

No more excuses or reasons to stay the course, especially with the strong likelihood we lose out. Next few weeks will be ugly.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 10:27:21 PM »
It's truly a dumpster fire.  Yes we have 3 talented players, and some talent coming in, but this isn't close to being a quick fix.  There is zero team cohesion or an identity of any kind. 

The lack of basic fundamentals and poise on this ball club is extremely disturbing.  Our lack of improvement towards the homestretch of the season, seemingly year after year, is equally disastrous.   

Right now we are playing the worst basketball in this conference and may not be a top 150 team.  This is not hyperbole, facts are facts.

Everything you describe is accurate, and points to a guy totally in over his head coaching at this level. 

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 10:27:50 PM »
If Wojo stays the coach, it’ll be a very long offseason with not much to look forward to next year.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 10:36:16 PM »
There have been a number of coaches from smaller schools that have done really well once they were given the opportunity. 

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 10:40:22 PM »
There have been a number of coaches from smaller schools that have done really well once they were given the opportunity.

Yup, and as you mentioned it’s a dumpster fire. Having 3 quality players on a high major team is nothing to write home about. Doesn’t every good program have some talent coming in? There’s nothing to lose by just blowing everything up and starting over.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 10:50:00 PM »
Yup, and as you mentioned it%u2019s a dumpster fire. Having 3 quality players on a high major team is nothing to write home about. Doesn%u2019t every good program have some talent coming in? There%u2019s nothing to lose by just blowing everything up and starting over.

They do CR.  And perhaps with the right coach we could mold this talent with our returning players and recruits.  Let's say they would all come back including Carton if Wojo stays?  I have zero confidence he could make our roster anything but a borderline NCAA tournament team.  So, from my perspective, we have to bite the bullet.

It would be an immediate setback but with the right coach things can change very quickly.  See Beard or Underwood along with others.  I honestly don't think this is debatable anymore because we have 0.0 evidence we have a guy capable of getting us back to the promised land or making a deep NCAA tourney run.  In my mind he is lost and grasping at straws on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 10:52:11 PM by MuggsyB »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 10:53:56 PM »
Just need to look downstairs at the Al. They made a great hire in Duffy, ended up keeping most of the recruits, and they've been outstanding for two years.

Make a good hire and worry about the roster later.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 10:56:49 PM »
Right now we are playing the worst basketball in this conference...This is not hyperbole, facts are facts.

Georgetown and DePaul might beg to differ on that one. Getting clocked by Villanova has happened to a lot of teams.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 10:57:09 PM »

Agree

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 11:01:38 PM »
I think at this stage it is indisputable  that Wojo is unable to get the job done. I am all for starting over, but the powers that be are apparently not interested.

As for our big three, I think Dawson and Justin will be back. What a coaching change would mean for them I can only guess, but these days kids change schools at will. DJ apparently thinks he's an NBA talent. If he enters the draft, he will get a rude surprise. Who is interested ina point with no handle who can't  make a decent pass and is a subpar defender?

If I were in charge I wouldn't worry about player retention if I could get rid of the main problem.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 11:12:48 PM »
If Wojo stays the coach, it’ll be a very long offseason with not much to look forward to next year.

You mean other than seeing where Garcia and Lewis transfer and which signees ask out of their NLI’s?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 11:17:02 PM »

+1

#Facts
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 12:26:40 AM »
Buh Bye.

I'd love for the players and recruits to return, because I feel we have great talent already here and coming in.  But, the bottom line is Wojo is not getting it done, not even close.  He needs to be pole-axed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 12:33:50 AM by 94Warrior »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 04:07:10 AM »

Yet there are still guys on this board that believe we will make the dance.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 04:46:24 AM »
Oh yeah, the line dance exits right out da fookin' door, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 06:00:13 AM »

Hard to believe, but harder to disagree. I really feel for the guys on the team as I think they are giving good effort, but it has to be so demoralizing. I especially feel bad for Theo, who has been an absolute Warrior for four years and has improved a lot. To barely taste the NCAA tourney and also not have crowds at all for his senior year or senior day is disappointing, though there likely would not have been much of a crowd showing up for senior day this year the way things are going.

We are officially a dumpster fire at this point. What a shame. It appears the situation that led to, and ultimately the departure of the Hausers will be the watershed moment where Wojo's tenure drove off the cliff. From looking like a pre-season consensus top 5 team to what we are seeing now in just a couple years is staggering. Hard to imagine Wojo building it back.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 06:38:12 AM »
Hard to believe, but harder to disagree. I really feel for the guys on the team as I think they are giving good effort, but it has to be so demoralizing. I especially feel bad for Theo, who has been an absolute Warrior for four years and has improved a lot. To barely taste the NCAA tourney and also not have crowds at all for his senior year or senior day is disappointing, though there likely would not have been much of a crowd showing up for senior day this year the way things are going.

We are officially a dumpster fire at this point. What a shame. It appears the situation that led to, and ultimately the departure of the Hausers will be the watershed moment where Wojo's tenure drove off the cliff. From looking like a pre-season consensus top 5 team to what we are seeing now in just a couple years is staggering. Hard to imagine Wojo building it back.

HAUSERS

Viper

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 06:40:23 AM »
Everything at MU is off kilter these days. Jesuits have seemed to lost their way. Lovell? Failure. I know zip about the AD, but to stick with Wojo and watch this gem of a program die a slow death is inexcusable. MU basketball is traveling the highway of Nebraska football.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2021, 07:20:09 AM »

I’m tired already of the growing narrative here that it all fell apart for Wojo when the Hausers left.  No, that was a symptom of the overall problem that Wojo is in over his head at this level. 

Before their departure, we lost 4 in a row to choke away a conference title, 6 of 7 overall, and were run out of the gym by a mid major in the tournament. A mid major who themselves didn’t proceed to any run, but got blasted the next game by a legitimate high major coach. The April 2019 preseason ranking meant nothing, to think they would have come close to living up to such a lofty ranking under Wojo is beyond silly.

Wojo has been in over his head from day 1. Maybe it took the Hausers for people to wake up to that cold reality, but it was not the tipping point where everything was just rolling along just fine for this program and then collapsed. All it did was speed up the overall downfall of this failure of a coach.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2021, 07:45:51 AM »
Just need to look downstairs at the Al. They made a great hire in Duffy, ended up keeping most of the recruits, and they've been outstanding for two years.

Make a good hire and worry about the roster later.

Our women's program is lightyears ahead of our men's program right now.  This year will be five NCAA appearances in a row (if you include 2020) and thats through a coaching change.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2021, 07:51:17 AM »
Everything at MU is off kilter these days. Jesuits have seemed to lost their way. Lovell? Failure. I know zip about the AD, but to stick with Wojo and watch this gem of a program die a slow death is inexcusable. MU basketball is traveling the highway of Nebraska football.

I think Scholl has been a decent AD.  This decision is not simply his to make.

(And I have no idea what you mean about the Jesuits.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2021, 07:53:18 AM »
The folks that get me are the ones who say that if we make a coaching change we are destined for several years of mediocrity. So what's new?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2021, 08:07:31 AM »

I think Scholl has been a decent AD.  This decision is not simply his to make.

(And I have no idea what you mean about the Jesuits.)

There are Jesuits at MU?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2021, 08:09:55 AM »

I was as excited as anyone when we were a "consensus preseason top 5 team" but it's very difficult to believe (even with H and H) that we could have done much of anything.    That roster, like every other Wojo roster, would not have been able to defend at a reasonable level. 

There has not been a culture or identity established at MU the past 7 seasons.  When you bring in the players Duke has year after year you can beat teams by outscoring them with overwhelming talent.  You can't do that at MU or 99% of schools.  And when things have gone South during the course of a number of seasons the guy has zero answers.  There are no adjustments, no plan B, no consistency whatsoever when it comes to rudimentary fundamentals.

A team is as confident as his/her coach.  I have seen a deer in the headlights look from Wojo the second there is adversity or things are going off the rails.  He looks shell-shocked, lost, and without a scintilla of ability to motivate our players.  These games are essentially lost before they are even played.  And this narrative that we "played hard in the 1st half but didn't give the effort in the 2nd" is complete excrement.  We hear similar nonsense game after game after game.

Many of our astute posters mentioned the play last night where Theo got a T after Gillespie Davisoned.  Wojo stood there, with his arms crossed, about as animated as cardboard cutout.  Where's the fire?  How about standing up for your players?

The honest truth is we have always had an infintesmal margin for error during Wojo's tenure because we have never figured out how to play consistent defense or value the basketball.  This has not changed one iota since 2014.  It's the same conversation and ultimate frustration we have shared together for 7 yrs, reminiscent of an endless horror show.  It's the exact definition of insanity and we are on the road to nowhere.  We have no choice and have to make a change. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 08:16:18 AM by MuggsyB »