Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Recruits: Big East 2nd best path to NBA, and MU 2nd best NBA path in BE  (Read 9587 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

Recruits: Big East 2nd best path to NBA, and MU 2nd best NBA path in BE

Written by: jpudner@concentricgrasstops.com (bamamarquettefan1)

With the guaranteed 2-year contracts going to 1st round picks Wesley Johnson, Greg Monroe, Dominique Jones and our own Lazar Hayward, the Big East has 69 players coaching or playing the NBA, more than any other conference except the ACC (74).

What is truly amazing is that if Hamady N'Diaye of Rutgers makes the Wizards then all 16 Big East teams will have former players in the NBA (despite all having fewer tams, no other conference has every team represented in the NBA).

Not only does the Big East have the 2nd most players in the NBA, but among Big East schools, Marquette ranks 2nd at getting players to the NBA.  Here is the complete list:

1st) Connecticut 12 - Allen, Ray (G-Boston), Thabeet, Hasheem (C-Memphis), Okafor, Emeka (C-New Orleans), Boone, Josh (C-New Jersey),  Villanueva, Charlie (F-Detroit), Gay, Rudy (SF-Memphis), Hamilton, Richard (G/F-Detroit), Butler, Caron (SG-Dallas), Gordon, Ben (G-Detroit), Williams, Marcus (PG-Memphis), Ollie, Kevin (PG-Oklahoma City), Price, A. J. (PG-Indiana).  Trying out (2nd round, 10-day or end-of-season contacts, etc.);   Robinson, Stanley (SF-Orlando).

2nd) Marquette 8 - Doc Rivers (Coach-Boston), Wesley Matthews (G-Utah), Jim Boylan (Assistant-Milwaukee), Maurice Lucas (Assistant-Portland), Novak, Steve (F-LA Clippers), Hayward, Lazar (SF-Minnesota), Wade, Dwyane (SG-Miami), Diener, Travis (PG-Portland).  

3rd) Notre Dame 7 - Monty Williams (Coach-New Orleans),  Adrian Dantley (Assistant-Denver), Bill Laimbeer (Assistant-Minnesota), John Shumate (Assistant-Phoenix), Murphy, Troy (PF-Indiana), Carroll, Matt (SG-Dallas), Quinn, Chris (PG-New Jersey).  Trying out (2nd round, 10-day or end-of-season contacts, etc.);   Kurz, Rob (F-Chicago), Harangody, Luke (F-Boston).

4th) Syracuse 7 - Frank Hamblen (Assistant-LA Lakers), Thomas, Etan (C-Oklahoma City), Warrick, Hakim (PF-Chicago), Greene, Donté (SF-Sacramento), Anthony, Carmelo (SF-Denver), Johnson, Wesley (SF-Minnesota),  Flynn, Jonny (PG-Minnesota).  Trying out (2nd round, 10-day or end-of-season contacts, etc.);  Rautins, Andy (G-New York).

5th) Villanova 6 - Alvin Williams (Assistant-Toronto), Allen, Malik (PF-Denver), Cunningham, Dante (PF-Portland), Thomas, Tim (F-Dallas), Foye, Randy (G-Washington), Lowry, Kyle (PG-Houston).  

6th) DePaul 5 - Tyrone Corbin (Assistant-Utah), Hunter, Steven (C-Memphis), Simmons, Bobby (SF-New Jersey), Richardson, Quentin (SF-Miami), Chandler, Wilson (G/F-New York).  

7th) Georgetown 5 - Patrick Ewing (Assistant-Orlando), Hibbert, Roy (C-Indiana), Monroe, Greg (F/C-Detroit), Green, Jeff (PF-Oklahoma City), Summers, DaJuan (F-Detroit).  

8th) Pittsburgh 4 - Tim Grgurich (Assistant-Denver), Gray, Aaron (C-New Orleans), Blair, DeJuan (F/C-San Antonio),  Young, Sam (SF-Memphis).  

9th) Louisville 3 - Clark, Earl (F-Phoenix), Williams, Terrence (SF-New Jersey), García, Francisco (SG-Sacramento).

10th) Seton Hall 3 - Adrian Griffin (Assistant-Milwaukee), Mark Bryant (Assistant-Oklahoma City), Dalembert, Samuel (C-Sacramento).  

11th) South Florida 3 - Jones, Solomon (C-Indiana), Jones, Dominique (SG-Dallas), Atkins, Chucky (G-Detroit).  

12th) Cincinnati 2 - Maxiell, Jason (F/C-Detroit), Martin, Kenyon (PF-Denver). Possible addition Stephenson, Lance (SG-Indiana).

13th) St. John's 2 - Robert Werdann (Assistant-New Orleans), Artest, Ron (SF-LA Lakers).  

14th) Providence 1 - Gomes, Ryan (SF-Portland).

15th) West Virginia 1 - Alexander, Joe (SF-Chicago).  Trying out (2nd round, 10-day or end-of-season contacts, etc.);  Butler, Da'Sean (SF-Miami) and Ebanks, Devin (SF-LA Lakers).

16th) Rutgers 0 – None.  Trying out (2nd round, 10-day or end-of-season contacts, etc.);  N'Diaye, Hamady (C-Washington).  

The players listed are among the 593 players who are currently on an NBA roster, AND are also; 1, a head coach; 2, an assistant coach; 3, a 1st round pick with a guaranteed 2-year contract; or 4, a returning player who earned at least $100,000 last year in the NBA.  Any player who earned less than $100,000 last year is typically someone who was just picked up on a 10-day or end of season contract, which is why they are listed with 2nd round players who often don’t make rosters under “trying out.”  Of course there are other players like Jerel McNeal getting a good look from Charlotte who are “trying out” but not listed.

MU > Wisconsin and Big East > Big 10

The good news for recruiting in state is that Marquette’s 8 former players top the 2 for Wisconsin, and the Big East easily tops the Big 10 by a 69 to 42 margin.  

Here is the list for Wisconsin and the conference-by-conference ranking:

Wisconsin 2 - Harris, Devin (PG-New Jersey), Finley, Michael (SG/SF-Boston).  Trying out (2nd round, 10-day or end-of-season contacts, etc.);  Stiemsma, Greg (C-Minnesota) and Butch, Brian (C-Denver).  

Top Conferences (top 2 teams in each conference)
1. ACC (74) – UNC 22, Duke 17
2. Big East (69) – UConn 12, Marquette 8
3. Pac 10 (60) – UCLA 16, Arizona 11
4. SEC (53) – Kentucky 16, Florida 10
5. Big 12 (44) – Kansas 12, Texas 10
6. Big 10 (42) – Ohio State 10, Michigan State and Indiana tied 6
7. Atlantic 10 (20) – Xavier 5, St. Joe’s 3
8. Mountain West (14) – UNLV 7, New Mexico 2
9. WAC (10) – Fresno State 3, Nevada 3
10. Conference USA (10) – Memphis 5, Marshall 2 AND West Coast Conference (10) – Gonzaga 3, Santa Clara 2

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2010/06/recruits-big-east-2nd-best-path-to-nba.html

PBRme

• All American
WOW Louisville only three.  No surprise none of their players ended up coaching.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Daniel

• All American
Are these stats since the Big East formed, or when Marquette got to the Big East or something else??  Of course, the Big East has 16 schools too - more than lots of conferences.....thanks - interesting stuff :)

bilsu

• All American
I do not expect anyone to take the time to figure it out, but it would be really interesting to see the numbers, if you removed the McDonald All-americans from the list. Doc Rivers was our only McDonald's all-american. For teams like North Carolina and Duke they are like dime a dozen players.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
These stats are a little misleading. For 1 why would you include coaches. I don't think any high school players are looking at which team has the most coaches in the league.

Second of all to determine the best path to the NBA one should really look at a larger window than just who's currently in the league. I'll admit my main motivation in posting is to defend georgetown. For instance we've had a lot of NBA players recently retire or leave the league. If one looked at this including a wider window we'd shoot up the list. In the opposite direction Uconn has a lot of players that will be out of the league in a couple of years: Ray Allen, rip Hamilton, Ben Gordon, Caron Butler will probably all be out of the league within 5 years if not sooner. All these players should count for a schools record of getting players into the league.

Georgetown has had a player drafted for the last 4 years straight only Syracuse can claim the same. I'm just pointing out there are several ways to look at this.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
Well, I don't think any high school players are looking at which schools had the most players drafted 20 years ago and are now retired.  Players want to know which schools, currently, can get them to the NBA.

I kinda agree, though, that coaches shouldn't be on the list, if you are looking at this for recruitment-type purposes.

ron burgundy

• Walk-On
These stats are a little misleading. For 1 why would you include coaches. I don't think any high school players are looking at which team has the most coaches in the league.

Second of all to determine the best path to the NBA one should really look at a larger window than just who's currently in the league. I'll admit my main motivation in posting is to defend georgetown. For instance we've had a lot of NBA players recently retire or leave the league. If one looked at this including a wider window we'd shoot up the list. In the opposite direction Uconn has a lot of players that will be out of the league in a couple of years: Ray Allen, rip Hamilton, Ben Gordon, Caron Butler will probably all be out of the league within 5 years if not sooner. All these players should count for a schools record of getting players into the league.

Georgetown has had a player drafted for the last 4 years straight only Syracuse can claim the same. I'm just pointing out there are several ways to look at this.

Completely agree. This is an amusing list, to say the least. The reason coaches and assistant coaches are included, hoyasincebirth, is because they help MU in this particular ranking. Take them out and MU falls to the middle of the pack.

And I agree with you as well that high school kids dont look at where NBA coaches went to school. Ridiculous. Based on this list, why doesnt MU continually spit out first round talent, then?

The last MU player to get drafted in the lottery was....Dwayne Wade? Who was the last lottery pick before that? Create a list of schools that have developed lottery picks and that might be more interesting. Or first round draft picks. These are the things that high school kids look at...

HoopsMalone

• All American
Completely agree. This is an amusing list, to say the least. The reason coaches and assistant coaches are included, hoyasincebirth, is because they help MU in this particular ranking. Take them out and MU falls to the middle of the pack.

And I agree with you as well that high school kids dont look at where NBA coaches went to school. Ridiculous. Based on this list, why doesnt MU continually spit out first round talent, then?

The last MU player to get drafted in the lottery was....Dwayne Wade? Who was the last lottery pick before that? Create a list of schools that have developed lottery picks and that might be more interesting. Or first round draft picks. These are the things that high school kids look at...

You can always shift the data to show what you what to hear.  If I was a recruit, I would look at a school and see if it has a trend of getting kids paid if I thought that I had a chance.  The lottery is a factor, but that is very rare and would be better to have a wider view.  If you are good enough for the lottery, it is probably because God blessed you with talent.  The school you went to will not necessarily put you in the lottery. 

Removing all stats but the lottery picks is just as misleading as you suggest this study is. 

At the end of the day, there is nothing misleading about kids getting paid.  And Marquette has now put 4 players in the league in the last few years who were not really sure things to go like lottery picks are thanks to their God-given talent.  Marquette has a nice track record here.

MuMark

• All American
Moat lottery picks are not "developed".

The kids at Kentucky would have been lottery picks wherever they went to college.

Greg Monroe would have gone in the lottery right out of high school. Roy Hibbert was developed....so were DWade and Devin Harris.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
I think past NBA players still play a part in recruiting decisions. If a player was an NBA player especially a star while the kid was growing up that plays a factor. Everyone knows Ewing, Mourning, Mutumbo are huge recruiting tools for Georgetown despite the fact that they're not currently in the league. I mean mourning and mutumbo only retired a couple of seasons ago. 

I'd also argue that starters and rotation players count much more in terms of providing a recruiting benefit than do people at the very end of the roster that recruits have never heard of and never see the floor so no one even knows they're in the NBA. In my mind people like jeff green, wes mathews, Dawyne wade count a lot more than someone like chris quinn and malik allen.

Marquette has done a very good job at getting kids to the NBA, but so have schools like Uconn, Syracuse, Georgetown, etc.

I think the list of teams with the most first round picks is another way to look at this. In the the big east: Uconn, Louisville, Syracuse 15; Georgetown 12(10 of which were top 10 picks); ND 11; st. john's 9; Depaul, villanova 8; Marquete 7. Obviously some of this history is not as relevant as more recent events, but it's definitely part of the equation.

chapman

• All American
Take them out and MU falls to the middle of the pack into a tie for THIRD.

Nice first post.  Now crawl back into your hole.

Agree that coaches shouldn't count.  And things are a little misleading with the second rounders not counting as they're "trying out", but free agents who might barely get that much of an opportunity are counted...I'd consider Harangody or DeSean Butler more likely to make an NBA roster this year over Diener.  Also agree with hoya that historical significance matters, maybe not as much as recent player development (particularly under a current coach or since joining a new conference), but a program with history is always more of a draw.  It's definitely on more recruits' minds that A.I. went to Georgetown than it is that Novak went to MU, even if most talent levels are closer in line with the later.

ron burgundy

• Walk-On
Most lottery picks are not "developed".

Evan Turner (Jr)- 59th Overall on Scout
Wes Johnson (Jr)
Ekpe Udoh (Jr)
Cole Aldrich (Jr) - 38th overall on Scout

And 13 first rounders were upper classmen (out of 29. 1 european)

RawdogDX

• All American

? - 2 spots to 4th.

HSB: Yes, having a recent hall of fame players is good for your team.  This is an article on places that have NBA players now, of course there are plenty of other ways to look at it.  I wish that coaches weren't included so that we all could have been proud of being 4th rather than having to discus it.  

MU has shown a nack at developing the tools needed for players to survive in the league.  There is no way that Lazar goes in the first round without TD, SN, WM going before him and provding GM's with a track record of success.

bilsu

• All American
Does including Doc Rivers in the list make us look bad since his sons go elsewhere? Think about it he went to MU, is on the MU Board of Trustees, MU is currently perceived as a guard school, his sons are guards and we are not even considered by them.

PBRme

• All American
I think they talked about not wanting to play in his shadow.  Doc says nothing but great things about MU.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

marquette99

• Starter
nba coaches should count
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 03:13:26 PM »
Completely disagree with hoyasincebirth on coaches.  Seeing doc rivers and dwayne wade go back and forth with "marquette" on the screen in recent telecasts gets attention.  I've got to think knowing a top nba coach who has influence over who is drafted and is visible is more of a plus than a benchwarming player.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
All good comments ... obviously Dwayne Wade and Doc Rivers are worth much more than your typical player, just as Travis Diener is certainly borderline on coming back next year.  However, if you start trying to assign specific values you get real subjective.

However, having a legend like Maurice Lucas - which the recent Basketball Book basically gave credit over Bill Walton for the NBA title - still coaching and having a presence in the league is certainly worth something out west, just as Doc is a huge factor nationally.  Certainly there are coaches who carry a lot more weight than some players if you are looking for an NBA presence.  The fact that the Badgers don't have a single coach and may be down to one player says something about why a Vander Blue would just start to realize that this isn't a good path.

Also, in respect to our Hoya fan, part of the point is that the Big East is the only conference where EVERY team could be represented - so while we can argue over whether Marquette is 2nd or 4th in the conference, part of the point is that they are getting into the right conference in the first place.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
Why are so many people misspelling Dwyane Wade's name? Embarrassing.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 04:33:26 PM by Blue Horseshoe »

4everwarriors

• All American
Didn't Stan coach the Badgers?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadefan#1

• Starter
Why are so many people misspelling Dwyane Wade's name? Embarrassing.

Indeed, just terrible

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
I'd argue almost no one knows what schools the majority of NBA coaches attended. I'd also argue it doesn't come up that much, but I don't really follow the NBA that closely so perhaps it gets brought up all the time. I'm sure it comes up more often with coaches who played in college and the NBA. I mean what college did phil jackson go to? I don't think most people can even name all the NBA head coaches much less what college they went to. And assistant coaches even less so.

I am very proud of the big east and all the amazing programs that are in the big east especially the catholic ones like Georgetown and Marquette. I just don't think where coaches went to college is on any recruits radar. The example of Doc rivers i think it matters more that he played basketball for marquette and played in the NBA more so that he's now a coach. I'm just saying that the argument is that kids want to play for programs that can help them play in the NBA. I don't think any recruit is thinking hey this program has a track record of sending former players on to being NBA assistant coaches.

I get bothered by broad generalized statements like Big East 2nd best path to NBA. The statement implies that going to the big east will get you into the NBA. It's just as likely that NBA quality players are committing to the big east. The big east attracts talent and therefore more people get drafted from the BE. I think these stats are interesting and great recruiting tools. But too often they're used to imply causation when it's simply a correlation.

marquette99

• Starter
Sorry Dwyane - typing on blackberry sometimes inverts letters.I believe subjectively marquette is actually underrated by these counts if the question is really the best path to the nba.  Unc et al get several sure fire nba players each year.  Maybe the top 40 recruits each year project to make it to the nba one day.  Did we have any top 40 recruits between doc rivers and vander blue?  Certainly wade was nowhere close coming out of high school, and I don't believe diener, wes, novak or lazar were top 40 either.  Has any other school in the past decade taken 5 recruits who were not expected to go to the nba when they came to campus, but left campus heading to the nba?  Noone is arguing that the 5-star one-and-dones are going to all start choosing mu over ky, ks, unc, ucla and duke. But for the top 4-stars and some 5-stars or jc all-americans blooming a little late, mu could really be developing a nitch as the program that can turn you into an nba player. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American

So you want to expand the window, but also exclude those that "will be out of the league in a couple of years".  Sounds to me like you need a GPS to figure out where you're going.

Avenue Commons

• All American

Agreed that coaches, especially assistant coaches shouldn't be included on a list of "getting players to the NBA." At what point do you also include front officer personnel, etc.? Only players matter.

Also, should there be "weight" given to the route a player takes to get there? There might be an argument that Wes Matthews having to go from an undrafted free agent to the NBA doesn't reflect well on MU's "clout." Bottom line is we have had 2 NBA first round picks in the last decade, 2 second rounders, and 1 undrafted free agent. A nice record, but nothing compared to the UConns, KUs, NCs and Kentuckys of the world.

As for UConn, in five years it is possible that all of those players, yes even Ray Allen, are still in the league somewhere.
We Are Marquette

RawdogDX

• All American
I'd argue almost no one knows what schools the majority of NBA coaches attended. I'd also argue it doesn't come up that much, but I don't really follow the NBA that closely so perhaps it gets brought up all the time. I'm sure it comes up more often with coaches who played in college and the NBA. I mean what college did phil jackson go to? I don't think most people can even name all the NBA head coaches much less what college they went to. And assistant coaches even less so.
Yeah, so what?  Go pen an article that doesn't include coaches, this one did.

I am very proud of the big east and all the amazing programs that are in the big east especially the catholic ones like Georgetown and Marquette. I just don't think where coaches went to college is on any recruits radar.
Probably not, what's your point?  Out of millions of articles on basketball this one talked about coaches.
The example of Doc rivers i think it matters more that he played basketball for Marquette and played in the NBA more so that he's now a coach. I'm just saying that the argument is that kids want to play for programs that can help them play in the NBA. I don't think any recruit is thinking hey this program has a track record of sending former players on to being NBA assistant coaches. probably not, until they read this article.

I get bothered by broad generalized statements like Big East 2nd best path to NBA. The statement implies that going to the big east will get you into the NBA.
No it doesn't.  At least not to anyone with enough reading comp to go to MU
It's just as likely that NBA quality players are committing to the big east. The big east attracts talent and therefore more people get drafted from the BE.
Did this claim somewhere that we are #2 despite having less god given talent?  I must have missed that.
I think these stats are interesting and great recruiting tools.
So why all the complaining?
But too often they're used to imply causation when it's simply a correlation.
Oh, please.  So you don't think there is any causation?  If a 17 year old is talented it doesn't matter where he goes to school?  At that point in time his future draft status is already determined?  Whatever.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
So you want to expand the window, but also exclude those that "will be out of the league in a couple of years".  Sounds to me like you need a GPS to figure out where you're going.

Sorry if i was unclear. My point is that looking at players currently in the league is only a snap shot. 5 years from now the players currently in the league will be different. That shouldn't take away from the fact that that school has put those players into the league.

With regards to Avennue, yes there's a chance all those guys could be playing in 5 years, it was just an example, but they very well could be out of the league in that time frame.

Rawdog i don't know why you're so defensive, this thread is talking about this article which is why i'm discussing it.

And the article absolutely is implying what i'm suggesting. By stating Marquette is the 2nd best path to the NBA it implies going to marquette will get you into the NBA while going to a different school you are less likely to get into the NBA. I'm just saying stating the raw numbers does not prove that. I'm not complaining and I don't know why you attack so many of my statements and misinterpret them. It may be purely a semantic argument. Most players who make it in the NBA will get there no matter where they go to school and no matter where you go to school you will not make it in the NBA if you don't have the natural ability. I think most people would agree with that.

I think coaching staffs and programs can help develop certain prospects and help them achieve their goal of making it in the NBA, but i'd argue it's more on the player themselves and the work they put in than anything the coach does. The player has to put in the work the coach can't control everything. Coaches provide opportunities, but the players have to have the determination to put in the work in the off season and to put into practice a coaches instruction.  I think more credit should go to the players for their development than the coaches. We all like to think our coaching staffs know something that other staffs don't or are better at teaching certain things than others. I really don't think there's that big of a difference between the top 50 coaches in terms of what they can offer a kid as far as instruction. I think if you put Dwayne wade or Lazard Hayward on any of these other teams they would've gotten to the league just as well.

RawdogDX

• All American
Sorry if i was unclear. My point is that looking at players currently in the league is only a snap shot. 5 years from now the players currently in the league will be different. That shouldn't take away from the fact that that school has put those players into the league.
Yes, looking at current players it is a snap shot.  It's the snap shot we are using.  And we'll be proud of if you don't mind.  And yes if they are no longer in the league than it will effect the rankings of the teams.  Because This is a list of teams with players currently in the NBA.  There are other lists out there with most players drafted in the last 10, 20, or 50 years.

Rawdog i don't know why you're so defensive, this thread is talking about this article which is why I'm discussing it.
I'm not 'so defensive,' you must have one of those new Tone of Voice Readers.  Really a pointless way to respond, this thread is talking about this article which is why I'm discussing your criticisms of it.  Which are largely pointless, self serving, and wildly inconsistent.

And the article absolutely is implying what I'm suggesting. By stating Marquette is the 2ND best path to the NBA it implies going to Marquette will get you into the NBA while going to a different school you are less likely to get into the NBA. Yes, I 100% believe that there are plenty of schools that Travis, Novak, Wes and Lazar could have gone to and not been in the NBA today.
I'm just saying stating the raw numbers does not prove that. Prove, like in a court of law?  You are going way off the deep end.  No one is saying that, it's a freaking puff piece about our school's recent NBA success
I'm not complaining yes you areand I don't know why you attack so many of my statements because they were lame/self serving/obvious.and misinterpret themexample?.
It may be purely a semantic argument. Most players who make it in the NBA will get there no matter where they go to school horse bollocks, where is the proof of that?and no matter where you go to school you will not make it in the NBA if you don't have the natural ability. I think most people would agree with that. no $h!t, that's why i didn't think it needs to be stated in every article about what schools have a lot of draft picks.  I guess the author could have pointed out that all the players discussed are men.

I think coaching staffs and programs can help develop certain prospects and help them achieve their goal of making it in the NBA, but I'd argue it's more on the player themselves and the work they put in than anything the coach does.
Yes, BUT that player is going to be himself no matter where he goes, the only thing that changes when he picks a school is coaches and teammates.  I don't think this point is contradicted in the article
The player has to put in the work the coach can't control everything. Coaches provide opportunities, but the players have to have the determination to put in the work in the off season and to put into practice a coaches instruction.  I think more credit should go to the players for their development than the coaches.
You are officially not talking about the article now.  Please point to the exact spot where someone said that coaches control everything and that players don't work themselves into a draft spot.  In the case of MU we have 4 players who probably wouldn't be there if they didn't bust their ass in college.  You can just say that they would all have made it at 100% of the D1 schools out there, but you won't convince me. 
We all like to think our coaching staffs know something that other staffs don't or are better at teaching certain things than others. Every Game MU plays announcers talk about how hard they play, I suppose that is just because they all have that work ethic when they get here.
I really don't think there's that big of a difference between the top 50 coaches in terms of what they can offer a kid as far as instruction. I think if you put Dwayne wade or Lazard Hayward on any of these other teams they would've gotten to the league just as well. Really? Dwayne wade a potential top 20 all time player would have made it into the NBA?  Duh.  Lazar though?  There are plenty of places where he probably would not have been a first round pick.  I'd go so far as to guess the majority, playing out of position, and the tools he developed doing so, will continue to help him.

If you want to rewrite the list without coaches and without players who have been in the league more than 8 years and perhaps only counting players who don't have guaranteed $ as half a player and you can add a half point for players that were drafted in the last 3 years but are no longer on a team.  Then do it, perhaps GT will be 1st!

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
Sheesh calm down man :D Marquette has plenty of reasons to be proud. I certainly wasn't trying to take away from marquette's accomplishments and I'm very proud of the success has had as a fellow jesuit institution. I'm not attacking anyone. I'm just debating some points of the article. THe main of which the presence of coaches many people seem to agree with me about. Just trying to have a friendly discussion on a message board.

I stand by my point that some players no matter how hard they work do not have the physical talents to make it in the NBA and some players have the physical gifts that they can make it from almost anywhere. An example of the former is scottie reynolds. Very good college player, but does not have the athleticism or size to play at the NBA level. No matter how hard he tries he's not going to grow any taller of become athletic enough. On the other hand take a player like Hamdye N'diaye of Rutgers. Only been playing the game for 6 years and had fred hill as a coach. Do you really think fred Hill did something special to turn him into an NBA player? No his natural ability and athleticism is what led to him getting drafted. I'm not saying this is a 100% stead fast rule. There certainly are cases where a player may not have reached their potential with out a coaching staff. But even so they need to have had certain innate abilities in the first place and they need to have the work effort to do what the coaching staff is asking of them. I just think most coaching staffs have the ability to turn those players into NBA players. You don't think Hayward could've made it to the NBA from michigan st, duke, butler, ucla, or any other decently coached team?

I have no desire to fight about this, you're clearly very angry and rude. I didn't insult anyone or trash marquette. I'm sorry you feel the need to relate to fellow posters in this way. Good luck next season.

RawdogDX

• All American
Dude, Really?  The only things that makes me mad on message boards is when people:
1)  Tell me to calm down
2)  Use me being 'angry' as an excuse not to defend their points.
3)  Passive aggressive BS (ie: i'm sorry you feel a need to relate to posters that way, admittedly I do this all the time so I'm not one to talk)
4)  When someone tells someone else I'm talking to not to bother responding to me because I won't listen to rational arguments.

I'm not mad now, despite you hitting on 3 of those in your last two posts (if you tell me to calm down again I will be).  I just think that your complaints are invalid.  

I agree with your 2nd paragraph BUT, as I stated.  1: this is not contradicted in the article and is known to anyone who follows basketball(so it shouldn't need to be stated).  2:  Where a player goes to school doesn't change his, height or athletic ability.  So without some advanced matrix which breaks down players based on athleticism, size & highschool ranking, what you are asking for can not be done.  

Aside: if you did do that, I'm pretty sure MU's rating to about the same place if not higher nationally.  

Tip:  When reading responses have a cheerful, friendly voice in your head.  That is how I'd talk if you met me.  

Edit: I forgot #5) People from wisconsin who bad mouth IL for no reason other than their inferiority complex. ;)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 04:00:53 PM by RawdogDX »

RawdogDX

• All American

So without some advanced matrix which breaks down players based on athleticism, size & highschool ranking, what you are asking for can not be done.  

Aside: if you did do that, I'm pretty sure MU's rating to about the same place if not higher nationally.  

That's right, I'm quoting myself.

Actually I'm excited to think how we might stack up and it doesn't sound to hard.  Schools get bonuses for players who score lower on Class Ranking X Size relative to position X Some sort of athleticism rating.  Pull all the players that have entered the NBA for the last 10 years and see how MU stacks up.  Come on math geeks make it happen.

feedback