Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wring out the Hoyas  (Read 12889 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Wring out the Hoyas
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2016, 11:34:13 PM »
I am one who rarely complains about the refs, and I thought they generally did just fine tonight. Still, the one missed a blatant double-dribble right in front of him -- every bit as egregious as the NBA one that was missed a few weeks ago. And then GT immediately hit a 3 afterward. Got my blood boiling!

Also, the ref standing right there didn't call the foul on Rowsey's 3-point shot. The ref from all the way under the basket called it ... a couple seconds later. Which of course pissed off the GT folks (even though it was an obvious call).

My other observation is that, wherever he is, MUFINY must be bummed that his 0-18 prediction is now kaput.

Some of those defensive calls around the basket were piss poor.

Also, hey, the BC is showing replays again!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2016, 11:35:48 PM »
My favorite moment of the game...JJJ had dunked then steal and streaking for dunk2. And you could see Pryor would have none of it. I was at that basket and you could see it in Pryor's face vectoring in on JJJ...I saw a hard foul coming because JJJ Was on a mission too....then Katin shoulder to shoulder put Pryor off course...clean but aggressive...and JJJ HAD HIS DUNK2 while Pryor could only nudge him after the fact. Pryor was seriously demoralized! Great job JJJ and Katin!!

That was Haanif.  He was running down the middle of the court and *just happened* to get in the way of the pursuing Pryor, who saw Haanif and gave him a shoulder nudge.  When GT immediately took the TO, Haanif ran over to JJ, while Pryor *conveniently* happened to be right in his path to JJ and Haanif started yelling right in front of Pryor.  Good stuff.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2016, 11:43:27 PM »
Everyone contributed something meaningful tonight.  Great team effort.  Great team defense.  The picked defender was quicker to recover to the ball handler, and the picker defender was quicker to recover to that picker when the ball handling defender recovered to his man.  Most of the shots they made were well defended, tough shots.  Props to Pryor for hitting them.

Howard is a stud.  We can really shoot the ball as a team.

Great game by JJJ.

That pass to Luke by Rowsey off of the dribble drive was outstanding.

Love that when one or two guys we're used to having big contributions offensively are off, we may not lose the game.

Liked going to Matt early even though Luke wasn't in foul trouble.  Seemed like Wojo was going to Matt the whistle before media timeouts, probably partially to save Luke some foul trouble and probably also to give Luke an extra minute of a breather while only being on the bench for 30 seconds of game time.  Also think the matchup helped make this work, as throwing the ball into Luke and letting him go straight post wasn't going to work against Georgetown's size down low, and the difference between Matt and Luke defensively isn't great.

Having said all that, an under the radar great game by Luke.  Great defense and rebounding.

I wish one of Howard or Rowsey was about 5 inches taller.  Maybe Howard will hit that growth spurt here any day...

Big win, biggest game of the year this weekend.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2016, 11:58:51 PM »
My favorite play of the night was a JJJ dunk in the first half off a curl. It got the crowd going, but it was my favorite because of the pass. Markus put that in the perfect spot for an easy basket. His shooting was great, but he has some very good PG skills.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2016, 11:59:13 PM »
I liked the way Hauser played tonight. Even though his shot was not falling, his defense and rebounding were key. He kept playing hard and didn't let his struggles on the offensive end carry over.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2016, 01:47:00 AM »
Really encouraging - now the trick is to keep it up game in and game out

MH unbelievable - 23 pts on 10 shots (8 less The Pryor) - great efficiency - I think there could be a strong case by the end of he year he is better CBB frosh than Hank.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2016, 05:33:23 AM »
Great team win.
All of you had great analysis.
Wins over the Hoyas always feel good.

Let's keep it going Sunday!

I trust the board will have duane updates as we move forward...

I think one of the most impressive things thus far is how he has embraced his role off the bench. I respect him even more for that! (duane)

Great win Warriors!

I hope JJJ's 'lazy' comments in post-game don't get blown up. He was just talking and didn't mean anything by it. But at the same time, I really don't care. Because my dislike for G-Town is deep.

I'll be at the Rock to cheer them on. Any other east coast warriors going to the game?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2016, 07:15:12 AM »
I'll be at the Rock to cheer them on. Any other east coast warriors going to the game?

Maybe.  My Seton Hall friends will be visiting my house on Friday and we will discuss.

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2016, 07:51:06 AM »
Great team win.
All of you had great analysis.
Wins over the Hoyas always feel good.

Let's keep it going Sunday!

I trust the board will have duane updates as we move forward...

I think one of the most impressive things thus far is how he has embraced his role off the bench. I respect him even more for that! (duane)

Great win Warriors!

I hope JJJ's 'lazy' comments in post-game don't get blown up. He was just talking and didn't mean anything by it. But at the same time, I really don't care. Because my dislike for G-Town is deep.

The "lazy" comments were all over twitter last night.  And #mubball was actually trending for a little bit.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2016, 07:55:06 AM »
One thing I liked, especially after GT came back from 16-2 down to tie the game (at 26 I believe) was that we always answered the bell. Every time they would make a run to get back in it, we would shut it down before it got out of control and answer by stretching the lead back out. At no point last night did it seem like Georgetown was the better team. That was a good feeling.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2016, 08:21:03 AM »

I hope it does and he backs it up in DC.  Would like to see JJJ playing a little nasty from here on out. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2016, 08:30:02 AM »
JjJ probably could have been a little less blunt on his "lazy" comment, but then again... some fairly simple curls were just money. Looked too easy much of the time. He saw something and made em pay
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2016, 08:38:55 AM »
Incredible picky nitpick here ...

I am thrilled that Markus made those early 3-pointers, helped set the tone of the game. But had he missed them, I would have said: "Man, those were awfully early in the shot clock and came before we passed the ball at all."

In general, I love our 3s that come on ball movement and in transition, and I hate our 3s that come on one or fewer passes.

They did work out for Markus in this game, so all's good.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Ring out the Hoyas
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2016, 09:00:39 AM »
I thought Katin played within himself tonight. He only took 6 shots. One nice spin drive IIRC and a post-up. On at least 2-3 of the others, he got the ball at the very end of the possession and had to put one up β€” whether it was a good shot or not.

And he made the good moves. He was sort of the "zone breaker" by getting in position at the FT line when Gtown played the zone stretch. It was nice to see.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2016, 09:03:58 AM »
Love that play against a zone.   In a modern zone, the top players are soooooo high, out above the 3 pt line.   The foul line is wide open.   Having Katin flash to that spot, turn and hit kills the zone.   IIRC, Buzz had Wes do something similar against the zone.   Sam is going to be deadly at that in another year. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2016, 09:15:18 AM »
Incredible picky nitpick here ...

I am thrilled that Markus made those early 3-pointers, helped set the tone of the game. But had he missed them, I would have said: "Man, those were awfully early in the shot clock and came before we passed the ball at all."

In general, I love our 3s that come on ball movement and in transition, and I hate our 3s that come on one or fewer passes.

They did work out for Markus in this game, so all's good.

If it is a shot within the player's range and within the flow of the offense, that's all a coach is going to be concerned about at that point in the game.

Let's not get wrapped up in the Bo-ification of basketball where you need to have a certain number of passes or work the shot clock.  This team plays better the more possessions it has. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2016, 09:18:39 AM »
Love that play against a zone.   In a modern zone, the top players are soooooo high, out above the 3 pt line.   The foul line is wide open.   Having Katin flash to that spot, turn and hit kills the zone.   IIRC, Buzz had Wes do something similar against the zone.   Sam is going to be deadly at that in another year.

I started referring to it as the "Lazar Hayward," then the "Jimmy Butler," then the "Jae Crowder" spot in the zone. We've had a few guys exploit zones that way. If you have one guy flashing to that spot that can hit the aprx foul line jumper + some shooters on the wing to give him a pass option, we are dangerous against a zone.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2016, 09:38:35 AM »
Getting a decent sized shooter to the foul line area against the zone, particularly if they are also versatile enough to make plays off the dribble and pass effectively kills the zone.  All  of the aforementioned fit that category.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2016, 09:39:33 AM »
That was Haanif.  He was running down the middle of the court and *just happened* to get in the way of the pursuing Pryor, who saw Haanif and gave him a shoulder nudge.  When GT immediately took the TO, Haanif ran over to JJ, while Pryor *conveniently* happened to be right in his path to JJ and Haanif started yelling right in front of Pryor.  Good stuff.

Thanks for Sharing, these are very important things that you can't find in the stats.

Only in the eye of the beholders.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2016, 09:47:16 AM »
I was pleased with Reinhardt tonight. Played within himself, better shot selection. I'm hoping this is the start of him getting on track.
I agree with you, but man this is so disappointing.  What a difference a capable Reinhardt could make for this team.

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Ring out the Hoyas
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2016, 09:50:13 AM »

Haanif does everything well.  He didn't score much but played real good defense and took over at point when Howard and Rowsey were in foul trouble.  Glue guy.
35 min
1-6 FG
0-2 3pts
3 Rebs
3 points
4 assts
1 steal
2 TOs.

HC did play decent D last night, however that jump pass to no one continues to be an issue. He is having trouble getting the ball over the rim, unlike last year. If HC has to play point for an extended period of time, MU will be survival/maintain mode.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2016, 10:51:22 AM »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2016, 10:54:00 AM »

If it is a shot within the player's range and within the flow of the offense, that's all a coach is going to be concerned about at that point in the game.

Just read Matt V's recap http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2016/12/28/mu-76-georgetown-66-johnson-howard-lead-way/95910488/ and Wojo specifically commented on this.  Howard pulled up and shot in the middle of a called play - Wojo: "it was one of those 'uhhh, good shot'.  He was terrific".

The other thing that jumped out to me from his write up was the D - G'towns second half field goal % was 37.8 and Wojo's comment that our D was not affected when we hit some rough spots on the offensive end.  One game does not a pattern make but I'll take it as a great sign of improvement.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2016, 10:55:55 AM »
Lots of good stuff going on last night. My only criticism is that the defense needs to keep improving, Although I thought it was better,  I thought that Luke was a little slow getting back off the high double team. Just looked like he out there figuring out where to be next. I think they have and will continue to improve on D. Feeling optimistic but I want to keep that in check, I felt this way before the Michigan game. Go Warriors, Ring Out Ahoya Sunday!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2016, 11:14:45 AM »
http://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/thread/29947/most-hated-opponents-201602917

Apparently the Hoya fans don't like Wojo.   ;D

Wojo was annoying as a player, but he doesn't seem particularly annoying as a coach.