Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wes Matthews' Number  (Read 3787 times)

wadefan#1

• Starter
Wes Matthews' Number
« on: July 21, 2010, 06:21:55 PM »
Why is Wes wearing number two? I am wondering if any of you know.

chcsportsfan

• Scholarship Player
Re: Wes Matthews' Number
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 06:30:58 PM »
Probably because LBJ suggested to everyone to not wear 23 anymore in honor of Jordan, who interestingly enough criticized James on his decision to go play in Miami...

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 06:54:38 PM »
of course jordan criticized lebron. 1. jordan is a jerk. 2. lebron is better than he is so jordan is a defensive jerk.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
1. Yes
2. No

Markusquette

• All American

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 08:35:20 PM »
of course jordan criticized lebron. 1. jordan is a jerk. 2. lebron is better than he is so jordan is a defensive jerk.

"Thank you for playing. Should we, or should we not, listen to the advice of the galactically stupid!"

Josey Wales

• Starter
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 09:22:09 PM »
Why is Wes wearing number two? I am wondering if any of you know.

He's wearing it in honor of Vander Blue and he's going to be twice as good as his dad (who wore #1).

Yes, I just made that up.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 10:15:59 PM »

"Thank you for playing. Should we, or should we not, listen to the advice of the galactically stupid!"

Well done on quoting my second favorite movie of all time...just recently beat out by Inception.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 10:26:34 PM »
Well done on quoting my second favorite movie of all time...just recently beat out by Inception.

Teal?

Guess not...just saw the Superbar thread.  Nevermind.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 10:29:50 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 11:53:58 AM »

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 02:35:58 PM »
I know it is inevitable to happen in sports because we all love lists and rankings and such, but really LBJ and Jordan just shouldn't be compared, really no two players should especially when they are from different eras of the game.  If they two were to play one-on-one, who would win?  I could make a case for MJ or LBJ. Who was better George Mikan, a revolutionary in the game of basketball, or Kareem the more recent and the one with more titles?  Just gets to be too cumbersome of a project and argument in my opinion at least.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 02:55:40 PM »
Kareem. sky hook.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 03:04:19 PM »
Probably because LBJ suggested to everyone to not wear 23 anymore in honor of Jordan, who interestingly enough criticized James on his decision to go play in Miami...

James honoring Jordan does not preclude Jordan from criticizing him.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 03:15:27 PM »
MJ saying he would have carried himself differently than James in free agency is not necessarily a criticism.  It is just what it is on its face, Jordan would have rather beaten Wade than join him.  Maybe Lebron is smarter?

Jordan did say that Kobe was better than Lebron, but that is no insult either.

The media took MJ and Magic's comments into a direction that creates controversy.  The media are also the people who crowned James the King and gave James MJ and Magic's legacy at age 18.  Lebron is no MJ or Magic.  Who cares.  Lebron is the first Lebron.  He is not as good as Jordan, so be it.  Getting to Jordan's status is not reachable for many.  Not many scoring champions, defensive players of the year, and multiple MVP guards will win 6 titles without inside scoring.  It's not fair to Lebron to hold him to that standard.

I like the Wes/Vander connection though.  Hopefully Wes and Vander will agree to do an interview with their hometown newspaper about the coincidence.  If the Wisconsin State Journal can't get an interview with Wes, how can they report Wes' number change?

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 03:24:45 PM »
I dont get any effort/argument for the retiring/honoring of Jordan's 23 , as a league wide effort. Jordan is not Jackie Robinson, who's color barrier break was of great MLB influence and supported his jersey No. retirement ---league wide.
Jordan is not Bill Russell, who won 10 rings.
Jordan is not Magic/Bird, whose rivalry was  much more contributory to the resurgence/profile now enjoyed by the entire league.
The Bulls retirement of 23 is quite enough.
Stop the suck up effort LBJ-- if you really wanted Jordan respect/friendship you would have either had to beat him out of championships in his day (not poss.), or go win a bunch of your own.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 05:08:11 PM »
MJ saying he would have carried himself differently than James in free agency is not necessarily a criticism.  It is just what it is on its face, Jordan would have rather beaten Wade than join him.  Maybe Lebron is smarter?

Jordan did say that Kobe was better than Lebron, but that is no insult either.

The media took MJ and Magic's comments into a direction that creates controversy.  The media are also the people who crowned James the King and gave James MJ and Magic's legacy at age 18.  Lebron is no MJ or Magic.  Who cares.  Lebron is the first Lebron.  He is not as good as Jordan, so be it.  Getting to Jordan's status is not reachable for many.  Not many scoring champions, defensive players of the year, and multiple MVP guards will win 6 titles without inside scoring.  It's not fair to Lebron to hold him to that standard.

I like the Wes/Vander connection though.  Hopefully Wes and Vander will agree to do an interview with their hometown newspaper about the coincidence.  If the Wisconsin State Journal can't get an interview with Wes, how can they report Wes' number change?

Pravda did have a nice AP article with a picture of Wesley holding up the new jersey in the paper today.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 06:00:39 PM »
Kareem. Alcindor. sky hook.

Fixed. ;)
SS Marquette