'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Don't count us out of the Diamond Stone sweepstakes  (Read 41660 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Don't count us out of the Diamond Stone sweepstakes
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2015, 10:50:22 AM »
Have heard something similar, but they will find a way.  They always do.  Maybe his cousin who is going to ND next year has to take the ACT for him, but they'll make it work.

Again, he either academically qualifies by NCAA standards or not.  There is no Madison "getting him in".  Stone can do all sorts of things both "legal" and "illegal" to meet the standards.  Madison then has to look at the total picture and decide if how Stone meets the standards is above board and/or worth a risk should the NCAA want to look into it.

The standards themselves do not change, merely what risk level a university wants to accept on a case by case basis.

I'm very willing to bet if Stone were a four year players, UW would take him.  However because he has red flags AND is likely to be a one and done....there is too much risk for Madison to take him.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2015, 10:53:10 AM »
Agreed.  Unfortunately, you paid the toll for trolls from the past who made academic standards comparisons for the two schools a hot button here.

BTW Murray, you now referin' to your package as Wade, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2015, 10:56:42 AM »

BTW Murray, you now referin' to your package as Wade, hey?

Why not?  It'd be playing in the All-Star Game, if it wasn't worn out.

...or maybe it started back in the thread about Wade's home basketball court.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:59:32 AM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2015, 11:11:03 AM »
Again, he either academically qualifies by NCAA standards or not.  There is no Madison "getting him in".  Stone can do all sorts of things both "legal" and "illegal" to meet the standards.  Madison then has to look at the total picture and decide if how Stone meets the standards is above board and/or worth a risk should the NCAA want to look into it.

The standards themselves do not change, merely what risk level a university wants to accept on a case by case basis.

I'm very willing to bet if Stone were a four year players, UW would take him.  However because he has red flags AND is likely to be a one and done....there is too much risk for Madison to take him.

That's my point.  Once he gets a passing grade to be eligible by NCAA standards, we will be hearing about his commitment to UW.  There isn't some higher standard that UW is going to hold Diamond to than the NCAA minimum requirements, despite what they and their fans want you to think.  See the other cases sited here.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2015, 11:17:26 AM »
That's my point.  Once he gets a passing grade to be eligible by NCAA standards, we will be hearing about his commitment to UW.  There isn't some higher standard that UW is going to hold Diamond to than the NCAA minimum requirements, despite what they and their fans want you to think.  See the other cases sited here.

If he is allowed to enter the hallowed halls of UW, what will all those Vadger boosters say about his book smarts?

My guess is we'll just hear crickets.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2015, 11:20:54 AM »
If he is allowed to enter the hallowed halls of UW, what will all those Vadger boosters say about his book smarts?

My guess is we'll just hear crickets.

Nah we'll hear about how hard working of a guy he is and how admirable it was that he worked so hard to get his grades straightened out.  To go along with how great the confidence he has in himself is with his Twitter name AllEyesOnMe and the interview answers about how he's "pretty dominant, can do pretty much anything down in the post."  Meanwhile, Henry's heNBA Twitter name is a sign of his arrogance and his parents are overbearing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2015, 11:21:35 AM »

This is exactly what I am hearing BTW.  You guys can bring up all the past players you want, but I have been told that he wants UW but that UW won't admit him.  If he ends up at a place like UConn, he will have met NCAA standards but not UW's.

Man, I have no insider info., but I have a hard time believing that if Stone qualifies UW won't take him.

Just seems like a no-brainer to me.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2015, 11:25:30 AM »
Man, I have no insider info., but I have a hard time believing that if Stone qualifies UW won't take him.

Just seems like a no-brainer to me.

Exactly.  Right now the Chancellor is saying no to Diamond to UW because Diamond has yet to get the 18 on his ACT that he needs to be eligible to play for any team in the NCAA.  Kentucky's chancellor, Marquette's chancellor, UCONN's chancellor, etc. are all saying no to Diamond right now too.  There is no other option.  Once that 18 somehow shows up on his ACT, that answer will be changing very quickly.

mjenzie

• Walk-On
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2015, 11:42:44 AM »
Marquette basketball fan and UW football fan, follow the football recruiting closely.  All I can tell you is that there have been around 8-10 football recruits who couldn't make it into Madison who were accepted at other schools.  Craig Evans, who is from Wisconsin was the one Anderson cited for leaving, he is played for Michigan State last year.  Things may have been different years ago, but now there definitely seems to be a much stricter guide line.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2015, 11:45:53 AM »
Exactly.  Right now the Chancellor is saying no to Diamond to UW because Diamond has yet to get the 18 on his ACT that he needs to be eligible to play for any team in the NCAA.  Kentucky's chancellor, Marquette's chancellor, UCONN's chancellor, etc. are all saying no to Diamond right now too.  There is no other option.  Once that 18 somehow shows up on his ACT, that answer will be changing very quickly.

Exactly. The only way UW and MU would say no to Diamond if he got his "18" would be if they thought someone else took the test for him. Maybe UCONN or Memphis wouldn't care.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2015, 11:52:21 AM »
Marquette basketball fan and UW football fan, follow the football recruiting closely.  All I can tell you is that there have been around 8-10 football recruits who couldn't make it into Madison who were accepted at other schools.  Craig Evans, who is from Wisconsin was the one Anderson cited for leaving, he is played for Michigan State last year.  Things may have been different years ago, but now there definitely seems to be a much stricter guide line.

I'd guess certain kids are evaluated on a case by case basis.

A highly ranked recruit who struggles with test taking, but seems to have the track record, aptitude and attitude to succeed might be accepted.

A medium ranked recruit who has had "issues" and a low test score might not be accepted*

*I'm not speaking of anybody specifically, just throwing out a scenario.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2015, 11:57:08 AM »
A medium ranked recruit who has had "issues" and a low test score might not be accepted*

*I'm not speaking of anybody specifically, just throwing out a scenario.

Damian Saunders

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2015, 12:04:47 PM »
Damian Saunders

count MU out, he is going to get into Madison, by hook or by crook. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2015, 12:07:21 PM »
Brent Moss on line one...

Rashard Griffith on line two.

Marcetteaus McGee on line 3

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2015, 12:14:02 PM »

Except, as mjenzie points out, other players have been turned away even this year.  The most recent example that people can come up with is John Clay - and that was seven years ago.

Maybe Canned is right - that they won't take risks on mid-level players, but will find a way for Diamond to get in like they found a way for Clay.  I guess time will tell.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2015, 12:40:03 PM »

Step back, all schools have this going on, this is a universal truth of high level college athletics.....just most schools don't put themselves on a cross like Madison does about their "standards"

The whole thing is an arbitrary process determined by admission employees in conjunction with athletic department personnel and NCAA compliance officers.  Each school will create a process that looks at the inputs of academics (character, transcripts, test scores, etc etc etc) and athletic (ranking, recruit evaluation,etc)....this produces the output of the student being in or not.  Each student is going to be unique for each school.  Additionally, they look at the risk in total of all students....so one student might not be admitted because they already have 6 "high risk" students in a sport, etc.

Schools will modify the results based on their risk threshold.  A school might be more "stringent" because it's had run ins with the NCAA recently and is skating on thin ice.  A school might be wide open because $EC. 

So if Madison isn't admitting some student athletes, it's because in the culmination of the risk-reward of the total compared to the talent, it doesn't justify that student.  To say Madison has higher standards implies some sort of altruistic believe in "student athletes" which is complete crap.

The Craig Evens issue is a classic example, just because he is at MSU doesn't mean that they have lower standards than Madison....could just mean in that particular recruit class that MSU had fewer risks than Madison did so they felt comfortable taking him where Madison didn't
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2015, 12:42:59 PM »

Whatever. I'll bet part of letting Anderson escape was to allow UW to write his exit script. Thus, all that "the academics at UW are just too stringent" garbage. The way UW loves to stroke itself, this wouldn't shock me.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2015, 01:00:06 PM »
Exactly. The only way UW and MU would say no to Diamond if he got his "18" would be if they thought someone else took the test for him. Maybe UCONN or Memphis wouldn't care.

FIFY ;)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2015, 01:14:29 PM »
I've seen it mentioned before about Dayne's brains if you will. Is there a link to a story once upon a time that revealed these tidbits? (for my Vadger co-workers that doubt)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:18:47 PM by Michael Kenyon »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2015, 01:24:31 PM »
I've seen it mentioned before about Dayne's brains if you will. Is there a link to a story once upon a time that revealed these tidbits? (for my Vadger co-workers that doubt)

Yep thanks.  Mixing up the NFL and NBA eligibility rules again.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2015, 01:31:22 PM »

Google Ron Dayne Wonderlic, he's a member of the single-digit club

jakeec

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2015, 01:34:44 PM »
Some poor commentary here.  Saying Dayne and Clay can't read?  I don't think we should go there.

How do you guys know he hasn't reached the minimum qualification with the ACT? I have read elsewhere that is not the issue.

Just because someone meets the NCAA qualifications doesn't mean they will automatically get into UW.  Not sure why this is hard to understand.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2015, 01:38:22 PM »

Just because someone meets the NCAA qualifications doesn't mean they will automatically get into UW.  Not sure why this is hard to understand.

I don't think too many are arguing that.

There is a teacher from RUSD that posts here that can confirm Clay's elementary reading level.

I think the ACT thing is merely speculation considering his announcements have been delayed around ACT test times, and I think that theory started on a Badger board.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2015, 01:49:03 PM »
Some poor commentary here.  Saying Dayne and Clay can't read?  I don't think we should go there.

How do you guys know he hasn't reached the minimum qualification with the ACT? I have read elsewhere that is not the issue.

Who said Clay couldn't read?  Dayne can't read.  Clay wasn't eligible at Racine Park (my mistake on saying Horlick originally), yet was an honor student at UW.

I have heard from more than 1 person who I *trust* would not be telling me if he didn't know it that Stone has taken the ACT multiple times and cannot get the 18 that he needs to meet NCAA eligibility requirements.  I believe there was a set of ACTs this past weekend, so maybe that news will change soon.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2015, 01:56:44 PM »
Who said Clay couldn't read?  Dayne can't read.  Clay wasn't eligible at Racine Park (my mistake on saying Horlick originally), yet was an honor student at UW.

I have heard from more than 1 person who I *trust* would not be telling me if he didn't know it that Stone has taken the ACT multiple times and cannot get the 18 that he needs to meet NCAA eligibility requirements.  I believe there was a set of ACTs this past weekend, so maybe that news will change soon.

Clay WAS eligible in HS. However, he didn't have the scores to be eligible to play at UW right away, needed to take summer classes and redshirted as a frosh. Not sure if the "honor student" at UW is true or not.

feedback