[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Per Twitter: Coach Wojo is busy...  (Read 26423 times)

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
Re: Per Twitter: Coach Wojo is busy...
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 01:40:44 AM »
Wojo's been going to work on the recruiting trail and it seems to be paying off
Here are all the offers we have out for 2015:

http://marquette.247sports.com/Season/2015-Basketball/Offers

I think some of these were offers made by Buzz. For example, I haven't heard anything about Wojo offering Daniel Giddens or Jaylen Brown, but I know that Buzz was pursuing them.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 06:13:20 AM »
But are they traditionals?
LOL ....

FROM SWITCHABLES...to TRADITIONALS.

Unreal....

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 06:48:03 AM »

Hold on...no one seriously suggested that right?

It true, many here were demanding Wojo go to Augusta the weekend of the Masters.  Problem is the commercial flights were sold out, no space in The airport for a private plane, and no hotel rooms were available. Other suggests he fly to Savannah or Atlanta and drive.

Of course he could have gone the week before or after and it was wide open.  But some here insisted if he did not go in the middle of the second round our basketball program was over.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 07:30:02 AM »
not to mention he may have already talked with Hill, assessed the chances were low and decided to prioritize his valuable time on recruits that are still possibly a yes...

but, yes it was implied that wojo and our program is going to be a failure cause wojo was not making the trip to Augusta during the masters week...

got to love the boards...

It true, many here were demanding Wojo go to Augusta the weekend of the Masters.  Problem is the commercial flights were sold out, no space in The airport for a private plane, and no hotel rooms were available. Other suggests he fly to Savannah or Atlanta and drive.

Of course he could have gone the week before or after and it was wide open.  But some here insisted if he did not go in the middle of the second round our basketball program was over.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:40:00 AM by madtownwarrior »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 08:16:29 AM »
It true, many here were demanding Wojo go to Augusta the weekend of the Masters.  Problem is the commercial flights were sold out, no space in The airport for a private plane, and no hotel rooms were available. Other suggests he fly to Savannah or Atlanta and drive.

Of course he could have gone the week before or after and it was wide open.  But some here insisted if he did not go in the middle of the second round our basketball program was over.

I don't think he went...but I think it was because he knew it was going to be a waste of his time.  If Hill suggested that Master's week would have been best, Wojo would have found a way.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 09:39:52 AM »

Hold on...no one seriously suggested that right?

It was suggested as a serious reason for Wojo delaying his trip to talk to Hill

If the meme bracket hadn't already been set, I think this could have cracked the last four in
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 09:55:03 AM »

I could really care less about Hill anymore, but want to correct you. I looked into commercial flights every day the week of the Masters and there was plenty of availability. He could have taken a commercial flight and your statement is just flat out wrong. I don't know about flying in on a private plane, but I would also think that would have been feasible. There were hotel rooms available. The hotels were very crowded, but were only 92% of capacity...so he could have found a room if he really wanted to. In summary, don't assume things and maybe do a little research before you post things that are untrue.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 10:41:41 AM »
I could really care less about Hill anymore, but want to correct you. I looked into commercial flights every day the week of the Masters and there was plenty of availability. He could have taken a commercial flight and your statement is just flat out wrong. I don't know about flying in on a private plane, but I would also think that would have been feasible. There were hotel rooms available. The hotels were very crowded, but were only 92% of capacity...so he could have found a room if he really wanted to. In summary, don't assume things and maybe do a little research before you post things that are untrue.

It just seems more likely that Wojo spoke with Hill and determined that the odds of keeping him didn't justify the trip.  Given Hill's comments about how Buzz was like a father figure to him, it wouldn't be surprising if this was the case.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 10:51:05 AM »
this - just awesome, why the hell would one waste their time checking the availability of commercial flights and hotels to determine if a basketball coach had the means to visit a recruit he may or may not want for a recruit that may or may not want to come to the his university.

did you check if the recruit had a dentist appointment or something that day that maybe he used to turn down a meeting with Wojo?   

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 11:00:38 AM »

For the record, their is no such thing as a "sold out flight"  You can always buy a ticket.  Then you get to the airport and find out it was overbooked and you're bumped.

Also, read a story that Augusta's airport has a limited number of slots for private planes and those fill up months in advance.  Once they are gone, no planes are accepted.

Again, Augusta is as easy as going to the Dells 51 weeks year.  Impossible if not planned months in advance the week of the Masters. 

Why is this so shocking?

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
this - just awesome, why the hell would one waste their time checking the availability of commercial flights and hotels to determine if a basketball coach had the means to visit a recruit he may or may not want for a recruit that may or may not want to come to the his university.

did you check if the recruit had a dentist appointment or something that day that maybe he used to turn down a meeting with Wojo?   

I checked it out when someone suggested he wouldn't be able to get into Augusta. I was bored and curious...took about 5 minutes to look into. Why are you concerned what I do with my time??

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 11:11:22 AM »
I checked it out when someone suggested he wouldn't be able to get into Augusta. I was bored and curious...took about 5 minutes to look into. Why are you concerned what I do with my time??
Because it is called deflection, which is running rampant in today's times. Somebody challenges if Wojo made an effort to see Hill, somebody offers a lame excuse for him not flying there, that lame excuse is refuted by you, so now you are criticized for wasting your time.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:57:41 PM by rocky_warrior »
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 11:23:46 AM »
It just seems more likely that Wojo spoke with Hill and determined that the odds of keeping him didn't justify the trip.  Given Hill's comments about how Buzz was like a father figure to him, it wouldn't be surprising if this was the case.

This is obviously the answer. 

The idea that the Augusta airport is too busy during Master's week is dumb.  Yeah, it very well might be, but there are other airports within easy driving distance.  And if they highest rated prospect was seriously still considering Marquette, Wojo would have made the effort.  He drove up to visit Cohen in Seymour right?

brandx

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 11:55:29 AM »

The idea that the Augusta airport is too busy during Master's week is dumb.  Yeah, it very well might be, but there are other airports within easy driving distance.  And if they highest rated prospect was seriously still considering Marquette, Wojo would have made the effort.  He drove up to visit Cohen in Seymour right?

Exactly right. It's amazing how people here have all the answers when they have no clue what Wojo did or said or when he did or said it.

The airport, the Masters, the hotel situation are ALL irrelevant. If there was a chance to get Hill, Wojo would have done whatever was necessary.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 12:03:24 PM »
Exactly right. It's amazing how people here have all the answers when they have no clue what Wojo did or said or when he did or said it.

The airport, the Masters, the hotel situation are ALL irrelevant. If there was a chance to get Hill, Wojo would have done whatever was necessary.

It very well could be irrelevant. I was pointing out that posters who said he was unable to fly into Augusta, or couldn't get a hotel room are wrong.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2014, 12:05:45 PM »
It very well could be irrelevant. I was pointing out that posters who said he was unable to fly into Augusta, or couldn't get a hotel room are wrong.

He could have flown into Aiken, SC with a private jet.  30 minutes away.  Athens and Greenville are each about two hours away.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2014, 12:07:25 PM »
For the record, their is no such thing as a "sold out flight"  You can always buy a ticket.  Then you get to the airport and find out it was overbooked and you're bumped.

Also, read a story that Augusta's airport has a limited number of slots for private planes and those fill up months in advance.  Once they are gone, no planes are accepted.

Again, Augusta is as easy as going to the Dells 51 weeks year.  Impossible if not planned months in advance the week of the Masters. 

Why is this so shocking?

You can't always buy a ticket. They have a certain amount that they will overbook. Airlines averaged 2.44 bumps per 10,000 fliers last year. Pretty good odds you are getting on the flight you booked.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2014, 12:10:44 PM »
You can't always buy a ticket. They have a certain amount that they will overbook. Airlines averaged 2.44 bumps per 10,000 fliers last year. Pretty good odds you are getting on the flight you booked.

Yea, well my mom and I were those 2 last December. Ended up working out in the long run as we got a nice check to go with being bumped.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2014, 12:12:07 PM »

He could have flown into Aiken, SC with a private jet.  30 minutes away.  Athens and Greenville are each about two hours away.

He could have made the trip if he wanted to. I think Hill was a lost cause and would have followed Brent to any college he went to coach for. This was probably apparent to Wojo and he decided not to pursue a dead end. Who cares, on to bigger and better things!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2014, 12:12:17 PM »

Correct, this is the answer.

The argument about Augusta being busy Masters week was response to a question "why isn't Wojo flying there now."  I suggested that Maters week is not a good week to attempt to make an unscheduled trip to Augusta.  (I also said if Hill was interested, he would more than agree wait until the Monday or Tuesday after the Masters ... he lives in Augusta and he's "gets it").

The reason Wojo did not make the trip is he talked to Hill and realized their was no point  The rest is just a pointless tangent to this thread.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2014, 01:31:16 PM »
Yes, I was practicing my art of deflection.

Uh, no - My MO was just point out how silly it is to:

1) Judge a coach's recruiting effort (and likely program success) based on how he pursues one particular recruit
2) Of which people were providing excuses of the difficulty of traveling during Masters week 
3) Of which people felt the need to research flight and hotel availability to prove people in point #2 wrong...

All 3 are pretty silly and why you have to love message boards...

Because it is called deflection, which is running rampant in today's times. Somebody challenges if Wojo made an effort to see Hill, somebody offers a lame excuse for him not flying there, that lame excuse is refuted by you, so now you are criticized for wasting your time. Sort of like the Benghazi bombshell is exploding, and all the media wants to talk about is the pissant story of the douche Sterling saga.Deflection. Anything to change the subject.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2014, 02:59:11 PM »
I don't know about flying in on a private plane, but I would also think that would have been feasible.

You are correct. There would have been zero problem flying a GV into that field that week.

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2014, 07:19:03 PM »
Rube? Good one! Speaking of simple minds, you should know. And you sir, just fell off the turnip truck, and also gained an ignore.

BTW--are you saying the IRS scandal is made up?

So, you put brandx on ignore, and then you ask him a question.  Why am I not surprised?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »
I think some of these were offers made by Buzz. For example, I haven't heard anything about Wojo offering Daniel Giddens or Jaylen Brown, but I know that Buzz was pursuing them.

Yes, but Wojo has upheld all those offers as well as given out new ones

brandx

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2014, 09:52:04 PM »
So, you put brandx on ignore, and then you ask him a question.  Why am I not surprised?

Tell him to put me back on ignore!!!!!!!

feedback