[Today at 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Archdiocese of New Orleans  (Read 2512 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Re: Archdiocese of New Orleans
« Reply #100 on: Today at 04:04:07 PM »
Tower, this is a very good point and something most folks in the secular world and probably most of our bishops just don't get.

The late Cardinal Bernadin of Chicago, for example, spoke of the seamless garment of life. It meant being against abortion, capital punishment, euthanasia and tending to the physical and spiritual needs of all of God's people. Depending on the specific issue, the Cardinal's positions were either wildly conservative or crazy liberal.

We had a friend in Libertyville who once asked my Democratic-focused wife, "how can you be a Catholic and a Democrat?" To which my wife sternly responded, "how can you be a Catholic and a Republican?"

Most of us who are followers of Jesus tend to formulate our politics, at least in part, through the teachings of Scripture. We don't always succeed in getting to where we're prompted by the teachings of Jesus and our church, but dare I say, we try. Last Sunday's Gospel was quite clear in this matter. Jesus told us, "Love One Another!"
Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, as my kingdom is not of this world.

The founding fathers threw off the yoke of a state (king) sponsored and paid for religion (Church of England) in favor of a separation of Church and state. The idea was good.

In matters of state, governance and the laws of man we focus on civilized man's relationship with other men involving solely this mortal coil. Because the paths of the millions vary so much, modern civil governance functions best with a free information flow, and a well-informed citizenry driving to compromise and consensus. Imperfect as the public governmental product resulting, at least we then know it is the product of all of us, including many with whom we may not agree. It works until it doesn't and then it will change. I am quite comfortable that democratic governance will never reflect my personal belief, nor should it as good governance involves compromise to the views of both majority and minority, which our republic is well structured to accommodate and protect.

On the other hand, my faith and relation with God is purely personal. I bear an anachronistic view that no man may tell another what he is to believe in matters of faith. Please don't ever let my religious beliefs (or what I post here) influence yours. I am the loner who loves a quiet seat alone in the church loft. I have no problem with my personal beliefs viz politics. My relationship with God is highly personal, faith driven and uncompromising. In politics its interpersonal, ie my relationship and interaction with other men, so by definition its imperfect, accepting of compromise for the good of all. I strive to keep them totally separated.

Church state separation is equally important to the success of religion. Religions throughout history are diminished and get off their original exquisite central spiritual message by involvement in man's affairs. Early Christians struggled on Jewish law adherence including as to circumcision, as their new religion would be outed in the secular public baths. The New Testament is silent on gays...gotta rely on the Torah..Deuteronomy(sp?)...while there meander through the other dietary and health laws now considered arcane. The Koran starts out good then watch the struggles after Md. becomes the earthly leader of Mecca and must impose laws on men. Religion meets its lofty higher than man goals by staying in its lane, and above the earthly fray of politics.

BTW sorry for the tone here. It should be more muted and gentlemanly, I know.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Archdiocese of New Orleans
« Reply #101 on: Today at 05:20:46 PM »
Thanks for either refusing to answer the question or being unable to answer the question (or, more likely, both).

I'm gonna go with thousands of little boys raped by priests, with the Catholic Church covering it up for decades, being the most nefarious thing perpetrated by them in my lifetime until proven otherwise.

Thankfully, talented, hard-working journalists uncovered the scandal.

yes there happen to be a few good hard working, honest journalists, what happened?? michael rose committed a flagrant act of journalism.  i wish we had more like him.  unfortunately, those who preach for DEI only mean their kind of DEI

yes, we all know about the the tragic and evil things perpetrated by the catholic church.  no need to dance on that pile of excrement for your enjoyment. i sure hope your high priests have not...oh yeah, you don't believe in anything

note, these are sick people obviously, but remember...why do they rob the "banks"?  because that's where the "money" is

don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback