collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 318247 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #800 on: April 29, 2020, 11:25:48 PM »
How about this...when other major countries start shutting down due to a health crisis that is jumping from one country to the next, listen to your health experts and start preparing for it to hit your country, rather than relying on a miracle (the words of the man you *did not* vote for).

Seems like a simple, good starting point.

This is great entertainment, Wades. The more he tries to prove he is not Chico, the more he sounds just like him.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #801 on: April 30, 2020, 07:26:50 AM »
Better or worse then your prediction the national guard would be out patrolling the streets handing out large fines for those not abiding by the stay at home orders?

Guess you're just going to ignore the "or" there.  Boy that's convenient for your argument.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #802 on: April 30, 2020, 07:43:42 AM »
How about this...when other major countries start shutting down due to a health crisis that is jumping from one country to the next, listen to your health experts and start preparing for it to hit your country, rather than relying on a miracle (the words of the man you *did not* vote for).

Seems like a simple, good starting point.

Remember when trump banned travel from China and Biden called him a xenophobe and Pelosi told everyone to venture to Chinatown to show support?

Ya this was a failing at all levels, on both sides.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #803 on: April 30, 2020, 07:47:12 AM »
Remember when trump banned travel from China and Biden called him a xenophobe and Pelosi told everyone to venture to Chinatown to show support?

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/mar/27/donald-trump/fact-checking-whether-biden-called-trump-xenophobi/

Biden said Trump has a history of Xenophobia.    Right after he wrote an editorial warning about the lack of preparation for the coming Pandemic.   

But yes, there is plenty of failure and learning opportunities to go around.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #804 on: April 30, 2020, 07:49:34 AM »

Biden's not the President.  Pelosi isn't the President.  The idea that you would put up these two at the same level as the elected leader of the country and say "ah well...both sides" is really dumb.  You are giving the guy who heads the government a pass by lumping him in with a former vice president who holds no position now, and a Congresswoman.

I guess you fall for Trump's anti-Trumanesque line: the buck stops somwhere else....never here.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 07:51:27 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #805 on: April 30, 2020, 07:54:35 AM »

Biden's not the President.  Pelosi isn't the President.  The idea that you would put up these two at the same level as the elected leader of the country and say "ah well...both sides" is really dumb.  You are giving the guy who heads the government a pass by lumping him in with a former vice president who holds no position now, and a Congresswoman.

I guess you fall for Trump's anti-Trumanesque line: the buck stops somwhere else....never here.

What of all the state governors who also were to slow to act.

Why was Wisconsin border not closed? Why wasn't milwaukee placed into lockdown? Evers was slow to act, so was every single elected official in the country.

Maybe we should remove all of them.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #806 on: April 30, 2020, 07:55:56 AM »
But if we as a society fail to learn lessons from this and strive to improve our institutions, then we as a society will deserve the next, worse, pandemic.
We learned a lot from H1N1 and Ebola. Unfortunately someone dismantled the structures that were put in place, ignored their PDBs throughout January and February, and tried to wish the pandemic away.

No one thinks COVID-19 wouldn't have still happened, but we were prepared to mitigate the effects. There were institutions in place and a playbook (originally developed during Bush's 2nd term FWIW) to handle this which was ignored/thrown away, costing many tens of thousands of lives and likely damaging the economy much more than if we had handled this by the book.

I wish I had any confidence that we've learned anything from this, but I suspect there are still too many people that think gaslighting exemplifies "exceptional leadership".
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #807 on: April 30, 2020, 08:07:40 AM »

Why was Wisconsin border not closed? Why wasn't milwaukee placed into lockdown? Evers was slow to act, so was every single elected official in the country.

Uhh...what?

Wisconsin started talking about safer at home in mid March before many states.  When it was obvious after a weekend and the early part of St. Patricks Day that people weren't paying attention he mandated it.  There was less than 100 postive tests in the state at the time.

He by and large did what he could, using methods he could control.  Compare and contrast to the President...who has a little more power, authority and resources at his disposal than a state governor.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #808 on: April 30, 2020, 08:14:10 AM »
Governors really only had one tool in their toolbox.   Quarantine.    Michigan had its first confirmed case on March 10 and started closing down on March 12.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #809 on: April 30, 2020, 08:29:21 AM »

I do not recall that. I do wish our “leader” had shown any preparation for when this hit. I’m glad our “leader” put a travel ban in place earlier than some thought he should have. If he would’ve done anything to prepare us for getting hit by covid 19 the ban might’ve made a difference. But here we are opening the country back up despite not meeting any of the criteria set forth by the guidelines our federal government gave us to reopen.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #810 on: April 30, 2020, 08:34:47 AM »
I do not recall that. I do wish our “leader” had shown any preparation for when this hit. I’m glad our “leader” put a travel ban in place earlier than some thought he should have. If he would’ve done anything to prepare us for getting hit by covid 19 the ban might’ve made a difference. But here we are opening the country back up despite not meeting any of the criteria set forth by the guidelines our federal government gave us to reopen.

And it wasn't even really a ban.

Plus, studies have shown that COVID-19 actually came here from Europe.

But don't worry ... President Pandemic has now ordered full investigations into conspiracy theories that the virus was manufactured in Wuhan and sent to America to kill us all. He is desperate to blame as many people not named Trump as possible. Given his plummeting approval rating, I don't blame him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #811 on: April 30, 2020, 10:03:32 AM »

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-census/n11327

At 2:45

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #812 on: April 30, 2020, 10:48:05 AM »

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/whataboutism

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #813 on: April 30, 2020, 11:13:57 AM »
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/whataboutism
Yes, this is whataboutism, and much could have/should have been said and done differently.  But FFS, what a bunch of selective memories people have. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #814 on: April 30, 2020, 01:39:38 PM »

I don't think a State can close its border due to the impact on interstate commerce.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #815 on: April 30, 2020, 02:44:04 PM »

It seems as though you say this to excuse the utter incompetence at the national level. Evers issued the stay at home order when there were well under 500 cases in Wisconsin. The US has less than 5% of the world's population. The US has 33% of the world's covid cases (Based on current stats and yes, I know these are not exact numbers).

There have been governors of both parties that have done an outstanding job trying to protect their states. There have also been governors of only one party that just want to please the white house and have little to no regard for their citizens. There are currently governors in several states sentencing people to death - ordering them to work in mass-infected meat plants without proper protection. Any refusal to do so will be a forfeiture or unemployment rights.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #816 on: April 30, 2020, 02:57:57 PM »

There are currently governors in several states sentencing people to death - ordering them to work in mass-infected meat plants without proper protection. Any refusal to do so will be a forfeiture or unemployment rights.

While I agree with you on this. I will echo a post you told me a few weeks ago.

"lifes not fair, be glad you get to go out and risk your life each day while others stay at home"

;D

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #817 on: April 30, 2020, 03:14:25 PM »
While I agree with you on this. I will echo a post you told me a few weeks ago.

"lifes not fair, be glad you get to go out and risk your life each day while others stay at home"

;D

Glad you put the smiley face there.

What I said was "My point was life doesn’t have to be fair. If you are on the frontlines, then I commend you and give the utmost respect".

Just a bit different than what you say that I said.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #818 on: April 30, 2020, 07:10:00 PM »
Meat processors are on the front lines?

I'm guessing that when most folks agreed to work at those plants, they didn't know that.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #819 on: April 30, 2020, 09:06:22 PM »
It seems as though you say this to excuse the utter incompetence at the national level. Evers issued the stay at home order when there were well under 500 cases in Wisconsin. The US has less than 5% of the world's population. The US has 33% of the world's covid cases (Based on current stats and yes, I know these are not exact numbers).

There have been governors of both parties that have done an outstanding job trying to protect their states. There have also been governors of only one party that just want to please the white house and have little to no regard for their citizens. There are currently governors in several states sentencing people to death - ordering them to work in mass-infected meat plants without proper protection. Any refusal to do so will be a forfeiture or unemployment rights.
[/quote

I know Cuomo has made some shaky decisions when it comes to putting people in harms way but what other governors are you referring too?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #820 on: April 30, 2020, 09:08:41 PM »
Meat processors are on the front lines?

I'm guessing that when most folks agreed to work at those plants, they didn't know that.

I’m sure same can be said for pot shops, liquor stores, Home Depot, on and on.....the list of front line essential workers is pretty long and very random state by state

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #821 on: April 30, 2020, 10:56:36 PM »

Some area of the US have been a disaster, others not nearly as bad. New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Connecticut represent 11.8% of the population but (according to the IMHE model) will account for 56% of the deaths from Covid. Add Michigan, Pennsylvania, Illinois and Louisiana to that number and you have less than 25% of the population accounting for more than 70% of fatalities. Meanwhile, California, Florida and Texas represent 27.1% of the population but will contribute only 7.2% of the deaths.

Don’t know if it’s true, but someone texted me that Governor Cuomo was forcing nursing home to admit or re admit positive testing patients while beds at the Javitts Center and on that ship that was sent to him went unused. Again, just something I was told, but if true he’s the only governor I know with blood on his hands.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #822 on: April 30, 2020, 11:01:18 PM »

I'll make you a deal : I won't vote for Cuomo and you don't vote for Trump. This isn't about being "slow to act" , this is about having no plan and no semblance of leadership throughout. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #823 on: April 30, 2020, 11:01:43 PM »
Some area of the US have been a disaster, others not nearly as bad. New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Connecticut represent 11.8% of the population but (according to the IMHE model) will account for 56% of the deaths from Covid. Add Michigan, Pennsylvania, Illinois and Louisiana to that number and you have less than 25% of the population accounting for more than 70% of fatalities. Meanwhile, California, Florida and Texas represent 27.1% of the population but will contribute only 7.2% of the deaths.

Don’t know if it’s true, but someone texted me that Governor Cuomo was forcing nursing home to admit or re admit positive testing patients while beds at the Javitts Center and on that ship that was sent to him went unused. Again, just something I was told, but if true he’s the only governor I know with blood on his hands.

Your friend was right.  Navy ship and field hospitals sat empty while he was forcing nursing home residents who tested positive right back into the nursing home.  An insane decision.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wgrz.com/amp/article/news/health/coronavirus/cuomo-nursing-homes-dont-have-the-right-to-object-to-order-requiring-admission-of-covid-19-patients-coronavirus/71-370ce285-0a0d-4df1-90c5-b5af508444df

MU82

• All American
« Reply #824 on: April 30, 2020, 11:09:26 PM »
I’m sure same can be said for pot shops, liquor stores, Home Depot, on and on.....the list of front line essential workers is pretty long and very random state by state

Employees at pot shops, liquor stores, Home Depot, and on and on ... aren't being ordered back to work in unsafe factories in which hundreds upon hundreds of them are getting sick, many seriously ill, some dead.

Don't toss out strawman arguments. They don't help your case.

My "front lines" comment obviously was referring to the likes of doctors and nurses -- who know that, at some point in their careers, it's possible they will have to deal with situations like this. I'm married to a nurse. She has always known it.

However, I seriously doubt some guy processing ham hocks thought he would have to deal with this kind of thing. And I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt he thought that the president of the United States would try to force him to.

feedback