collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Journal-Sentinel: Vander Blue to appear in court on assault and battery charge  (Read 17039 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I'm all for the express lane, especially for those where there is zero doubt in guilt.  Like the woman who tazed the pregnant woman in Kentucky last week, slit her throat and wrists and cut out the baby from her womb so she could have it.

I'd have her on the express lane so fast it would make your head spin.  Other folks want to give here 3 squares and a cot along with a lifetime of rehabilitation.  Sorry, no dice in my opinion.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
That Old Testament "Eye for an Eye," eh?  Why in heck did that hippie from Nazareth have to make the scene with that "Peace and Love" crap, anyway?  What's all that "love thy neighbor," "judge not, lest ye be judged" yadda, yadda, yadda.  Puh-leeze.

Happy Easter, anyway!
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Lennys Tap

• All American
I'm all for the express lane, especially for those where there is zero doubt in guilt.  Like the woman who tazed the pregnant woman in Kentucky last week, slit her throat and wrists and cut out the baby from her womb so she could have it.

I'd have her on the express lane so fast it would make your head spin.  Other folks want to give here 3 squares and a cot along with a lifetime of rehabilitation.  Sorry, no dice in my opinion.

I think everyone's first reaction to a story like this is the same as yours. The problem is human beings are the ones to determine what zero doubt means. Innocent people about whom police, prosecutors and juries have had zero (or virtually zero) doubt have been convicted and even executed for forever. That gives me pause.

Lethdorr

• Walk-On
I think everyone's first reaction to a story like this is the same as yours. The problem is human beings are the ones to determine what zero doubt means. Innocent people about whom police, prosecutors and juries have had zero (or virtually zero) doubt have been convicted and even executed for forever. That gives me pause.

"Beyond a reasonable doubt" is often thought to mean "Zero Doubt". However, if the burden of proof to convict was set at a level of "0% - absolutely no doubt whatsoever, he did it", we would see felony convictions plummet to the single digit-level nationwide.

"Reasonable" means just that, "Is there a logically sound reason that this guy really didn't do it?".

"Zero doubt" would be, "Well, there IS a 0.00000000000000000...infinity-1% chance this guy actually put on a dress and robbed bank yelling 'What is the frequency?? Baba Booey, Howard Stern!' because the 'Angel Moroni' told him to. God DID tell Jesus to go bat-guano crazy on those money-changers who were 'defiling' his temple....who knows...maybe God just had a bad day!"
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:43:22 PM by Lethdorr »

Lethdorr

• Walk-On
A new, non-broken mouse = less effort to click, which = learning curve. Edited to remove the resulting Double-post.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:46:11 PM by Lethdorr »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
A new, non-broken mouse = less effort to click, which = learning curve. Edited to remove the resulting Double-post.

I have a reasonable doubt that your new mouse led to double posting.  I suspect you're just impatient and decided to click "post" a second time when the new page didn't appear as quickly as you would have liked.  ;)

Lethdorr

• Walk-On
I have a reasonable doubt that your new mouse led to double posting.  I suspect you're just impatient and decided to click "post" a second time when the new page didn't appear as quickly as you would have liked.  ;)

I must thank you sir, for your unintentional (yet welcomed) reminder of one of the great mentors in my life - someone who made such an impact on me that - without whom - I can unequivocally state I would not have been able to achieve the blessings that fill my life, today.

Truly one of the last of the giants to roam the halls of Sensenbrenner, the late, great man we were proud to call "Uncle Bob" once said, "When you know you've got them - and they know it, too - no two words are more satisfying to hear than: mea cullpa."

Well played, sir.

In honor of Dean Boden, mea cullpa.   :D

Lennys Tap

• All American
"Beyond a reasonable doubt" is often thought to mean "Zero Doubt". However, if the burden of proof to convict was set at a level of "0% - absolutely no doubt whatsoever, he did it", we would see felony convictions plummet to the single digit-level nationwide.

"Reasonable" means just that, "Is there a logically sound reason that this guy really didn't do it?".

"Zero doubt" would be, "Well, there IS a 0.00000000000000000...infinity-1% chance this guy actually put on a dress and robbed bank yelling 'What is the frequency?? Baba Booey, Howard Stern!' because the 'Angel Moroni' told him to. God DID tell Jesus to go bat-guano crazy on those money-changers who were 'defiling' his temple....who knows...maybe God just had a bad day!"

I understand and agree with you on the distinction between zero doubt and reasonable doubt. It's why I included (virtually zero doubt) which for me would be what constitutes beyond a reasonable doubt. A legal definition of reasonable doubt may exist, but individuals will still inevitably apply it differently. I think most people would agree that before the state executes someone there ought to be as close to zero doubt as is humanly possible about the person's guilt. In spite of this the state sometimes gets the wrong guy. For me that stops the discussion of capital punishment befre it really starts.

HouWarrior

• All American
Wow--a thread on a class C Muni court non jailable offenses progresses to capital punishment....this must be the slippery slope facing Vander if he fails to mend his ways. lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Lethdorr

• Walk-On
Wow--a thread on a class C Muni court non jailable offenses progresses to capital punishment....this must be the slippery slope facing Vander if he fails to mend his ways. lol

Aw crap, we've got murderers on our team now? When I heard about this Muni Citation, I just knew we were on the road to becoming the next Baylor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor_University_basketball_scandal).

I'd only start to worry, though, if Vander was represented by a criminal defense attorney who's tried a capital murd--

Aw crap.

Well, at least we know if he does go down that slippery slope, he'd be well-represented  ;D

Seriously though, I put a great deal of this hype on the Journal-Sentinel. Sure it was public record, but it had BEEN just as public since the initial citation was issued. So the kid pleads not guilty to a ticket...to us? We think: "big whup." JS's thought process? "Holy crap! We've got to break this huge story before that b* Kathy Mykleby scoops us AGAIN! Quick! To the Bat Cave!"

Since WISN has Broadcast & Electronic Communication interns from Marquette, recently, they've scooped the Journal-Sentinel/TMJ-4 (and even the Marquette Tribune) on every Marquette "scandal" that's come out this year.

This was the JS's chance to break the story of "the next Marquette scandal" first. Bravo...  :-\

Coleman

• All American
Aw crap, we've got murderers on our team now? When I heard about this Muni Citation, I just knew we were on the road to becoming the next Baylor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor_University_basketball_scandal).

I'd only start to worry, though, if Vander was represented by a criminal defense attorney who's tried a capital murd--

Aw crap.

Well, at least we know if he does go down that slippery slope, he'd be well-represented  ;D

Seriously though, I put a great deal of this hype on the Journal-Sentinel. Sure it was public record, but it had BEEN just as public since the initial citation was issued. So the kid pleads not guilty to a ticket...to us? We think: "big whup." JS's thought process? "Holy crap! We've got to break this huge story before that b* Kathy Mykleby scoops us AGAIN! Quick! To the Bat Cave!"

Since WISN has Broadcast & Electronic Communication interns from Marquette, recently, they've scooped the Journal-Sentinel/TMJ-4 (and even the Marquette Tribune) on every Marquette "scandal" that's come out this year.

This was the JS's chance to break the story of "the next Marquette scandal" first. Bravo...  :-\
Is blue the new teal?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Is blue the new teal?

blue means I'm super serious.

feedback