[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another example of (sports) hero worship...  (Read 5407 times)

jesmu84

• All American

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Another example of (sports) hero worship...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:11:30 PM »
At least he didn't crack someone's coconut with a bottle of Dom.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brandx

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/14/jameis-winston-sexual-assault-investigation-florida-state-university-cover-up/

yes, i realize it's tmz. but this stuff pisses me off.

May or may not be a story - but one thing I can guarantee is that I will never stoop to reading or listening to TMZ

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 07:58:16 AM »
Left out of the TMZ article (and many media reports) is that the person accused of committing the actual assault is not Winston. The police report describes the offender as being between 5'9" and 5'11" with straight hair. That most certainly does not describe Winston. Obviously, that doesn't mean that he wasn't involved in some capacity but it also does not appear as though Winston is under investigation for committing sexual assault despite what the media would like us to believe.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 08:34:59 AM »
Also left out is that the alleged victim initially hemmed and hawed about moving forward.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 09:14:44 AM »
May or may not be a story - but one thing I can guarantee is that I will never stoop to reading or listening to TMZ

You guys might want to join us in the Internet age...it's the TMZs of the world that tend to be first in on breaking stories these days.

brandx

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 01:17:33 PM »
You guys might want to join us in the Internet age...it's the TMZs of the world that tend to be first in on breaking stories these days.

I work in the IT industry so I guess I'd have to say I have joined.

But if you think TMZ is interested in news stories, you might need to join reality   :o

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 01:33:45 PM »
I work in the IT industry so I guess I'd have to say I have joined.

But if you think TMZ is interested in news stories, you might need to join reality   :o

Ah, you mean the google industry.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 12:30:54 AM »
Left out of the TMZ article (and many media reports) is that the person accused of committing the actual assault is not Winston. The police report describes the offender as being between 5'9" and 5'11" with straight hair. That most certainly does not describe Winston. Obviously, that doesn't mean that he wasn't involved in some capacity but it also does not appear as though Winston is under investigation for committing sexual assault despite what the media would like us to believe.

What's that now?

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=10009077

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 07:05:22 AM »
What's that now?

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=10009077

It's a bizarre story. That's for sure. Either the accuser changed her story (which seems likely given the DNA test) or there was some very faulty reporting.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 07:50:02 AM »
It's a bizarre story. That's for sure. Either the accuser changed her story (which seems likely given the DNA test) or there was some very faulty reporting.

This is heading down the same predictable path that these things always go down.  Ugly.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 07:54:21 AM »

One of the very firs things I read on this indicated in some fashion (I don't really recall exactly), that the height/weight thing was believed to be inaccurate. Where the inaccuracy came from (witness or reporting) I don't know, but all indications were that Winston was their guy, despite what the reported description did or did not say. I find that easy to believe, as I would guess that most witness physical description estimates are highly inaccurate.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:01:49 AM by NavinRJohnson »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 08:05:52 AM »

This is heading down the same predictable path that these things always go down.  Ugly.

The guy is absolutely innocent until proven guilty, and legitimate questions about the accusation can be asked, but it is extremely hard not to be cynical when investigators come out and say that nothing will be known for at least two weeks...after ACC Championship game, Heisman voting, etc.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 08:15:56 AM »
The guy is absolutely innocent until proven guilty, and legitimate questions about the accusation can be asked, but it is extremely hard not to be cynical when investigators come out and say that nothing will be known for at least two weeks...after ACC Championship game, Heisman voting, etc.

Well, the state attorneys office did just find out about this two weeks ago.

It could get even uglier if they arrest and charge Winston...and then allow him to play in the BCSCG under their exceptions clause.  That would actually require me to root for Alabama two years in a row.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 08:32:32 AM »

Well, the state attorneys office did just find out about this two weeks ago.

It could get even uglier if they arrest and charge Winston...and then allow him to play in the BCSCG under their exceptions clause.  That would actually require me to root for Alabama two years in a row.

I have a weird feeling Auburn is taking Bama down this week

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 08:36:01 AM »

Rematch: Florida State vs. Northern Illinois! This time for all the marbles!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 08:45:02 AM »

I don't think so.  Auburn's defense is porous, and Alabama eats offenses like Auburn's for lunch. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 10:22:07 AM »

there is also that nasty 'lil detail about some peoples connected to florida st. program that gave her an offer she couldn't/shouldn't refuse ;D ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 10:48:18 AM »

Boy, I see way more possibilities than those two.
Like, say, a police department that's extremely friendly to the local football team (i.e. notified the team's attorney and campus police, but not the state's attorney; didn't even bother questioning the suspect; waited months to start collecting evidence) discouraged a victim then buried the investigation.

I'm not saying that happened. I have no idea. But it seems at least as plausible as your version.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 03:16:25 PM »
Uh-oh.
Tallahassee detective who initially investigated the rape accusation against Winston sought employment with FSU booster group and has numerous ties to FSU.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--detective-in-jameis-winston-case-requested-work-with-florida-state-booster-group-182713080.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 06:27:45 PM »

:P

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2013, 07:03:12 AM »

:P

chico!!!  did ya lay any bones on it?  auburn getting 10 with a money line of 355!!    nice call!!
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 01:59:23 PM »
chico!!!  did ya lay any bones on it?  auburn getting 10 with a money line of 355!!    nice call!!

No bones.  I'll do fun wagering from time to time with friends, but not with bookies.  For some reason I've always been really good at college football picks...wish it translated to the NFL. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 07:14:50 AM »
I'm sure someone here knows more about this than me, but I'm curious. Considering there's going to be an announcement this afternoon, doesn't that seem to indicate that Winston won't be charged? I mean, if they were going to arrest him, wouldn't they get the warrant and go arrest him as opposed to calling a press conference?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 07:57:39 AM »
I'm sure someone here knows more about this than me, but I'm curious. Considering there's going to be an announcement this afternoon, doesn't that seem to indicate that Winston won't be charged? I mean, if they were going to arrest him, wouldn't they get the warrant and go arrest him as opposed to calling a press conference?

If there's charges, safe to say that by the time the press conference is held, they will have been filed, and he will already be in custody. One report I saw last night suggested they would already have been in touch with his lawyers to provide him an opportunity to come in voluntarily under the dark of night. I don't really know, but I assume the timing of announcement is related in some way to when his court appearance (if any) would be, etc.

If I had to guess, there will be no charges, and the announcement will largely be not enough evidence, conflicting evidence, etc., coupled with some sort of admonishment of those who handled (or didnt) the initial investigation.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:08:24 AM by NavinRJohnson »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 01:52:13 PM »
I have no idea on most of the details about the case. Having said that, like every other instance before this one, it seems a bit shady all around.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 01:58:28 PM »
I have no idea on most of the details about the case. Having said that, like every other instance before this one, it seems a bit shady all around.

The prosecutor said this:  "We have a duty as prosecutors to only file charges if we have a reasonable likelihood of a conviction....  We did not feel we could meet that burden."

That IMO is pretty darn near a "I think something illegal went on....but I can't prove it" type of implication.

So is it shady, as in did he get preferential treatment from the DA?  I don't think so. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 02:15:15 PM »

The prosecutor said this:  "We have a duty as prosecutors to only file charges if we have a reasonable likelihood of a conviction....  We did not feel we could meet that burden."

That IMO is pretty darn near a "I think something illegal went on....but I can't prove it" type of implication.

So is it shady, as in did he get preferential treatment from the DA?  I don't think so.  

It is a very odd case, particularly in the way that it played out almost a year after the incident took place. On top of that, you have the officer telling the accuser that she needs to think long and hard about pressing charges because FSU fans could make her life hell. Was that a threat because he was biased toward FSU football or was he sincerely warning her of what would likely happen if she moved forward?

Also, I'm no lawyer, but if this had gone to trial, I'd have to think that the defense would be able to portray her as a liar right off the bat. She claims to have been basically blackout drunk that night (which also hurts her case) but the toxicology report showed her with a BAC of .04. Tough for the prosectutor to come back from that, I'd think.

Having said all that, the cynic in me can't help but think that there were some shady actions from the TPD.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 02:18:26 PM »
Oh I agree that things look shady, or at the least very in appropriate, from the Police Department.  I just think the DA's hand are tied here.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 02:21:01 PM »
Oh I agree that things look shady, or at the least very in appropriate, from the Police Department.  I just think the DA's hand are tied here.

Agreed.

Does anyone expect anything to come of this from the university? When MU had some front-page issues, we lost an AD and such.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »
Agreed.

Does anyone expect anything to come of this from the university? When MU had some front-page issues, we lost an AD and such.

Doubtful. The MU case was a breakdown in protocol between Public Safety and the MPD. I don't believe the university was directly involved in the Winston case.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:25:27 PM by MerrittsMustache »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 02:24:41 PM »
nm

feedback